Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,578,491
  • Total Topics: 106,671
  • Online Today: 1,086
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 04:49:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Mummy (2017)

Started by Noodle Lizard, December 05, 2016, 07:57:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Noodle Lizard

The Mummy (2017) Trailer - starring Tom Cruise as a bloke

This'll be shit, I reckon.  I'm actually a big admirer of the Stephen Sommers version from 1999, which is about as good a modern action/adventure film as I can recall, and manages to be genuinely a bit scary as well as balancing a good deal of comedy and fun.  This, on the other hand, looks po-faced and generic, aimed at the gamer/Marvel fan crowd I expect.  They even went and made the Mummy a fit lady!  That they're calling this the first film of the new Universal Monsters Universe is pretty disheartening, it appears to have fuckall in common with what made the Universal Monster Movies what they were.

I dunno maybe it'll be good.  It won't, though, it'll be shit I reckon.

kngen

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on December 05, 2016, 07:57:31 PM
The Mummy (2017) Trailer - starring Tom Cruise as a bloke

This'll be shit, I reckon.  I'm actually a big admirer of the Stephen Sommers version from 1999, which is about as good a modern action/adventure film as I can recall, and manages to be genuinely a bit scary as well as balancing a good deal of comedy and fun.  This, on the other hand, looks po-faced and generic, aimed at the gamer/Marvel fan crowd I expect.  They even went and made the Mummy a fit lady!  That they're calling this the first film of the new Universal Monsters Universe is pretty disheartening, it appears to have fuckall in common with what made the Universal Monster Movies what they were.

I dunno maybe it'll be good.  It won't, though, it'll be shit I reckon.

This entire trailer was shown during an ad break in The Walking Dead last night - it seemed to go on for fucking ever (to the point that I  thought I'd changed the channel by accident). Strikes me that they're already shitting themselves that it's another Tom Cruise turkey, and are going all out with the media blitzkrieg even though it doesn't come out for another six months.

brat-sampson

Yeah, they definitely spent way too long on that clearly CGI-stunted plane crash and it was all a bit boring. Nobody thinks The Mummy was good for any stunts or scenes that didn't involve either the Mummy, Scarabs or the direct effect of plagues. A plane crash (albeit caused *by* a Plague) is none of these things.

Should've been half the length and a teaser if that's what they wanted to do. Don't make a teaser but then also make it 2.30 long, especially if you can't really fill it.

This shit's *easy*.

Brundle-Fly

So,
Spoiler alert
Westminster
[close]
gets annihilated for the third time in eighteen months? See
Spoiler alert
Independence Day 2, London Has Fallen.
[close]
too.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on December 05, 2016, 08:41:45 PM
So,
Spoiler alert
Westminster
[close]
gets annihilated for the third time in eighteen months? See
Spoiler alert
Independence Day 2, London Has Fallen.
[close]
too.

It's SUBTEXT, I bet.  Something to do with England's colonisation of Africa I bet maybe.

Didn't they already bring The Mummy to London in Stephen Sommers's (less-impressive) sequel?  I remember a bunch of Mummy Knights piss-arsing about on a double decker.

They've only gone and made The Mummy and actual mummy.

Noodle Lizard

If "fit bird in dodgy costume" is the best we're going to get as far as creature design is concerned, I'm well and truly out.

Then again, if Tom Cruise's scream at 1:17 is actually in the movie rather than just being a rushed overdub for the trailer, I'm well and truly back in.

Custard

Thing is, with the Cruiser attached it will no doubt make money. Everything he does is very calculated, and he doesn't take on any roles unless he has a good idea that it will turn a profit.

How many ongoing franchises does one bloke need though? Mission Impossible, Jack Reacher, and now this? Still, it's clearly working for him and keeping him relevant, so fair dues.

I like him, as although he's clearly a soaring nutbar, he really does seem to work ridiculously hard at making his films as fun and as decent as they can be. Just watch any behind the scenes extra on any of his films. He's like a starving dog with a bone. Just sheer passion for any project he's in. Bet he gets on directors' tits, mind. Seems like the bloke at work who arrives hours before everyone else, and never ever stops talking

Custard

Anyway, hope the CGI is as great as in The Mummy Returns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYHaarxQTFk

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Shameless Custard on December 06, 2016, 09:47:14 AM
Anyway, hope the CGI is as great as in The Mummy Returns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYHaarxQTFk

Funny how we think that's shit now and even at the time but if you showed that to somebody in say, 1980?, they'd be completely blown away. And twenty odd years before that, the whole audience would be screaming and possibly running out the cinema.

Kelvin

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on December 06, 2016, 01:28:42 PM
Funny how we think that's shit now and even at the time but if you showed that to somebody in say, 1980?, they'd be completely blown away. And twenty odd years before that, the whole audience would be screaming and possibly running out the cinema.

If that was made 50 years ago, everyone would be saying it was more effective than the CGI we have now.

Ahhhhhhhhhh

Glebe

It actually might[nb]Might.[/nb] be alright.

Maybe?[nb]Maybe?[/nb]

Steven

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on December 06, 2016, 01:28:42 PM

It's not even as good/scary as The Dark Overlord Of The Universe from the 80s Howard The Duck!

mothman

Christ. I'd managed to block that awful CGI from my memory, too. Though I now recall I went to see it with my wife when we were newly a couple, and she still married me after so I guess she must have forgotten too.

Custard

I think the last trailer has sold me on going to see this one. Plus The Cruiser doesn't just appear in any old shit, does he?

Russell Crowe is a bit off-putting, mind

Gonna watch the first Brendan Fraser one this week. Lucky lucky me!

Replies From View

Quote from: Kelvin on December 06, 2016, 01:39:10 PM
If that was made 50 years ago, everyone would be saying it was more effective than the CGI we have now.

Ahhhhhhhhhh

If it was made 100 years ago, I wonder if they'd have rendered the CGI in black and white to make it fit with the rest of the film.  Would have been a bit incongruous otherwise.

biggytitbo

If it was made a 100 years ago they'd have used a real monster.

greenman

Quote from: Shameless Custard on May 21, 2017, 10:59:24 AM
I think the last trailer has sold me on going to see this one. Plus The Cruiser doesn't just appear in any old shit, does he?

Not seen either of the Jack Reacher films but generally he seems to be a pretty good banker for a decent blockbuster but also you could argue an equally good one for said film not quite reaching its potential.

mothman

One interesting thing to consider: Crowe seems to be taking on the role here of the mentor or authority figure here - and not for the first time, he's been Superman's dad previously, after all. He's younger than Cruise.

(having seen who he's actually playing, he may not be taking on that sort of role at all, but the trailer almost seems to imply it)

Custard

Yeah, they're introducing/crowbarring Crowe's character in there as part of them trying to build a Marvel-style "universe" for their Universal monster characters

An erm...Universal Universe, if you will

Cos that's what all films have to do now

greenman - I've not seen either Jack Reacher yet either, but I know the first one is highly rated. Has Werner Herzog as the villain too!

greenman

Quote from: Shameless Custard on May 21, 2017, 01:12:38 PM
Yeah, they're introducing/crowbarring Crowe's character in there as part of them trying to build a Marvel-style "universe" for their Universal monster characters

An erm...Universal Universe, if you will

Cos that's what all films have to do now

greenman - I've not seen either Jack Reacher yet either, but I know the first one is highly rated. Has Werner Herzog as the villain too!

This is in going to relate to the Kong and Godzilla films then somehow? I'v not seen the former and honestly I think losing Gareth Edwards as a director really killed a lot of the individuality the franchise might have had anyway, this does look much more standard fare as well to me.

I actually felt the best recent Cruise blockbuster was Edge of Tomorrow but even then I think you can see the shift towards blandness in the way it uses the concept compared to Groundhog Day.

Mr Brightside

Looking forward to this. I like Tom Cruise.

up_the_hampipe

mothman

Yes, why indeed? ... is somehting I likewise ask myself often. I'm a Cruise fan. I know his films aren't aklways that challenging. I know he's the poster-boy for that weird crackpot fake religion. I know he's probably so far in the closet he's found Aslan's Christmas presents.

But I like his movies. I know I shouldn't like Vanilla Sky more than Abre Los Ojos, but I do. I liked Minority Report and War Of The Worlds. I loved Collateral. It and Magnolia who he really can act when the fancy takes him. I like Oblivion even though it's not any good. I'm still not sure how I feel about Edge Of Tomorrow but if I do have a problem with any part of it, it's not the part that's Tom Cruise. Likewise the Mission Impossible films - there's a clear trend of diminishing returns there, but again it's not something I hold against the Cruiser. I can watch Knight & Day without wanting to gouge my eyes out. Somehow. I was frankly delighted when I realised it was him in the fat suit playing Len Grossman in Tropic Thunder. Even his cameo in Austin Powers 3 delights.

I probably fancy him and don't realise it. Shit, there's a thought.

Bad Ambassador

Quote from: greenman on May 21, 2017, 01:46:27 PM
This is in going to relate to the Kong and Godzilla films then somehow? I'v not seen the former and honestly I think losing Gareth Edwards as a director really killed a lot of the individuality the franchise might have had anyway, this does look much more standard fare as well to me.

I actually felt the best recent Cruise blockbuster was Edge of Tomorrow but even then I think you can see the shift towards blandness in the way it uses the concept compared to Groundhog Day.

The Universal monsters are Dracula, Frankenstein, the Mummy, Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, the Invisible Man and the Wolf Man. Horror movies from the 30s, basically.

greenman

Quote from: Bad Ambassador on May 22, 2017, 09:28:30 AM
The Universal monsters are Dracula, Frankenstein, the Mummy, Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, the Invisible Man and the Wolf Man. Horror movies from the 30s, basically.

Ah that makes some sense although it makes a crossover tougher to see, this film seems to be playing it pretty straight so having Dracula fight the Mummy would be hard to imagine.

QuoteYes, why indeed? ... is somehting I likewise ask myself often. I'm a Cruise fan. I know his films aren't aklways that challenging. I know he's the poster-boy for that weird crackpot fake religion. I know he's probably so far in the closet he's found Aslan's Christmas presents.

But I like his movies. I know I shouldn't like Vanilla Sky more than Abre Los Ojos, but I do. I liked Minority Report and War Of The Worlds. I loved Collateral. It and Magnolia who he really can act when the fancy takes him. I like Oblivion even though it's not any good. I'm still not sure how I feel about Edge Of Tomorrow but if I do have a problem with any part of it, it's not the part that's Tom Cruise. Likewise the Mission Impossible films - there's a clear trend of diminishing returns there, but again it's not something I hold against the Cruiser. I can watch Knight & Day without wanting to gouge my eyes out. Somehow. I was frankly delighted when I realised it was him in the fat suit playing Len Grossman in Tropic Thunder. Even his cameo in Austin Powers 3 delights.

I probably fancy him and don't realise it. Shit, there's a thought.

I think Collateral stands out as the last great Cruise film and indeed a pretty much perfect casting. Since then I would say he has shown a good eye for interesting ideas and directors with some visual flare to the degree the films are worth seeing. That's gone hand in hand with some pretty terrible hollywoodisation though and Cruise himself falling back to playing standard heroes which I never think he's been great at. Oblivion and Edge of Tomorrow could I think have been great if they'd followed  though on there concepts a bit more.

Bazooka

I'm an out and proud Cruise fan too.

Ham Bap

I like Tom Cruise. He does really good films and the Mission impossible films have got better with each sequel. Saying that I preferred the 4th one over the 5th one only cos the 4th one was really good.

However, for some reason I cant imagine this film to be anything other than shite. Films like this usually are these days. Id hope it would be good but we'll see. (That sounds like a threat but it isnt). But we will see wont we. (Again, not a threat)

Mr Brightside

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on May 21, 2017, 10:08:13 PM
Why?

I really enjoy his films. I like Top Gun, The Color of Money, Rain Man, Interview with the Vampire, Eyes Wide Shut, Magnolia, Minority Report, Edge of Tomorrow. All good films. Wasn't too keen on the first three Mission Impossible films, but the last two have been superb. Great locations, memorable action sequences, and he does his own stunts, too. I also think he's a capable actor. Not the best ever, but not bad. He's great at promoting films, too, spending ages on red carpets etc. He seems an affable guy in any interviews I've seen.

I couldn't care less that he's a Scientologist. Is Scientology any weirder than Christianity or Islam? No. It's all bollocks. And as for comments in this thread about him being in the closet, well, again, I'm not bothered if he is. Who cares if he is or isn't gay? I like Tom Cruise. I'm not ashamed.

mothman

A third franchise - though I suspect this one may struggle to establish itself - is probably the sensible option for him at this point. He's 55. But still playing roles that could be someone in their 30s or 40s. Sooner or later that's going to get ridiculous. Knight & Day suggests it maybe already has; that kind of standalone star-driven action film is going to be too much of a stretch eventually if not sooner. He has been usually quite canny about his career (though there was a bump in the road around the WotW/Katie Holmes/Oprah sofa time, something to do with a change from his previous long-term management?) so one might expect he'll accept the inevitable rather than go into denial and try to carry on as he always has done. If he can squeeze in a few character-driven pieces in between the franchise blockbusters, more out-of his-box stuff like Collateral or Magnolia, then s'all good, man.