Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:02:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Passengers

Started by Mark Steels Stockbroker, December 18, 2016, 11:44:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Steels Stockbroker

Thinking of seeing this this week. Saw the trailer before Arrival and wondered if it was adapted from "I Hope I Shall Arrive Soon". Any word about it? Any warnings that it's really bad?

CaledonianGonzo

I've not seen it, but word on it is really,  really bad. The reviewers have torn it a new one.

Custard

Yeah, it's not looking good. Shame, as I like Pratt and Lawrence

It's supposed to be very derivative, and the love story is bland as all fuck

checkoutgirl

Trailer makes it look awful. Like some sort of gooey love story with a hint of early Red Dwarf. Generally I'd put Lawrence as having better instincts than this but I'm starting to change my mind about her. In the next decade her filmography is going to be a complete horror show if she carries on like this. She probably gets offered all the best roles possible too.

Bad Ambassador

hewantstolurkatad

Quote from: checkoutgirl on December 18, 2016, 01:20:51 PM
Trailer makes it look awful. Like some sort of gooey love story with a hint of early Red Dwarf. Generally I'd put Lawrence as having better instincts than this but I'm starting to change my mind about her. In the next decade her filmography is going to be a complete horror show if she carries on like this. She probably gets offered all the best roles possible too.
Dunno where you got that idea, she hasn't picked a good role since winter's bone. Her idea of one involves desperately sticking with playing adults in David O Russell films, or dirge like Serena.

Way back I remember her bragging about never watching black and white movies cos they're old and finding it a bit suspect. She's just a workaholic with shit taste.

Ever since I saw the first trailer for this one I've been a bit fascinated by the whole thing, who it's even for, why that shit director who made the imitation game got moved up to the big boys club.
Best theory I have is that it's a play by Lawrence and her people to become the first woman to top Hollywood's most paid list. She's getting crazy money regardless but if it's a hit she's getting astronomical money from what I can tell.

Puce Moment

Quote from: hewantstolurkatad on December 18, 2016, 03:23:14 PMDunno where you got that idea, she hasn't picked a good role since winter's bone.

I couldn't agree more.

up_the_hampipe

I'm surprised at the bad reviews for this. It seemed like it would get auto-praised because Pratt and Lawrence are such darlings at the moment (Lawrence not so much because she seems to say something weird and stupid in every interview). It doesn't seem remotely interesting anyway.

MojoJojo

Quote from: Shameless Custard on December 18, 2016, 12:56:42 PM
Yeah, it's not looking good. Shame, as I like Pratt and Lawrence

It's supposed to be very derivative, and the love story is bland as all fuck

Shame, I liked the trailer because I read Children of Time recently and the idea of ark ships is at the front of mind at the moment[nb]vague ideas of a game bouncing around[/nb]. Although the fact it was trailed on my last two cinema visits, which aren't very frequent, was a bit of a warning.

Quote from: Mark Steels Stockbroker on December 18, 2016, 11:44:20 AM
...wondered if it was adapted from "I Hope I Shall Arrive Soon".
Hmm, was going to thank you for the suggestion, but reading the synopsis on wiki not really about ark ships. And would be more likely to be adapted into total recall than what was in the trailer for Passengers (I've not read it, but apparently in IHISAS[nb]dammit, it would be funny if the initials were ISIHAC[/nb] the main character is paralysed throughout[/nb]. I'm not much of a fan of Dick.

hewantstolurkatad

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on December 18, 2016, 07:47:57 PM
I'm surprised at the bad reviews for this. It seemed like it would get auto-praised because Pratt and Lawrence are such darlings at the moment (Lawrence not so much because she seems to say something weird and stupid in every interview). It doesn't seem remotely interesting anyway.
Nah there's a lot in it that was ripe for a bit of a belting.

The Imitation Game was a huge stinking turd, shocking bad. It got by critically with the "meh, this'll kill 90 minutes, four stars" but actually made serious bank on general release. Tyldum (who has shown absolutely no visual flair whatsoever) being bumped up to monster budget blockbusters would've definitely left everyone a bit ready to attack.

The Lawrence backlash has been gaining traction for a while, doubt I need to expand on that.

Pratt has had a shitty two years too, after a pretty fucking savvy rise between Parks & Rec and numerous solid less focused roles in acclaimed films (Moneyball, Zero Dark Thirty, Her, the Lego Movie), he was able to very firmly establish himself as a star with that Guardians film.
buuuuuut, Jurassic World shat away an awful lot of that goodwill (albeit with some significant positives in terms of proving his bankability), the Magnificent Seven surely hasn't helped... he's lost a lot of the momentum he had. He's definitely not in any way toxic just yet but there is something profoundly annoying about the two of them looking so fucking serious on those posters everywhere. If he had sense he would've tried to have some easy awards fodder somewhere in the past two years.

Gwen Taylor on ITV

From the trailer my guess is that he wakes her up early because he fancies her and then he turns into a bad guy when she rejects his advances.

garbed_attic

Quote from: Gwen Taylor on ITV on December 18, 2016, 11:11:23 PM
From the trailer my guess is that he wakes her up early because he fancies her and then he turns into a bad guy when she rejects his advances.

https://twitter.com/i/moments/810475977075818496

Not only would that make for a more self-aware/ progressive/ what have you movie I reckon, but it'd also probably be a lot more thrilling and interesting!

Sam

Lawrence is breathtakingly vacuous in interviews, so I also don't trust her to pick roles intelligently.

Shit Good Nose

I've got a lot of time for her.  She doesn't take herself at all seriously (famous Oscars red carpet moment - "Jennifer, what are you wearing?"  "well, this is a dress and these are shoes"), and she CAN act. 

I, personally, don't really understand the backlash - so she picks a lot of strong young woman roles.  How dare she.  Oh, and there are some successful mainstream films she's in that are below the standards of us fat, balding phimosis sufferers.

SHE'S 26 FOR FUCK'S SAKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bad Ambassador

I think it's more the self-absorbed behaviour and conviction that she's always in the right, such as t tellingat a foreign reporter at a press conference for having to read a question from his phone or telling a hilarious story on Graham Norton recently about wiping her arse on some sacred rocks and ignoring how fucking entitled she sounds sounds.

up_the_hampipe

Don't forget about the time she said calling people fat should be illegal.

She seems alright generally but I can see why people get fed up with her.

phantom_power

I think she is a very funny interviewee and is one of those people that babble a lot so it isn't surprising she sometimes says something dubious. I imagine we have all said some cock-headed things when in full flow but we are lucky none of it gets saved for posterity

hewantstolurkatad

I don't mind her in interviews at all, don't really think it's sincere though, think she kind of plays being jennifer Lawrence in them to hide her actual awkwardness.
She seems like a deathly serious person underneath to me.

there's something between the comments she's said about film , her role choices and a general sense she's someone who isn't really going to stray from the path that she's on that leaves me with next to no doubt that, left to herself, she'll never pick an interesting film.

AsparagusTrevor

Whenever I see Chris Pratt doing his 'serious' acting, it just makes me think of Burt Macklin, FBI.

Gulftastic

I went off Pratt when I found about his religious leanings.

Phil_A

Quote from: Gulftastic on December 21, 2016, 04:54:07 PM
I went off Pratt when I found about his religious leanings.

I went off him a bit when I read how he's really, really into shooting animals. No, really. He fuckin' loves it.

"I have great respect for the animals I kill"

I mean that's basically a hair's breadth away from

Head Gardener

saw this at the weekend and thought
Spoiler alert
it was OK and requires no thought or effort whatsoever
[close]

Custard

Just got round to seeing this.

It was very pretty to look at, and its a likeable small cast, but it blows it in the OTT third act.
Spoiler alert
You can just tell that the studio demanded that neat happy ending, and it feels unearned and cringeworthy. "I effectively robbed you of your life, but I sorted out the ship didn't I, so kissy kiss!"

Completely miscast having Pratt in the role, too. He's too nice and likeable. And I wish it'd turned into a full on thriller or revenge tale once Lawrence's character finds out. Could've been fresh and brilliant, and unexpected

A nice bit of unintentional comedy with Andy Garcia having his part hacked down to a wordless cameo at the end, too
[close]

It's a bit of entertaining and pretty popcorn fluff, but it felt like it could've been a bit more than that, so it's quite disappointing

MuteBanana

I did enjoy this as I love anything involving solitude and being lost. Thought Michael Sheen was good but with the ship failing it would have been nice for his character to go dark. Also I agree about it turning into a darker thriller.

Chris Pratt would have earnt some respect if he had to turn psycho and start stalking JLaws character. The last part of the film was sweet but who the fuck cares?

Bronzy

Quote from: Phil_A on December 21, 2016, 05:05:54 PM
I went off him a bit when I read how he's really, really into shooting animals. No, really. He fuckin' loves it.

Fuck sake, what a Prat(t).

Doesn't he just play with himself in every single role he does anyway? The sort of cheeky, jack-the-lad with a bit of sexy thrown in?

asids

Quote from: Phil_A on December 21, 2016, 05:05:54 PM

Edit: Joke been done. I missed the deadline.