Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 11:14:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Tennis 2017

Started by Deanjam, December 20, 2016, 02:12:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deanjam

Very happy with both of those.

selectivememory

Djokovic is 5-3 down in the final set against Istomin. Only just tuned in a couple of minutes ago, but it sounds like it's been another error-strewn performance from Novak.

selectivememory

selectivememory

That half of the draw is wide open now. Raonic, Dimitrov and Nadal probably the strongest candidates to make the final on current form.

Deanjam

Djokovic out! Excellent news. Murray has his best chance of finally winning here, but it's pretty wide open now.

selectivememory

Quote from: Deanjam on January 19, 2017, 08:20:26 AM
Djokovic out! Excellent news. Murray has his best chance of finally winning here, but it's pretty wide open now.

Yep. I hope he does. There's a lot of players I want to see do well at other slams this year, but it would seem kind of harsh if Murray never won in Melbourne.

Looks like his ranking is safe until at least Wimbledon now, especially if he can go all the way in this tournament.

Deanjam

Quote from: selectivememory on January 19, 2017, 08:20:12 AM
That half of the draw is wide open now. Raonic, Dimitrov and Nadal probably the strongest candidates to make the final on current form.

Would like to see Zverev make a run here. Or Goffin.

But Raonic is most likely.

BlodwynPig

A clean sweep for the French in singles and doubles yesterday*

*apart from the French vs. French (poor Oceane Dodin). Cornet 5-3 down in the first to some Greek outsider thought, c'est typique.

biggytitbo

Well if he doesnt win it now he probably never will.[nb]cue Murray getting knocked out in the 3rd round by  qualifier[/nb]

BlodwynPig

I reckon Konta will win it on home turf

selectivememory

Quote from: BlodwynPig on January 19, 2017, 08:51:41 AM
I reckon Konta will win it on home turf

I'd quite like Pliskova to do it and she's been convincing so far. Konta has a shot, but has a really tough draw. Wozniacki next, then probably Cibulkova and Serena, all before the semis.

I guess another one in Novak's half of the draw to look out for is Thiem, but he's been so inconsistent since the French Open that it's hard to get too excited at the moment. Could definitely see a Dimitrov-Raonic semifinal on that side.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: BlodwynPig on January 19, 2017, 08:27:16 AM
A clean sweep for the French in singles and doubles yesterday*

*apart from the French vs. French (poor Oceane Dodin). Cornet 5-3 down in the first to some Greek outsider thought, c'est typique.

Boom....a bad day for the French so far.

selectivememory

More impressive stuff from Evans, who's now into his first ever fourth round of a major after beating Tomic. Plays Tsonga next.

Hope Fed can beat Berdych later on. In danger of dropping out of the top 30 if he loses.

selectivememory

Quote from: selectivememory on January 20, 2017, 10:06:42 AM
Hope Fed can beat Berdych later on.

Looks like straight sets. Always a pleasure seeing Berdych lose.

Fed against Kei should be a good one in the next round. Winner probably plays Murray in the quarters.

Deanjam

Surprisingly good performance from Fed who looked a bit stiff in his first two matches. Was maybe holding back. Pretty sure he's the one guy Murray doesn't want to face as he seems to play his best against him.

Quote from: selectivememory on January 20, 2017, 10:06:42 AM
More impressive stuff from Evans, who's now into his first ever fourth round of a major after beating Tomic. Plays Tsonga next.

Great job.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Murray is an absolute arsepiece sometimes. Nearly every time his toughest opponent goes out early he finds it necessary to do likewise.

Zverev is going to be a multi slam winner isn't he?

selectivememory

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on January 22, 2017, 07:45:06 AM
Zverev is going to be a multi slam winner isn't he?

The guy who just beat Murray is 29, and the older brother of the really hyped Zverev (who lost in five to Nadal yesterday). It's a weird defeat as this guy has done nothing in his career until the last few months.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Woops.

Who's Good Zverev playing?

selectivememory

Good Zverev is out already to Nadal, but came close. If he were a bit stronger physically he probably would have won that one. In a year or two he's going to be amazing.

Apparently the courts have been a lot quicker this year, and Mishca Zverev supposedly (I actually don't think I've seen the guy play before) has been playing a pretty devastating serve-and-volley style tennis recently, so perhaps it's not the worst loss ever. Looks like we could get a new winner, although Stan now looks in a strong position to add to his tally.

Tsgona's just beaten Evans. Federer a break down to Kei in the first set. It's wide open.

Deanjam

Raonic the highest ranked played left in the tournament ...

BlodwynPig

Dare I dream of a Tsonga victory?

probably not.

Deanjam

Quote from: BlodwynPig on January 22, 2017, 10:40:43 AM
Dare I dream of a Tsonga victory?

He'll never have a better chance.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Deanjam on January 22, 2017, 10:53:20 AM
He'll never have a better chance.

Id be happy with him or Monfils making the final.

Deanjam

Quote from: BlodwynPig on January 22, 2017, 10:55:57 AM
Id be happy with him or Monfils making the final.

Keep forgetting about Gael. He's playing really well.

Deanjam

rjd2

Not one player left bar possibly Stan is Raonic not favorite against.

That was one of Murray'w worse losses ever in a Slam, Zverev played well, but Murray was utter shite. Maybe destined to never win this Slam.

selectivememory

Yeah, I think Murray has at best two more chances to win the Aussie, and he'll never have a draw as open as this one again. Oh, well. The French is still a realistic prospect for him I think. Less vulnerable there to these attacking players at least.

Quote from: rjd2 on January 22, 2017, 03:26:49 PM
Not one player left bar possibly Stan is Raonic not favorite against.

Stan probably deserves to be the favourite given his recent slam wins, and if you stick him in a final against anyone on the other side of the draw I'd have him as a strong favourite to win. But whether he makes the final is the question. I think if Fed can keep the form of the last couple of matches up he's got a real shot at winning #18, and I'd be delighted for him, but it's honestly impossible to tell how he's going to hold up in the next couple of rounds at his age and after all that time out. But definitely to me he seems to be playing at the highest level out of all the remaining players. It's easy to forget that when he first picked up his injury a year ago he was essentially second to only Djokovic - he was ranked below Murray but was beating him easily when they played, and if it wasn't for Djokovic he'd almost certainly have won over 20 majors by now.

On Raonic's side I have him as marginal favourite to make the final. Should definitely beat Agut and on these quicker courts I think he'll beat Rafa as well. Weirdly it's Dimitrov I see as the biggest danger to him. He beat Milos in Brisbane the other week and seems to be playing back at the level he was when he last reached the top ten, whereas six months ago he was playing the worst stuff of his career. Could be a cracker of a semifinal if it is those two.

Muguruza against either Konta or Pliskova in the women's final would be nice. Just be happy if Serena doesn't win it to be honest. Not surprised Kerber lost, as she has been looking pretty vulnerable since the start of the year.

selectivememory

Quote from: selectivememory on January 22, 2017, 08:56:54 PM
Stan probably deserves to be the favourite given his recent slam wins, and if you stick him in a final against anyone on that side of the draw I'd have him as a strong favourite to win. But whether he makes the final is the question. I think if Fed can keep the form of the last couple of matches up he's got a real shot at winning #18, and I'd be delighted for him, but it's honestly impossible to tell how he's going to hold up in the next couple of rounds at his age and after all that time out. But definitely to me he seems to be playing at the highest level out of all the remaining players. It's easy to forget that when he first picked up his injury a year ago he was essentially second to only Djokovic - he was ranked below Murray but was beating him easily when they played, and if it wasn't for Djokovic he'd almost certainly have won over 20 majors by now.

On Raonic's side I have him as marginal favourite to make the final. Should definitely beat Agut and on these quicker courts I think he'll beat Rafa as well. Weirdly it's Dimitrov I see as the biggest danger to him. He beat Milos in Brisbane the other week and seems to be playing back at the level he was when he last reached the top ten, whereas six months ago he was playing the worst stuff of his career. Could be a cracker of a semifinal if it is those two.

All that said, a Monfils-Tsonga final would be the best thing ever. Would especially love to see Jo win a major. One of the most talented players not to win one.

Deanjam

Quote from: selectivememory on January 22, 2017, 09:00:14 PM
All that said, a Monfils-Tsonga final would be the best thing ever. Would especially love to see Jo win a major. One of the most talented players not to win one.

What a delightful choke-fest that would be.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

The lad Tsonga is an uncontrollable force, when it's with him, unplayable, but unlike Stan he hasn't figured out how to string three sets worth of that together against a top player. Also, I don't think Tsonga has really hit the heights the last few years. Injuries and poor coaching choices.