Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 11:31:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Tennis 2017

Started by Deanjam, December 20, 2016, 02:12:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deanjam

Fed v Stan is the first men's semi. Happy with that. Difficult to call. Both are playing pretty well. Stan can go missing against Fed and has never beaten him off clay.

Venus v Coco is the first women's semi. Think Coco might overpower Venus here.

selectivememory

I'll be happy if any of the three players other than Rafa on the other side of the draw win the title, but I've got to admit that I really want Fed to win this one now. I'd really love to see him beat his old rival in the final as well, just to top it off.

Hope Venus can win her semi, but Coco has come through a tough draw with very impressive results.

Really hoping for a Konta-Pliskova semi on the the other side. Haven't seen any of Serena's matches this year so I don't know how likely a Konta win in that tie is, but she has been great so far this year so hopefully she has a shot.

Deanjam

Konta's been more impressive than Serena so far, but you feel Williams always has another level to go to.

In other news Andy Murray has not been named in GB team for Davis Cup. It's Evans, Edmund, Inglot & Jamie Murray. Pretty much no chance of winning unless Raonic also pulls out. Murray can still be put in if he changes his mind.

buntyman

Raonic totally bottled that 2nd set tie break. Double fault on set point followed by some dreadful unforced errors.

selectivememory

Yeah, that was dreadful. Six set points in total squandered if you include the ones he had on one of Rafa's previous service games.

Good to see Dimitrov taking advantage of the draw and Djokovic's early defeat - this is exactly the kind of opportunity he'd have blown in the last 18 months or so. Finally seems to have turned it around; I hope he can keep this kind of form up in the next few months.

BlodwynPig

Bah, double trouble. End of my interest

Deanjam

It's gonna be Fedal & Williams finals ain't it.

So much for the new guard.

Deanjam

Unless the 2008 US Open junior champions do something about it.

selectivememory

Quote from: Deanjam on January 25, 2017, 04:19:36 PM
Unless the 2008 US Open junior champions do something about it.

I'd love Grigor to make the final, and I'd love for Coco not to make the final.

The three players I really wanted to do well all lost their quarters in the women's, so other than Lucic-Baroni there's not a lot of interest left for me. Venus winning it would be nice, but I can't see anyone left in the draw stopping Serena now.

With the men's on the other hand, I think it's quite difficult to pick a winner out of Roger, Stan and Rafa, and while Dimitrov is certainly the underdog I think he's still got a pretty decent chance here as well. Was hoping for some more fresh blood in the semis, but if Dimitrov does beat Rafa that'll be pretty satisfying.

selectivememory

Good fightback from Stan here, after looking outclassed in the first two sets.

biggytitbo

Weird to think a Federer vs Nadal final would have netted astronomical odds at the start of the tournament. Amazing to think they've not met in a slam final for 6 years

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: biggytitbo on January 26, 2017, 11:19:56 AM
Weird to think a Federer vs Nadal final would have netted astronomical odds at the start of the tournament. Amazing to think they've not met in a slam final for 6 years

Likewise the Williams sisters.

The last decade never happened. Actually in so many ways I wish it hadn't.

Deanjam

Federer v Nadal & Serena v Venus it is.

Deanjam

At least Grigor put up a fight. More than can be said for Raonic, Monfils, Goffin, Thiem, Tsonga et al. Golden generation? More like useless generation. Only 5 players with any bottle on tour.

The women are just as bad.

Meh.

Allez Federer!

biggytitbo

Wonderful to see Nadal win it, I don't think anyone saw him adding to his tally after the last year or so he's had.

hewantstolurkatad

If Federer can't win this one he's absolutely done, surely? Had an easier semi final and a day extra to rest.
Although I also said that injury last year was the end of him too.

Deanjam

Done? He's in the final after six months out. I don't expect him to beat Nadal as it's the worst match up he can have. But he's definitely not done. If he can make the final here he can absolutely do it at Wimbledon or US open.

hewantstolurkatad

The odds of him getting an easier opponent in a final are surely pretty low though, I assume he's odds on favourite?
and there's an upside to a 36 year old having six months off that can't be sustained into the second half of the year.

Deanjam

It's Nadal. Murray would be an easier opponent for Fed. It's the worst possible matchup.

biggytitbo

I think things have fallen for him quite nicely and the quality Stan aside just isn't there once Murray/Djokovic are gone, but I still don't think you can underestimate how good it is to get to the final at 35 after been out injured for 6 months. You can never say never with him but these chances are obviously going to be few and far between from now on.

Hard to know with Nadal though, this resurgence is unexpected but its hard to believe he's found some magic solution to his physical problems that will let him play as long as Federer has. Like Fed he's kind of drifted under the radar a bit and thing have fallen nicely for him.

Deanjam

Deanjam

What a match. Jesus. Topsy-turvy.

pigamus

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Hard to believe.

What an astonishing man. To do it against Nadal as well. He may not be what he was but the mental battle out there was just as sharp as ever.

Deanjam

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on January 29, 2017, 12:29:49 PM
but the mental battle out there was just as sharp as ever.

That was the most surprising bit. He's been mentally fragile against Rafa over the years and today he had to gut that out.

Deanjam

Ooh. Federer: "I hope to see you next year, but if not ... " Wouldn't be shocked to see him retire this year.

selectivememory

Fuck me, the old man did it. His last few years really deserve this.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Although he had his 'wilderness' years 2013-2016 Federer still managed to make 3 Grand Slam finals in that time, and 2 ATP year end finals. It's only 2013 where he seemed to really go off the boil, other than that he was still a serious threat, albeit not a patch on Djokovic's best.

As long as he manages the events he's at, and someone defeats Djokovic for him, it isn't beyond imagination he might win Wimbledon again.

I'm not sure about Nadal though. Lots of people said he was back to form, but he never used to let Federer control rallies like he was doing today. And if Federer is the baseline to compare yourself against, that's not necessarily indicative of winning multiple slams in the future. It's like watching a sunbaked balding imitation of what he used to be.

selectivememory

Just caught the highlights. What an amazing final set that was. Such an impressive performance from Roger, especially when you consider the history of that match up. Definitely one of the greatest achievements ever in the sport, after five years without one, at his age, and after six months out.

Can see him sticking around for one more crack at Wimbledon, but yeah, if he does retire this year it wouldn't be a surprise, especially after that comment in his speech. 

Deanjam

Davis cup tonight at 8:00pm. Canadia v GB. Thrill! as the best players in the world couldn't be arsed to show up. GB should just about win.