Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 12:21:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Lets talk about huge fucking TV's.

Started by mobias, December 27, 2016, 03:33:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wasp_f15ting

Quote from: Mr_Simnock on December 29, 2016, 08:58:12 PM
the current oleds from lg do 3D better than any other TV's by some margin if you believe all the owner threads on a certain popular TV forum, it's a shame they only got 3D right for tv's now, now all the big companies are axing it from all future models :(

I had a look at some of the Samsung models early on with the tech. They were the ones with active shutters and I hated them. I am shocked at how good the OLED version is!

I have ordered Jungle Book which I hear isn't too bad..

Have you tried any really good 4K BDs you can suggest? I have deadpool and Martian to watch this weekend.

Mr_Simnock

Jungle Book is incredible on my 55 B6, I got it earlier this year and every time I watch it I'm glad I got the TV. Almost all blu rays look amazing but sometimes it can be a bit harsh as it shows the problems of crap transfers of films more than other tv technology. Close Encounters looks good apart from some posterization issues with some of the small alien ships at the end of the film. Captain America Civil War is just stunning as is all of the other Marvel films on it, the same goes for Dawn of Justice too which I picked up from tesco on an offer a few months ago. Never watched a 4k BD but the upscaling is brilliant and most 4k TV I have seen doesn't appear to be the same step up as sd to hd was to me. How did you find the Martian as I have read in other forums it is outstanding?

mobias

Reviving this thread because finally it looks like I'm going to actually get a huge fucking TV. I've been doing some research over the past few days. Looks like Samsung are the best buy out there at the moment in the under a grand 55" range. They have a lag of less than 30ms in their gaming mode which is superior to all the other makes. Problem is all their TV's in this range seem to be curved. What are CAB's thoughts on curved TV's? I've never been much of a fan but I'm open to being persuaded. I won't be hanging it on a wall and I live alone so angle of view for others isn't an issue.

This is the one I'm looking at https://www.richersounds.com/product/tv---all/samsung/ue55ks7500/sams-ue55ks7500

Great looking picture, 4K and decent HDR for the price, plus of course the high response rate. I'm aiming to get a PS4 Pro for it too.

I was also looking at this Sony TV https://www.richersounds.com/product/tv---all/sony/bravia-kd55xd8005/sony-kd55xd8005bu but all the articles I've read from dedicated gaming sites seem to point towards Samsung giving you the best bang for your buck, as far as gaming goes anyway. My budget is a grand.

Shay Chaise

Is the KS8000 or KS9000 not meant to be the best 4K gaming telly, all in all? That's a flat screen. Might have been superceded, I don't know.

mobias

Yeah but it's got to fit my criteria of being 55 inches and no more than a grand.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: mobias on April 29, 2017, 08:52:40 AM
What are CAB's thoughts on curved TV's?

Avoid if possible.

They're supposed to have a wider viewing angle, but in all the pro set-up demos I've seen they've had a very very very specific viewing angle.  Veer outside that sweetspot and you notice the curve and some images on screen start to lose their definition and perspective.  Also tricky if more than one person sat in different places is also watching. 

To be honest, I don't really know what the benefits of a curved set are supposed to be.  Or, rather, I know what they're supposed to be, but in practical terms they really don't live up to them.  If imitating a cinema screen (which is slightly curved) is the goal, then it fails because the curve on a cinema screen is a lot less and, of course, even small cinema screens are a hell of a lot bigger than even the biggest TV sets.  After that, I'm at a loss.

Shay Chaise

Fair enough, I didn't realise it was quite so expensive. There's a second hand refurbished one on Amazon for 1099, if that's of any use.

mobias

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on April 29, 2017, 10:30:11 AM
Avoid if possible.

They're supposed to have a wider viewing angle, but in all the pro set-up demos I've seen they've had a very very very specific viewing angle.  Veer outside that sweetspot and you notice the curve and some images on screen start to lose their definition and perspective.  Also tricky if more than one person sat in different places is also watching. 

To be honest, I don't really know what the benefits of a curved set are supposed to be.  Or, rather, I know what they're supposed to be, but in practical terms they really don't live up to them.  If imitating a cinema screen (which is slightly curved) is the goal, then it fails because the curve on a cinema screen is a lot less and, of course, even small cinema screens are a hell of a lot bigger than even the biggest TV sets.  After that, I'm at a loss.

From what I've read, and as you say, they're supposed to recreate the 'immersive' experience of being in the cinema. For that reason though they only work if the TV is seriously huge. 55 inches is the absolute minimum you should consider if getting a curved TV from what I can gather. Viewing angle isn't an issue because since I started playing Farming Simulator 17 my girlfriend dumped me and my gaming pals hardly ever come round any more, or indeed ever actually, so really the TV is just for me.

Fitting my three criteria - the TV has to be 55 inches in size, with decent HDR, acceptable lag for gaming and £1000 or less - those Samsung TV's seem to be the best bet. LG have the worst lag for gaming apparently so I'm staying clear of those. I will look at Sony and Panasonic a bit more. I'm a bit weary of Panasonic though as there's reports of them being in real financial trouble at the moment. Then again people said the same thing about Sony a few years back.

Quote from: Shay Chaise on April 29, 2017, 10:41:35 AM
Fair enough, I didn't realise it was quite so expensive. There's a second hand refurbished one on Amazon for 1099, if that's of any use.

Even £1099 is stretching things a bit. I'll need to factor in a decently sized TV table into my budget too. I might look at what refurbished TV's are on offer. I would just need to feel confident about where I'm buying from though.

St_Eddie

"Let's talk about huge fucking TV's" is perhaps the single most blatant euphemism that I've ever encountered in life.  If you want to talk about ginormous seeping cocks and their vast measurements in inches, then just talk about them.

Honestly...

MojoJojo

My main TV is a 32 inch Bravia bought in 2008[nb]model number KDL32S3000, model number fans[/nb]. It's absolutely fine, especially as I'm now in a phase of my life that plant pots and things will have to be moved if we get another one, and there's a strong argument that we shouldn't get a bigger one without redecorating the room.

Still, 9 years old and size that doesn't even get reviewed anymore, so I have started looking. I have a friend who works on the Sky box's though, and according to him this HDR thing is good, but the standards are a complete VHS/Betamax mess and it would be better to wait.

So now I'm looking at projectors.

wasp_f15ting

I've noticed some processing issues on OLEDs

When there is motion, there is a slight pixelation which occurs during transitions from dark to bright areas in films. Its especially noticeable in anime.

Still enjoying the TV a lot though. Shame there isn't many 4K Blu-rays. Was hoping Rogue one would make its way onto it.

EFB

I had a curved Samsung, was awful. The curve seems immersive, but sit off centre and it's terrible.

olliebean

Quote from: mobias on April 29, 2017, 05:39:07 PM
From what I've read, and as you say, they're supposed to recreate the 'immersive' experience of being in the cinema.

That's just mad, isn't it? Surely the reason cinema screens are curved isn't because it makes them any more "immersive", but to equalise the distance from the projector so they don't go out of focus at the edges, which isn't an issue for a telly screen.

mobias

Quote from: MojoJojo on April 29, 2017, 08:16:23 PM

Still, 9 years old and size that doesn't even get reviewed anymore, so I have started looking. I have a friend who works on the Sky box's though, and according to him this HDR thing is good, but the standards are a complete VHS/Betamax mess and it would be better to wait.

Funnily enough I've just come back from a night out with a mate of mine who works in games development and he was saying HDR is actually a bigger thing that 4K but the industry is in the process of standardising things. In a year or so things will have settled down. I really can't wait that long though. I want a fucking huge TV NOW!.

Quote from: olliebean on April 30, 2017, 12:19:49 AM
That's just mad, isn't it? Surely the reason cinema screens are curved isn't because it makes them any more "immersive", but to equalise the distance from the projector so they don't go out of focus at the edges, which isn't an issue for a telly screen.

Thats definitely a big part of it but I suppose like with an IMAX cinema the idea is to try and envelope you in the image. I get the impression that with TV's its all just a gimmick to try and shift more TV's in a massively competitive world. Sony had 3D as the thing they pushed and Samsung have curved TV's.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: MojoJojo on April 29, 2017, 08:16:23 PM
So now I'm looking at projectors.

Don't bother - I've yet to see a domestic projector which can produce an image as good as a large decent 1080p panel, let alone a UHD OLED.  The only benefit projectors and their screens have over TVs is that you can pack them away (which might be perfect for you).  After that, projectors in a domestic setting leave you with a slightly dull and lifeless image which you will never ever be able to get into perfect focus.  Unless you have a professionally kitted out room with a proper projector screen and a projector to match (several to tens of thousands) and all professionally calibrated, then it really is a waste of money.

...unless you just want to put football on it when your mates come round.

Mr Brightside

Babestation looks a lot better on these newfangled big modern flat tellys. Can almost feel like they're in the room with you. I like to get right up close and look into their eyes when I splooge.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: mobias on April 29, 2017, 05:39:07 PM
I'm a bit weary of Panasonic though as there's reports of them being in real financial trouble at the moment. Then again people said the same thing about Sony a few years back.

Panasonic's TVs have been trumped by LG and Samsung in the last couple of years.  The real Panny sweetspot was about 2012/2013 - some absolutely breathtakingly good sets (although the smart TV element was, by far, the worst of the lot).  But, like Sony, they'll probably come good again.  After all, within the last decade LG were still considered as nothing more than the acceptable cheapo main brand to get and weren't really rocking any boats, and Sony went from being top of the pile to REALLY shit almost overnight. 

It's all cyclical.

But, it is still true that the only worthy brands these days are Panasonic, Sony, Samsung and LG.  Phillips and Sharp also make a couple of good sets, but I'm not sure if they're any competition for the best of the big 4.

mobias

So, after a weekend of reading as many reviews as possible on huge fucking TV's the conclusion I've come to is the Samsung KS7500 is the best sub £1000 4K HDR TV for gaming out there. With game mode enabled it has a lag of 21ms and crucially can still run full HDR.
It has the same high end screen tech as Samsung's higher end models like the KS8000 and 9000 series but at a more affordable price. http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/ue55ks7500-201605024289.htm

The two downsides are that its curved and it has feet rather than a stand meaning that I'm going to have to also invest in a decent TV table thats the same width as the TV.

I went out to PC World today to have a look at TV's. I won't be buying a TV from them but I just wanted to take a look. I'm pretty certain I can live a curved screen if the image quality for gaming is top notch for the price I'm paying. 

wasp_f15ting

Unless you have OCD about the white lines in foodtball you'll be fine.

Sorry I'm not a footy fan, so not sure of the official name of the white lines :p

falafel

If is has a standard VESA mount on the back you could just replace the feet with a stand.

MojoJojo

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on April 30, 2017, 04:45:43 PM
Don't bother - I've yet to see a domestic projector which can produce an image as good as a large decent 1080p panel, let alone a UHD OLED.  The only benefit projectors and their screens have over TVs is that you can pack them away (which might be perfect for you).  After that, projectors in a domestic setting leave you with a slightly dull and lifeless image which you will never ever be able to get into perfect focus.  Unless you have a professionally kitted out room with a proper projector screen and a projector to match (several to tens of thousands) and all professionally calibrated, then it really is a waste of money.

Obviously projectors aren't going to give as good a picture a panel - it's all about size. You can get a projector for 100 inches for less than £100 - a screen greater than 75 inches is £2k+. Obviously those cheap projectors are shit and probably not worth it, but then you can spend 5 figures on a big screen TV.

If I did get a projector it would be for movie nights/maybe gaming. It's just a completely different use case to a panel.

mobias

Quote from: falafel on May 02, 2017, 12:09:24 PM
If is has a standard VESA mount on the back you could just replace the feet with a stand.

Yeah that did dawn on me too. I'll see how goes putting it on a table.

Anyway I've got my TV reserved at Richer Sounds so hopefully getting it and a PS4 Pro at the weekend.

mobias

Well I finally bit the bullet this afternoon and parted with a grand for the 55" Samsung KS7500. Its a perfect size I think. A massive step up from my old 2007 40" Samsung but it doesn't consume my living room like an even bigger TV probably would. The curved screen really doesn't seem to be an issue. From further away I hardly notice that its curved and from close up is feels like sitting infront of my own private IMAX cinema.

Watching Netflix in 4K is pretty fucking incredible I must say. Almost unnervingly clear. When Blu-Ray came out it was obviously a lot clearer but going back to watching a standard DVD never seemed a problem. Going back to watching 1080p after watching something in 4K makes you think you need your eyesight tested. It does seem blurred in comparison.

Now the question is whether to go out and spunk 350 quid on a PS4 Pro. I could easily sell off my old PS4 with all the games on it for 150 quid or so, that would take the sting out of getting a Pro. I really want to play Horizon Zero Dawn in proper 4K HDR plus an increasing amount of games seem to be patched for the Pro now.   

Gurke and Hare

I've just got an 43" LG telly which is the fucking hugest I've ever had. It's great, except when I mute the telly the icon dances around the edge of the screen instead of sitting quietly in the corner. Does anyone know how I stop it doing that?

EFB

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on May 18, 2017, 08:32:06 PM
I've just got an 43" LG telly which is the fucking hugest I've ever had. It's great, except when I mute the telly the icon dances around the edge of the screen instead of sitting quietly in the corner. Does anyone know how I stop it doing that?

Samsung does it too, quite annoying. I turn the volume all the way down instead of muting.

Shit Good Nose

I don't know how to stop it, but apparently the reason they do it is because on the older models the mute icon would automatically disappear after a few seconds.  The problem with that is you then had cunts phoning up Samsung/LG/whomever to say that the sound has gone on the TV and then an engineer goes out to find everything is fine.  So then they had the icon stay on in subsequent models, but they were then getting cunts phoning up Samsung/LG/whomever to say that a ghost of the mute image is staying on screen (AKA image burn).  So now they have the icon stay on all the time to avoid cunts thinking the sound has gone, and they have the icon move around to avoid cunts leaving it on mute for hours so the image burns in.

I can't vouch for the above 100%, but I heard it from two independent-of-each-other industry peeps.

Gurke and Hare

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Ohh mannn ohhhhhh godddd huuugggeeee fuccckkiinnnn teeeeeee veeeeeeeesssss

Ohhhhh yeeeeeeaaaahhh

Shit Good Nose

Just a quick heads-up/warning to anyone looking to buy a new TV...

Basically don't bother now - wait a while.

All the manufacturers and broadcasters have recently collectively signed up to a new set of panel and broadcast standards which covers the UK market for the next 10 years.  Not all current, or even recently released, sets have all of these standards built in, and even many of the flagship models do not feature all of them.  This all kicked off a couple of years ago, but it's only within the last couple of months that they've all agreed what the standards should be.  I haven't seen a full list, but it's stuff like HDR, full 10-bit panels (some new sets, including one of the flagship Panasonics, are just uprated 8-bit panels), HDMI 2, HEVC and the like.

Sorry mobias - this post is a little bit late for you...

mobias

TV's are always going to be behind the curve. 4K is the new standard, even though that beyond gaming there isn't a huge amount of 4K content out there (there isn't even much in gaming). Just as 4K content catches up 8K will be the new thing to sell TV's. And so it goes on....

OLED TV's coming down in price is the thing to look out for at the moment I think. I'm glad I got my TV when I did though. I'm really enjoying it and the PS4 Pro, even though the latter was a bit of an indulgence.