Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:30:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Milo Yiannopoulos Book Deal Row

Started by Claude Balls, January 05, 2017, 05:53:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thenoise

Quote from: Barry Admin on January 07, 2017, 03:19:26 AM
People are way too Mary Whitehouse these days, it's actually shocking. Remember that? Remember when that old bat and her minions decided what was unsuitable for you to see? Remember how fucking annoying it was?

Remember how it lead to the 'video nasty' craze, giving undue attention to a whole load of films that weren't (for the most part) very good?  And how for a while any hack could cobble together some amateur rubbish with a gore scene and a lurid title and get on the 'nasty' bandwagon, safe in the knowledge that Whitehouse and co would give it free publicity?

Nowadays simple gore films just go unnoticed, as they should.  A graphic rape or two should get up the noses of todays Whitehouses though.  let alone committing one of the dreaded isms.

Dr Syntax Head

Quote from: thenoise on January 07, 2017, 08:28:43 PM
Remember how it lead to the 'video nasty' craze, giving undue attention to a whole load of films that weren't (for the most part) very good?  And how for a while any hack could cobble together some amateur rubbish with a gore scene and a lurid title and get on the 'nasty' bandwagon, safe in the knowledge that Whitehouse and co would give it free publicity?

Nowadays simple gore films just go unnoticed, as they should.  A graphic rape or two should get up the noses of todays Whitehouses though.  let alone committing one of the dreaded isms.

We're all desensitised now aren't we? Though I never want to see the This is england rape scene ever again.

thenoise

The Guardian article is such a joke, Milo couldn't have wished for better publicity.  Milo shouldn't be given a platform to air his views, meanwhile here are his greatest hits on twitter.

Nobody knows what he will say in his shitty little book anyway.  If these clowns objected to right wing literature of dubious factual merit being published, where were they over 10+ years of threshold editions publications?  Including Donald Trump's declaration of intent, that was surely his first step to presidency?  Oh yes lets nail that barn door shut, never mind that the horse is miles away.

Dr Syntax Head

We should probably stop talking about this little worm[nb]my bad, worms are noble creatues[/nb]

Dr Syntax Head

Quote from: thenoise on January 07, 2017, 08:36:21 PM
The Guardian article is such a joke, Milo couldn't have wished for better publicity.  Milo shouldn't be given a platform to air his views, meanwhile here are his greatest hits on twitter.

Nobody knows what he will say in his shitty little book anyway.  If these clowns objected to right wing literature of dubious factual merit being published, where were they over 10+ years of threshold editions publications?  Including Donald Trump's declaration of intent, that was surely his first step to presidency?  Oh yes lets nail that barn door shut, never mind that the horse is miles away.

I like the use of the word clowns to describe the idiots. Hunter S throwback. I'm bringing this back into everyday discourse

Quincey

I wonder how Milo would cope if the Chicago Review of Books had actually decided to review his book and offered counter arguments to his views.

QuoteA boycott of far-right controversialist Milo Yiannopoulos's publisher Simon & Schuster will have "a chilling effect" on authors and publishers and will not prevent the spread of "noxious ideas", according to free-speech campaigners.

Led by the National Coalition Against Censorship, eight groups have issued a statement criticising the backlash over his $250,000 (£203,000) book deal as the latest attempt to stifle books likely to cause offence.

The statement, signed by among others Index on Censorship, the Authors Guild and the National Council of Teachers of English, said: "The suppression of noxious ideas does not defeat them; only vigorous disagreement can counter toxic speech effectively".

It added: "Shutting down the conversation may temporarily silence disfavoured views, but does nothing to prevent them from spreading and resurfacing in other ways."

Apparently, the book is not dead

He will be setting up his own publishing label called 'Dangerous', which will be used to publish his book and to publish other authors with 'controversial' viewpoints (whom I imagine will be Roosh V and....?). I hadn't heard much about him recently. I'd just assumed that his reputation had flatlined and that was that.

Oh, and apparently he's suing Simon & Schuster, although he hasn't actually served them any papers yet according to them.

ajsmith

I think he's well on his way to niche fan base only times now. The alt right has completely dumped him as they no longer need to tolerate him as a mouthpiece/gateway drug, and the paedo scandal thing was surprisingly effective in making him toxic to the alt right and the msm media outlets he was heading for ensconsing himself in when the story broke. I thought he would probably come out the other side eventually but it looks like if not a death blow, it certainly caused heavy and lasting concussion.

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: Monsieur Verdoux on May 09, 2017, 12:34:23 PM
He will be setting up his own publishing label called 'Dangerous', which will be used to publish his book and to publish other authors with 'controversial' viewpoints (whom I imagine will be Roosh V and....?).

I hope the printers get cash up front.

Howj Begg

Look forward to the sob stories in glossy mags in about 3 years about how he didn't realise how mean people could be, he turned into an alcoholic etc. Bring it on.

Pedro_Bear

I've met this chap. Very charming.

I think he might by gay, though.

Wasn't he the one who outed whatshisname from Mench or whatever it was called, trawling for underaged girls online for his home sauna?

You used to like him, back then. Not the the other guy; I don't recall why you didn't like him.

Anyway, $12 million start up raised overnight is pretty impressive. Maybe he'll make a retro streetfighter-style videogame about the Berkley riots or something?

A bit like a gay version of the videogame in
Kung Fury, maybe?

Cuellar

What's that Pedro? You'll have to speak up mate, can't hear you.

Pedro_Bear

It was definitely him, wasn't it?

He used to edit some bullshit gossip vertical, and one of the contributors was hated by coo*bo for whatever reasons.

Anyway, this other chap left a rather embarrasing dick pic somewhere trying to chat up an underaged girl online.

You used to like Milo back then, I'm pretty sure.

Still not sure what he says that is worth rioting over these days? "Fat people should exercise more" fuck that, this place burns.

I guess there's not that much left to protest any more?

You're pretty remote from reality aren't you? Your interpretation of events is rather fanciful.

bushwick

"HIS ANIME POSTS LEAVE US 'LIBTARDS' FUMIN'
BUT HE'LL NEVER HAVE SEX WITH A CONSENSUAL ADULT HUMAN"

Cuellar

His posts still aren't getting through to me.

Hey Pedro, try posting lots more? Or maybe all in caps or something idk?

Pedro_Bear

Still got it. Never lost it tbqh famalam.

Well, has he ever said something that makes you want to riot?

Has anyone said anything at all that would make you want to go out and knock over a trash can, for example? For real?

A d-list blogger seems a very strangely specific target for a series of running street battles. He's not that gay, come on.

Sure, he used to work for BB, but nobody burns down a campus when Delingpole does his schtick.

Quote from: Pedro_Bear on May 09, 2017, 04:57:06 PM
Well, has he ever said something that makes you want to riot?

Nope, he's still a cunt though. Your criteria there is reflective of your own inverse hysteria.

And he's back on TV! Looking and sounding increasingly desperate. He shares an anecdote about how he once microwaved a cat, which I'm sure is just top bantz.

BritishHobo

If this new business venture is driven to the same kind of success with the same decorum as Milo's previous ventures, it should be fun. To be honest the only reason he ended up having to pivot round to edgy US pundit is because all his tech ventures over here died a death thanks to his total inability to pay his staff or work with other human beings without turning into a screaming arsehole.

BritishHobo

However I am growing more and more alienated by the 'anti' side every day. The kind of daft, sledgehammer mockery that I used to like on reddit appealled to me because it was a small subset of people reacting to another small subset of people in stupid niche subreddits and against the absurdity of GamerGate increasingly shows itself up as shallow and useless as it's used on the world stage.

saltysnacks

Quote from: Monsieur Verdoux on May 09, 2017, 04:58:02 PM
Nope, he's still a cunt though. Your criteria there is reflective of your own inverse hysteria.

And he's back on TV! Looking and sounding increasingly desperate. He shares an anecdote about how he once microwaved a cat, which I'm sure is just top bantz.

His hair seems to be thinning. I bet he's loving that.

chand

Quote from: Pedro_Bear on May 09, 2017, 04:22:45 PMWasn't he the one who outed whatshisname from Mench or whatever it was called, trawling for underaged girls online for his home sauna?

You used to like him, back then. Not the the other guy; I don't recall why you didn't like him.

No, we didn't like Milo Yiannopoulos just because self-promoting Blairite wanker and Mensch associate Luke Bozier turned out to be a nonce. Prior to his conversion into a fascist Ken doll, Milo was a self-aggrandising conservative tech journalist and failed businessman who famously failed to pay people that worked for him. He found his niche as a commentator by being one of a select few gay men who actively fought against gay rights. Admittedly he did this with a tad more flair than, say, Andrew Pierce, but ultimately he was just your regular Telegraph-blogging dickhead, a man who thought middle-class Christian men were the most persecuted minority on earth, and who seemed to think that writing puff pieces about start-ups and phones made him a cutting-edge innovator. He wasn't exactly a left-wing icon.

Repeater

ajsmith

Quote from: Howj Begg on May 09, 2017, 01:01:45 PM
Look forward to the sob stories in glossy mags in about 3 years about how he didn't realise how mean people could be, he turned into an alcoholic etc. Bring it on.

If he did a whole book of sob stories he could call it. 'MILO: My Lows.'

BritishHobo

Yer man has announced he will be suing Simon & Schuster, to which S&S have essentially laughed and gone 'jog on, pal'.

I think it's going to become increasingly clear that aside from the popularity that comes from holding the kinds of positions he does, Milo doesn't actually have any competence in sustaining any kind of brand or business. At heart he's still just a posh boy who turns naively nasty when he doesn't get what he wants; not because it's the smart decision to make professionally, but because he does like being told no. Just like when he tried to prank the Guardian for demanding money he owed them, or verbally harangued staff at the Kernel for refusing to work shitty overtime hours.

Blue Jam

Spoiler for Milo's vanity-published book: It's rubbish, apparently:

WAH WAH WAH WAH WAAAAARGH

Breitbart hailed this negative Buzzfeed review as a victory over SJWs, conveniently forgetting that it wasn't Buzzfeed who sacked him.

Blue Jam

It sounds like The Dying Swan for the easily impressed.

BritishHobo

People genuinely think this lawsuit is going to crush Simon & Schuster. Fuck me.

What I find most fascinating about this 'new media fuck the old guard's stuff is that it comes from people who don't seem to understand how or why traditional media works. They just think it's old so it'll somehow stop working.

It's like, a couple of months ago, with YouTube. There's been this big push that journalism and the mainstream media and the like are dead, YouTube is the future, they're the revolution. But... they're just posting their shit on someone else's platform. And when companies started pulling ads from their videos, people like H3H3 started freaking out, because that was their source of income. The people bigging up the death of traditional media were reliant on fuckin' ad-men.

Just like now, Milo fans seem to think a nearly-hundred year-long,old publishing company is going to sink because a posh boy rich enough to literally start a publisher purely to publish his book is salty that his carefully cultivated controversial image actually threatened to hold repercussions for his career.