Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,585,313
  • Total Topics: 106,766
  • Online Today: 1,077
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 04:08:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Corbyn 15.5 - the so-called pro-Corbyn echo-chamber

Started by pancreas, January 06, 2017, 04:53:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buelligan

NoSleep

Quote from: Zetetic on May 23, 2017, 08:09:34 PM
It's slightly interesting to note that close to perhaps 6-8 million people will be voting in the next week or so via postal votes.

Possibly many UK citizens working in the EU?

Dr Rock

If you have a postal vote from overseas, who are you voting for? I'm voting for my local MP, who are they voting for?

edit - I suppose for many it's whatever registered address they are at in the UK, although they aren't living there right now. But are there some who have the right to vote but no registered UK address, and therefore no local constituency?

Zetetic

"In December 2016 there were nearly 264,000 registered overseas voters." (Source.)

There might be a couple of 100,000 more now, at most?

And how many of them will be attached to urban (London) constituencies?

Zetetic

Quote from: Dr Rock on May 23, 2017, 08:17:56 PMI suppose for many it's whatever registered address they are at in the UK, although they aren't living there right now.

"British citizens who have moved abroad can apply to be registered as an overseas voter in the last constituency in which they were entered on an electoral register."

My emphasis.

QuoteBut are there some who have the right to vote but no registered UK address, and therefore no local constituency?

Sort of answer to a similar question:

"Anyone who has not previously been registered to vote anywhere in the UK is unable to apply to register as an overseas elector.

This rule does not apply if you were too young to register when you left the UK. If a voter left the UK before they were 18 they can be registered at their parents' or guardians' address provided that they left the UK no more than 15 years ago."

olliebean

I get the impression it's been clearer the last couple of times than it was previously that anyone can register for a postal vote, you don't need to have a good reason for not wanting to vote in person. (Previously it felt like the option was only open to people who were actually unable to vote in person.) So possibly a lot of people have just chosen to do it that way so they don't have to worry about it on the day.

Zetetic

Yes.

(I was just observing that means that many of them will be voting now, not later, and it is a sizeable proportion of the electorate. I've no idea of the demographics involved.)

pancreas

I spent ages talking some cunt off a ledge who wanted to vote Tory because of muslims, and I suspect that work's been undone instantly.

So I have precisely the concerns that Zetetic does.

Rich Uncle Skeleton

Quote from: Buelligan on May 23, 2017, 08:14:01 PM
I still haven't had my postal vote.

Me neither, still waiting for it in Australia and starting to worry a bit!

Twed

Same. The only thing that has arrived is my polling card (yesterday) with a notice on it telling me I had to get my postal vote sorted out by 21st May. Via snail mail. I already did that.

Rich Uncle Skeleton

Called the council and the guy said there are a lot of postal vote applications to get through and by the sound of it the snap election caught them off guard a bit. To be fair he was really nice about it, but I have a feeling he only said "you should get it in the next 3 days" for the sake of avoiding an argument. 3 days based on what? I applied for this the week the election was called and now I have 10 business days to both receive and return this fucking thing and christ knows how long it'll take to get back to them.

Getting irrationally angry about this, but the thought of this useless Tory being our MP for another 5 fucking years is driving me mad.

monkfromhavana

I got an e-mail today saying that my request to get a postal vote had been accepted.....I await it coming in the mail, 18 days after the election.

I did get the Labour package though, a couple of raffle books, a sign for my window (being displayed) and some other stuff that I can't remember due to ale.

pancreas

Quote from: monkfromhavana on May 26, 2017, 09:50:53 PM
I did get the Labour package though, a couple of raffle books, a sign for my window (being displayed) and some other stuff that I can't remember due to ale.

Ditto. The meanest, most uninspiring a4 poster plus some fucking raffle tickets!!?!?1!'vvq

I'm blaming McNicol. Cunt.

Dr Rock

I got the raffle tickets too. What the fucking fuck?

pancreas

I mean---is this a general election or a fucking harvest festival??💩💩💩👿👿😲😯😮🤐🤢😲😵

Replies From View

Quote from: monkfromhavana on May 26, 2017, 09:50:53 PM
some other stuff that I can't remember due to ale.

Address stickers, bizarrely.  Your name and address with a Labour logo on them.  Not sure what you're meant to do with them - any mail you send to spread the word will be delivered straight back to you.

Replies From View

Quote from: pancreas on May 26, 2017, 10:59:23 PM
I mean---is this a general election or a fucking harvest festival??💩💩💩👿👿😲😯😮🤐🤢😲😵

When I was about seven I donated a screwdriver to the Harvest festival.  I nicked it from my Dad's tool cupboard and put it on the pile of tinned sweetcorn.  What's the difference - it was made of metal, just like the tins were.

monkfromhavana

Quote from: Replies From View on May 26, 2017, 11:44:42 PM
Address stickers, bizarrely.  Your name and address with a Labour logo on them.  Not sure what you're meant to do with them - any mail you send to spread the word will be delivered straight back to you.

Yes, my ale-addled brain thought "stickers I can stick to things to show my support", but this morning that very thought of yours occurred to me too. What am I going to do with them?

There's not even any point sticking them to things.

Funcrusher

Don't know if thus has been mentioned anywhere, but literally every YouTube video with ads I've clicked on today has a Tory ad about Corbyn supporting terrorism - they clearly have a lot of money to spend.

colacentral

And they have the nerve to accuse him of capitalising on Manchester.

greencalx

Quote from: Funcrusher on May 27, 2017, 12:52:40 PM
Don't know if thus has been mentioned anywhere, but literally every YouTube video with ads I've clicked on today has a Tory ad about Corbyn supporting terrorism - they clearly have a lot of money to spend.

Ah. That's how they're doing it. Thought they'd fallen off the radar.

Dr Rock

This will surely motivate all those pensioners who are always on YouTube.

NoSleep

Imagine paying to be the annoying thing that needs to be skipped or blocked.

monkfromhavana

Obviously no-one's told the Peter Mannion-esque figure at Tory HQ about Ad Blocker.

Mr_Simnock

Just a note about the polls closing significantly now on the tories, all the polling folk have apparently adjusted their data collecting methods so these are allegedly more accurate. If they are quite a lot out this time I don't know what future they have tbh. If it closes in any more this week at the same rate then I really don't think there will be a tory majority at all and we could see another coalition.

Johnny Yesno

Andrew Neil Interviews Jeremy Corbyn [1/2]: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZiHl-HBnuk

Andrew Neil Interviews Jeremy Corbyn [2/2]: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_MvJm-dAd8

Not bad. Not bad at all.

HappyTree

I have literally never seen a Youtube ad. I didn't even know they existed! I don't remember even doing anything especially to get rid of them, I just use the normal blockers. Same for Facebook, just never seen 'em.

When Corbyn wins it'll be hilarious. 2 years of direct assault from his own party. 2 years of media propaganda. Millions spent by Tories. All pissing in the winds of change.

greencalx

I fear that we're not representative of the majority of youtubers or social media users. Lots of people will be accessing YouTube through their smart TVs on which I believe installation of ad blockers is hard if not impossible.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Mr_Simnock on May 27, 2017, 03:18:08 PM
Just a note about the polls closing significantly now on the tories, all the polling folk have apparently adjusted their data collecting methods so these are allegedly more accurate. If they are quite a lot out this time I don't know what future they have tbh. If it closes in any more this week at the same rate then I really don't think there will be a tory majority at all and we could see another coalition.

'One senior industry figure' thinks the polls have been bollocks:

Quote"Privately, [pollsters] are terrified and befuddled," said one senior industry figure. "What the polls are telling us is that seven, eight, nine million people flipped in the last 10 days or so. The real evidence is that campaigns make very little difference when you look at the settled picture before them and the result. It would be unprecedented for there to be this level of churn in a campaign.

"My personal view is I don't think the Tories were ever 25 points ahead and I don't think they are only 5% ahead now. I think changes to methodology made since 2015 have exacerbated the volatility."

Are they starting to get their excuses in early?