Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,184
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 719
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 05:27:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Rugby League 2017

Started by doppelkorn, January 11, 2017, 03:00:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gulftastic

Both Easter games for Leeds followed a weirdly similar path. We ran up 30 points in the first half, started the second like we'd gone to sleep, only to put the games to bed in the last ten minutes.

Widnes were abject in the first half. I think they need to start playing towards the Middle 8's now. I can't see them breaking the top 8.

dr beat

Hate to say this but I'm getting rather concerned about going into the Middle 8s with Betts still in charge.  I'm not sure how we'd do if we had to travel to Toulouse in July or August, as could feasibly happen.

Betts recruited poorly in the close season in my view.  I don't think losing Brown was that serious, he hasn't set the world alight at Warrington so far.  At best he might have been the difference in 1 or 2 games this season if he's stayed at Widnes, but no more I think.  What we badly need is some more quality in the pack, particularly at hooker and back row.

doppelkorn

On the other hand, I can't think of who'd come in to miraculously make things better in the middle 8s.

Meanwhile, Bennie Westwood imagines a future beyond rugby league.

Gulftastic

Leeds City Council finally pull their fingers out and approve ground redevelopment plans at Headingley:

http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/our-city/north-leeds/headingley/leeds-council-rushes-through-35m-headingley-stadium-redevelopment-deal-work-could-start-within-weeks-1-8501366

About fucking time. Although, if I have to watch any home games at Elland Road or Valley Parade or (god forbid) Odsal, I shall be looking for some kind of discount on next year's season ticket.

doppelkorn

I used to live in Headingley (in the student flats behind the arndale). I never quite got a handle on what people in Leeds thought of the union side, which was still quite new then (2004).

Is Elland Road an Asda yet?

dr beat

Gulftastic

Sounds like I missed a thriller on Sky.

Leeds were coasting 44-4 at the break. Took off a couple of playes and became a disorganised mess. Spirited Donny took full advantage ane won the second half.

Gulftastic

Fifita fufucked that right up. Dozy prat, rushing the play the ball.

Gulftastic

Huddersfield 24 Swinton 28. Well done, Swinton. Tough times for the Fartowners.

doppelkorn

The longer this Cas purple patch goes on, the better my cool ONE POUND bet on Wigan is looking.

Mr Eggs

The Mend-A-Hose Jungle  is a stadium name that just fucks you up in the mind before you even start.

doppelkorn

I can't believe I've never noticed that Dr. Markwank has commissioned the club mascot in his own image. It's chilling.

Mr Eggs

That is 110% Rugby League.

doppelkorn

Anyone paying for this stream? I have no faith at all that the site wont crash.

mikeyg27

Quote from: doppelkorn on May 05, 2017, 08:03:49 PM
Anyone paying for this stream? I have no faith at all that the site wont crash.

It would be fucking hilarious if they had to refund everyone for the thing not working considering the whole point of this stream is supposedly 'exploring new revenue streams'.

Anyway, I'm playing football in half an hour so I haven't bothered. Will appreciate any reviews, though (of the game AND the stream).

doppelkorn

Well I forgot to get the early bird offer last night, then found myself out this morning. Sorry for depriving the sport of a fiver.

Deanjam

Gulftastic

Dynamite last quarter secures the points for Leeds. Till then we scarcely deserved it. A fine days drinking. Wish I could have afforded to go over.

dr beat

QuoteI can't believe I've never noticed that Dr. Markwank has commissioned the club mascot in his own image. It's chilling.

Is it me or does the good Dr K look rather like 'Sir' Ben Kingsley, particularly circa Sexy Beast?

Gulftastic

Saints are as awful as Castleford are great. A deadly combination.

doppelkorn

That was a very fun match to watch. I was dead happy the Cas lads got pizza as a reward. The boxes were sat there in the changing room just waiting for when they'd finished.

Gurke and Hare

When did Cas get really good? The only time I've ever been to The Jungle was for a relegation battle. Admittedly, this was over 10 years ago but I didn't realise they were improving - I've really paid much less attention since I moved to London.

Deanjam

They've been threatening for a couple of season, but this year they're better than any Cas team I've seen (the 93-94 team was pretty good). Have to wait and see if they can continue to play this well when it gets to the business end.

mikeyg27

Quote from: doppelkorn on May 02, 2017, 06:08:22 AM
I can't believe I've never noticed that Dr. Markwank has commissioned the club mascot in his own image. It's chilling.

I only noticed during the Salford game on Friday that the mascot is actually called Dr Devil. His squad number is 99 and not 666, which seems like a missed opportunity.

doppelkorn

The only time I've been to the jungle was to get my hose mended.

Wire would have been trounced by any other team today.

doppelkorn

Chase to Widnes...

Good move for all concerned. He apparently had another off-field incident last week.

dr beat

Rumours are that Chase turned up drunk to Halifax-Fev and got involved in an altercation there, hence Cas wanting to let him go.

Despite this, I'm cautiously optimistic.  While I've been critical of Betts here, he does seem to have tried to develop the kind of ethos at Widnes which might help Chase turn himself around, just depends on how much he's willing to commit to the cause I guess.

As it happens I saw the news not long after I made a late booking for Magic Weekend tickets.  At least it will be interesting to see how Chase gets on this Saturday.

doppelkorn

Jesus I forgot about Magic Weekend is it a bank holiday?

Gulftastic

Quote from: doppelkorn on May 16, 2017, 08:07:11 PM
Jesus I forgot about Magic Weekend is it a bank holiday?

Sadly not. We set off at a ridiculously early time on Saturday morning and return on Monday afternoon. Staying in South Shields again, cos we like it there. We've got tickets for both days because it's so cheap, but we might not make it in on Saturday, as we fancy a bit of a pub crawl in North Shields.

doppelkorn

That was a nervy listen.