Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,584,352
  • Total Topics: 106,754
  • Online Today: 1,132
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 05:08:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Rugby League 2017

Started by doppelkorn, January 11, 2017, 03:00:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Thrashbarg

I did not enjoy watching Hull's game and turned off in a fit of pique. Probably should've watched the last game really.

doppelkorn

^^ Bennie Westwood looks on expecting the two points.

Deanjam

That was embarrassing by Warrington.

Gulftastic

Quote from: Deanjam on May 26, 2017, 10:28:07 PM
That was embarrassing by Warrington.

Yes. I love my Rhinos, and enjoyed seeing them run riot but I have to concede that it really helped that Warrington were so fucking abject.

doppelkorn

When I checked the scores, almost every game was going against script at that point with Widnes, Leigh, Hudds all winning. I can't understand what's going on at Warrington.

Gulftastic

Appalling shit from Leeds.

dr beat

Funny old day from a Widnes point of view, what with waking up this morning to read talk of offers to relocate, but the day ended with a win.

Only seen the brief highlights on Sky Sports but good to see Chase involved, far, far better than last weekend.

doppelkorn

Help me understand why Chris Sandow isn't playing in the NRL.

Mr Eggs

Quote from: doppelkorn on June 01, 2017, 02:45:00 PM
Help me understand why Chris Sandow isn't playing in the NRL.

Would you take a punt on the tubby violent mad bastard? Still under contract to Warrington?

doppelkorn

Yeah apparently he's on loan to the Brisbane Norths (whoever they are).

British teams have a proud tradition of giving second chances to mad Australians. But I expect to see him at Toronto soon.

Beagle 2

I've been watching a few rugby league games over the last few weeks for the first time since about 1992 and enjoyed them a lot. Really refreshing atmosphere and tempo after the tiredness of the premier league. I love all the bonkers camera angles and embracing of technology.

I suppose I'll be a Cas fan as they were the nearest team to me growing up, and they're the only team I've been to see. My mates were all either Cas or Featherstone Rovers fans but for some reason I just never got into it.

Anyway, weird juncture in my life to suddenly start watching it, and coincidental with Cas's fortunes. Would really like to get down to watch a game, not least because I really need a hose mending. 

doppelkorn

That's similar to me last season suddenly really throwing myself (back?) into it.

You'll be reassured to know that it's still, unfortunately, a dying game.

Whereabouts do you live now?

Old Thrashbarg

Quote from: Beagle 2 on June 03, 2017, 06:04:16 PM
Anyway, weird juncture in my life to suddenly start watching it, and coincidental with Cas's fortunes. Would really like to get down to watch a game, not least because I really need a hose mending.

The game against Hull on 1st July should be a decent one to attend. We (Hull) always bring a large following and it's usually a cracking atmosphere. And more often than not an entertaining game.

Beagle 2

Unfortunately I live in Scotland these days but my dad still lives 20 minutes from Cas, and my little brother's a Cas fan so I'll definitely make it over at some point. My best mate was a season ticket holder until he moved to Japan and is slightly bemused at my sudden interest after nearly three decades of me taking the piss out of him for liking it!

Watched Hull tonight and for all I know, which is fuck all, they looked good.

doppelkorn

The letters page in this week's League Express made me laugh. There were 21 letters published, and here's what they complained about:

1. Commentator bias towards Bradford (against Hull KR)
2. The RFL's handling of Bradford
3. Huddersfield and Saints being allowed to move their fixtures
4. Scheduling of Challenge Cup rounds
5. Stuart Cummings
6. Biased refs
7. Biased refs
8. Biased refs
9. Toronto and Brian Noble in general
10. Toronto
11. Toronto (subhead of the letter: "It's all wrong!")
12. The potential of Magic Weekend being moved
13. The potential of Magic Weekend being moved
14. The fact that he saw too many knock-ons at the weekend
15. Ostensibly nothing. It's a letter praising the Warrington support, but manages to get a dig in at Wigan and Saints.
16. Nothing! Praises Newcastle and York clubs
17. Sky prices
18. Sky prices
19. Sky commentary
20. Nothing
21. Stewards at Catalans

Deanjam

There was a guy on Twitter last night complaing of the ref being biased against Hull. This despite Wigan only getting their first penalty in the 53rd minute.

Biased-ref whinging is an epidemic in Rugby League right now.

Deanjam

Tony Smith is surely doomed now.

Gulftastic

Quote from: Deanjam on June 04, 2017, 04:47:55 PM
Biased-ref whinging is an epidemic in Rugby League right now.

It always has been. Some of the people I used to stand near were convinced that every ref was biased against Leeds.

Then we had 12 seasons in which we won 7 titles, 2 challenge cups, 3 world club challenges and 3 league leaders shields.

And they are still convinced that all the refs are biased against Leeds.

doppelkorn

Saints should be bloody ashamed of themselves crawling to the RFL asking for Ben Barba's beak ban to be reduced.

Let's remind ourselves of the time Willie Mason kept trying to snot him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwb1ViOyz7s

And for good measure, let's remember Mason in turn getting dropped by Jamie Peacock.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quAfNpBouW4&

Can anyone carry on this chain?

yesitsme

Since I moved to Scotland about 20 years ago I've really let my RL interest dwindle.  Only catching the odd game half-watched in the pub or on 5live.  We used to go all around watching Salford, Leigh, Swinton, Wire but like I say I could barely tell you anything about the teams now.

Fill me in.

Why are Salford doing so well this year?  For now anyway?

mikeyg27

Basically, because they got a moneybags owner a few years ago and his investment is finally starting to see dividends. I think he thought chucking money at the problem would solve it instantly. They've been gradually improving over the last few years anyway - it's odd considering how they required a miracle to not get relegated last season, but they actually weren't bad for most of last year - they were only outside the Super 8s because of a points deduction.

Salford are pretty much guaranteed a Super 8s spot this year. As for top 4 (i.e. playoffs) it's dependent on them maintaining form, because I expect Wigan / Saints to get their arse in gear soon as they always do. My worry for them is that they're like Hull were last year, a good team not used to competing for a whole season and running on fumes by the end.

Gulftastic

Good stuff from Leigh. The interception try was a particular highlight.

dr beat

QuoteUnfortunately I live in Scotland these days but my dad still lives 20 minutes from Cas, and my little brother's a Cas fan so I'll definitely make it over at some point. My best mate was a season ticket holder until he moved to Japan and is slightly bemused at my sudden interest after nearly three decades of me taking the piss out of him for liking it!

Hi Beagle 2, I'm an Edinburgh-based Widnes fan and its a struggle for me to get to games.  Having Magic Weekend in Newcastle has been advantageous though.  Looking forward to seeing Edinburgh Eagles v Aberdeen Warriors tomorrow.

Gulftastic

Catalans Comedy Capers followed by listening to my Rhinos winning a tight contest at Wakey. Reasonable Saturday night. Wish I'd been there. Fucking recurring illnesses.

Mr Eggs

Wire only concede 36 points against Cas! Wooo!

doppelkorn

I'm rooting more and more for them in the middle 8s now. Will take the lad over to the TRAILFINDERS STADIUM, which is a high-quality mixed-use affair where if you take a bike, you just lock it to the advertising hoardings round the pitch.

Beagle 2

Quote from: dr beat on June 09, 2017, 01:27:52 PM
Hi Beagle 2, I'm an Edinburgh-based Widnes fan and its a struggle for me to get to games.  Having Magic Weekend in Newcastle has been advantageous though.  Looking forward to seeing Edinburgh Eagles v Aberdeen Warriors tomorrow.

Yes, annoying I just missed out on that before starting to take an interest, although with childcare issues I probably wouldn't have been able to get to it anyway. How was the Edinburgh Eagles match? Looks fucking miles out, or I might have considered taking in a game!

dr beat

Get off the pitch Robbie!

Gulftastic

Warrington only have themselves to blame. They had the chances but piss poor execution cost them it. What is the point of Ashton Sims?