Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 03:17:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Nintendo Switch

Started by Kelvin, January 11, 2017, 06:38:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Replies From View on January 11, 2017, 11:46:15 PM
Surely fans of Nintendo could just place their mits on one of these?

One of my mates has a hobby of buying things he's vaguely interested in (whisky, games consoles, records and cult electronics mostly) at car boots and auction houses and selling them on ebay for profit (I actually find this a bit disgusting. These things should be cherished or enjoyed not turned over for profit where no work has taken place). I was quite surprised to see he managed to punt one of those for £10. I've got one in the loft somewhere, they're shite.

Bhazor

Twed

Uh oh, enjoy the headlines. There is a buttocks in a game. Will we never be set free?

Shay Chaise

Punch me up the dick with your hair.

Wiggy

Any idea when the price is likely to drop on the Switch and what sort of price it might be? And are they likely to sort out things like the joycon problems soon? Also, I watched that Ben Heck guy doing a Switch 'teardown' and he found something inside it which I think he said suggested they would probably increase the storage capacity at some point. Hmmmm, wonder when that might happen?

I would be tempted to pull the trigger and just buy it now, but as it doesn't seem to be in stock anywhere I'm more inclined to just wait for the things mentioned above to happen.

By the way, thanks to all those who have given opinions and reviews of the Switch and it's games here, it's been great to read. I think I mentioned on here a while ago that I haven't had a console since the PS2 and never really got into modern gaming and all the online malarkay, but the Switch is the first console that really got me excited about games again since my SNES and the more I read about it here the more I want to give it a go!

Kelvin

Quote from: Wiggy on May 19, 2017, 04:03:00 PM
Any idea when the price is likely to drop on the Switch and what sort of price it might be?

Christmas bundles, most likely.

QuoteAnd are they likely to sort out things like the joycon problems soon?

It's already been fixed. Launch units with the problem (which isn't all of them) can be fixed for free by sending them to Nintendo, and all units moving forward have sorted the issue, they claim.

QuoteAlso, I watched that Ben Heck guy doing a Switch 'teardown' and he found something inside it which I think he said suggested they would probably increase the storage capacity at some point. Hmmmm, wonder when that might happen?
You can already increase the storage substantially with memory cards. Hardware overhauls will be several years off, probably.

QuoteI would be tempted to pull the trigger and just buy it now, but as it doesn't seem to be in stock anywhere I'm more inclined to just wait for the things mentioned above to happen.

If you can wait until the sales later this year, you'll find the console will almost certainly drop in price slightly - although not by much, as the rumours all suggest Nintendo are making only a slim profit on the unit compared to previous consoles. It's also worth remembering that Nintendo games barely ever drop in price, even years and years after they're released. A physical copy of Zelda will still be over £30 in 5 years time, I imagine. Nearer £50 is you download it.

Wiggy

Thanks very much Kelvin. I hadn't realised they had already fixed the joycon issue and it was probably that more than anything that would have persuaded me to wait and good to know that a substantial overhaul of the system won't be for a while yet (which makes sense).

Looks like that's me sold then!

Shay Chaise

I know I'm a broken record but it's completely reinvigorated my love for gaming. My missus is out tonight so I'm taking it over to a mate's. We're going for a few pints then MK8, Bomberman, some Neo Geo beat em ups, Puyo Puyo Tetris and we'll be set for the night.

Hollow

I told you Nintendo would be okay...ye of little faith.

Bhazor

I've not been this excited for an E3 in years. Kind of nervous too. It could be make or break as far as major third party support goes. I mean I'm perfectly happy with the line up so far, I have a PC for anything multiformat, but it will at least shut up the arguments in every article about nogames nintendoomed. Zelda, Mario Oddysee, Disgaea 5, portable FIFA and Tumbleseed, sorted.

Oh and also ARMSe

Thursday

Bit late to the party on this one but THUMPER FUCKING HELL!

Thursday

Although a slight flaw, gave it a try in handheld mode and it's not really loud and intense enough that way.

Shay Chaise

Headphones obviously make all the difference. As Dave Turner/Sean Bell said on TCGS this week, it's obviously most intense on PSVR but the HD Rumble actually has a gameplay impact, like with TumbleSeed. Just feels right.

Thursday

Yeah I'm just repeating their opinions to you, the other person here who listens to it, but it actually feels like you're grinding against things.

Shay Chaise

Yes, it's that stabbing pulse when with normal rumble it's like bbbrrrrr.

I really love TCGS, I really do, as much as C&R. Hey, did you hear the hatemail question, by the way? Glad Sean got the Armando reference.

brat-sampson

... The Chris Gethard Show?

Thursday

Quote from: Shay Chaise on May 25, 2017, 09:53:26 PM

I really love TCGS, I really do, as much as C&R. Hey, did you hear the hatemail question, by the way? Glad Sean got the Armando reference.

Sounds familiar but I can't quite remember it now.

*edit* ah hang on I hadn't quite finished this week's episode.

Thursday

Quote from: brat-sampson on May 25, 2017, 10:11:19 PM
... The Chris Gethard Show?

The Computer Game Show.

it's a good podcast.

Midnight Resistance is better though.

Shay Chaise

Good call. It took a while to click with me but Midnight Resistance is probably the perfect balance of C&R and TCGS. Genuinely gutted it's ending.

brat-sampson

I'm crazy-into Easy Allies these days so am listening to them chat about games news on the weekly as well as the more in-depth deep-dives into various games and ideas in Frame Trap.

Great vibes.

Shay Chaise

Monster Hunter XX coming to Switch. Nintendo's share value jumped by 5% in a day.

Here we go.

TOTURRR FOKKADOWWW

brat-sampson

Innocent question, but wasn't that just a 3DS game? Is an (I assume it'll be) upscaled 3DS port really such a big deal? I mean, clearly, but...

Hollow

Quote from: brat-sampson on May 26, 2017, 06:48:55 PM
Innocent question, but wasn't that just a 3DS game? Is an (I assume it'll be) upscaled 3DS port really such a big deal? I mean, clearly, but...

I really doubt you could get away with a straight 3DS port, the 3DS is not a powerful console at all.

Kelvin

Monster Hunter Tri on the Wii (and later Wii U) was a remake of the 3DS game, with significantly upscaled graphics. I imagine this will be another game like that.

I hope so, anyway. Tri on Wii was brilliant, and one of that console's best games. 

Kelvin

Shay Chaise

MHXX was never released in the West, only MHX, but yeah, it's a port of the 3DS game. I am a little disappointed but all I really wanted from MHX was better controls, better graphics and a bigger screen to follow the action and I would have put in a shit load more time.

Shay Chaise

USF2 is brilliant fun, by the way.

Kelvin

Trailer for Monster Hunter XX on Switch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvzTD_RYDXs

Looks ugly as fuck, quite frankly, but also probably sets the standard for what a lot of games will look like when they start moving development from 3DS and onto Switch.

There's also a new trailer for Sonic Mania:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Ro-AbHsE_8

Ignatius_S

It's a little like saying 'Is it such a big deal that an incredibly successful and long-running franchise, particularly on handheld devices, is coming to the Switch?'

The games have been shown to be system sellers for devices like the PSP and 3DS – and even a port is going to do great business. Traditionally, the series did brilliantly in Japan but in the last few years, this has changed.

Last year, when Monster Hunter Generations launched in North America, it was one of the biggest sellers that month across all platforms and was credited helping 3DS hardware sales to be significantly up compared to the previous year.

Anyone playing the 3DS or Switch version will be able to play online together and that's quite a big thing, I would say – when the latter launches, there's going to be a healthy online community already.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Kelvin on May 31, 2017, 12:31:39 AM
Trailer for Monster Hunter XX on Switch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvzTD_RYDXs

Looks ugly as fuck, quite frankly, but also probably sets the standard for what a lot of games will look like when they start moving development from 3DS and onto Switch....

I suspect a fair bit is Capcom wanting to do a port as cheaply as possibly.