Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:43:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Obvious things you've only just realised (2017 THREAD)

Started by Stoneage Dinosaurs, January 12, 2017, 10:58:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

touchingcloth

Quote from: black_betty on January 13, 2017, 10:02:10 AM
If it's been done before, I didn't notice. Fortnight = fourteen nights. Jesus.

The first time this clicked for me was when reading some Regency novel or other - probably Austin - where "sennight" is sometimes used instead of "week". 

touchingcloth

Quote from: Norton Canes on January 15, 2017, 07:05:26 PM
The volume on the BBC iPlayer goes up to 11.

I've often wondered whether that's a deliberate Spinal Tap reference, or an accidental off-by-one coding error. And I've often thought to myself, "that's a pointless thing to wonder about, isn't it?"

Dex Sawash

QuoteFinally, one thing we haven't changed. Users who've come to enjoy that little bit extra from iPlayer (and Spinal Tap fans) will be happy to see that, where operating systems allow, the new iPlayer's volume controls still go up all the way to 11.       

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/internet/entries/6450f519-1a6a-3110-bca9-93393a923185

Joy Nktonga

Quote from: hedgehog90 on January 15, 2017, 07:52:32 PM
Fancy that! At some point I must have seen a picture of her when she was known as Walter, leading to the confusion earlier.
Either that or I have one of the strangest super powers ever conceived.

Just realised that I appeared to be being a bolshy sod when I posted that info, but I wasn't; it just came out like that. Sorry if you took offence.

Gurke and Hare

The lead character in the disappointing not-the-pink-panther-bit of The Pink Panther Show called The Aardvark was an aardvark.

Cerys

Wasn't it The Blue Aardvark?  Because if so your failure to notice that it was an aardvark is totally understandable.  What with it being blue.

Replies From View

Quote from: Cerys on January 16, 2017, 01:39:49 PM
Wasn't it The Blue Aardvark?  Because if so your failure to notice that it was an aardvark is totally understandable.  What with it being blue.

He wasn't called the fucking Blue Aardvark.

WAS HE CALLED THE RED ANT.  Nope.

Not all colours in Pink Panther associated cartoons are also names.

Cerys

Bloody hell, you're right!  Isn't memory a weird little bugger?  I remember a brief sequence in which the aardvark got all pissed off because the programme was called The Pink Panther, and insisted that it be called The Blue Aardvark.  It's now clear that this never actually happened, and my brain has been making shit up.

black_betty

Quote from: Steven on January 15, 2017, 09:01:02 PM
Knew you would you duodecimal-digit handed twat!

This just reminded me of 'The Princes Bride' were the baddy has... shit me!! Honestly only just got that.

Dex Sawash

Quote from: Dex Sawash on January 17, 2017, 01:37:46 AM
Should mention whoever it is on the cover of The Cars' album Candy-O

^ that may be a drawing, not a photograph

touchingcloth

This may be an obvious thing which I have yet to realise, but is there any relationship between the Pink Panther films, in which the Pink Panther is a diamond, and the Pink Panther cartoons, in which the Pink Panther is, well, a pink panther?

FredNurke

The latter first appears in the title sequence of the former, and was then spun off into his own cartoon.

Replies From View

How can any alive person not have watched The Pink Panther films?  Absurd.

touchingcloth

I've watched one, maybe two of them. Hadn't noticed the cartoon title sequence, though.

Replies From View

Quote from: touchingcloth on January 17, 2017, 01:21:59 PM
I've watched one, maybe two of them. Hadn't noticed the cartoon title sequence, though.

Yeah so I went to see the Northern Lights, yeah.  Beautiful it was, yeah.

DIDN'T BOTHER LOOKING AT THE FUCKING SKY, MIND.

touchingcloth

Well maybe I would have paid more attention and gone back for some repeat watchings if they'd bother to make the films excellent like for example The Hungry Game.

Replies From View

I've never seen The Hippo Diaries or whatever you just said.

JesusAndYourBush

Not only just, but about 6 months ago I discovered a wolverine is not a baby wolf as I'd always assumed, it's a completely different animal!

Replies From View

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on January 18, 2017, 03:29:00 AM
Not only just, but about 6 months ago I discovered a wolverine is not a baby wolf as I'd always assumed, it's a completely different animal!

I haven't seen the film but from what I can make out it's some kind of Edward Scissorhands with sideburns.

billtheburger

It has took me the best part of 20 years to realise that Trevor Baylis was a wind up merchant.

Brundle-Fly

I've just bought a turntable with the adjustable speed buttons.  Obviously, I press the 33 rpm button for albums, the 45 rpm button for singles and press both buttons simultaneously should I ever wish to play 78 rpm discs.

Hang on.

33 + 45 = 78.

Stone me. Never realised that ever before.

mook

me neither. i'm guessing that the original multi-speed record players worked on stepped down pulleys & belts like a cheap pillar drill? probably wrong.

Cerys

I discovered years ago that if you play the album version of Don McLean's American Pie at 45rpm he sounds like Dolly Parton.

Serge

That sweet potato fries are made from something called a sweet potato and are not just sweetened during the fry-making process.

Dex Sawash

Home fries may be made from cast off building materials

Replies From View

Norton Canes

In 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea, it's not...

Yeah.

Otherwise, even if they went to the bottom of the Mariana trench they could still only call it 20,000 Half-metres Under The Sea.