Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 03:39:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Obvious things you've only just realised (2017 THREAD)

Started by Stoneage Dinosaurs, January 12, 2017, 10:58:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

touchingcloth

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on May 18, 2017, 10:00:45 AM
I remember a song in the 90's(?) called "Get The Funk Out" where the n lasted for only a few milliseconds, but nobody questioned it and the record got played all over the place.

In a similar vein to the previous posts, Morrissey's "phone me, phone me, phone me" with a glottal stop in each "phone" from A Rush and a Push is meant to sound like fuck, yeah?

Paul Calf

I remember a song in the 90's(?) called "Get The Funk Out" where the n lasted for only a few milliseconds, but nobody questioned it and the record got played all over the place.

Ebeneezer Goode = "Es are good"!

Amazing how they hid that so cunningly in such a banal refrain.

yesitsme

Quote from: pigamus on May 07, 2017, 09:11:05 PM
The word 'Zoom' is supposed to sound like... 'Shum', like the sound of a thing going past you really quickly.

But it .... just doesn't, does it?

May i refer you to the case of 'Fat Larry' and 'Band'?

yesitsme

I think you're talking about two hit wonders Extreme (Xtreme? - Who gives a shit?).  From memory the lines went something like

'If you don't like what you see here - get the funk out (get the funk out).
'If you dont' like what we're doing - get the funk out (get tea fuck y'cunt).'

then futher on they asked...

'I suppose a funk's out of the question?'

yep, played all the time on yer very own local radio station no questions asked because it said 'funk' and not 'feck'.

Personally I find that more insulting.  What the funk does '..suppose a funk..?' mean?  Funking funkers.

*edit.

It was all over MTV too.  Never understood how US TV can show any amount of bollocks like this and yet the whole nation shits its pants the second some no-marks nip pops out.

I ask you. 

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: yesitsme on May 18, 2017, 12:36:24 PM
...and yet the whole nation shits its pants the second some no-marks nip pops out.

Yes, Americans still think it was a 'wardrobe malfunction' rather than something deliberate and rehearsed, which when Brits saw it they thought "Oh look, a nip.  Anyone want a cup of tea?" while Americans reacted like they'd just seen a rather brutal bestiality scene.

zomgmouse

This has likely been posted on here but the fact that the Teletubbies are so called because they have televisions for stomachs only recently fully dawned on me.

Cerys

I discovered over the last week that headbanging after fifteen years of not headbanging ... hurts.

Icehaven

Yorkies are called Yorkies because Rowntrees was based in York. The small dog is completely unrelated.

Bazooka

Quote from: icehaven on May 22, 2017, 11:29:12 AM
Yorkies are called Yorkies because Rowntrees was based in York. The small dog is completely unrelated.

Shook me to the core that did.

Gulftastic

Quote from: icehaven on May 22, 2017, 11:29:12 AM

Fuckinghell! I'm a born and bred Tyke, and I never knew that.

Zetetic

Quote from: touchingcloth on May 18, 2017, 12:04:12 AM
And [the Priory Hospital is] NHS, not private.
It most definitely is private. It might treat some NHS patients.

Dr Rock

wiki says 'By the early 1990s, almost half the Priory Group's patients were funded by the UK government.'

pigamus

Was genuinely going to post 'David Van Day wasn't in Bucks Fizz'. Until I Googled it.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: billtheburger on May 18, 2017, 10:04:49 AM
Quote from: Ominous Dave on May 18, 2017, 09:56:58 AMThe term 'seconds out' in boxing is an instruction to the fighters' assistants (ie, 'seconds') to get out of the ring, not a warning that there are no seconds of time left before the start of the next round.
I also had not realised this.

You two are in plentiful company... I'm pretty sure this was in one of the much earlier incarnations of this thread (which annoyingly Google's failing to find for me), and yes, it was news to me back then too.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: touchingcloth on May 18, 2017, 10:07:51 AM
In a similar vein to the previous posts, Morrissey's "phone me, phone me, phone me" with a glottal stop in each "phone" from A Rush and a Push is meant to sound like fuck, yeah?

Kind of yes.  I think it's certainly meant to be a euphemism for that, given that his work is full of them.

Come to that, I'm fairly sure that the title itself is a reference to anal sex: a rush of blood to the cock, a push up the arse... or maybe I'm just an overthinking pervert.

I don't even like anal sex very much.

Replies From View

touchingcloth

Some pubs and bars make use of a contraptional doohickey with which they give your glass a "cheeky rinse" before serving your drink. This can't - at least one would hope - be the sole means of keeping glassware clean between customers.

Quote from: Ambient Sheep on May 23, 2017, 02:16:54 AM
Kind of yes.  I think it's certainly meant to be a euphemism for that, given that his work is full of them.

Come to that, I'm fairly sure that the title itself is a reference to anal sex: a rush of blood to the cock, a push up the arse... or maybe I'm just an overthinking pervert.

I don't even like anal sex very much.

Ah, and maybe there's an extra bit of hidden smut in there, too - a rush and a push and the land we stand on is arse.

And thinking yet more, he performs a very forceful grunt before going into the start of each verse - rrrrrrrrrghhhhhhhh a rush and a push...

Layers and layers.

Of relevance, I've actually been considering for a few days now starting a thread titled "do you 'do anal'?". Perhaps I'll get on that now.

buttgammon

I always assumed that song was about English colonialism in Ireland, with the implication that Ireland was being aggressively fucked (this reading was more based on the reference to land than anything really). The sexual side is much more obvious and the political side is much less obvious, on second thoughts.

Replies From View

Quote from: touchingcloth on May 23, 2017, 10:08:47 PM
Some pubs and bars make use of a contraptional doohickey with which they give your glass a "cheeky rinse" before serving your drink. This can't - at least one would hope - be the sole means of keeping glassware clean between customers.

Oh never mind I thought you said "contraceptional doohickey", and had in mind some kind of sheath that you would place inside a dirty glass before rinsing it, so as to not actually rinse the glass and keep it dirty.

I didn't understand and was going to ask for clarification, before realising that was all in my head anyway.

What were you saying?

touchingcloth

No, you had it correct - my local serves their pints in coils, which I have always warned is the logical endgame to the madness started by those beardy cereal wankers.

Replies From View

Seems an awful lot of effort just to surreptitiously keep glasses filthy, but that's the world we live in now, I suppose.

Ferris

Mediterranean = medi ("middle") terra[nean] ("world/earth").

Because it was the middle of the known world for thousands of years.

hedgehog90

Deliberate is a strange word.
When a word develops 2 meanings, it seems silly that we pronounce one of them differently.
De-lib-er-ate. De-lib-rit.
Mate, just pick a different set of letters if you wanna do that shit.
Besides, we've already got a perfectly acceptable word for the adjective, intentional, why bother with another?

The obvious thing that occurred to me is Samuel Johnson made a fucking mess of it when he invented English.

Kane Jones

Quote from: yesitsme on May 18, 2017, 12:36:24 PM
I think you're talking about two hit wonders Extreme (Xtreme? - Who gives a shit?).  From memory the lines went something like

'If you don't like what you see here - get the funk out (get the funk out).
'If you dont' like what we're doing - get the funk out (get tea fuck y'cunt).'

then futher on they asked...

'I suppose a funk's out of the question?'

The second line is 'I s'pose a rock's out of the question?' and is from Def Leppard's Let's Get Rocked, not Extreme's Get The Funk Out. I'm proud to know this.

touchingcloth

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on May 24, 2017, 02:56:05 AM

Something that struck me the other day is that Northumberland is the land north of the Humber. I've just checked a map, and it's a good bit more north of the river than how I remembered it, but I've looked at wiki and it apparently used to be used to refer to all people living north of the border (Tyne- and Teeside included), but stuck with its present boundary due to that area being something of a stronghold thanks to its border with the Scotch. The old Northumberland's many, many castles were concentrated in the new Northumberland.

FredNurke

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on May 24, 2017, 02:56:05 AM

More probably 'in the midst of land', since it's landlocked apart from the Strait of Gibraltar and the Dardanelles.

saltysnacks

I found out that a kcal is 1000 calories. I knew of no such distinction between energy calories and food calories.

Ferris

Quote from: touchingcloth on May 24, 2017, 12:31:04 PM
Something that struck me the other day is that Northumberland is the land north of the Humber. I've just checked a map, and it's a good bit more north of the river than how I remembered it, but I've looked at wiki and it apparently used to be used to refer to all people living north of the border (Tyne- and Teeside included), but stuck with its present boundary due to that area being something of a stronghold thanks to its border with the Scotch. The old Northumberland's many, many castles were concentrated in the new Northumberland.

Look up Sutherland, so-named as it was the most southerly province ruled by the Jarl of Orkney but ironically on the northern tip of the mainland UK.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sutherland

Similarly Essex, Wessex, Sussex etc

Ferris

Or here's another good one - "exorbitant" spending refers to spending that is literally out of this world. Words are fun.

Long-time lurker, you know I made an account just to share these recently realized pearls.

touchingcloth

Words are fun. Thank you lurker, and hello.

I assume this was your first post because it's the first time you've had a day off in a long while?