Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 01:44:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Obvious things you've only just realised (2017 THREAD)

Started by Stoneage Dinosaurs, January 12, 2017, 10:58:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Calf

Quote from: olliebean on May 24, 2017, 09:33:50 PM
Deliberate and intentional aren't exactly the same. Intentional just means you chose to do something. You can do something on the spur of the moment and still have it be intentional. Whereas deliberate implies some thought has gone into it, i.e., that you deliberated about it before doing it.

Also, 'purposely' is not a fucking word.

QuoteCock-a-doodle-doo
The Dame has lost her shoe
The Master's lost his fiddling stick
And he doesn't know what to do

A fiddling stick is the bow of a violin.

hedgehog90

Quote from: olliebean on May 24, 2017, 09:33:50 PM
Deliberate and intentional aren't exactly the same. Intentional just means you chose to do something. You can do something on the spur of the moment and still have it be intentional. Whereas deliberate implies some thought has gone into it, i.e., that you deliberated about it before doing it.

Oh right.

Quote from: pigamus on May 24, 2017, 09:36:13 PM
We pronounce them differently 'cos one's a verb and one's an adjective.

Good point.

Quote from: icehaven on May 25, 2017, 05:09:52 AM
Also you don't intentional over a dilemma.

Yeah.

Sorry, language confuses me.

Icehaven

Quote from: Paul Calf on May 25, 2017, 09:30:08 AM

A fiddling stick is the bow of a violin.

Oh yeah! See also; ''Oh fiddle sticks.''

Gulftastic

The first name of ITV Newscaster Rageh Omaar sounds like when Scooby Doo tries to say 'Shaggy'.

gib

Quote from: Paul Calf on May 25, 2017, 09:30:08 AM
Also, 'purposely' is not a fucking word.

QuotePurposely came into English in the late 1400s or early 1500s, right in the middle of an -ly-adverb boom in English. Its earliest and current meaning is "on purpose, intentionally":

https://www.merriam-webster.com/words-at-play/purposely-purposefully-usage

Replies From View

Quote from: icehaven on May 25, 2017, 05:09:52 AM
Also you don't intentional over a dilemma.

You don't deliberate (adjective) over a dilemma either.

Gulftastic

The word 'appointment' is not the opposite of 'disappointment'.

Sebastian Cobb

I got in pissed last night and watched a BBC4 docu on the Beegees they're not American and they didn't just do camp disco (not that there owt wrong with that), they did some alright psych and stuff.

Olarrio

I'm not sure if it qualifies as being obvious, but there's a ruddy bear hiding in the mountain range in the Toblerone emblem!! Almost needs a bit of magic-eye work to see it at first. Clever Toblerone!

New Jack

Vicious cycle is a proper dictionary-backed-up term and not necessary just a stupid mangling of "vicious circle"

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Olarrio on May 28, 2017, 08:39:03 PM
I'm not sure if it qualifies as being obvious, but there's a ruddy bear hiding in the mountain range in the Toblerone emblem!! Almost needs a bit of magic-eye work to see it at first. Clever Toblerone!

Once you see the FedEx arrow you can't not see the FedEx arrow

Norton Canes

When you use a pepper mill, you don't have to keep turning it in the same direction.

Replies From View

Quote from: Norton Canes on May 30, 2017, 10:14:01 AM
When you use a pepper mill, you don't have to keep turning it in the same direction.

I blame growing up with pencil sharpeners.

Icehaven

Quote from: Norton Canes on May 30, 2017, 10:14:01 AM

I only recently realised I've been using these things

wrong for 20odd years. You're supposed to attach it to the rim of the lid so you're twisting horizontally rather than vertically. Or is it the other way around...

Dr Rock

I've just realised that I don't eat anything that comes in tins anymore. Sweetcorn was the last to go.

Replies From View

Quote from: icehaven on May 30, 2017, 11:48:25 AM

wrong for 20odd years. You're supposed to attach it to the rim of the lid so you're twisting horizontally rather than vertically. Or is it the other way around...

Maybe you can use them both ways, but it makes a lot more sense to me to cut vertically.  Cutting horizontally removes the top part of the can, leaving sharp metal all around the top.  Cutting vertically merely makes a sharp disc, and if you don't cut all the way around it becomes a hinge you can easily lift up but not detach, and you can safely press back into the can once emptied.

In short, we are right and they are wrong.

Danger Man

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on May 28, 2017, 08:40:48 PM
Once you see the FedEx arrow you can't not see the FedEx arrow

If you focus on the FedEx spoon the arrow goes away.

Icehaven

Quote from: Replies From View on May 30, 2017, 11:59:57 AM
Maybe you can use them both ways, but it makes a lot more sense to me to cut vertically.  Cutting horizontally removes the top part of the can, leaving sharp metal all around the top.  Cutting vertically makes a sharp disc, and if you don't cut all the way around it becomes a hinge you can easily lift up.

No it is the other way around then, I've been doing it horizontally (ha) which also makes a horrible grinding noise and makes the tin opener fall to pieces in your hand. I just thought they were badly made.

touchingcloth

Quote from: icehaven on May 30, 2017, 11:48:25 AM

I've had ones that work both ways - some attach under the rim of the can on the side, so when you're done you're left with a disc that includes the can's rim, and some attach inside the rim at the top, so when you're done you're left with a completely flat disc.

touchingcloth

I came in here to make this post:

QuoteTeasmaid. When you wake up, your tea's made.

Then I googled, and found that the product's actual name is Teasmade, so I'm not just an idiot, but a sexist one as well.

Replies From View

Quote from: touchingcloth on May 30, 2017, 04:39:17 PM
I came in here to make this post:

Then I googled, and found that the product's actual name is Teasmade, so I'm not just an idiot, but a sexist one as well.

I had the same issue with what I thought was called Lyptoniece.

MuteBanana

If you leave a glass of milk out for a couple of hours it becomes undrinkable. If you make a coffee with milk and leave that out, no matter how long its left, it still tastes alright.

Replies From View

Quote from: MuteBanana on June 01, 2017, 03:57:26 PM
If you leave a glass of milk out for a couple of hours it becomes undrinkable. If you make a coffee with milk and leave that out, no matter how long its left, it still tastes alright.

Why do you put your drinks outside?  They are not pets.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: MuteBanana on June 01, 2017, 03:57:26 PM

If you let porridge and almond milk dry on your work shirt it looks like bird shit.

Spoon of Ploff

I've just realized that there's some kind of spacial anomaly around Euston and KingsCross/St Pancras underground stations:

If I want to go Kings Cross from Euston on the Northern line I have to go south.
If I want to go to Kings Cross from Euston on the Victoria line I have to go north.

Its aliens isn't it?

Twed

Your first clue should have been the notion that you can draw a straight line through all of these stations.

Spoon of Ploff

Quote from: Twed on June 01, 2017, 06:34:29 PM
Your first clue should have been the notion that you can draw a straight line through all of these stations.

Ah yes. That's much better. Thanks Twed.

Porky pies must mean lies because of Cockney rhyming slang.

canadagoose

Quote from: Spoon of Ploff on June 01, 2017, 06:48:25 PM
Ah yes. That's much better. Thanks Twed.

I had a proper laugh at that. Have +1 virtual karma.

Twed