Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 01:45:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Obvious things you've only just realised (2017 THREAD)

Started by Stoneage Dinosaurs, January 12, 2017, 10:58:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Replies From View

Edd the Duck is not a talking horse that is a duck.

Cerys

Quote from: Norton Canes on January 24, 2017, 08:23:11 PM
In 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea, it's not...

Yeah.

Otherwise, even if they went to the bottom of the Mariana trench they could still only call it 20,000 Half-metres Under The Sea.

It's referring to how far they travelled, you silly man.

hedgehog90

Quote from: Cerys on January 24, 2017, 11:04:12 PM

I figured it meant depth too, to interpret it any other way is mad!

Verne is clearly just a thick cunt.

Replies From View

Quote from: hedgehog90 on January 24, 2017, 11:49:21 PM
I figured it meant depth too, to interpret it any other way is mad!

Verne is clearly just a thick cunt.

Do you think "walking for 40 miles above sea level" means walking in a straight line upwards towards the stars?

Replies From View

hedgehog90

A league is a measurement of distance. Is it defined that you can only walk a league? How did it become a common nautical term if you can only walk it, eh?
Look. The title is misleading. I know it. You know it. We all know it.
Brings to mind a load of fish playing football.

olliebean

Quote from: Replies From View on January 24, 2017, 11:54:17 PM
Do you think "walking for 40 miles above sea level" means walking in a straight line upwards towards the stars?

No, but the title isn't "Travelling for 20,000 leagues under the sea." Without the context of "walking," it'd be perfectly reasonable to interpret "40 miles above sea level" as an altitude.

yesitsme

Until I was about 20 I never thought there was a place actually called Surbiton.  I thought it was a made up for TV place that encapsulated all that is twee about England.

Y'know 'suburbia' + 'ton'.

What a wally!

New Jack

Low self esteem is at the root of much stuff you see online that wouldn't necessarily get an airing elsewhere. See: pizzagate, or say, a football club renewing a player's contract, only to have it be called a smokescreen to up his eventual selling price.

http://www.psypost.org/2016/02/narcissism-and-low-self-esteem-predict-conspiracy-beliefs-41253

It's one of those things I've known for ages, but it's nice to see things reinforced. It further strengthens my position that ultimately, compassion is the way forward. Today it's clicked in a way that won't ever leave me, and I can use it positively for others.

Mr Banlon

Quote from: yesitsme on January 25, 2017, 09:13:13 AM
Until I was about 20 I never thought there was a place actually called Surbiton.  I thought it was a made up for TV place that encapsulated all that is twee about England.

What a wally!
My wife thought Orbital was a place because she saw 'M25 London Orbital' on a road sign. She thought it was inbetween Surbiton and Norbiton.

Norton Canes

Yeah, sorry, I was trying to imply I'd realised that, by leaving the sentence half-finished.

Icehaven

Quote from: yesitsme on January 25, 2017, 09:13:13 AM

What a wally!

Don't feel too silly, I thought that until I read your post and I'm 37.

touchingcloth

Daft title, then. He should have called it "Quite Far in a Submarine" or "Wankin' In Tubes".

Cerys

Quote from: Norton Canes on January 25, 2017, 09:37:24 AM
Yeah, sorry, I was trying to imply I'd realised that, by leaving the sentence half-finished.

I clever :/

Dex Sawash

Quote from: icehaven on January 25, 2017, 10:06:28 AM
Don't feel too silly, I thought that until I read your post and I'm 37.

I've read it just a few years ago and my long held notion of depth measure lived until now. It will return to be just realized thing again i reckon.

pancreas

KennyMonster

Cerys

No, they growl at you if you try to restrain them.

yesitsme

How old were you before you twigged the 'joke' in the Barron Knights name?

Anyone beat 45?

There was a trail for Desert Island Discs earlier, featuring retired footballer David Beckham. He mentioned his habit of generally keeping his boots after a match, and that consequently he has about a thousand pairs.

Thing I realised: professional footballers don't reuse their boots.

And then I felt naive to expect thrift in such a culture of plenty.
And then I felt naive about that, because it'll actually be the sponsors wanting their boots looking perfect.

Questions arising:
I wonder how far down the league system you have to look before boot re-use appears?
Do most players not keep their used boots, and if so what happens to them? Are they given charitably to worse, poorer footballers? And if so is David Beckham, with his airing cupboard and tops of wardrobes [nb]he didn't say that, but that's where I choose to believe he stores them[/nb] stuffed full of them, depriving these other players?

pancreas

^ It's the same thing with pianos used by famous pianists. You see pictures of all these Steinway concert grands piled up in a skip after the Proms. Such a waste.

And now I look into it further, I see multiple (two) sources saying that boots need to be worn in and are re-used.

Also that so-called David "Look at me look at me I have a thousand pairs of boots" Beckham played 834 matches in his professional career.

What is going on?

Alternative facts, people. Alternative facts.

touchingcloth

Quote from: sick as a pike on January 26, 2017, 11:16:21 AM
And now I look into it further, I see multiple (two) sources saying that boots need to be worn in and are re-used.

Also that so-called David "Look at me look at me I have a thousand pairs of boots" Beckham played 834 matches in his professional career.

What is going on?

Alternative facts, people. Alternative facts.

Half time gives the profligate hoofsman the chance to waste double the number of boots.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

That little clock in the top right corner of the ETV stations actually works and tells you the right time, it's not just a static symbol.

Replies From View

Quote from: sick as a pike on January 26, 2017, 11:03:34 AM
There was a trail for Desert Island Discs earlier, featuring retired footballer David Beckham. He mentioned his habit of generally keeping his boots after a match, and that consequently he has about a thousand pairs.

Thing I realised: professional footballers don't reuse their boots.

And then I felt naive to expect thrift in such a culture of plenty.
And then I felt naive about that, because it'll actually be the sponsors wanting their boots looking perfect.

Questions arising:
I wonder how far down the league system you have to look before boot re-use appears?
Do most players not keep their used boots, and if so what happens to them? Are they given charitably to worse, poorer footballers? And if so is David Beckham, with his airing cupboard and tops of wardrobes [nb]he didn't say that, but that's where I choose to believe he stores them[/nb] stuffed full of them, depriving these other players?

Seems a bit of a risk wearing new shoes every time.  What if they are unexpectedly tight?  Discomfort and blisters, that's what.

Replies From View

There you are, you see.  I am clever.

To be honest I'm not even sure why footballers need shoes.  Footballs are leather so a foot coming into contact with a football is basically wearing a shoe for that moment.  Any more than that is surely doubling up.

touchingcloth

David Beckham strikes me as the sort of man who probably has a foot double to break in his shoes for him, before only wearing each broken in pair for a single half of a single match.

Incidentally, have you ever seen the feet of a premier league footballer's boot breaking in foot double? Horrendous. Like carved pumpkins in the second week of November
Spoiler alert
and that's just the smell
[close]

Replies From View

I planted the word "double" in your mind there, Derren Brown style.

touchingcloth

As revenge, I've just planted the word "cock" in your mum's mind.

Well, I say "word"...

Well, I say "mind"...

Well, I say "mum"...