Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 08:46:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The 70th Edinburgh Festival Fringe (2017)

Started by JCR, January 19, 2017, 10:31:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JCR

First tickets go on sale tomorrow, because 20th January screams Fringe. It's Tape Face who is onsale, playing Pleasance Grand from 2-26 August.

CaledonianGonzo

That Colin Cloud bloke is also on in the Grand.

selsdon man

I wonder if there'll be any jokes about Donald Trump.

CaledonianGonzo

buntyman

He's a Trump supporter? In that case he's just lost a sale!

Povidone

Quote from: selsdon man on January 19, 2017, 03:22:05 PM
I wonder if there'll be any jokes about Donald Trump.

Depends entirely on what you consider a joke to be. I've no doubt his name will be mentioned, some doubts it will be done in conjunction with anything remotely amusing.

hewantstolurkatad

Surely at the Fringe, where standing out as much as you can is pretty essential, tons of acts will want to sway away from such an obvious topic?

I do imagine there'll be at least five paid shows that pretty much market themselves solely on  the premise of an hour where the president of the united states will not be mentioned, mind

Gurke and Hare

The Theatre section of the programme is where all the Trump stuff will be, surely? There'll be some absolutely rotten plays about him in with the seven productions of The Laramie Project and Macbeth restaged in 18th Century Borneo.

JCR

End of an era in that Bridget Christie has said on facebook she's not doing it this year.

Seagullsim

I saw that too. Who else am I going to see at 11am on a Sunday?

CaledonianGonzo

Not impossible that Seymour Mace will move into that slot - or that Tony Law will move back in.

But yeah, that's a real shame.

DrGreggles

Quote from: CaledonianGonzo on February 21, 2017, 07:04:49 AM
Assembly are back on George Street:

http://www.scotsman.com/lifestyle/assembly-rooms-to-return-to-its-fringe-roots-as-digital-experiment-is-ditched-1-4372002

Thank fuck for that.
The Assembly Rooms and the Assembly venues need to be as far away from each other as possible, so that a confused person is at least 25 minutes from the correct venue if they make a wee fuck up.

It's near where I'm staying too, so that's nice.

CaledonianGonzo

I'd imagine that they'll run George Street in addition to the George Square / Mound / Roxy / Checkpoint sites.

CaledonianGonzo

DrGreggles

Quote from: CaledonianGonzo on February 25, 2017, 04:40:18 PM
A petition from The Stand, who're hoping to continue staging events in St Andrew's Square:

http://www.thestand.co.uk/news/699/25-02-2017-1106/stand_up_for_the_stand_comedy_club_–_we_need_your_help

Signed.

But I'm confused at a 3 year contract being essentially ignored.

CaledonianGonzo

Not Fringe related, but WIP tickets available here for Joseph Morpurgo's radio project:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/showsandtours/shows/joseph_morpurgo_8mar17

CaledonianGonzo

More shows added today - mainly yer EIC lot like Mr Half Man Half X-box and Craig Hill.

Chief thing that might be of note is Simon Amstell doing a late night WIP - but it's at the weekend in that goddamm basketball court, so is likely to be overrun with drunken ne'erdowells.

JCR

Sylvester McCoy and Robert Picardo are crowdfunding to do a play. Hope it happens as I love McCoy.

JCR

Richard Gadd is doing Monkey See Monkey Do from August 18th-27th at Summerhall.

DrGreggles

CaledonianGonzo

Only thing that leaps out is my favourite show of last year back for a run in a bigger room - How To Win Against History

Gwen Taylor on ITV

hummingofevil

Quote from: CaledonianGonzo on March 23, 2017, 01:34:31 PM
Only thing that leaps out is my favourite show of last year back for a run in a bigger room - How To Win Against History

I think Siorol Davies has been working on something new too so might be doubling up. Will check and see if I can find out. It was bloody great agreed.

CaledonianGonzo

So I see that Richard Herring is in the prime early evening slot in Pleasance One.

DrGreggles

Makes more sense than the enormodome that he used last time...

Are there more new shows up then?

CaledonianGonzo

True - but it's still a large room, in which someone could stand to lose a fair chunk of cash if they're not packing it out.

(was via his newsletter)

Timothy

New shows released today. Some are already up.... and Joseph Morpurgo will be back!

DrGreggles

Sebastian Cobb

Sara Pascoe tickets have just gone on sale.

I think Michael Legge is doing this year as well, but I'm basing that on his WIP gigs.