Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 11:27:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The 70th Edinburgh Festival Fringe (2017)

Started by JCR, January 19, 2017, 10:31:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duckula

The Found Footage festival guys are on all month at the Cowgate.

DrGreggles

I see that Blakey from On The Buses is doing his Faulty Towers Dining Experience again...

DrGreggles

Loads of stuff in the evening that I want to see.
Big gaps in the afternoon so far.

Hopefully The Stand can fill the voids.

Seagullsim

Cult favourite "The Wrestling" has gone on sale now. One night only, starting at 11pm.

I went a couple of years ago, and loved it. Always packed, and full of comedians in the audience too.

CaledonianGonzo

Is there any indication as to when The Stand are going onsale?

DrGreggles

CaledonianGonzo

Even then there's no reason to expect DK to be released with the rest of them if previous years are anything to go by.

I reckon Tony Law will be back across that side of town.

CaledonianGonzo

buntyman

He just e-mailed his mailing list to say he won't be performing at the Fringe :-(

CaledonianGonzo

Ah...so I see.  Jings.  No SLee or DK for the first time in an aeon.

CaledonianGonzo

Not sure, but if he is you'd have to assume that he's performing Content Provider in a big room.  I think there's space for it in his schedule, though I don't think The Stand are running any large venes this year so he might windup at Summerhall or something.

Duckula

Quote from: CaledonianGonzo on April 25, 2017, 03:41:07 PM
Not sure, but if he is you'd have to assume that he's performing Content Provider in a big room.  I think there's space for it in his schedule, though I don't think The Stand are running any large venes this year so he might windup at Summerhall or something.

I'm sure I saw a conspicuous August gap in his tour dates from his last mail out so you might be on the money there.

CaledonianGonzo

zomgmouse

Has anyone here who's gone to the Fringe gone for the full length of the Fringe? I am thinking of going this year - not with a show, just to watch - and am wondering how feasible that is. Especially considering I'm coming from the entire other side of the earth.
Also, in Melbourne we have "participant passes" which let anyone associated with a show (occasionally including friends of people with not much of a cast/crew) see anything for free provided it's not sold out - does such a thing exist for Edinburgh and how readily available are they to someone like me?
THANKS IN ADVANCE.

DrGreggles

I think the next (last?) big chunk of shows go up on the Ed Fringe site on Thursday.

CaledonianGonzo

Quote from: zomgmouse on May 09, 2017, 03:59:52 AM
Has anyone here who's gone to the Fringe gone for the full length of the Fringe? I am thinking of going this year - not with a show, just to watch - and am wondering how feasible that is. Especially considering I'm coming from the entire other side of the earth.

Well, I live here, so I'm here all August pretty much every year.  I'm sure it's feasible, but it won't come cheap unless you maybe line up some part time or casual work to help pay for it all.

Quote from: zomgmouse on May 09, 2017, 03:59:52 AM
Also, in Melbourne we have "participant passes" which let anyone associated with a show (occasionally including friends of people with not much of a cast/crew) see anything for free provided it's not sold out - does such a thing exist for Edinburgh and how readily available are they to someone like me?
THANKS IN ADVANCE.

They do exist, but they seem to be restricted to performers, techies and venue staff.  I'm not sure I've heard of anyone getting into tonnes of shows for free via a pal.

Edit:  For example, applying for something like this would kill two birds with one stone.

http://www.underbelly.co.uk/about/jobs

https://www.pleasance.co.uk/fringe-volunteers-2017

JCR

Quote from: Duckula on April 25, 2017, 03:08:09 PM
Is SLee definitely not up this year?

He said see you next year, or words to that effect, at the end of his tour show here in March.

DrGreggles

I thought Stew normally did a run at a bigger (non Stand) venue when he had a touring show.
Last time he did the Assembly Rooms, and they haven't announced much yet.

CaledonianGonzo

Assembly Rooms are being run by Assembly (the promoters) this year for the first time in a number of years, so it's unlikely to be there.

Looks like The Stand have commandeered the Freemason's Hall at the far end of George St, so he might wind up there.

http://www.scotsman.com/heritage/edinburgh-fringe-and-book-festival-to-join-forces-for-70th-anniversary-arena-1-4432826

zomgmouse

Quote from: CaledonianGonzo on May 09, 2017, 09:17:07 AM
Well, I live here, so I'm here all August pretty much every year.  I'm sure it's feasible, but it won't come cheap unless you maybe line up some part time or casual work to help pay for it all.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I can continue doing the work I'm currently doing remotely, so that should be okay. It'd be a matter of forcing myself to do it, I suppose. Though things do seem to be quite a bit dearer in the UK than here, if my trip last year was anything to go by. Coincidentally, if you or anyone in Edinburgh are willing to house a small-to-average-sized Australian for a month I'd be dumbfoundedly grateful.

Quote from: CaledonianGonzo on May 09, 2017, 09:17:07 AM
They do exist, but they seem to be restricted to performers, techies and venue staff.  I'm not sure I've heard of anyone getting into tonnes of shows for free via a pal.

Edit:  For example, applying for something like this would kill two birds with one stone.

http://www.underbelly.co.uk/about/jobs

https://www.pleasance.co.uk/fringe-volunteers-2017

Technically the ones in Melbourne are just for cast and crew but sometimes people are sneaky and put their friends down as crew. Though I am wiling to do actual tech/flyer things if need be. I am basically keen to do anything I can to not have to pay for shows.
That is a great tip about venues, though I'm guessing they only give passes to shows on their own premises?

CaledonianGonzo

I think the passes for the 'Big 4' venues (Pleasance, Assembly, Underbelly and Gilded Balloon) are maybe inter-usable, but never having had one I couldn't say for certain. 

Realistically, it's gonna be accommodation that'll hit you in the pocket, particularly if it's this year you're considering as it's fairly short notice.

In terms of getting freebie tickets, maybe reviewing for publications like Fest, Three Weeks or Broadway Baby might be an option.  Or you could apply to be on the Comedy Awards panel - though there's only 3 days left to apply.

http://www.comedyawards.co.uk/the-panel/apply

CaledonianGonzo

I lost a few posts in The Great Outage, but for anyone that's not aware a whole host of great stuff went onsale on Thursday - Sadowitz, Alexei Sayle, John Kearns,  Spencer Jones, Trygve Wakenshaw, Sam Simmons, Tony Law, Simon Munnery, etc.

DrGreggles

Quote from: CaledonianGonzo on May 14, 2017, 05:09:45 PM
I lost a few posts in The Great Outage, but for anyone that's not aware a whole host of great stuff went onsale on Thursday - Sadowitz, Alexei Sayle, John Kearns,  Spencer Jones, Trygve Wakenshaw, Sam Simmons, Tony Law, Simon Munnery, etc.

Yep, my calendar became very full very quickly.

Great to see that Mr Tony's back at The Stand at lunchtime. It's become a tradition.
Saw him in Cambridge on Friday night and he was wonderful.

Whose Line... is back too. That was great fun last time.

WestHill

Trygve's show with his baby son looks interesting!

The couple of times I've seen Kearns this year, he has absolutely stormed it. Acaster went first on a mixed bill in Manchester in the autumn and was so good it was almost unplayable but Kearns followed him and took it to a whole new level - his material and physical performance have improved loads (and I loved his award-winning show).

CaledonianGonzo

QuoteJoin us as we celebrate our 33rd year at the Fringe with a one-off comedy extravaganza on our opening Saturday! Come check out some of the new kids on the block as they make their Pleasance debut in this late night comedy party! Best of all, tickets are totally free!

https://www.pleasance.co.uk/event/pleasance-newcomer-gala#overview

QuoteJoin the Pleasance for a very special preview of some of the most exciting shows in our 2017 programme and help us launch our 33rd year at the Edinburgh Festival Fringe!

https://www.pleasance.co.uk/event/pleasance-opening-gala-2#overview

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: CaledonianGonzo on May 09, 2017, 02:09:35 PM

Realistically, it's gonna be accommodation that'll hit you in the pocket, particularly if it's this year you're considering as it's fairly short notice.

I spent a few nights at the camp site near the airport last year. If you're alright sleeping near a runway it's alright facility-wise and not that expensive.

CaledonianGonzo

Just espied that Kevin McAleer is doing his first Fringe run in a decade.

Sebastian Cobb

Is there any sort of web wizardry that if I put in the people I'd like to see it'll automatically plan my days and tell me the wheres and whens? I'm shite at that planning stuff.