Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 11:50:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The 70th Edinburgh Festival Fringe (2017)

Started by JCR, January 19, 2017, 10:31:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CaledonianGonzo

Not that I know of, I'm afraid.  I just use Excel and then realise that everything I want to see is on at 8pm.

buntyman

It all seems quite expensive this year. lots of things 12-15 quid that would usually have been a tenner. Quite a few decent looking things to see but a lot of people that i've seen more than once already. Tim Key's always worth a look but not sure who else i'd really like to make the effort for. I regret not going to see Bill Burr last year, I've really been enjoying his podcasts recently.

DrGreggles

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on May 15, 2017, 08:16:07 PM
Is there any sort of web wizardry that if I put in the people I'd like to see it'll automatically plan my days and tell me the wheres and whens? I'm shite at that planning stuff.

I just use a free calendar from http://www.teamup.com/
It's free, works well as a day planner, plenty of room for notes and it looks nice.

CaledonianGonzo

Quote from: buntyman on May 15, 2017, 08:49:32 PM
It all seems quite expensive this year. lots of things 12-15 quid that would usually have been a tenner.

If you become a Friend of a Fringe then everything at The Stand and at Heroes is 2 for 1.  Combined with previews and 2 for 1s on the first Monday / Tuesday most of the tickets I've bought have been way less than that.

DrGreggles

Despite him being on seemingly every year for the past decade, I've never seen The Boy With Tape On His Face*.
Is it worth checking out his last hurrah?

*does everyone sing that as Morrissey, or is it just me?

CaledonianGonzo

Its not especially demanding, but he's good at what he does and it's crowd pleasing stuff.

DrGreggles

Does anyone fancy trying to synchronise their schedule for the 7th and 8th to maximise the 2-for-1 deals?

Edit: Current running total for 5 days is £291 in tickets alone!

DrGreggles

Quote from: DrGreggles on May 14, 2017, 05:21:14 PM
Whose Line... is back too. That was great fun last time.

Colin Mocherie and Mike McShane are in Edinburgh too, performing on a show that doesn't clash with WLIIA.
Just sayin'...

CaledonianGonzo

DrGreggles

Quote from: DrGreggles on May 16, 2017, 09:47:37 PM
Does anyone fancy trying to synchronise their schedule for the 7th and 8th to maximise the 2-for-1 deals?

Edit: Current running total for 5 days is £291 in tickets alone!

Right, anyone interested in a cheap ticket for any of these shows, give me a shout (allow me to claw back some of my outgoings).

Monday, 7th August
John Kearns
Spencer Jones
Richard Herring

Tuesday, 8th August
Alexei Sayle
Simon Evans

Or £25 for the lot.

machotrouts

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on May 15, 2017, 12:48:34 PM
I spent a few nights at the camp site near the airport last year. If you're alright sleeping near a runway it's alright facility-wise and not that expensive.

I live on that site. If any CaB people are there this year, let me know so I can wave at your puny tents from the window of my comfortable bedroom, laughing heartily but inaudibly behind the thick, warm glass

DrGreggles

I'm in a B&B in the New Town (booked last September), which is pretty handy for stuff/things/etc.

Anyway, is that the lot for big show additions? I know there are a few late announcements, but usually most are in place by now.

DrGreggles

And the award for 'Least Amount of Effort Put Into a Show Title' goes to:

DrGreggles

Quote from: DrGreggles on May 17, 2017, 05:33:54 PM
Right, anyone interested in a cheap ticket for any of these shows, give me a shout (allow me to claw back some of my outgoings).

Monday, 7th August
John Kearns
Spencer Jones
Richard Herring

Tuesday, 8th August
Alexei Sayle
Simon Evans

Or £25 for the lot.

No takers?

CaledonianGonzo

Sorry.  Booked up already with Mrs CG as my +1.

CaledonianGonzo

So - who's this Andy Daly guy?  Worth a punt?

Old Nehamkin

Quote from: CaledonianGonzo on May 26, 2017, 11:39:13 AM
So - who's this Andy Daly guy?  Worth a punt?

I've not seen him live before, but if you want a taste of the semi-improvised character stuff that he'll be bringing to the fringe (based on the show description) I'd recommend listening to some of his appearances on the Comedy Bang Bang podcast, of which there are plenty of clips on youtube. He was also fantastic in the recently cancelled Comedy Central show Review, but that's less likely to be indicative of his stage act.

CaledonianGonzo

OK - cheers.  I'm not really a big (US) comedy podcast listener - is it likely to be full of in jokes and catchphrases that are going to sail right over my head?  I saw James Adomian a few years back and it was largely impressions of obscure statesiders that left the joint shrugging.

Old Nehamkin

Quote from: CaledonianGonzo on May 26, 2017, 01:00:04 PM
OK - cheers.  I'm not really a big (US) comedy podcast listener - is it likely to be full of in jokes and catchphrases that are going to sail right over my head?  I saw James Adomian a few years back and it was largely impressions of obscure statesiders that left the joint shrugging.

I don't think so. CBB was one of the first US podcasts I ever listened to and Daly's appearances were a big part of why I got into it. He tends to do original characters and he's not really an impressions guy as far as I now. Most of the time his basic in-character schtick is to initially come across a broad, affable oddball, then slowly reveal a ridiculously elaborate and mental backstory as teased out by the host's questions. I'm not sure exactly how closely that formula will translate into a live setting, but the show description mentions an audience Q+A format as well as characters that he's previously done on podcasts, so I imagine the territory will be pretty similar.

CaledonianGonzo

Apparently you get a 2-for-1 ticket code if you sign up for this brochure.  Dunno what the restrictions are (if any) but might be worth a punt.

http://www.edfest.com/join-our-mailing-list

DrGreggles

Quote from: CaledonianGonzo on May 31, 2017, 10:34:49 AM
Apparently you get a 2-for-1 ticket code if you sign up for this brochure.  Dunno what the restrictions are (if any) but might be worth a punt.

http://www.edfest.com/join-our-mailing-list

My guess is that it's for the 7th and 8th of August...

CaledonianGonzo

Hasan Minhaj, anyone?  Seems to be an emerging name Stateside, but is only playing 3 dates and timings aren't great for shows I've already got booked....

Edit:  Also,  that's the Traverse line-up out.  Zoe Coombes-Marr seems to be doing a collaborative piece with Adrienne Truscott and Ursula Martinez.

Sebastian Cobb

Right, so I've pulled the trigger on

Andy Zaltzman
Some play called How to Win Against History
The boy with tape on his face
Richard Herring's Edinburgh Fringe Podcast Recording
Richard Herring's standup set.
Sara Pascoe
Richard Gadd
Tony Law
A Joke (A play with Robert Picardo in it)
Michael Legge
Simon Munnery
Jerry Sadowitz
Seymour Mace
Mark Thomas
Mark Steel

thegammonboys

I need help: My Fringe is too cock heavy.
I usually like to get as close to a gender balance as possible. Not out of some kind of PC, liberal guilt, I just find it makes for a better Fringe. The 3 women I usually like to see are Lolly Adefope, Lou Sanders, and Holly Burn among others, but none are up. Christ, Josie Long's not even there.
Does anyone have any suggestions? (Not massive fan of Sara Pascoe if I'm honest.)

CaledonianGonzo

Josie Long is doing a few shows at Summerhall.

https://festival17.summerhall.co.uk/event/josie-long/

I've got tickets for Sarah Kendall and Hannah Gadsby, who're both reliable choices.  Gadsby's show just won the Barry award in Melbourne.

Also taking a punt on Laura Davis:

http://www.chortle.co.uk/review/2017/04/10/36093/laura_davis%3A_cake_in_the_rain?rss#

qwerty616

Is Stewart Lee not at the festival this year as I don't see him listed anywhere?