Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 05:49:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

President Trump #4 - The First 100 Days

Started by Barry Admin, January 31, 2017, 06:28:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Black_Bart

QuoteThe Mass Psychology of Fascism[4] (German: Die Massenpsychologie des Faschismus) is a 1933 book by Wilhelm Reich, in which Reich explores how fascists come into power, and explains their rise as a symptom of sexual repression.

Never really thought of Il Duce as sexual repressed. Quite the opposite.

AsparagusTrevor

Cuellar

Quote from: Black_Bart on February 01, 2017, 12:56:35 PM
Never really thought of Il Duce as sexual repressed. Quite the opposite.

I think the point is they attract support from the sexually repressed.

p.s. just guessing, I haven't read it. But I will. Then I'll report back.

Howj Begg

Have we had Trump on Black History Month yet?

Transcript of President Donald Trump's remarks on Black History Month:

Well, the election, it came out really well. Next time, we'll triple the number, or quadruple it. We want to get it over 51, right. At least 51.
Well, this is Black History Month, so this is our little breakfast, our little get-together. And just a few notes. During this month, we honor the tremendous history of the African-Americans throughout our country. Throughout the world, if you really think about it, right. And their story is one of unimaginable sacrifice, hard work and faith in America. I've gotten a real glimpse during the campaign; I'd go around with Ben to a lot of places that I wasn't so familiar with. They're incredible people. And I want to thank Ben Carson, who's going to be heading up HUD, and it's a big job, and it's a job that's not only housing, it's mind and spirit, right? And you understand that. Nobody's going to be better than Ben.

Last month we celebrated the life of Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr., whose incredible example is unique in American history. You read all about Dr. Martin Luther King a week ago when somebody said I took the statue out of my office. And it turned out that that was fake news. The statue is cherished. It's one of the favorite things — and we have some good ones. We have Lincoln, and we have Jefferson and we have Dr. Martin Luther King. And we have other. But they said the statue, the bust, of Dr. Martin Luther King was taken out of the office. And it was never even touched. So I think it was a disgrace, but that's the way the press is. It's very unfortunate.

I am very proud now that we have a museum, National Mall, where people can learn about Reverend King, so many other things, Frederick Doug — Douglass is an example of somebody who's done an amazing job that is being recognized more and more, I notice. Harriet Tubman, Rosa Parks and millions more black Americans who made Americans what it is today. Big impact. I'm proud to honor this heritage and will be honoring it more and more.

Folks at the table, in almost all cases, have been great friends and supporters. And Darrell, I met Darrel when he was defending me on television. And the people that were on the other side of the argument didn't have a chance, right. And Paris has done an amazing job in a very hostile CNN community; he's all by himself. Seven people and Paris. I'll take Paris over the seven. But I don't watch CNN, so I don't get to see you as much. I don't like watching fake news. But Fox has treated me very nice, wherever Fox is, thank you. We're going to need better schools, and we need 'em soon. We need more jobs, we need better wages, a lot better wages. We're going to work very hard on the inner city. Ben's going to be doing that, big league, that's one of his big things that we're going to be looking at. We need safer communities and we're going to do that with law enforcement. We're going to make it safe. We're going to make it much better than it is right now. Right now, it's terrible.

I saw you talking about it the other night, Paris, on something else that was really — you did a fantastic job the other night on a very unrelated show. I'm ready to do my part, and I will say this, we're going to work together. This is a great group, this is a group that's been so special to me, you really helped me a lot. If you remember, I wasn't going to do well with the African-American community, and after they heard me speaking and talking about the inner city and lots of other things, we ended up getting, I won't go into details, but we ended up getting substantially more than other candidates who had run in the past years. And now we're going to take that to new levels. I want to thank my television star over here — Omarosa's actually a very nice person. Nobody knows that. I don't want to destroy her reputation. She is a very good person and she's been helpful right from the beginning with the campaign and I appreciate it, I really do. Very special. So I want to thank everybody for being here.

BlodwynPig

All black people should be made into cherished busts.

Funcrusher

That really does read exactly like a Craig Brown style spoof of Trump. I think he actually is beyond parody at this point.

Bhazor

Big Jack McBastard

Fake news
Big league
Big impact
Very special

It's like Japanese product branding but less wordy.

Petey Pate

Visualisation of 1,500 individuals and organisations connected directly and indirectly to Donald Trump.

http://trump.kimalbrecht.com/network/

Bhazor

I think that page is what Trump sees when he cums. All those people and names and him right in the middle. In gold.

Howj Begg

Quote from: Petey Pate on February 01, 2017, 08:17:02 PM
Visualisation of 1,500 individuals and organisations connected directly and indirectly to Donald Trump.

http://trump.kimalbrecht.com/network/

yeah, but emails

Funcrusher

Quote from: Big Jack McBastard on February 01, 2017, 07:50:20 PM
Fake news
Big league
Big impact
Very special

It's like Japanese product branding but less wordy.

Don't forget 'doing a great/incredible job'. Frederick Douglass, doing a great job.

Bhazor

Trump is slowly turning into Frosties kid.

Its gonna work great, its gonna work great, this is not a ban of muslims from the Kuwait

imitationleather

There's a genuinely surprising number of Iranians in my cohort at university. As in, I think there's more Iranians than British people. There's even more Iranians than Chinese. This is at PhD-level, though. It's probably very different among the undergraduates.

Anyway, they all seem very sound and politically switched-on as fuck. Also a lot more confident about getting into lively political debates in real life than I am, that's for sure.

I hope Brexit doesn't mean we ban them.

Alberon

Don't worry about that. Foreign students pay a lot to come here. The UK won't pass that up.

Bhazor

The energy in this thread went right down since Milverton crashed from his coke high.

buttgammon

Quote from: imitationleather on February 01, 2017, 09:52:08 PM
There's a genuinely surprising number of Iranians in my cohort at university. As in, I think there's more Iranians than British people. There's even more Iranians than Chinese. This is at PhD-level, though. It's probably very different among the undergraduates.

Anyway, they all seem very sound and politically switched-on as fuck. Also a lot more confident about getting into lively political debates in real life than I am, that's for sure.

I hope Brexit doesn't mean we ban them.

I have an Iranian friend that I met in university here in Ireland. He wanted to do a course in the UK and it sounded like he was put off by the visa situation, but I seem to recall that it was complicated by the fact that he would have had to start the course without having the results from our Masters, let alone an official certificate. I never really talked about politics with my friend but it is obvious that his ideas and lifestyle and those of many of his peers are far removed from the impressions often given about Iran.

For what it's worth, everyone who has met him comments on how he is one of the most faultlessly nice people there is, and I'd take a million of him in the country over one Donald Trump (or Nigel Farage). My limited understanding of Iran is similar to a basic interpretation of what is happening in the west - moribund, paranoid, bigoted old conservatives fucking over young, progressive, educated people to save themselves and defend their ignorant, stupid ideas.

Big Jack McBastard

Quote from: Bhazor on February 02, 2017, 12:06:49 AM
The energy in this thread went right down since Milverton crashed from his coke high.

Low energy thread, very disappointing, big problems.

Big Jack McBastard

It's a crooked thread, it's just awful right now, but we can make is so unbelievable you're not even gonna believe it, big numbers, 100 pages, we'll make this thread great again, heck we'll make it 10 pages longer!

Blumf

Could an admin check the IP logs and make sure there's been no views on this thread from Mexico?

Just saying, we won't support sanctuary threads on this here forum!

Barry Admin

QuoteNo 'G'day, mate': On call with Australian prime minister, Trump badgers and brags - The Washington Post

It should have been one of the most congenial calls for the new commander in chief — a conversation with the leader of Australia, one of America's staunchest allies, at the end of a triumphant week.

Instead, President Trump blasted Australian Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull over a refu­gee agreement and boasted about the magnitude of his electoral college win, according to senior U.S. officials briefed on the Saturday exchange. Then, 25 minutes into what was expected to be an hour-long call, Trump abruptly ended it.

At one point Trump informed Turnbull that he had spoken with four other world leaders that day — including Russian President Vladi­mir Putin — and that "This was the worst call by far."

Trump's behavior suggests that he is capable of subjecting world leaders, including close allies, to a version of the vitriol he frequently employs against political adversaries and news organizations in speeches and on Twitter.

"This is the worst deal ever," Trump fumed as Turnbull attempted to confirm that the United States would honor its pledge to take in 1,250 refugees from an Australian detention center. Trump, who one day earlier had signed an executive order temporarily barring the admissions of refugees, complained that he was "going to get killed" politically and accused Australia of seeking to export the "next Boston bombers."

U.S. officials said that Trump has behaved similarly in conversations with leaders of other countries, including Mexico. But his treatment of Turnbull was particularly striking because of the tight bond between the United States and Australia — countries that share intelligence, support one another diplomatically and have fought together in wars including in Iraq and Afghanistan.

The characterizations provide insight into Trump's temperament and approach to the diplomatic requirements of his job as the nation's chief executive, a role in which he continues to employ both the uncompromising negotiating tactics he honed as a real estate developer and the bombastic style he exhibited as a reality television personality.

The depictions of Trump's calls are also at odds with sanitized White House accounts. The official read-out of his conversation with Turnbull, for example, said that the two had "emphasized the enduring strength and closeness of the U.S.-Australia relationship that is critical for peace, stability, and prosperity in the Asia-Pacific region and globally."

A White House spokesman declined to comment. A senior administration official acknowledged that the conversation with Turnbull had been hostile and charged, but emphasized that most of Trump's calls with foreign leaders — including the heads of Japan, Germany, France and Russia — have been both productive and pleasant.

Trump also vented anger and touted his political accomplishments in a tense conversation with Mexican President Enrique Peña Nieto, officials said. The two have sparred for months over Trump's vow to force Mexico to pay for construction of a border wall between the two countries, a conflict that prompted Peña Nieto to cancel a planned meeting with Trump.

Trump told Peña Nieto in last Friday's call, according to the Associated Press, which said it reviewed a transcript of part of the conversation, "You have a bunch of bad hombres down there. You aren't doing enough to stop them. I think your military is scared. Our military isn't, so I just might send them down to take care of it."

Even in conversations marred by hostile exchanges, Trump manages to work in references to his election accomplishments. U.S. officials said that he used his calls with both Turnbull and Peña Nieto to mention his election win or the size of the crowd at his inauguration.

One official said that it may be Trump's way of "speaking about the mandate he has and why he has the backing for decisions he makes." But Trump is also notoriously thin-skinned and has used platforms including social-media accounts, meetings with lawmakers and even a speech at CIA headquarters to depict his victory as an achievement of historic proportions, rather than a narrow outcome in which his opponent, Hillary Clinton, won the popular vote.

The friction with Turnbull reflected Trump's anger over being bound by an agreement reached by the Obama administration to accept refugees from Australian detention sites even while Trump was issuing an executive order suspending such arrivals from elsewhere in the world.

The issue centers on a population of roughly 2,500 people who have sought asylum in Australia but were diverted to facilities off that country's coast at Nauru and Manus Island in Papua New Guinea. Deplorable conditions at those sites prompted intervention from the United Nations and a pledge from the United States to accept about half of those refugees, provided they passed U.S. security screening.

Many of the refugees came from Iran, Iraq, Sudan and Somalia, countries now listed in Trump's order temporarily barring their citizens entry to the United States. A special provision in the Trump order allows for exceptions to honor "a preexisting international agreement," a line that was inserted to cover the Australia deal.

But U.S. officials said that Trump continued to fume about the arrangement even after signing the order in a ceremony at the Pentagon.

"I don't want these people," Trump said. He repeatedly misstated the number of refugees called for in the agreement as 2,000 rather than 1,250, and told Turnbull that it was "my intention" to honor the agreement, a phrase designed to leave the U.S. president wiggle room to back out of the deal in the future, according to a senior U.S. official.

Turnbull told Trump that to honor the agreement, the United States would not have to accept all of the refugees but only to allow them each through the normal vetting procedures. At that, Trump vowed to subject each refu­gee to "extreme vetting," the senior U.S. official said.

Trump was also skeptical because he did not see a specific advantage the United States would gain by honoring the deal, officials said.

Trump's position appears to reflect the transactional view he takes of relationships, even when it comes to diplomatic ties with long-standing allies. Australia has sent troops to fight alongside U.S. forces for decades and maintains close cooperation with Washington on trade and economic issues.

Australia is seen as such a trusted ally that it is one of only four countries that the United States includes in the "Five Eyes" arrangement for cooperation on espionage matters. Members share extensively what their intelligence services gather and generally refrain from spying on one another.

There also is a significant amount of tourism between the two countries.

Trump made the call to Turnbull about 5 p.m. Saturday from his desk in the Oval Office, where he was joined by chief strategist Stephen K. Bannon, national security adviser Michael Flynn and White House press secretary Sean Spicer.

At one point, Turnbull suggested that the two leaders move on from their impasse over refugees to discuss the conflict in Syria and other pressing foreign issues. But Trump demurred and ended the call, making it far shorter than his conversations with Shinzo Abe of Japan, Angela Merkel of Germany, François Hollande of France or Putin.

"These conversations are conducted candidly, frankly, privately," Turnbull said at a news conference in Australia. "If you see reports of them, I'm not going to add to them."

colacentral

Phil Leotardo + Agent Jack Decker = Trump.

Howj Begg

Petey Pate

It's hard to see him lasting much longer if he carries on these kind of stunts.

Weird to think that at least George W Bush was polite and professional.

Jerzy Bondov

Quote from: Paul Calf on February 01, 2017, 01:48:47 AM
I've found the worst account on Twitter. There is nothing good about this, as you will see.

https://mobile.twitter.com/ifhillaryhad
Utterly revolting.
"DAY 11: Had brunch with Fey & Poehler. Signed an EO that outlaws mansplaining. Tasked Bill with re-organizing my pantsuit closet."
"DAY 12: Wrote a speech that made sense. Sent a bunch of #NastyWomen to Trump Tower to prank Donald. Told Bill to fetch me an iced tea."
FUCK OFF. I'm almost glad these idiots lost. It's almost worth the fascism.

Quote from: Pit-Pat on February 01, 2017, 06:31:17 AM
Hillary was literally the only candidate who could have lost to him, but if she runs again (as has apparently been rumoured) and if the Dems use the same disastrous algorithm-based election strategy that supposedly lost this one, we may be in trouble.
This would be the stupidest thing to have ever happened. They'd have better luck with a man called Horatio Dogfucker who openly admits he fucks dogs and all his campaign promises are based around fucking dogs and the first lady would be a dog he fucks.

Quote from: Alberon on February 01, 2017, 10:22:19 PM
Don't worry about that. Foreign students pay a lot to come here. The UK won't pass that up.
I wonder. Theresa May believes that higher education is an elaborate cover for an underground movement working to fill the country up with thick foreign people who can't speak English. Might work out okay for Russell Group universities, but anybody accepting anyone other than Asian child geniuses is heading for a big funding hole with a turd in the bottom of it.

Jack Shaftoe

I'm increasingly convinced Preibus (and the top GOP types) are just letting Trump and Bannon do pretty much know what they want, to see how much Dem stuff they can burn in the bonfires, before Trump really lands himself in the shit, at which point they'll impeach him. He's done so much stupid stuff, he's impeachable right now if they want.

I suspect the Dems know this too, which is why they're less keen on getting in the way of a democratically-elected President. If they're lucky, the GOP will do their job for them. There have to be some interesting back channel conversations going on between the two parties, because the GOP don't want Trump to go on for so long he burns the whole thing down.

Also suspect the Dems are increasingly worried their base are becoming more demanding and politicised, which could drag them uncomfortably leftwards - out of their comfort zone, but also (as they'd see it) into Labour territory, where the whole party just implodes. Doesn't like they're there yet, but who knows.

CAVEAT: I've been listening to too many podcasts lately, and have maybe convinced myself I have some sort of insight into the US system, which may not in fact be the case.

imitationleather

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on February 02, 2017, 10:43:33 AM
This would be the stupidest thing to have ever happened. They'd have better luck with a man called Horatio Dogfucker who openly admits he fucks dogs and all his campaign promises are based around fucking dogs and the first lady would be a dog he fucks.

If Hillary runs again I'm leaving the country! Okay, I don't live in the US. Job = Done.

Surely her team can't rig the Primaries again to her to get her to win the nomination in 2020? She'll be 73 if she's still alive, everyone now knows the (pretty terribly corrupt) stunts they pulled to ensure she beat Sanders, and she's hugely personally blamed for Trump winning. There's just no way Hillary can get the nomination again. Her career is toast.

If under crazy circumstances it did happen then Trump would probably end up winning the popular vote this time.

I think the Dems won't pick her, but they will learn nothing, select a bland-as-fuck candidate and lose again.