Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 07:34:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Get Out (Horror film by Jordan Peele)

Started by up_the_hampipe, February 26, 2017, 09:17:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Serge

Maurice Yeatman

Kuluuya was excellent - it's a long time since I've felt so sympathetic to a film's protagonist from early on. His suppressed grief after
Spoiler alert
the collision with the deer
[close]
sealed it for me (at which point I suspected the girlfriend was
Spoiler alert
a wrong 'un
[close]
).   Didn't like the explicatory flashbacks towards the end - why not have faith in the audience to work it out for themselves, maybe when they watch it again? Some focus group re-think? And why didn't they
Spoiler alert
take Chris's phone from him after he'd snapped 'Logan'
[close]
?)

Probably a little over-hyped because of white liberal guilt almost everything halfway-good always is, but still highly recommended by this nudnik.

Blinder Data

This was loads of fun. I would have liked for the third act to be longer and more eventful - some of the baddies were dispatched too easily and quickly. But the performances were great, especially Daniel Kaluuya. 

Some of the comedy bits with the TSA officer were maybe a bit much, perhaps. And I could have done without the Microsoft adverts. But it had such a light, breezy air for the whole thing - really well directed.

Saw this in Peckham - the audience were up for it, and the tickets were £4.99! Well worth it.

Brundle-Fly

Really enjoyed this tonight. Modern horror/thriller and yet pleasingly old-fashioned in the story telling. Quite comical as much as gripping. In that way it reminded me of
Spoiler alert
Society(1989)
[close]
meets
Spoiler alert
Death Becomes Her (1992)
[close]

Top performances from all and there was enough surprises to elevate this from the usual horror fayre.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Straight Faced Customer on March 19, 2017, 01:57:21 PM
What a bloody good film! 2017 is shaping up to be a corker. Also, may I add, the most recent thing since Stranger Things that cribs a little from Under the Skin.

Yes, I thought that of Stranger Things and this movie tonight too, although I'm pretty sure Under The Skin isn't the first film to
Spoiler alert
depict purgatory in this way.
[close]
Twilight Zone The Movie has a similar scene.

Hello.

This has only just been picked up for distribution in the colonies, and won't be out till Mid May.
If anyone can please send me a link to a place to watch a non camera version of this in meantime, I'd really appreciate this.

Followed by Mindhorn and Prevenge, both of which won't ever make it here.

Why can't I just see my favourite comedy people's fucking films legally?

I'll sling Jordan, Alice and Jules some cash when it comes to DVD.

Thank you.

Pepotamo1985

Saw this at the Genesis last night for four and a half pounds[nb]In yer face, Blinder Data![/nb], totally packed house with the most loudly enthusiastic and voluble audience reactions I've encountered in a cinema outside of the US, or indeed a Prince Charles action movie marathon, which added to the experience significantly positively.

I'm not sure about this though. I saw the trailer almost a year ago and was so WTFed by it I looked into the film online[nb]I originally thought it was a spoof[/nb], and even though there was little explanatory material knocking about, I predicted much of the plot pretty much exactly. I daresay there's a very strong correlation between how much someone will like it and how little someone knows before watching it, and much of that affinity will be based purely on shock factor. I found all the spelling out towards the end pretty irritating too - it had hitherto somehow managed to be subtle, suggestive and implicative underneath all its trenchant, crushing lack of messaging delicacy, and ramming everything home so flagrantly not only marred all that, but was totally unnecessary. Also, the ending reveal was a bit shite - it was an easy way of wrapping things up with some degree of tidiness, the kind of thing which falls to pieces with even a second's critical thought.

Don't get me wrong, I found it entertaining enough as a cheap watch with pals, have no regrets about watching it and would recommend it. I'd say it was another Cabin In The Woods - reasonably smart and funny but ultimately a novelty with a fairly poor close - which, given its political messaging, could've been something much more.

Repeater

What ending reveal are you referring to?

Pepotamo1985

Quote from: Repeater on March 24, 2017, 09:36:52 AM
What ending reveal are you referring to?

Spoiler alert
That they're transplanting white brains into black bodies as part of a cultish 'project'
[close]

TrenterPercenter

Just seen it.

Very good, more than simply a horror but stands up well as horror as well. It is quite masterful the Peele made it so it can be enjoyed on different levels at the same time - but then batty racism is often that, banal yet terrifying.  Thought Kaluuya was brilliant as was Williams.  Doesn't take itself too seriously whilst being utterly nasty at the same time. 

top top film that's a 4/5, over to you Jeff.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Pepotamo1985 on March 23, 2017, 12:47:26 PM
given its political messaging, could've been something much more.

I viewed it as a comedy thriller come Penny Dreadful. A satire on subliminal racism but not some overt political statement. I've compared it to other similar films on this thread but I've decided its closest cousin is the original
Spoiler alert
The Stepford Wives (1975).
[close]

Wet Blanket

Didn't think it was any kind of masterpiece but it was very droll. Liked the middle Stepford Wivesy section the best and would have liked to see more of that; there seemed to be an awful lot of screen time devoted to the set up, but then only a couple of scenes amping up the weirness of the situation before it descended into gore - and even then everything got wrapped up rather abruptly.

The script was a bit clunky here and there: "his phone must have run out of batteries"; "she's lying to me" etc.

Daniel Kaluuya is great though and I hope he becomes a Hollywood A-lister.

Three faintly satirical bags of popcorn out of five.

Just saw this, thought it was great, masterfully handled. However, it was a bit more straightforward than I was expecting for a film that seems to have been praised to the skies in the press. I guess that's the telling thing about unanimous praise, it usually means something is good but not interesting in a way that risks alienating a certain portion of people. Worth seeing though, brilliantly gripping all the way through and a real triumph of craftsmanship.

Ham Bap

Just watched this, enjoyed it though I wish I hadve went into it blind and not seen the trailer beforehand.

Maurice Yeatman

It's only just occurred to me that Chris's girlfriend had an ulterior motive in challenging the cop who asked to see his ID (aside from making him (and us) think she was 100% on his side). I am slow.

I give it an extra star for no John Legend playing piano on the lawn.

Pepotamo1985

Quote from: Maurice Yeatman on March 27, 2017, 02:00:46 AM
It's only just occurred to me that Chris's girlfriend had an ulterior motive in challenging the cop who asked to see his ID (aside from making him (and us) think she was 100% on his side).

That scene's clever though, because Chris is evidently anxious at the prospect of the cop becoming hostile with him (as many young non-white males in the US understandably are). That was my reading, anyway.

Petey Pate

Find it weird to see that over the top audience reaction[nb]at least by UK standards[/nb] to this film wasn't limited to the cinema I saw it in.  There were people applauding and cheering when
Spoiler alert
Rose got shot at the end
[close]

alan nagsworth

I'm torn with this. It raises a very important issue but it's a shit film!

I was in a suitably mixed race audience which had very strong reactions to all the "black" comedy tropes. I have no issue with this at all - BECAUSE I AM NOT A RACIST - as it obviously rings very true to the societal issue of the film which should not be overlooked. However, my issue with this, as with a great deal of the horror/suspense parts of it, was that they were just NOT GOOD. I didn't find the funny bits funny, and I didn't find the scary bits scary. I just found it tremendously dull. After watching the trailer, I was expecting a taut psychological thriller, and it didn't even remotely deliver on that front. Removed of its socio-political context, it is a very uninteresting and by-the-numbers flick.

That said, I'm more than willing to take a step back and see it as my housemate viewed it: there are so many bullshit horror films that are re-hashing pre/sequels which offer absolutely nothing and are totally undeserving of the screen time, which Get Out is entirely different from. This is a film which has rightfully earned its place on the big screen and deserves to be watched by all, including people like me who already know that racial segregation is still a big problem, and in that sense I do think it's a good film.

But by golly! is it ever dull! It's not remotely subtle! And
Spoiler alert
the plot holes in the finale where the girl somehow heard the car crash over Luther Vandross on the headphones, and THEN also didn't see the camera phone flash in the pitch blackness, for fucks sake!
[close]
. Very frustrating. I also feel like
Spoiler alert
it could have ended on a really horrible note where the police car turns up and the guy is wrongfully arrested for killing the entire family, which would have had a much deeper impact. Imagine how incensed you'd be if you walked out of that film feeling that justice had NOT been served instead of some hacky "oh it's his friend! somehow everything is probably gonna be fine now!" ending? I think that was a bit of a wasted opportunity and playing into the hands of the outsider audience who may be too distressed and just wanted a happy ending to the frankly tawdry events that had just taken place.
[close]

Overall, viewing it objectively as just a "horror/comedy" film, I thought it kinda sucked.

up_the_hampipe

Well, if you think it's shit, it's probably very good and I'm going to see it tomorrow. Cheers! *smacks knee with mic and grins*

alan nagsworth

Ten years on this godforsaken forum and I finally have a rival. I love you man.

Wet Blanket

Quote from: alan nagsworth on March 29, 2017, 01:31:10 AM
I also feel like
Spoiler alert
it could have ended on a really horrible note where the police car turns up and the guy is wrongfully arrested for killing the entire family, which would have had a much deeper impact. Imagine how incensed you'd be if you walked out of that film feeling that justice had NOT been served instead of some hacky "oh it's his friend! somehow everything is probably gonna be fine now!" ending? I think that was a bit of a wasted opportunity and playing into the hands of the outsider audience who may be too distressed and just wanted a happy ending to the frankly tawdry events that had just taken place.
[close]

I thought it was pretty good but I do agree that this would have been the better ending. The comedy best friend was the weakest element of the film overall I thought.

I saw it in a silent cinema, thank God. I hope the famous American thing of audiences whooping at the screen isn't going to become a thing over here.

Blinder Data

nags, her hearing the crash over her headphones is entirely believable. Have you never been in a situation where you think you've heard something loud in the background but not quite sure? She might have felt the car hit her grandma in the vibrations of the earth or something. Anyway, it's a seriously minor point to get annoyed about.

RE: the ending, the director was initially going to go for a less happy ending but decided against it:

Quote from: Wiki
Spoiler alert
Peele originally intended for the film to end with Chris being arrested by police for the murder of Rose and her family, and intended the scene as a reflection of the realities of racism. However, by the time production had begun, several high-profile police shootings of black people had, in his words, made the situation surrounding racism "more woke," and he decided the film needed a happy ending for its lead.
[close]

Also Wet Blanket people whooping and shrieking during a horror comedy makes the screening more fun. Lighten up, jabroni!

Petey Pate

I wouldn't be surprised if that had been the originally planned ending.  Maybe it was dropped for being too similar
Spoiler alert
to the original The Night of the Living Dead.
[close]
[/s]

How the film did end wasn't that satisfying if you thought about what was likely to happen afterwards. 
Spoiler alert
As the house presumably burned down, there would have been no evidence for Chris' story.  He and his mate could have still been nicked, at the least for leaving a wounded girl to die.
[close]

Wet Blanket

QuoteAlso Wet Blanket people whooping and shrieking during a horror comedy makes the screening more fun. Lighten up, jabroni!

No way man. Save that shit for the Prince Charles Cinema. Shrieks and laughs I can put up with, once you start with the "Don't go in there mister! That shows him!" shit show... well, that way anarchy lies.

Serge

Quote from: Petey Pate on March 29, 2017, 12:12:52 PMHow the film did end wasn't that satisfying if you thought about what was likely to happen afterwards. 
Spoiler alert
As the house presumably burned down, there would have been no evidence for Chris' story.  He and his mate could have still been nicked, at the least for leaving a wounded girl to die.
[close]

I suppose, technically, the fact that all the other missing people are living in that town and can be briefly de-activated by a camera flash might help bolster his story if it came to it.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Serge on March 29, 2017, 01:28:33 PM
I suppose, technically, the fact that all the other missing people are living in that town and can be briefly de-activated by a camera flash might help bolster his story if it came to it.

That was the biggest plothole.
Spoiler alert
Are all these newly kitted out old folk never going to leave the house for fear of seeing a camera flash (especially now you can't even go to the corner shop without seeing someone take a picture with their smartphone)? The blind geezer wanted to get back into photography FFS!
[close]

marquis_de_sad

After watching the trailer ...

This was your problem, I think.[nb]
Spoiler alert
But I agree with you on the ending
[close]
[/nb]

I also feel like
Spoiler alert
[close]
That was the ending I was expecting, which I think makes it too much of an obvious idea. It's one of the few films where
Spoiler alert
an upbeat ending is actually the more surprising route.
[close]

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Monsieur Verdoux on March 30, 2017, 12:50:01 AM
That was the ending I was expecting, which I think makes it too much of an obvious idea. It's one of the few films where
Spoiler alert
an upbeat ending is actually the more surprising route.
[close]

Completely agree.
Spoiler alert
Would have been a typical pessimistic Black Mirror ending otherwise. 99% of horror films for the past forty years rarely end on an upbeat note, particularly now. Made a pleasant surprise.
[close]

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

Went into this completely unprepped aside from seeing how well liked it was, and was stoked to be seeing such a highly regarded horror. Unfortunately, I'm going to be one of the voices of dissent as I thought it was pretty shit, with the exception of Kaluuya's remarkable performance. Unfunny and a complete failure as horror.

There are so many stupid elements, but in a film that seemed to be in-part about the commodification of aspects of black culture, to have such a stock 'wise-cracking' stereotype as his best mate seemed a strange choice to be 'rescuing' our genuinely interesting hero.

Spoiler alert
How the fuck did he contort himself to get enough chair cotton in his ears to prevent hypnosis, and then why did he remove this secret weapon, knowing that his witchy captor was likely to use her crockery based weapon again?
[close]