Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,585,325
  • Total Topics: 106,766
  • Online Today: 1,077
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 05:56:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Get Out (Horror film by Jordan Peele)

Started by up_the_hampipe, February 26, 2017, 09:17:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phantom_power

And risk their secret being revealed? I imagine they would keep their mouths shut

And fingerprints in his girlfriend's car is hardly damning. It is easy to envisage a scenario where he gets away scot free

Howj Begg

I far prefer the ending as it is too, if he was arrested by a white cop it would be far too on the nose. As it is, the police car pulling up is the scariest, most "oh shit" moment in the whole movie. Peele knew what he he was doing there. More than a strong reference to BLM/the events of 2016 would dilute the film's timelessness: it's as much about racism of the 1950s, and slave ownership of the 18th and 19th centuries as it is about 21c racism.

EDIT: Because I think the horror lies in its recasting of historical injustice as Invasion of the Body Snatchers, not in terms of social violence.

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

Quote from: phantom_power on May 15, 2017, 09:40:26 PM
And risk their secret being revealed? I imagine they would keep their mouths shut

And fingerprints in his girlfriend's car is hardly damning. It is easy to envisage a scenario where he gets away scot free

As it now stands, what secret? How would you prove magic bodyswaps, given the lab's burned down? Any counter-argument would sound even more ridiculous than matey-stereotype's sex slave suggestion.

The old white folks find that their salvation has been destroyed, and their friends/saviours killed by what they perceive to be mere chattel - they were bidding on inhabiting - they're going to want to sort it either via the police or other means.

You may think it easy to envision him getting away, I find it infinitely easier to imagine the various loose threads coming back to bite him, given the evidence and numerous witnesses with an axe to grind, and his alibi basically being magic.

phantom_power

If the house has burned down destroying the bodies and everything there, what do we have left? A black man and white woman dead in the road. They could probably work out that he shot her and assume that she shot him. Case closed, helped by the racism that the film highlights. Chris having fingerprints in his girlfriend's car is pretty normal.

Penfold

There's also the 'gran' in the car, I think. Both of the dead black people were probably registered as missing persons also.

Avril Lavigne

Quote from: Howj Begg on May 15, 2017, 09:49:28 PM
I far prefer the ending as it is too, if he was arrested by a white cop it would be far too on the nose. As it is, the police car pulling up is the scariest, most "oh shit" moment in the whole movie. Peele knew what he he was doing there.

I mentioned this in a different thread & can't recall which one but yeah, Peele said in an interview that he changed the ending because the same point is still made as soon as the audience sees the cop car and assumes the worst, after which there's no need to hit people over the head with it.  The reversal of expectations doesn't take anything away from the point being made either.

Ant Farm Keyboard

The maid still carries the scars of the surgery, and an autopsy report would reveal details about the procedure.

olliebean

I just found it a bit odd that his bezzie, who isn't a cop, turned up driving a cop car with no cops in it. Presumably there's some untold bit of story behind that.

Pseudopath

Quote from: olliebean on May 16, 2017, 08:19:28 AM
I just found it a bit odd that his bezzie, who isn't a cop, turned up driving a cop car with no cops in it. Presumably there's some untold bit of story behind that.

He does work for the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) though. I think that agency is allowed to use blues-and-twos on their vehicles.

phantom_power

Yeah it was a TSA car. The sign on the door was what gave it away that it was his friend before you see him properly

QDRPHNC

I need someone to explain this to me a bit.

So they take the brains from people... that's all I understood really. They said there was a "sliver" of the person left after the brain removal, but then how did that one guy remember everything after the flash went off. And it didn't even take that for the maid's personality to start coming through again.

I thought this film wasn't very good and not scary.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Steven

Dunno if it's been asked as I watched this earlier, how did he cram cotton into his ears (haha cotton picking!) when his arms were strapped to the chair?

zomgmouse

Quote from: Steven on June 08, 2017, 02:25:57 AM
Dunno if it's been asked as I watched this earlier, how did he cram cotton into his ears (haha cotton picking!) when his arms were strapped to the chair?
Was it just his arms or his whole body? He could probably bend down/pop his head down if the former.

Steven

Quote from: zomgmouse on June 08, 2017, 02:30:49 AM
Was it just his arms or his whole body? He could probably bend down/pop his head down if the former.

Yeah, that makes sense, fucking hell, obvious. Though the irony of the cotton picking negro and it being the saving tactic is a good one.

The bad points is he was implicating himself massively with the house burning marring evidence and killing more people, but by that point it's a just fuck this I'm getting out of here mindset I suppose.

Hangthebuggers

I enjoyed it, decent film - But over-hyped.

The first half was better than the first (and played around with a few racial issues quite well - such as the bit with the copper and the ticket and his girlfriend, later making you realise she only did that for one reason and it wasn't quite what you thought) but the second half turned a bit generic.

Good as a mainstream film but I guess I expected it to be more layered based around the way some people had hyped it.

DukeDeMondo

I finally got round to seeing this tonight, and I dunno. Maybe my expectations were too high - they certainly were very high indeed - but I came away sorely disappointed. Hugely fucking overrated, in my opinion. When it's good, which it is for a fair bit of the first half, it's often very good, but when it's bad, which it is for much of the second half, it's head in hands awful. It's actually quite dizzying to watch, the thing just falls off a cliff before your eyes sometime around the 45 minute mark.

In its defence, it doesn't feel anything like any other Blumhouse horror that I can think of. That's always something, I suppose.

Mister Six

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on May 15, 2017, 03:04:39 PM
Not at all, but if the issue at the moment is Black Lives Matter, then to set it up like he's going to be killed by police and then not doing it is a cop out. It just seemed a pointless 'ahhhhh' bit at the end. Would have been better not leading you down that path at all and just have his mate show up. Real life doesn't have many happy endings, it would be nice if films purporting to be social commentary reflected this a bit more.

Watched it in a cinema full of black Americans. Their response showed that Peele made the right choice.

The fact that we think the cop is going to arrest or kill him gets across the point just fine without that actually happening. It gets the point across just fine without turning a stressful and tense experience into a needlessly morose and depressing one.

Black Americans have to put up with the knowledge that they exist and walk free at the whims of the white majority at the backs of their heads constantly. They don't need that shit repeated in this movie.

Mister Six

Quote from: Sexton Brackets Drugbust on May 15, 2017, 09:27:08 PM
Aside from the immense crime scene leaving multiple corpses, his fingerprints will be all over the crashed vehicle he was initially driving away from the property, tying him to the crash and corpses.

Nah. They'll blame it on the black guy who shot himself. Domestic worker goes mental, kills bunch of nice white folks. Eyebrows might be raised about the doctor's surgery depending on how much of it survived the fire. But the cops probably won't bother to search further than the grounds of the house.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Mister Six on August 29, 2017, 11:45:29 PM
Watched it in a cinema full of black Americans. Their response showed that Peele made the right choice.

That only proves it was the right choice for that audience.  Obviously black people aŕe more aware of the blacklivesmatter thing and have certain expectations when it comes to the police. A large chunk of the American populace, and indeed the world,  won't have those expectations unless they know about BLM and the like. Say 'black lives matter' to my parents and they wont have a fucking clue what youre talking about. So that ending only works with people who have certain expectations, if you don't have those expectations then it doesnt work and there are more people who are asleep than woke.

Repeater

Remind me: at the end, did the house burn down? What happened to the house?

zomgmouse

Quote from: Repeater on August 30, 2017, 09:06:14 AM
Remind me: at the end, did the house burn down? What happened to the house?
He set the house on fire so I reckon it probably burned down.

Custard

All unanswered questions will be answered in Get Out, Again!!

Rewatched this the other day, now it's on home release. It's brilliant

phantom_power

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on August 30, 2017, 08:09:08 AM
That only proves it was the right choice for that audience.  Obviously black people aŕe more aware of the blacklivesmatter thing and have certain expectations when it comes to the police. A large chunk of the American populace, and indeed the world,  won't have those expectations unless they know about BLM and the like. Say 'black lives matter' to my parents and they wont have a fucking clue what youre talking about. So that ending only works with people who have certain expectations, if you don't have those expectations then it doesnt work and there are more people who are asleep than woke.

I am pretty sure most people would have expected him to be arrested and probably killed at the end. You don't have to be Woke to know that black people don't get a good deal from the US police

Avril Lavigne

Quote from: phantom_power on August 30, 2017, 09:39:49 AM
You don't have to be Woke to know that black people don't get a good deal from the US police

Especially since that was already set up at the beginning of the movie when they hit the deer and the cop asked for Chris' I.D. despite him being in the passenger seat doing nothing wrong.

Mister Six

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on August 30, 2017, 08:09:08 AM
That only proves it was the right choice for that audience.  Obviously black people aŕe more aware of the blacklivesmatter thing and have certain expectations when it comes to the police. A large chunk of the American populace, and indeed the world,  won't have those expectations unless they know about BLM and the like.

Can't speak for the rest of the world, but as someone who works in a newsroom in New York, I can assure you that most of the USA is aware of BLM and complaints by black people of police mistreatment/outright murder - whether that's via Fox News's "BLM are terrorists who want our cops dead!" nonsense or the more measured responses by the NYT et al.

Last year there were a string of high-profile killings of black people, many unarmed by white (or Latino or Asian) cops, and all of those stories made the national news. There were also marches and protests in major cities from coast to coast. Here are some names to look up, if you're interested: Alton Sterling, Philando Castile (those two within a day of each other), Keith Lamont Scott, Terence Crutcher... the shooting of several cops in Dallas by a black crazy dude came as a response to that. There was a period of about two months where this shit was happening twice a week. America seemed to be having a nervous breakdown. 

Christ, look at this story from yesterday: A white Georgia cop told a frightened white woman that he pulled over, 'We only kill black people.'

This year it's transmogrified into protests and killings over the removal of Confederate statues (and those of colonial types and slaveholding founders like Columbus and Richard Stockton) but even those protests have people chanting 'Black Lives Matter' and singing about cops abusing black people.

And even for those who don't watch the news - not even Fox - there's been ongoing controversy about NFL player Colin Kaepernick, who last year refused to stand for the national anthem at every game he played in protest at blue-on-black violence and is now struggling to find work. Loads of other (mostly black) players joined in too.

QuoteSay 'black lives matter' to my parents and they wont have a fucking clue what youre talking about. So that ending only works with people who have certain expectations, if you don't have those expectations then it doesnt work and there are more people who are asleep than woke.

Firstly, I'm going to hazard a guess that your parents aren't the target audience for Get Out. But regardless they would surely have understood the significance of the cop car turning up because it's given context towards the start of the movie, when the cop pulls Chris over and Chris's girlfriend explicitly complains about police racism, and how she's treated better because she's white.

Like, that whole ending sequence is shot to make you expect the racist white cop until you see the TSA logo on the door. It's a pretty standard bait-and-switch.

And even if they had been that oblivious and the film went with the ending you suggest, with Chris arrested or shot - would the police racism element have been any better expressed then? Would your parents not think it was, at most, a single racist cop? And at the very least an unfortunate but understandable misunderstanding?

BeardFaceMan

Oops, buggered up the quote there but cant fix it as my tablet is a piece of shit. See below.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Mister Six on September 01, 2017, 05:37:44 PM
Like, that whole ending sequence is shot to make you expect the racist white cop until you see the TSA logo on the door. It's a pretty standard bait-and-switch.

And even if they had been that oblivious and the film went with the ending you suggest, with Chris arrested or shot - would the police racism element have been any better expressed then? Would your parents not think it was, at most, a single racist cop? And at the very least an unfortunate but understandable misunderstanding?

That's my main problem with it really, everyone hailing it as this amazing film while everything about it, especially the ending, is pretty standard.

And if its a film that has a message, but the only people who will get that message are people who are already aware of the message, then why bother? It just renders the whole thing a pointless echo chamber exercise.

And if my parents did think that after watching, and the message was 'this is the treatment young black Americans are experiencing' then that would be the result of bad storytelling.

Mister Six

I didn't say everything is standard. Certainly I haven't seen these themes or ideas discussed in a horror movie before. Also it's fantastically well paced, tense as fuck, has a memorable conceit and despite that thin glimmer of humour at the end, is a pretty downbeat closer (all those victims trapped in their bodies with no-one to save them... and Chris will never trust anyone again).

And if your parents can't get the racial subtext in a film that repeatedly brings up Chris's race and how it leaves him at a disadvantage throughout then that's a problem with them, not the movie.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Mister Six on September 01, 2017, 06:05:42 PM
I didn't say everything is standard. Certainly I haven't seen these themes or ideas discussed in a horror movie before. Also it's fantastically well paced, tense as fuck, has a memorable conceit and despite that thin glimmer of humour at the end, is a pretty downbeat closer (all those victims trapped in their bodies with no-one to save them... and Chris will never trust anyone again).

I didn't say you did, I said it because you mentioned that the ending was standard. I agreed with you and went on further to say I thought the whole film was standard.

QuoteAnd if your parents can't get the racial subtext in a film that repeatedly brings up Chris's race and how it leaves him at a disadvantage throughout then that's a problem with them being thick as fuck, not the movie.

Charming personality you have there. I didn't even say my parents wouldn't get it, you did (" Would your parents not think it was, at most, a single racist cop? And at the very least an unfortunate but understandable misunderstanding?"). So you are saying that people not aware of US police racism won't get this film and are therefore thick as fuck?