Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 02:07:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Phone games that don't suck

Started by Dex Sawash, February 26, 2017, 09:42:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dex Sawash

Are any phone games good now?

I played Go[nb]pokemon go for you oldsters[/nb] for about 2 hours total. I played lazarou's airplane shooter one from the old thread for a few weeks. There was one that was like dusty gonzagas avatar that was ok.

Bhazor

That one where you send pictures of your balls to random phone numbers and then try to find a plausable excuse.

Uncle TechTip

I like 8 Ball Pool by Miniclip. You're playing humans and it tracks your progress as you build up coins by winning games at various levels. The game is surprisingly playable, has guidelines to help you and it's very easy to get good.

garbed_attic

Downwell, certainly, if you haven't played it already.

HappyTree

My favourite is WELDER.

http://weldergame.com/

I like messing about in other, flashier games, but this is the one that magically eats up time on a boring bus journey. I've never been very good at anagrams or word-forming from jumbled letters but this game rewards you for just plugging away with 4-letter combos. I like trying to budge the broken and hot tiles and seeing if I can use the bonus multipliers.

It's addicting!

Blue Jam

Nitrome do some nice ones:

http://www.nitrome.com/mobile/

Beneath The Lighthouse is a sweet little physics puzzler, as is Icebreaker: A Viking Voyage. Silly Sausage In Meat Land is fun and has a sausage dog in it. I haven't tried the follow-up, Silly Sausage: Doggy Dessert and I suppose I really should. You can try them most of them for free but it's worth paying to remove the ads and they deserve a few pennies for their work on some really nice games.

I also like some of the ones by Sirnic. If you liked 4096, Atomas and Bad Banker are like nerdier and more complex versions with pretty colours and nice sound effects.

Thursday

Eight Taiwanese Teenagers

Thursday

Yeah 80 days is a wonderful thing, and they've added even more since that thread.

Spoiler alert
The last time I played it, I managed to do the "Moon" story that they added, and even though I'd happily play it again, it felt like such a perfect way to end
[close]

Malcy

Crossy Road. Addictive as fuck. Got a high score of 398. Was so pissed off it wasn't 400! It's basically Frogger but you can play as Flat Eric...

Replies From View

Malcy

Quote from: Replies From View on March 02, 2017, 05:23:12 PM
Flat Stanley would be better.
The amount of times Flat Eric has been erm...flattened by cars etc i should rename him Stanley and send him in an envelope to Mr.Oizo.

I've never had much interest in them but I've been enjoying Alto's Adventure recently. You're just this little man snowboarding down a mountain doing tricks and aiming to do specific jumps/tasks to level up. Although simple the graphics are luscious and there's something very aesthetically pleasing about the whole thing.

Just got one called The End of the World which is apparently very good but I've yet to play properly

Replies From View

Hill Climb 2 is the one I'm wasting most time with at the moment.

The others I'd recommend at the moment are (in no particular order):

- Temple Run 2
- Monkey Island and Monkey Island 2
- World of Goo
- Granny Smith
- Limbo
- Sonic the Hedgehog 1, 2 and CD
- Cut the Rope (various versions)

I've downloaded other games when they were free that I haven't got around to playing yet.  I'll update when I've done that.

Viero_Berlotti

Hearthstone is pretty good and free to play (with in game purchases). I've been playing for a few months now and you can still compete and have fun without spending any money on card packs.

HappyTree

I had to laugh at some gaming website's comment about the mobile phone "meta game" of seeing how long you can play a free game and enjoy it before you realise you have to pay for a micro transaction. Then of course you delete it.

Sometimes you'll fine one that is fine without spending any money. Flippy Bottle Extreme is one. I don't think it makes any difference which bottle skin you use, so once you've watched a few videos to get some points and get a few different colours that's all you need, really. A good "on the throne" game.

Replies From View

Why not just take a bottle of water to the toilet with you?

Shay Chaise

I got Voez on the Switch, but it's free on Android and iTunes. It's a rhythm game, tap the falling notes, etc. but it's a joy. Visually uncluttered, almost pretty and good range of tunes. I think you have to pay for extra songs but it's got a reasonable free selection on mobile.

Replies From View

Quote from: Replies From View on March 19, 2017, 05:44:26 PM
Why not just take a bottle of water to the toilet with you?

I'm offering this as advice more generally, by the way.  Take a bottle of water into the bog with you.  It's good.

Barry Admin

Anyone play QuizUp these days? I'm just getting back into it, on there as cookdandbombd if you want to challenge me.

Seems like there's a fair few ads these days, but I'll be buying the premium version for 3 quid as I loved this back in the day.

Barry Admin

Thanks for the challenges so far, great isn't it? I'm definitely going to give them three quid, it's an ingenious and fun game, glad to be able to play it again.

Barry Admin

That was intense! I finally caved and bought Gears 4 before the offer ended, then ended up sitting getting thrashed by mjjw all night. Some lovely close games, with me turning off CNN and him turning off his podcasts so we could FOCUS HARD.

I love how it rushes you as you get more points the quicker you respond, leads to some real "gah fuck offffff" moments.

I bow to your superior Britney knowledge, sir.

MjjW

We need to brush up on our famous Bollywood phrases.

bushwick

Table Tennis Touch is really good. I got it for 10p in an Android sale a few weeks ago but think it's usually a couple of quid. Best touchscreen interface I've used in a phone game, lots of variety, good learning curve, good multiplayer.

Blue Jam

Quote from: swordfish_bhoona on March 19, 2017, 06:28:53 AM
I've never had much interest in them but I've been enjoying Alto's Adventure recently. You're just this little man snowboarding down a mountain doing tricks and aiming to do specific jumps/tasks to level up. Although simple the graphics are luscious and there's something very aesthetically pleasing about the whole thing.

I enjoyed that one for a while, but deleted it because I was rubbish at it. Shame- it has a lovely nordic feel to it and it's surprisingly relaxing, like the polar opposite of Flappy Bird.

I clean forgot to mention Monument Valley, a clever little puzzle game in which you guide Ida, "the silent princess", through a series of mind-bendingly MC Escher-esque buildings. It's over a bit too soon but it's very zen and just beautiful to look at:

Kolba

The Sorcery games are crackers. An official digital version of the Choose Your Own Adventure books, done very well.

And my favourite gamey game on mobile is Ridiculous Fishing.

kittens

i started playing void pyramid and it seems pretty cool. set in a future ancient egyptian spaceship and you like level up the guy and stuff. dunno only played for 45 mins but seems pretty wick

Brundle-Fly

For platformer fans of Badland 1 & 2, the new Mushroom 11 is quality.

Steven

Quote from: Blue Jam on March 23, 2017, 10:12:41 PM
I clean forgot to mention Monument Valley, a clever little puzzle game in which you guide Ida, "the silent princess", through a series of mind-bendingly MC Escher-esque buildings. It's over a bit too soon but it's very zen and just beautiful to look at:

Similarly I completed Mekorama the other week which is another isometric puzzler, only 50 levels though a couple of them are fiendishly difficult to work out the solution, you basically have to maneouvre the robot to the end square. Though with the paid version there's a level builder and you can share levels with a QR code.