Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 03:48:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Phone games that don't suck

Started by Dex Sawash, February 26, 2017, 09:42:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sgt. Duckie

Quote from: Eight Taiwanese Teenagers on February 28, 2017, 06:35:05 AM
Best mobile game ever for me is 80 Days.

Dedicated thread: http://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=45025.0

Installed this a week ago and I'm in love. I honestly feel like I'm going around the world with the beautiful and unpredictable pairing of Passeporte and Fogg. Have had 3 spins and it's getting better. Cheers for the heads up on it.

hewantstolurkatad

Drop7 is easily the best puzzler since Lumines on the PSP (only on PSP, it's really crafted around that machine and I haven't liked it as much on anything else), if not Tetris. It only came to my attention from Edge giving it a retroactive 10/10

The Simogo games all look good but are prolly a bit overpriced for what they contain. Don't have an iPhone so I've only played Year Walk, which is a gorgeous game with some really tedious gameplay

maett

I quite enjoyed Clash Royale until they updated it and all the cards I'd been upgrading became weak and the ones I'd donated became strong.
It's popular with teen boys out here in Korea  and I only started playing in a pitiful attempt to have something to talk about to a couple of students, but found it quite addictive and soon surpassed their levels as they had to study and do homework but I could waste 4 hours a day playing it.

holyzombiejesus

I really like the Cube Escape games. Best escape games I've found, anyway.

Jittlebags

All the Quell games are superb, as is Swaperoo which I'm still playing in Endless Mode, two months after finishing the levels.

http://www.fallentreegames.com/games/

Barry Admin

I find I can't stick to most phone games, and don't bother a lot. However, I just found a sweet XCOM clone! Warhammer 4K: Deathwatch Tyranid Invasion, 2 quid in the App Store.

It gets stellar reviews and seems really good so far. I'm still going through the prologue/tutorial but can see that it does get deep and strategic. As I say, it's basically XCOM on yer phone, and even has mechanics like overwatch. If you like turn-based strategy games, I'd say it's absolutely worth supporting.

Ignatius_S

Deathwatch is very similar to a couple of games (Hunters 1 & 2) that the developers did (IIRC, Julian Gallop was a fan) and they are worth a look.

Warhammer Quest is also worth checking out – by the same team and a similar sort of game but in a fantasy skin. There was a slightly different pricing model as there was paid-for DLC – more missions/dungeons, characters and weapons (think that was it). All together, they were quite pricey and individually, they had varying value for money. With Deathwatch, they dropped the DLC in favour of the in-app purchases for loot, which I think worked better as a model. The game's also been ported to PC and about to be to consoles but think it would be best on a mobile device.

Another game I would recommened is Space Marshalls 2 (the first one is also meant to be good, but I haven't played it and from what I've read, the second had some neat improvements). It's real-time, rather than turn-based and you control a single person but it's a very neat strategic, stealth game offering various different approaches to how you play – for example, there's various types of equipment, supporting different playstyles – and it people like strategic shooters, it's certainly worth a look.

Barry Admin

Thanks. Hehe I knew you'd reply, and it's funny as I found that game (and found out about the studio) after finally finishing reading that article you posted about free to play shit.

It does seem really good, but I have a small phone screen so it's winding me up a bit. And I keep moving when I mean to aim in overwatch (partly because of the small screen fiddliness), but I'll get past that.

bushwick

Completely addicted to agar.io . Online only, pretty much perfect game mechanics, so much subtle strategy to it. Go round a grid eating pellets, get bigger, eat smaller players, try not to get eaten by bigger players. The bigger you are the slower you go. Eject mass or split to go faster. Watch out for viruses, you can hide in them when small but they burst you into tiny pieces when you're big, fire mass into them and they fire out another virus in the same direction, hopefully smashing another player to bits so you can eat their mass. Good on mobile and browser - free with some ads but one in-app purchase gets rid of them. Will wreck your fuckin life mate.

falafel

I am on holiday at the moment and scoured the net for what I thought were the best bets. I've got this mix on my phone right now alongside a Bluetooth controller and it's working out well:

Broken Sword 1, 2 and 5
Sonic CD
Limbo
Mario Run
Never Alone
Planescape: Torment
Little Big Adventure
Tomb Raider 2
Brothers
Gemini Rue
Valiant Hearts
Lost Echo
Framed
GTA Vice City
GTA San Andreas
Fire Emblem Heroes
XCOM
Door Kickers
Banner Saga
Frozen Synapse
Sage Solitaire
Mini Metro
World of Goo
Slither.io
RealMYST
First Strike
Spacechem
ScummVM
MegaN64
DraStic
PPSSPP
Carcassonne
Twilight Struggle
Catania
Pandemic
Civilization Revolution 2
Plague Inc
Rebuild 3
Colin McRae rally
Carmageddon
Ridiculous Fishing
Downwell
Super Hexagon
Zen Pinball
Alto's Adventure
Aaaaaaa!
Robot Unicorn Attack 2
Beat Hazard
80 Days
Sorcery 3.

I think that about covers it.

In my fucking pocket.

Phone games aren't so bad.

Edit: I would flesh the list out with commentary but... Holiday. There isn't a bad game among them though (maybe Carmageddon is a but crap but I play it for nostalgia). Google is your friend. A lot of these came from Android Humble Bundles over the years.

Cuellar

Quote from: falafel on April 24, 2017, 11:41:29 AM

Civilization Revolution 2

I really wish you could get the classic Civ2 on yer phone. Graphically it was so basic it MUST be possible.

Replies From View

You can get paid-for versions of the Broken Sword games called simply "Sword".

Sebastian Cobb

Might be a bit small on a phone but I've been playing Grim Fandango on my tablet.

MojoJojo

Quote from: Cuellar on April 25, 2017, 03:05:33 PM
I really wish you could get the classic Civ2 on yer phone. Graphically it was so basic it MUST be possible.

FreeCiv's on Android. Think it's pretty close to Civ2, although it has loads of options. Also the interface doesn't work great on a phone.

JoeyBananaduck

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on April 26, 2017, 04:04:01 PM
Might be a bit small on a phone but I've been playing Grim Fandango on my tablet.

I bloody love that game. Although as a teen that one of the first puzzles with the birds and the balloons took me a rotten ice age to figure out.

Dex Sawash

CaB has picked up a bit with regs reopening so I don't need to fill time with a phone game now.
Thanks anyway you great bunch of phone-poking losers.

kittens

lara croft go, just got it on sale 79p so wicked wicked game fun please for you

Steven

BAIKOH - Tetris mixed with Scrabble basically, spell out as many words possible before the tiles reach the top of the screen.

Find A Way - A great simple game where you just join up the dots, it's highly addictive.

Bluk - Another highly addictive one where you just make a block jump between pillars, it's also incredibly frustrating.

Replies From View

Dangerous Dave in the Haunted Mansion Go