Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:26:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Chase

Started by Head Gardener, March 28, 2017, 06:15:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Small Man Big Horse

That's great news and I hope you do well, and I can't wait to see the episode when it airs.

And I will give you a shiney two pound coin if you somehow slip in a CaB reference during the show. And a fiver if you flash your tits.

Head Gardener

cheers guys, your challenges are accepted!

yesitsme

Remember my golden rules and good luck!

Hey HG,
Don't post much these days but had to report that you inspired me to have a go.
Got my call on Thurs night and audition in early June!

I'm no quizzer but I love the show - just in it for larks really.
Even just doing the audition will be a hoot. What made it really hard by the way?

Anyway, thank you very much! And to yesitsme for the tips of course.

Eight Taiwanese Teenagers

Let us know how it goes. I've got a half completed application hanging around somewhere.

I just hate all the questions on the application form. Can't they ask trivia questions instead?

Head Gardener

good luck GF, who knows we may even get on the same team as I'm still awaiting my call to go down to Elstree.
I found the audition really hard because I was forced to be charming/interesting AND intelligent in such a controlled environment
I felt pressured rather than relaxed - I know I'd feel more chilled in front of cameras on the show as it's a case of concentration
on the questions rather than a charm offensive. Make sure you have an interesting story to tell the audition panel, and a plan to do
something other than a nice holiday with the other half should you win it, I want solar panels for my radio station for example - how interesting is that?!
Oh and a special skill is handy *plot spoiler alert* mine is a trim-phone impersonation, they fuckin' loved it, haha!

Hmm, will have to ponder the special skill thing!
Ok - so a grilling by panel, did you play a run-through of the game?
If so, how did you do?

slapasoldier

Quote from: Head Gardener on April 19, 2017, 03:48:09 PM
Just back from the audition which was really hard, but... I got through yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!I don't know when the filming is but it's before the end of the year I guess, and it's done down at Elstree Studios.
They also told me not to tell anyone on the internet about it so I've fucked that up already, but fingers x for the show!

So when you win 100k then one of their researchers finds this post and they use it as an excuse not to pay out because you've broken their contract...

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Head Gardener on May 14, 2017, 09:28:20 AM
a trim-phone impersonation

That's the second time you've said that without elaboration. Do you expect people to know what the fuck that is without explaining what it is? I googled trim phone and now I vaguely know what that is. Can you fill in the blanks lad or what? Put me out of my misery.

Oh and good luck by the way.

Head Gardener

Go to YouTube type in world's best trim-phone impersonator and ye will find me

Head Gardener

Quote from: slapasoldier on May 14, 2017, 11:50:11 AMa
So when you win 100k then one of their researchers finds this post and they use it as an excuse not to pay out because you've broken their contract...
. Good point but it's more social media i think

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: Head Gardener on May 14, 2017, 12:40:21 PM
Go to YouTube type in world's best trim-phone impersonator and ye will find me

Hah!

My best friend in first year of secondary school (we fell out halfway through the second year) could do that too - he used only his lower lip but the technique was basically the same.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: checkoutgirl on May 14, 2017, 12:25:27 PMThat's the second time you've said that without elaboration. Do you expect people to know what the fuck that is without explaining what it is?

Yes, yes he does.  Those of us of a certain age know instantly. :-)

Quote from: checkoutgirl on May 14, 2017, 12:25:27 PMI googled trim phone and now I vaguely know what that is. Can you fill in the blanks lad or what? Put me out of my misery.

Serves you right for being so damned young. :-p

Back in the day (pre-early-80s) you couldn't buy your own phones and fit them.  You had to rent them from the GPO (General Post Office, when they still did telephones as well as post), later BT, and the cost appeared on your quarterly phone bill.  There were only a limited number of models available.

The trimphone was their new "futuristic" model, and you paid quite a bit extra for it.  It was the first phone in the UK to have an electronic ringer - until then phones had just the traditional pair of bells rattled with a electrically-driven clapper.  As such the sound was a new and novel thing for British ears to hear, and being able to impersonate one was quite the thing, back in the day.

Further reading:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trimphone
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GPO_telephones

From the former link, I never knew this:

QuoteThe name is an acronym standing for Tone Ring Illuminator Model, referring to the then innovative electronic ringer ("warbling", as opposed to the traditional bell)

although that sounds like a backronym to me, I just assumed the name came from the small size of the phone (which was actually a total pain if you used one as they slid around the table with ease), but I did know this...

QuoteThe luminous dial or betalight contained the mildly radioactive element tritium, which later caused some concern about safety. At one point during the 1990s the United Kingdom Atomic Energy Authority at Harwell was fined £5,000 by Wantage Magistrates Court for accumulating radioactive waste, having collected several thousand Trimphone luminous dials in a skip.

And no, we didn't have one.  The posh family across the road had one though; they also had a swimming pool, which kinda gives you an idea of the market it was aimed at.

Serge

Absolutely terrific celebrity edition this evening. I won't give away anything in case anyone wants to watch it, but I think I might be in love with Lucy Porter.

EDIT: My feelings for Lucy Porter are not included within the show.

Head Gardener

just to bring you up to date with my application,
audition = passed
heard back from them yet = no

Glebe

Good luck, HD. Hopefully you get on and get a knowingly-rude Fanny Chmelar question that makes Bradley pretend to laugh for ten minutes.

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: Serge on August 20, 2017, 08:22:07 PM
Absolutely terrific celebrity edition this evening. I won't give away anything in case anyone wants to watch it, but I think I might be in love with Lucy Porter.

Did she get a question about Can right?

Bazooka

Quote from: Head Gardener on August 20, 2017, 09:47:15 PM
just to bring you up to date with my application,
audition = passed
heard back from them yet = no

Good stuff, you and the other contestants need to dupe them into thinking you are celebrities, the questions are always easier.

Head Gardener

I'm a minor celeb in Milton Keynes! well I was, I live in Northampton now but they couldn't give a fuck about me....

Serge

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on August 20, 2017, 10:47:37 PM
Did she get a question about Can right?

No, though Jay Rayner turned out to be a Miles Davis fan.

EDIT: Oh, and Steve Davis was on, who is a CAN fan.

Head Gardener

this news just in...

Hello,

Not to worry we have checked our database and you're still in consideration! If anything were to change regarding your application
we would let you know immediately. I hope you and your family had a great christmas and new year.

All the best,
The Chase Auditions Team

Head Gardener

The Chase folk have just been in touch to say they start filming series 12 in June and that "they will be in touch"
I've heard that before...

Malcy

Quote from: Head Gardener on March 30, 2018, 12:27:35 PM

The Chase folk have just been in touch to say they start filming series 12 in June and that "they will be in touch"
I've heard that before...

Bit vague really. Thought of applying myself. Do they cover your travel costs to the interview?

There was an incredible episode, last Friday I think, where they were going for £45k or so, and a lady buzzed in on the final chase and wasted a good 5 or so seconds before passing on a fairly easy question.

Chaser caught them with just a few seconds to go.

If I was on that team I might have murdered that lady.

Malcy

Quote from: Emotional Support Peacock on March 30, 2018, 12:54:09 PM
There was an incredible episode, last Friday I think, where they were going for £45k or so, and a lady buzzed in on the final chase and wasted a good 5 or so seconds before passing on a fairly easy question.

Chaser caught them with just a few seconds to go.

If I was on that team I might have murdered that lady.

You have to wonder what is going on with some of the contestants. They press the buzzer during the final chase and hesitate as if waiting for Bradders to say 'Yes, my love, what do you think the answer is'? Just press the buzzer, answer quickly, then move the fuck on or just shut up. Same with the one's who pass instantly without letting someone else have a try. And don't get me started on the ones when given a question like 'Which country of the UK...' and then say 'PASS'. FUCKING 'PASS'. They have a 25% chance of getting it right but just go 'fuck it, nah, can't even be arsed attempting it'.

Maybe I shouldn't apply. I think I would murder a contestant who started any of that shit. Then probably start on Bradley for withholding Doctor Who spoilers.

Head Gardener

Quote from: Malcy on March 30, 2018, 12:53:45 PM
Bit vague really. Thought of applying myself. Do they cover your travel costs to the interview?

that was in Cambridge last summer, they gave me coffee & biscuits and err that's it

Malcy

Quote from: Head Gardener on March 30, 2018, 02:14:26 PM
that was in Cambridge last summer, they gave me coffee & biscuits and err that's it

Ouch. That's a bit shit if it costs a fortune to get there in travel/overnight stays etc. And if they take that long to say you're still considered then i defo won't bother!

Head Gardener

Quote from: Malcy on March 30, 2018, 02:45:33 PM
Ouch. That's a bit shit if it costs a fortune to get there in travel/overnight stays etc. And if they take that long to say you're still considered then i defo won't bother!

well I made sure the petrol paid itself by charity shop digging in Cambridge and did ok, am happy to wait n all but it's nearly a year now, hmmmmm

Head Gardener

saw an email from The Chase in my mailbox, turned out to be a privacy setting update...
I passed the audition a YEAR ago!

Small Man Big Horse

Does that mean you've missed your chance to go on it? Or are you able to contact them again and let them know you're available?