Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,578,492
  • Total Topics: 106,671
  • Online Today: 1,086
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 05:22:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Least Evocative Band Names

Started by checkoutgirl, March 29, 2017, 01:06:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

checkoutgirl

I love local pub band names. Sometimes not even a band, just a bloke with a mic and a backing track. The names of the acts are so down to earth and completely lacking in any aspiration, description or depth. So you'll get the standard sign saying LIVE MUSIC TONITE and then a space to put the name into.

For instance
LIVE MUSIC TONITE

Paddy

LIVE MUSIC TONITE

Just Bernie

But my favourite name is L+N. I mean L+N. What the fuck is that supposed to mean? I know it's probably two blokes called Larry and Noel but even Larry and Noel would be a better name. Or Leanne and Norbert. Or Limabean and Niger. Or even Lovebomb and Nugget. Anything other than L+N basically.

Serge

wosl

SteveDave

Brundle-Fly

Top 5 too 'on the nose' band names:

The Music
Love
The Beat
Big Fun

...but the winners?

The Soundtrack Of Our Lives, of course.

wosl

Pram
Tram
The Light
The Sound
The The
Any band name containing the word 'Stereo'

Dr Syntax Head

The Strokes. It says nothing to me whatsoever[nb]that isn't wanking[/nb]

wosl

The more you consider it, the more it occurs to you that the correct answer might be: all.  All the band names.

Dr Syntax Head

Quote from: wosl on March 29, 2017, 06:21:26 PM
The more you consider it, the more it occurs to you that the correct answer might be: all.  All the band names.

You really are on to something.

Zero 7. What kind of name is that?
Air.
!!![nb]Mrs Syntax number one once had a proper go at me for listening to them, she said I only listen to them to think i'm cool. That's why she is Syntax no more[/nb]

purlieu

phantom_power

Devoid of context, The Beatles is a shit name

Crabwalk

Quote from: wosl on March 29, 2017, 05:51:27 PM
Any band name containing the word 'Stereo'

Except for Stereolab. A very evocative band name.

I'm going to nominate Fridge. Gorgeous, atmospheric music. Britpop also-ran band name.

Quote from: phantom_power on March 29, 2017, 09:29:50 PM
Devoid of context, The Beatles is a shit name

It is evocative of a beat combo from the 60s though.

purlieu

Squink

You could pretty much open the indie also rans thread at any page and find some of these.

The Ordinary Boys
The Dylans
The High
Bennet
Milk
Dumpy's Rusty Nuts
Bette Midler

Crabwalk

Quote from: purlieu on March 29, 2017, 09:57:24 PM
Coldplay
Travis

Coldplay's not that bad a name. It's a better name than Coldcut, which is evocative of ham. I suspect Coldplay would go unremarked upon if attached to a more interesting band.

It is hard to detach the name from the act though. If Muse were called The Smiths (and vice versa) we'd probably be lauding the former name and dissing the latter. Probably.

The original Sugababes line-up Mutya, Keisha and Siobhan reformed as Mutya Keisha Siobhan.Album unreleased after "debut" single, the aptly named Flatline, peaked at number 50.

Crabwalk

Quote from: thecuriousorange on March 29, 2017, 10:51:22 PM
The original Sugababes line-up Mutya, Keisha and Siobhan reformed as Mutya Keisha Siobhan

That's as evocative as it gets. I can literally picture the band in my head just from the name.

DrGreggles

Crabwalk

Maurice Yeatman

Quote from: Crabwalk on March 29, 2017, 10:45:50 PM
Coldplay's not that bad a name. It's a better name than Coldcut, which is evocative of ham.

What? Ham is the absolute essence of balls-out rock 'n' roll.

Rocket Surgery

Quote from: wosl on March 29, 2017, 06:21:26 PM
The more you consider it, the more it occurs to you that the correct answer might be: all. 

Wolfgang Voigt leaves thread in a sulk.

Rocket Surgery

Last ATP I went to, Curfew were supposed to be headlining every night but I don't think they turned up even once. Lazy bastards.

NoSleep

turnstyle

Train.

I mean, come on.

Also had the double bonus of at one point owning trainline.com as their URL, which was really annoying when you were just looking up the times from Kings Cross to Stevenage and accidentally put in .com instead of .co.uk, and found yourself swimming in a sea of bland, MOR rock sludge. However, they've since changed it, so I guess those rail bigwigs got to them.

Equally lazy is Live. Throwing Copper? More like throwing shite, you shits.

Brundle-Fly

Arnold is worse than Alfie but perhaps Cecil is.

I would nominate Shrug but their name is perfect for this odd little band. Same goes for Buggersod.

Uncle TechTip

No band with one syllable has even had a top ten record.