Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 05:31:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Least Evocative Band Names

Started by checkoutgirl, March 29, 2017, 01:06:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Uncle TechTip on March 30, 2017, 10:35:56 AM
No band with one syllable has even had a top ten record.

Blur
Queen
Black

chand

Quote from: turnstyle on March 30, 2017, 09:14:59 AM
Train.

Yeah, they were my first thought too. So hard to imagine ever being moved by a band called frickin' Train. It's like something a child would call their band, on the basis that they like trains. There's a fine line between having an impenetrably enigmatic band name which allows the music to speak for itself, and just plucking a word out of thin air which makes you sound the most unimaginative meat-and-potatoes shite on earth.

Cabbage were mentioned in the indie bands thread, I've never heard them but they make Salad sound comparatively exciting.

No doubt there's some kind of fascinating story behind it, but Clogs is a bad name for a good band. According to Wiki they're mates with slightly more borderline fellow good-but-boringly-named outfits The Books and Rachel's. Actually quite like the latter's name somehow, it feels like a shortened form of a more interesting name.

Serge

Golden E. Pump

Dr Syntax Head will kill me but !!! is a terribly gimmicky band name. I know his response will be that Prince changed his to O)+> but that was intentionally unpronounceable so as to act as a publicity stunt. !!! do not even have the self-conviction to have an unpronounceable band name as it's been confirmed by the band themselves that it should be pronounced 'chk chk chk'.

Good band though. Don't hurt me Dr.

SteveDave

2 modern acts

Sweat

Dave

I weep for the future...

Dr Syntax Head

Quote from: Golden E. Pump on March 30, 2017, 11:21:16 AM
Dr Syntax Head will kill me but !!! is a terribly gimmicky band name. I know his response will be that Prince changed his to O)+> but that was intentionally unpronounceable so as to act as a publicity stunt. !!! do not even have the self-conviction to have an unpronounceable band name as it's been confirmed by the band themselves that it should be pronounced 'chk chk chk'.

Good band though. Don't hurt me Dr.

Quote!!!

Upthread browser. I agree completely

SteveDave

I found out yesterday that "La" (Liverpool) is short for "Lad". So the La's are the Lad's. Apostrophe.

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: SteveDave on March 30, 2017, 02:35:07 PM
I found out yesterday that "La" (Liverpool) is short for "Lad". So the La's are the Lad's. Apostrophe.

Surely the apostrophe is fine there, as it's just standing in for the d?

There is/was a pub band around Greater Manchester called Three Fat Bastards.

checkoutgirl

Live Music This Sat Night

Flashbax

Obviously an oldies tribute act. But what type of oldies? 70s? 80s? The x is reminiscent of Generation X which is a 90s thing but would this act have thought that deeply about it? Maybe they just pick songs they like from different eras. Unless we go to The Millmount House in Drumcondra this Saturday night I suppose we'll never know.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: checkoutgirl on March 29, 2017, 01:06:06 PM
But my favourite name is L+N.

It turns out I was wrong about this, the name was actually N+M, which I think might actually be worse.

jobotic

There's a pub band round here called The Great Mates

SteveDave

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on March 30, 2017, 03:59:08 PM
Surely the apostrophe is fine there, as it's just standing in for the d?

My mind is blown. Moreso.

alan nagsworth

"Yeah" is a pretty unevocative word, perhaps used to ironic effect in most cases but it just leaves me completely uninterested.

Yeah Yeah Yeahs
Clap Your Hands Say Yeah

Both excellent bands (or at least in their early years they were) but the names are fucking shite. CYHSY have one of the most wonderful indie debut albums of their time but the name, and the fact that it's a self-titled album, might have left a lot of people immediately cold and not arsed.

YYYs have made music that's exciting enough to warrant the reaction "yeah... yeah! YEAH!" but the name itself completely undermines anything that follows, at face value. It's just shite. Imagine someone bigging up Fever To Tell and saying 'have you heard this band Yeah Yeah Yeahs?' I just wouldn't want owt to do with that band at all if I were to judge it on its name at all.

Post-ironically, the band Does It Offend You, Yeah? turned me off instantly before I'd heard their music, which is also extremely unevocative of fucking anything.

I'm drunk, this post probably doesn't mean anything. YEAH?

the hum

Quote from: thecuriousorange on March 30, 2017, 02:26:34 PM
Cast.

What a terrible name.

Also the name of a much longer lived and more prolific Mexican prog band. Perhaps it sounds more exotic from a Latin American perspective (though probably not). I know which of the two's output I prefer anyway.

non capisco

There's the quite-good Brooklyn band The Men. I really like their album 'Leave Home' but come on, The Men, for fuck's sake. It's like they left the choice of band name up to a two year old nephew.

hard rocx and mettals

Quote from: checkoutgirl on April 13, 2017, 08:59:41 AM
It turns out I was wrong about this, the name was actually N+M, which I think might actually be worse.

Are they a two-man Eminem tribute?

Phil_A

Quote from: jobotic on April 13, 2017, 09:25:11 AM
There's a pub band round here called The Great Mates

I like that, I imagine them being some kind of Smashy and Nicey tribute act that just do covers of You Ain't Seen Nothin' Yet.

Glebe

It was all one-word band names in the '90s, weren't it? And I have one word for some of dem bands: shit.

greenman

Quote from: Dr Syntax Head on March 29, 2017, 03:51:56 PM
Oasis

The kind of name I could see being evocative for a band creating atmospheric soundscapes or soulful pop music but really just seems to have nothing to do with the sound of Noel and co.

Maybe should just have gone with a self named debut single and been called Supersonic? that's a far better fit for there sound.

NoSleep

Glebe

Quote from: NoSleep on May 24, 2017, 12:29:48 PM
What they up to these days?

Dunno - but they went down the pan a long time ago!

Head Gardener

Repeater

Repeater

Burial is an amazing name wtf.

PaulTMA

ajsmith

Quote from: checkoutgirl on April 13, 2017, 08:56:40 AM
Live Music This Sat Night

Flashbax

Obviously an oldies tribute act. But what type of oldies? 70s? 80s? The x is reminiscent of Generation X which is a 90s thing but would this act have thought that deeply about it? Maybe they just pick songs they like from different eras. Unless we go to The Millmount House in Drumcondra this Saturday night I suppose we'll never know.

There was a Be Here Now era Oasis B-side called 'Flashbax'; could suggest they deal in Britpop covers, that kind of thing. Or it's a co-incidence.

Icehaven

Icehaven

Quote from: Dr Syntax Head on March 29, 2017, 06:23:52 PM

Air.
!!![nb]Mrs Syntax number one once had a proper go at me for listening to them, she said I only listen to them to think i'm cool. That's why she is Syntax no more[/nb]

I looked up the French word for air with the intention of saying 'Tch, did she not realise they were French so it probably sounds more exotic to them?'', but guess what I discovered.