Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 08:50:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Infantilisation

Started by touchingcloth, March 30, 2017, 11:10:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

batwings

That BBC advert featuring a cute dog telling you how to set up a BBC website account. That can fuck right off.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: JoeyBananaduck on May 19, 2017, 03:51:44 AM
How about the infantilisation these days of young teens? I may have mentioned elsewhere but my partner works in a school and the way she describes some of the 15/16 year olds you'd swear they were 7 or 8. They are overly pampered to a ridiculous degree and basically choose whether they're 'okay to go to the next lesson'. If not, they can go to a special room and do colouring in. Yesterday alone, a 16 year old girl had to leave the class and miss the next lesson because 'a teacher told her to stop gossiping in the back of class' and she was too overwrought by this polite request to continue. A 16 year old boy ripped up his work and refused to do anything because he had his fucking fidget spinner confiscated. These are people who could conceivably be in the workforce in the next couple of years. Remember how you acted when you were 16. I was working and saving up a bond for my first flat. Now they're crying and screaming because Miss took their spinning top away.

I was power wanking.

yesitsme

I watch 'science' programmes on the BBC and think 'This is like the stuff we used to watch at school'.  Complex ideas boiled down to bleeps, bloops and flashing lights.  People telling me how 'big Jupiter is' and how 'fast' light is like they're teaching to a class where English is the third language.

It's like CBBC has been pushed forward in to the evening schedules.

I would like to learn stuff, I am keen to know about oooh, let's say 'numbers that don't exist' or summat - see I can't even express what it is I don't understand.  A clever clogs mate once told me that our number system doesn't really work but before he'd had chance to eplain it was time to go to the bar and the moment was lost.

I'd like to learn about that.

Stuff I didn't learn at school.  Not stuff I did.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: yesitsme on May 19, 2017, 08:28:59 AM
I watch 'science' programmes on the BBC and think 'This is like the stuff we used to watch at school'.  Complex ideas boiled down to bleeps, bloops and flashing lights.  People telling me how 'big Jupiter is' and how 'fast' light is like they're teaching to a class where English is the third language.

It's like CBBC has been pushed forward in to the evening schedules.

I would like to learn stuff, I am keen to know about oooh, let's say 'numbers that don't exist' or summat - see I can't even express what it is I don't understand.  A clever clogs mate once told me that our number system doesn't really work but before he'd had chance to eplain it was time to go to the bar and the moment was lost.

I'd like to learn about that.

Stuff I didn't learn at school.  Not stuff I did.

I've told you a zillion times, the BBC is not there for our education. It's the umpteenth time I've had to state this on this forum alone!

Sebastian Cobb

Dunno if this is infantalisation or just incredibly pathetic, but I don't think it was worthy of its own thread. Some guy at the bbc made a 'life hack' video on how you can, right, get this, make your own sandwiches.

http://www.thepoke.co.uk/2017/05/16/bbc-reporter-mercilessly-mocked-sandwich-hack-making-sandwich/

JoeyBananaduck

Quote from: BlodwynPig on May 19, 2017, 08:12:27 AM
I was power wanking.

A perfectly laudable pursuit for a young man. Unlike playing with a fucking spinning top.

selsdon man

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on May 19, 2017, 09:53:09 AM
Dunno if this is infantalisation or just incredibly pathetic, but I don't think it was worthy of its own thread. Some guy at the bbc made a 'life hack' video on how you can, right, get this, make your own sandwiches.

http://www.thepoke.co.uk/2017/05/16/bbc-reporter-mercilessly-mocked-sandwich-hack-making-sandwich/

The BBC are looking for a replacement for Great British Bake Off.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: selsdon man on May 19, 2017, 10:40:58 AM
The BBC are looking for a replacement for Great British Bake Off.

This'll be great. I hope they get a Glaswegian proudly presenting a 'pie roll'.

Sony Walkman Prophecies

Quote from: yesitsme on May 19, 2017, 08:28:59 AM

Yes. I thought that recently watching a How Stuff Works (or something like that) video a millennial was showing me. I thought 'Okay, all well and good for primary school children. But when are you going to show me the thought-provoking content you promised?' De Botton's School of Life vids seem to be pitched at an even lower age range. He could have a second life as the voice of Daddy Pig in Peppa Pig if the accessible philosophy thing ever dries up.

greenman

Really seems like the BBC#s science/history documentary's fall into three catagories, slightly more tasteful versions of  American "the worlds biggest explosions" programs presented by someone like Hammond, big budget stuff like Cox in Julia 19 style arstral awe mode and BBC 4/Horizon more serious stuff presented by a university lecturer walking around.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: greenman on May 19, 2017, 11:35:42 AM
BBC 4/Horizon more serious stuff presented by a university lecturer walking around.

I like those, especially the ones with Dr Hannah Fry.

Kelvin

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-norfolk-39979735/hunstanton-sea-life-sanctuarys-first-humboltd-penguin-chick-in-decade

The three-week-old baby Humboldt penguin, named Fluffy McFluffyface by the sanctuary staff in Hunstanton, is as yet too young to determine its gender.

JoeyBananaduck

Well, that's as funny and endearing as it is whimsical and original.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: JoeyBananaduck on May 19, 2017, 03:51:44 AMA 16 year old boy ripped up his work and refused to do anything because he had his fucking fidget spinner confiscated.

I wonder if he might have had an autistic spectrum disorder?  I only ask because, purely coincidentally, an old friend of mine has just been complaining on Facebook because her 12-year-old daughter, who has ASD and although highly intelligent has always had trouble with school, had her "fidget cube" confiscated.  It had never been an issue before, but now that these "fidget spinners" etc. have been banned at her school, she's had to have her ASD-aid confiscated as well.  My friend was actually responding to this article:

http://www.thinkingautismguide.com/2017/05/what-fidget-spinners-fad-reveals-about.html

I should add that my friend is not normally the type to indulge such stuff, and like me, would probably be amazed and slightly horrified by the rest of your post -- Jesus, if I could have opted out of lessons to do colouring because I couldn't cope, I'd've spent most of my fifth and sixth forms hiding away.

ASFTSN

QuoteWowwee! Thanks for registering an account with Discord! You're the coolest person in all the land (and I've met a lot of really cool people).

Before we get started, we'll need to verify your email.

Hnnnngrgrhghgh

MoonDust

Quote from: ASFTSN on May 23, 2017, 08:35:58 AM
Hnnnngrgrhghgh

Whilst this annoys me just as much, I guess the bright side of it is when computers finally get full-blown AI, rather than being cold killer death bots who immediately realise humanity's pointlessness and kill us all, they'll instead be acting like overgrown man children who think it's normal to watch children's cartoons when they're 30 years old.

Maybe this infantalisation on such digital platforms is a failsafe for that very possibility, in which case, I'm all for it. I think...

phantom_power

Of course the most infantile thing to do is get needlessly wound up about unimportant things.

With his suit and tie

touchingcloth

I bought a cheese toastie from Costa the other day, and its packaging said "CAUTION: contents may cause happiness."

A few days later, I had some chips on a Ryanair flight, and the box they came in said "CAUTION: these fries are not a mirage, this box contains real, delicious fries".

In both cases I shoved the boiling hot contents of the packages into the tender abuses of the people who hard served them, to teach them a lesson about removing legitimate safety messages in favour of weak, weak jokes. Needless to say, I had the last lunch.

Sebastian Cobb

Chips? On a plane? I can only imagine they were a right soggy mess, like those potato wedges you get with a dominoes order that you don't want but have to accept as part of the offer if you want to get a garlic bread pizza thingy in as a starter.

touchingcloth

If anything they were too dry rather than soggy. Blasted at 450C I assume rather than microwaved. There were twenty three chips in the box.

momatt

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on May 24, 2017, 12:30:24 AM
Chips? On a plane? I can only imagine they were a right soggy mess, like those potato wedges you get with a dominoes order that you don't want but have to accept as part of the offer if you want to get a garlic bread pizza thingy in as a starter.

Ryanair burger and chips is one of the worst meals I've ever had.  Both a soggy awful tasteless mess.
Probably a bad choice of food from an aeroplane, but if it's impossible to make them nice they should offer something else.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: momatt on May 24, 2017, 10:18:46 AM
Ryanair burger and chips is one of the worst meals I've ever had.  Both a soggy awful tasteless mess.
Probably a bad choice of food from an aeroplane, but if it's impossible to make them nice they should offer something else.

Did you have to pay for it as an add-on? If so, why did you?

I had a British Airways fry up as a freebie once. It looked like it had been microwaved as none of the meat was browned at all.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on May 24, 2017, 10:50:06 AM

I had a British Airways fry up as a freebie once. It looked like it had been microwaved as none of the meat was browned at all.

It's Ryanair - everything's an add-on. In my case I'd brought my own food on, and the chips were just an extra.

One thing that's always intrigued me is the Lockheed L-1011, which was a plane that had a large galley below decks connected to the passenger deck with lifts.

I think we can all agree that the risk of a great big fire burning away unchecked beneath your feet is a small price to pay for a piping hot slap up meal.

Sebastian Cobb

I think if I was on a ryanair flight long enough to get hungry I'd prefer to just eat a few benzo's at the start and sort it out when I land.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on May 24, 2017, 12:25:18 PM
I think if I was on a ryanair flight long enough to get hungry I'd prefer to just eat a few benzo's at the start and sort it out when I land.

The flight wasn't long enough to develop a hunger, but with a 2000 take off and 2300 landing, it was the only obvious venue for eating a sensibly timed tea. Even on the shortest of short haul Ryanair flights, eating's still just about the only thing you can do to stave off boredom and forget about the dangerous thrombs building up in your legs.

I'll experiment with a free wank on the return journey.

Quincey

The wank is only free for the first five minutes, afterwards you have to pay £2 per minute.

momatt

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on May 24, 2017, 10:50:06 AM

MoonDust

BusinessWaste's spokesman Mark Hall on plastic straws needing a tax.

Quote"Face the facts, you're not eight years old. Only kids need a straw with their fizzy pop. Why on earth do you need a straw in your G&T?

"The same goes for the little paper-plastic umbrella in your cocktail. They rank with Christmas cracker treats as the most pointless invention known to man."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-40002668

He gets it.

Meanwhile, a plastic straw manufacturer depends plastic over paper because paper is less aesthetically pleasing. Who gives a fuck? It's there to serve a purpose, not look nice. Waaa.

Quincey

Plastic straws are handy for people who are disabled and have limited or no hand/arm movement or other reasons for limited coordination.

MoonDust

Quote from: Quincey on May 24, 2017, 02:01:38 PM
Plastic straws are handy for people who are disabled and have limited or no hand/arm movement or other reasons for limited coordination.

Of course.

I feel more annoyed at the straw maker man whose excuse for using plastic over paper is purely that plastic straws look nicer.