Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 02:04:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Infantilisation

Started by touchingcloth, March 30, 2017, 11:10:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sebastian Cobb

it's factually wrong as well. barbers pole paper straws look great.

mrpupkin

He also said the paper ones contain polyethylene anyway, so...something of a straw maker man argument there

Endicott

Repeater

Why not have dinner at 7pm ffs, moron

Sebastian Cobb

JoeyBananaduck

Quote from: Repeater on May 25, 2017, 01:15:28 PM
Why not have dinner at 7pm ffs, moron

Maybe he's not a pensioner and doesn't want to be hungry again at 11.30.

Repeater

Have something then too then

touchingcloth

Why sending emoji can save your relationship:

QuoteDo you communicate with your loved ones using emoji? If you do, it's a good thing. Emoji can help bridge the gap between men and women, heal relationships and for couples, could even keep you together.

Maybe if the relationship happens to be between fucking toddlers. And, yes, I do mean toddlers who are fucking. Also, they're "emoticons", you dreadful kawaii fuckers.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: touchingcloth on May 28, 2017, 02:29:27 PM
Why sending emoji can save your relationship:

Maybe if the relationship happens to be between fucking toddlers. And, yes, I do mean toddlers who are fucking. Also, they're "emoticons", you dreadful kawaii fuckers.

Emojis being part of a charset is a blessing and a curse really. Can't block them easily. Too cutesy IMO.

touchingcloth

Yeah, I spent some time with Apple support trying to work out how to turn the fuckers off in iMessage and on OSX in general, but they couldn't help, and I discovered that they'd been added to Unicode now rather than being combinations of ASCII characters. Who controls Unicode? A toddler?

Quincey

Cherwell District Council offered a choice of six names for its recycling bin mascot:

BinboBaggins
Phillipa
BinnyMcBinface
Binderlla
Binelope

Binbo Baggins won, so we don't have to have another Something McSomething, which is good. You can see Binbo Baggins here: http://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/15333390._Binny_McBinface__narrowly_defeated_in_competition_to_name_new_recycling_mascot/

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Quincey on June 07, 2017, 02:19:46 PM
Cherwell District Council offered a choice of six names for its recycling bin mascot:

BinboBaggins
Phillipa
BinnyMcBinface
Binderlla
Binelope

Binbo Baggins won, so we don't have to have another Something McSomething, which is good. You can see Binbo Baggins here: http://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/15333390._Binny_McBinface__narrowly_defeated_in_competition_to_name_new_recycling_mascot/

I don't think I've ever felt a greater kinship with Oscar the Grouch.

Icehaven

Quote from: Quincey on June 07, 2017, 02:19:46 PM

BinboBaggins
Phillipa
BinnyMcBinface
Binderlla
Binelope

Reminds me of this horror;

saltysnacks

Quote from: Wet Blanket on April 11, 2017, 08:57:00 PM
I can never make head nor tail of the YOU v THE GUY/GIRL THEY TELL YOU NOT TO WORRY ABOUT memes. Either both options look total shit, or I can't work out what is so positive/negative about the two offered options.

I still haven't worked out this whole 'image' thing: http://imgur.com/gallery/XFTyu

hard rocx and mettals

Are there any black-and-white figures to prove that this contrived mateyness in advertising actually boosts sales? Or are all these companies just connivingly following each other's leads? When will it end? Or will it just get worse?

Twee twats.

chand

Quote from: Wet Blanket on April 11, 2017, 08:57:00 PM
I can never make head nor tail of the YOU v THE GUY/GIRL THEY TELL YOU NOT TO WORRY ABOUT memes. Either both options look total shit, or I can't work out what is so positive/negative about the two offered options.

It's a fairly straightforward meme but one of the problems with memes is that people who otherwise aren't funny try and do them, and people always then try and subvert them and do ironic versions until it doesn't make sense. It works best when there's some kind of connection, particularly a vague resemblance, between the two photos.

touchingcloth

^ That same meme was discussed a couple of pages into this thread. I'd never seen it before then I've not yet seen it outside of here, so I obviously associate with a better class of people than you lot.

One of the problems with the ones posted in here was just picture selection, so even knowing what the meme was supposed to mean a lot of them didn't really make sense due to the picture having very little to do with the concept.

One of the most twisted memes now is the "YO DAWG" one, which has a picture of Xzibit and, originally, a caption along the lines of "yo dawg, I heard you like to cycle, so I put a bike on yo bike so you can ride while you ride", but has been corrupted to the point where I've seen several that just say "yo dawg, I heard you like <literally any person, object or concept>". So yes, people are morons.

SteveDave

From the BBC website today about clean versions of films being made available by Sony:

"Step Brothers, starring Will Ferrell, had 152 swears taken out"

"Swears"? It wouldn't kill them to write "swear words" would it?

Norton Canes

'Obscenities' would be even better

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Norton Canes on June 16, 2017, 11:20:05 AM
'Obscenities' would be even better

I'm reading For Whom the Bell Tolls at the minute and for some reason Hemmingway decided to write 'obscenity' instead of actual swears, so it's completely littered with 'I obscenity in the milk of your father' and that; it's doing my lid in.

MoonDust

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on June 16, 2017, 11:22:06 AM
I'm reading For Whom the Bell Tolls at the minute and for some reason Hemmingway decided to write 'obscenity' instead of actual swears, so it's completely littered with 'I obscenity in the milk of your father' and that; it's doing my lid in.

I read that too (love that book by the way, one of my favourites) and I think it was publishing laws back in the 1930s didn't allow swearing, so "obscenity" is the work of the editor, not Hemmingway. I've read the book in Spanish too and it has the actual swear words in that.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: MoonDust on June 16, 2017, 11:41:13 AM
I read that too (love that book by the way, one of my favourites) and I think it was publishing laws back in the 1930s didn't allow swearing, so "obscenity" is the work of the editor, not Hemmingway. I've read the book in Spanish too and it has the actual swear words in that.

I did consider that. I've not read anything quite so early from the us I don't think. The lost weekend was about a decade later and I think that had swearing. It certainly had a few racist and homophobic terms in it.

I did also wonder if it had since been updated as well - I bought the copy off of abe books, it's copyright some point in the 1970's and has an rrp of 45p.

It could just be other books from the same era that I've read (Homage to Catalonia, Hangover Square) skirt round it and infer swearing rather than overtly censoring it.

saltysnacks

This thread makes my tummy hurt.

touchingcloth

Quote from: MoonDust on June 16, 2017, 11:41:13 AM

It was Hemingway. The manuscript lacks the swears, but he had successfully fought with his publishers to include them in earlier works. I think the jury's out on his motivation for writing in that way, but I've read that a costly divorce may have been a factor - less risk of not being stocked by some outlets, higher chance of serialising. 

Quote from: touchingcloth on June 16, 2017, 05:26:35 PM
It was Hemingway. The manuscript lacks the swears, but he had successfully fought with his publishers to include them in earlier works. I think the jury's out on his motivation for writing in that way, but I've read that a costly divorce may have been a factor - less risk of not being stocked by some outlets, higher chance of serialising.

Yeah, that's something I noticed reading the old Bulldog Drummond stories.  You could have gory violence but any word worse than 'damn' was out.

pigamus

Have we had 'Grown adults reading comics' yet?

saltysnacks

Quote from: pigamus on June 16, 2017, 08:12:33 PM

Yes, quite. I made the move to the Roman Graphique many moons ago.

Gwen Taylor on ITV

Quote from: pigamus on June 16, 2017, 08:12:33 PM

I'm sure many people will say it depends on the content of the comic - whether it's a gritty graphic novel featuring topless women or whether it's batman and robin.

I nominate adult colouring books.  At the age of adult, an adult should be able to both colour in between the lines and draw the lines themselves.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Gwen Taylor on ITV on June 16, 2017, 08:58:36 PM
I'm sure many people will say it depends on the content of the comic - whether it's a gritty graphic novel featuring topless women or whether it's batman and robin.

I nominate adult colouring books.  At the age of adult, an adult should be able to both colour in between the lines and draw the lines themselves.

I can't do either of these things, but as a grown adult I can just not do them in the first place.