Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:24:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Young Ones

Started by Gurke and Hare, April 03, 2017, 12:10:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sgt. Duckie

Fave Balowski family member anybody?
Brian 'Damage' Balowski for me. Famous rifle-butt twat to Rick's head, crazed, yet appearing relatively normal compared to anybody else in the Sick episode.

Sydward Lartle

Was the train driver in the Bambi episode a member of the Balowski family? I always enjoyed his little ramble about moustaches and biscuits.

Jittlebags

The really annoying thing (as it was in Blackadder I Ep 5), was Stephen Frost, and the other one appearing in various stream of consciousness cameos.

Sydward Lartle

Quote from: Jittlebags on April 04, 2017, 11:04:33 PM
Stephen Frost and the other one

That'll be Mark Arden then.

"It's a larf, innit?"
"What is?"
"That noise you make when you hear a joke"

The really annoying thing (as it was in Blackadder I Ep 5), was Stephen Frost, and the other one appearing in various stream of consciousness cameos.

The 80s Carling Black Label guys?

greenman

I always did assume there was some kind of in joke around them that I wasn't getting, still Frost was excellent in Blackadder Goes Forth.

I would tend to agree that the first series felt a little more freewheeling with its surrealism and rather more unique for it.

Serge

Nooo! There are lines from the two policemen sketch that myself and my dad repeat to this day (including the 'it's a larf innit?' exchange from above.) Not to mention 'codpiece-face'.

Their own cop sitcom, 'Lazarus And Dingwall', however, was nowhere near as good as it should have been.

thraxx

Quote from: Sydward Lartle on April 05, 2017, 12:41:16 AM

"It's a larf, innit?"
"What is?"

I love this joke.  And it's brilliantly delivered.

Another favorite (though by Neil):

"Do you dig graves?"
"Yeah, yeah - they're alright..."

Sydward Lartle

Mark Arden later turned up in Bottom as the fun fair employee who gets an airgun pellet in the eye, then gets to kick Eddie in the nadgers, so obviously Mayall and Edmondson thought he, rather than Stephen Frost, was the funny one.

thraxx

I'm sure there's a bit from - the first series? - that was cut out and never seen again, but I'm sure I was in the original broadcast. 

The bit from the cornflakes episode I think when Neil answers the door and the Policeman in sunglasses nicks him and calls him every racist name under the sun and then realising his mistake says 'oh sorry sir, I though you was a c***'.

When it was repeated in the 1990s each episode was around 3 minutes long as so many bits had been brutally cut, including the subliminal bits.  Even the 'Mary doing geoggers' 'oh you mean the one with enormous tits!' bit was cut...

DrGreggles

Quote from: thraxx on April 05, 2017, 08:41:48 PM
I'm sure there's a bit from - the first series? - that was cut out and never seen again, but I'm sure I was in the original broadcast. 

The bit from the cornflakes episode I think when Neil answers the door and the Policeman in sunglasses nicks him and calls him every racist name under the sun and then realising his mistake says 'oh sorry sir, I though you was a c***'.

When it was repeated in the 1990s each episode was around 3 minutes long as so many bits had been brutally cut, including the subliminal bits.  Even the 'Mary doing geoggers' 'oh you mean the one with enormous tits!' bit was cut...

The original shows were 35 minutes long, so they were butchered edited to 30 mins for the repeats (for some reason).
The DVD boxset edits seem pretty full though. There might be a few music clearance issues, but the rest looks intact.

DrGreggles

Quote from: Sydward Lartle on April 05, 2017, 08:36:00 PM
Mark Arden later turned up in Bottom as the fun fair employee who gets an airgun pellet in the eye, then gets to kick Eddie in the nadgers, so obviously Mayall and Edmondson thought he, rather than Stephen Frost, was the funny one.

I saw Stephen Frost at the WLIIA reunion thing in Edinburgh a few years abck and he was surprisingly[nb]the surprise was that he more than held his own with Greg and Colin[/nb] brilliant.
The full line up was Anderson, Proops, Frost, Lawwrence and Mocherie. And a bloody good time was had by all.

Sydward Lartle

Quote from: thraxx on April 05, 2017, 08:41:48 PM

The episode is Boring. Neil doesn't answer the door, the copper leaps out and verbally abuses the cornflakes representative who's there to present Vyv with his new Ford Tippex. Apparently the diatribe was based on some of Jim Barclay's stand-up act. When the copper takes his shades off, he says "Sorry John, I thought you was a n****r". And Vyv never gets his new Ford Tippex, because Ftmsch answers the door, machine-guns the cornflakes rep and they both return to the netherworld, leaving the racist copper to snaffle Vyv's prize for himself.

If I remember rightly, back in 1995 when the Young Ones was repeated on BBC2, Paul Jackson cut the episodes down to 30m each so they'd fit into their new timeslot and the racist copper's bit was a very noticeable cut indeed. When he was challenged about it, Jackson had this to say...

'You... mentioned the way I have dealt with the racist policeman in the 'Boring' episode. I have to tell you that I did this quite intentionally, since it became quite an issue for us at the time of the original production. We were perfectly happy with the cut that went out in the original show, but we received a significant number of letters - particularly from young black viewers - who had found at this moment that their common joy in a series which was very much, at that stage, an underground delight for young people had been horribly tainted by this sudden use of language which they found offensive and distressing. It caused us a great deal of concern at the time and this seemed to be an opportunity to maintain the joke while losing some of the most aggressive language. You may like to contrast this with the BBC video version in which the sequence is removed altogether.'

He was wrong, by the way. The racist policeman sequence was intact on the BBC videos, and remains intact on the DVD release.

thraxx

Well now I know.  Here it is, hard to believe they got away with it to be honest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxaWCb9U9iQ

"That's white man's electricity you're burning!'

im barry bethel

Quote from: Sydward Lartle on April 05, 2017, 12:41:16 AM

"It's a larf, innit?"
"What is?"

I remember that as

"That noise you make at the back of your throat"

Plus

"We had a row and I said something about the Pope."

"That's a bit stupid, you know she's Catholic."

"Yeah, I know she's Catholic, but I didn't know the Pope was.

Cuts out to newspaper headline about police IQ's

thraxx

I've never understood what the fuck this was about, but I love it to bits nonetheless:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpgMzmpzOF0

Uncle TechTip

Been going out with her for 'in years!

How long?

'in years!

Then I er....

What? Kneed her in the groin?

No, the other one.

Slept with her!

Sydward Lartle

Quote from: thraxx on April 05, 2017, 09:11:28 PM
I've never understood what the fuck this was about
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpgMzmpzOF0

It's an abstract reference to Abel Ferrara's nutcase in Driller Killer, hence the 'borrow a drill' part. It's not explicit, but there are a few scenes in that film where his character is seen either ranting to himself or talking to his giant painting of a water buffalo, both of which suggest he's not quite right in the head and powertool-related carnage is about to take place.

Quote from: thraxx on April 05, 2017, 08:56:42 PM
...hard to believe they got away with it to be honest.

Alf Garnett was still calling his home help Winston a 'black gay poofter' (among other things) as late as 1986, so it's not really as if this sequence (first broadcast 1982) just managed to creep in through a crack in the door.

Jake Thingray

Quote from: Sydward Lartle on April 05, 2017, 08:52:11 PM
The episode is Boring. Neil doesn't answer the door, the copper leaps out and verbally abuses the cornflakes representative who's there to present Vyv with his new Ford Tippex. Apparently the diatribe was based on some of Jim Barclay's stand-up act. When the copper takes his shades off, he says "Sorry John, I thought you was a n****r". And Vyv never gets his new Ford Tippex, because Ftmsch answers the door, machine-guns the cornflakes rep and they both return to the netherworld, leaving the racist copper to snaffle Vyv's prize for himself.

If I remember rightly, back in 1995 when the Young Ones was repeated on BBC2, Paul Jackson cut the episodes down to 30m each so they'd fit into their new timeslot and the racist copper's bit was a very noticeable cut indeed. When he was challenged about it, Jackson had this to say...

'You... mentioned the way I have dealt with the racist policeman in the 'Boring' episode. I have to tell you that I did this quite intentionally, since it became quite an issue for us at the time of the original production. We were perfectly happy with the cut that went out in the original show, but we received a significant number of letters - particularly from young black viewers - who had found at this moment that their common joy in a series which was very much, at that stage, an underground delight for young people had been horribly tainted by this sudden use of language which they found offensive and distressing. It caused us a great deal of concern at the time and this seemed to be an opportunity to maintain the joke while losing some of the most aggressive language. You may like to contrast this with the BBC video version in which the sequence is removed altogether.'

He was wrong, by the way. The racist policeman sequence was intact on the BBC videos, and remains intact on the DVD release.

Credit where it's due, please. You got that from http://sotcaa.org/history/sotcaa2000/index.html.

Phil_A

Quote from: thraxx on April 05, 2017, 08:34:38 PM
I love this joke.  And it's brilliantly delivered.

Another favorite (though by Neil):

"Do you dig graves?"
"Yeah, yeah - they're alright..."

Another great Neil line that took me years to get...

"You're a spade! I always call him that."

jamiefairlie

Quote from: thraxx on April 05, 2017, 08:56:42 PM
Well now I know.  Here it is, hard to believe they got away with it to be honest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxaWCb9U9iQ

"That's white man's electricity you're burning!'

Hmmm, didn't seem too surprising at the time though. Alternative comedy was expected to be confrontationally anti-racist, so having a go at the police for using this kind of language was par for the course.

thraxx

Quote from: jamiefairlie on April 05, 2017, 09:40:42 PM
Hmmm, didn't seem too surprising at the time though. Alternative comedy was expected to be confrontationally anti-racist, so having a go at the police for using this kind of language was par for the course.

Well, I am viewing it through the prism of today, which would never allow something like that on TV, but even when I watched it the first time I was shocked by it, perhaps as much for its attack on the po-po as much as the racial language.

Sydward Lartle

Hugh Jass

Quote from: jamiefairlie on April 05, 2017, 09:40:42 PM

I don't know, I feel like the joke comes off perfectly fine without him having to use the n word at the end. The point is already made.

jamiefairlie

Quote from: thraxx on April 05, 2017, 09:47:01 PM
Well, I am viewing it through the prism of today, which would never allow something like that on TV, but even when I watched it the first time I was shocked by it, perhaps as much for its attack on the po-po as much as the racial language.

That's one of the saddest things about today's 'frightened to offend' attitudes. How do you properly attack and undermine loathsome behavior if you cannot reflect it in a satirical way?

Sydward Lartle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnZnnkJxoC8

I think the policeman's opening gambit in this sketch would have to be quietly removed as well if the Young Ones were repeated nowadays.

Mr Banlon

I remember me and my mates trying to work out what the flash-frames in series two meant. Turns out nothing.

Stoneage Dinosaurs

Only found out recently that the bloke who gets sneezed on by Neil and then lobs a brick at their house in Sick went on to be Hugh in the Armando Iannucci Shows.

Sydward Lartle

Quote from: Mr Banlon on April 05, 2017, 10:37:36 PM
I remember me and my mates trying to work out what the flash-frames in series two meant. Turns out nothing.

The final episode, Summer Holiday, was originally intended to have a flash-frame in the sequence where Vyv crashes his car, which was to have read 'I didn't want to put all those flash frames in in the first place - the VT editor' or something like that. It was removed because Spitting Image had recently received slapped wrists at the hands of the IBA for sneaking in a subliminal image of Norris McWhirter's head superimposed onto the body of a page three girl. This led to the Criminal Libel sketch where 'Harold Angryperson' (voiced in one episode by Ade Edmondson) was incensed to see a flash frame in his own segment of the show, insisting that the director spooled the tape back. Turned out the flash frame was a blue screen with the word NO at the bottom.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: DrGreggles on April 05, 2017, 08:46:09 PM
The original shows were 35 minutes long, so they were butchered edited to 30 mins for the repeats (for some reason).

The DVD boxset edits seem pretty full though. There might be a few music clearance issues, but the rest looks intact.

Indeed they are... mostly.

What I think are pretty much the definitive statements on what's on which releases can be found on this old thread courtesy of SOTCAA-person Emergency Lalla Ward Ten.  Here's some extracts (and they ARE only extracts, if you really want every detail, click the above link!):

Quote from: Emergency Lalla Ward Ten on October 30, 2007, 01:39:52 AM
To stop any confusions circulating, let it be known that this new set is indeed totally uncut - every frame is exactly as broadcast in 1982/84. All music cuts have been put back in - yes, including Good Day Sunshine. Quite incredible.

The downside is that we no longer get the shagging teddy bears in Nasty. Uncertainty still surrounds whether that segment ever went out at the time (it was certainly cut from the '85 repeat onwards), although it's always been present on the videos. Not sure about Neil sneezing in Sick - I've driven myself mad trying to do a shot-by-shot comparison with that scene in the past. It seems to have the close-up of Neil, though, so I think it's the long edit.

Quote from: trotsky assortment on October 30, 2007, 11:07:55 AMOoh.  Did anyone notice if the flash-flame of the gurning face has been put back where it belongs in 'Time'?  Since it's not been seen since the first broadcast (and the subsequent broadcast on the BFBS channel), I suspect it's still missing.  It certainly wasn't included in the '85 terrestrial repeat.

Quote from: Piers Fletcher Dervish on October 30, 2007, 06:32:14 PMI've just checked with the "Complete Series" videos. The [gurning face] flash frame IS in there, right after the Easter Bunny. So this is NOT on the new DVD-set?

Quote from: Emergency Lalla Ward Ten on October 31, 2007, 04:23:55 PMIndeed it is, and it's missing from the new DVD. Sigh. So not quite uncut then. Christ knows why (or indeed when) the flashframe was removed.

Quote from: Ambient Sheep on November 05, 2007, 10:37:14 AMA well-meaning relative has just bought-on-my-behalf... ...the two old DVDs... ...they're still shrink-wrapped at this stage and can be taken back.

My question is, is it worth hanging onto them to get anything that isn't on the new box-set?  From reading the discussion, it seems I'd just get the shagging teddy-bears, and maybe the odd flash-frame.  Is there anything else?

Quote from: Emergency Lalla Ward Ten on November 05, 2007, 12:19:58 PM
You'd get the shagging teddy-bears, the re-dubbed intro to Oil, the Beatles-free intro to Boring, and the mysterious Brewis-esque sting as Neil is thrown out of the army recruitment shop (which covers up the removal of Ken Bishop's Nice Twelve).

If you want the Time flashframe and the 'clean' version of the lion-taming scene (sans Tight Fit), you have to seek out the old VHS tapes.

As I said nearly ten years ago:

Quote from: Ambient Sheep on November 05, 2007, 11:56:37 PMThanks very much for all that detailed information.

which actually continues onto the next page of that thread, but I believe the above are the essentials.