Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 11:58:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Brockmire (new US Sitcom starring Hank Azaria)

Started by Small Man Big Horse, April 03, 2017, 02:28:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Small Man Big Horse

Technically this doesn't start until Wednesday but the kind people of IFC have put the pilot on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRHEwO3nET4

It's about a baseball commentator (Azaria) who has a breakdown whilst on air and starts venting about his wife indulging in sex parties without his knowledge. He's fired for such a faux pas, and then it jumps forward ten years where after travelling around Europe for a decade (including a stint as a commentator on cock fighting) he ends up back in the states working for a small and pretty shitty baseball team, owned by the always lovely Amanda Peet. Apparently Azaria has been doing the character for Funny or Die skits for a while now, but I've yet to see any of them, but I liked this a fair deal. It's yet to be anything ground breaking but the jokes are often strong, and the ending suggests how the narrative will develop. I've a huge amount of fondness for Azaria, not only for The Simpsons but I was one of about thirteen people who really loved his series Huff from about thirteen years ago, so I really hope it's a success.

Small Man Big Horse

IFC aired both the first and second episode last night and I found myself still enjoying it a lot. They resolved the "Will They / Won't They" thing within about five minutes of the second episode
Spoiler alert
(They will! But boy is it cringeworthy!)
[close]
, and whilst it's still a fairly traditional indie sitcom it did make me laugh a good few times.

Small Man Big Horse

After the slightly dull third episode I lost interest in this for a while but I've just watched the fourth episode and it was pretty superb stuff, really delivering on it's potential and Hank Azaria turns in a really great performance, whilst Amanda Peet is damn great too. If it had been as average as the third episode I might have given up on it, but given how strong it was I'm now excited about watching the rest of the season.