Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 07:29:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

It Was 50 Years Ago Today

Started by SteveDave, April 04, 2017, 11:43:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveDave

in a couple of months...but the churning has begun and apparently Apple are announcing a 6 disc set of Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band today.

I for one hope to finally hear Carnival Of Light and be disappointed.

shiftwork2

It was 30 years ago today that the Sgt Pepper documentary 'It was 20 years ago today' was on the telly.  In a couple of months!

Glebe

Was just wondering about this the other day, checking on Wiki it was released on 1 June '67. Half a century, eh?

the science eel

Quote from: SteveDave on April 04, 2017, 11:43:18 AM
in a couple of months...but the churning has begun and apparently Apple are announcing a 6 disc set of Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band today.

Seriously? I've been looking out for stuff....

Let us know when you hear something specific, will you please? I'm all over this!

SteveDave

Custard

A boxset like the Pet Sounds one from the 90s, with sessions etc would be great

NOW THEY KNOW HOW MANY DISCS IT TAKES TO GET THE FANS TO PAY A BIT MOOOORE

the science eel

Neither of which say anything much at all!

Anyway - not sure I'll be paying £100+ unless there's 'Carnival of Light' and loads of juicy outtakes. Which there won't be.

SteveDave

As it's Apple I'm not expecting much.

Apparently SFF/PL was meant to be available for RSD this year but they couldn't get them done in time.

Serge

If we get 'Carnival Of Light' I'll eat one of my hats.

Custard

I don't collect these mega super deluxe jobbies, but that looks lovely

WHATS ON THE DISCS PLZ

Natnar

According to this trailer https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/D1SlZaoXPGS.mp4 the content is

IT'S GETTING BETTER ALL THE TIME

REMIXED • REPACKAGED

Brand new stereo mix by Giles Martin and Sam Okell from the original master tapes.

ALSO AVAILABLE:
Deluxe two-CD set, including CD of previously unreleased session takes. Capture the band in the studio as the album was recorded.

SUPER DELUXE SIX-DISC SET:
Includes two CDs of extras. A deeper dive with 100 minutes of outtakes, many previously unheard and unreleased, plus new stereo mixes of "Strawberry Fields Forever" and "Penny Lane." Mono album with six extra tracks including the 'lost version' of "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds." DVD and Blu-ray: "The Making of Sgt. Pepper" fully restored, plus 5.1 surround sound and hi-res stereo mixes. Plus 144-page book: images of The Beatles in the studio, handwritten lyrics and recording notes, track-by-track, and "The World in 1967." Plus two posters and insert.

SUPER DELUXE 6-DISC SET • 1CD • 2CD • 2LP VINYL • DIGITAL
26 MAY

SteveDave

Disc 1: Album remixed (in stereo) by Giles Martin

Disc 2-3: outtakes and extras (No Carnival Of Light though apparently...)

Disc 4: Mono mix on CD (with extra songs at the end including the promo 45 Penny Lane mix)

Discs 5-6: DVD/Blu-ray containing restored The Making of Sgt. Pepper

mrpupkin

Disc 7: Some bits of the actual barrel

DrGreggles

Won't any decent leftovers from the Pepper sessions have already been included on the Anthology albums?

Rich Uncle Skeleton

Depends who vetoed what when they were being compiled i suppose? Carnival Of Light, for example, was blocked from Anthology 2 because it would have just been some McCartney showcase according to Mark Lewisohn.

Quote from: Shameless Custard on April 04, 2017, 07:43:51 PM
I don't collect these mega super deluxe jobbies, but that looks lovely

WHATS ON THE DISCS PLZ

http://www.superdeluxeedition.com/news/the-beatles-sgt-peppers-lonely-hearts-club-band-super-deluxe-edition/

The whole lists there, I'd paste it but i imagine it'd just piss people off having to scroll past it all whenever they read the thread.

Very surprised this is happening, given how fiercely protected their music is. Glad they're finally relaxing a bit and releasing new mixes.

SteveDave

Quote from: Rich Uncle Skeleton on April 05, 2017, 03:32:26 PM
Very surprised this is happening, given how fiercely protected their music is. Glad they're finally relaxing a bit and releasing new mixes.

Is it not a very fancy 50 year copyright extension thing?

weekender

Quote from: SteveDave on April 05, 2017, 04:51:22 PM
Is it not a very fancy 50 year copyright extension thing?

It's probably a bit more complex.  It's about the rights of who owns what.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyright_law_of_the_United_Kingdom

It gets very complex, but sort of explains why in the 1980s Michael Jackson owned the Beatles' back catalogue, and why Julian Lennon had to pay by auction to get back letters that his father wrote to him.

Brian Epstein may have been a nice gay man, but he was fucking shit at law - and did the Beatles no favours, because he was out of his depth.

Serge

Between this and the CAN 3 LP singles collection, I'm going to have to do some serious overtime.

My hats are safe, as 'Carnival Of Light' is not included among the outtakes.

the science eel

Quote from: Serge on April 05, 2017, 08:47:18 PM
Between this and the CAN 3 LP singles collection, I'm going to have to do some serious overtime.

??

MattD

This is what we've all been waiting for. As a predominant headphone user, a 5.1 surround sound remix is just what I've always wanted from The Beatles. The '1' compilation from 2015 was unbelievably great - there was so much more added vibrancy and panache to the songs, and you could pick out all the individual instruments. It didn't suffer from the compression of the original mixes.

I fail to understand then why they didn't do this with the 2009 remasters, instead of re-releasing the pointless stereo mixes (which George Martin always said were just a mere afterthought). Mono is the best Beatles listening experience as far as I'm concerned, but the ultimate listening experience will be when all the albums are given the 5.1 surround sound treatment. Surely this has to be on the horizon?

the science eel

Seeing as only about 1% of folk listen to these albums in surround sound, I doubt it.

Absorb the anus burn

Quote from: Serge on April 06, 2017, 09:11:51 AM
!!

I'll probably buy the Can singles collection....... But it is missing tons of stuff
Spoiler alert
(Nightingale / Chain Reaction edit / three mixes of Hoolah / Aggiko / Kamera Song etc.)
[close]

BlodwynPig

The BBC are highlighting Sgt Peppers on Breakfast this week - focusing on a song every day. Today it was "she's leaving home" which shoehorned a serious "think piece" on the plight of youngsters running away from home today. Jesus wept.

Absorb the anus burn

Quote from: BlodwynPig on April 06, 2017, 09:28:30 AM
The BBC are highlighting Sgt Peppers on Breakfast this week - focusing on a song every day. Today it was "she's leaving home" which shoehorned a serious "think piece" on the plight of youngsters running away from home today. Jesus wept.

And tomorrow 'Fixing A Hole' will run along a report about pot holes on England's roads.

the science eel

Quote from: Absorb the anus burn on April 06, 2017, 09:25:33 AM
I'll probably buy the Can singles collection....... But it is missing tons of stuff
Spoiler alert
(Nightingale / Chain Reaction edit / three mixes of Hoolah / Aggiko / Kamera Song etc.)
[close]

I'd be happier with good quality versions of the early Inner Space stuff (Nightingale, Kamera Song etc.). Spoon keep missing opportunities. The outtakes box from a few years ago was a disappointment, this singles box no fucker needs.

Serge

Quote from: the science eel on April 06, 2017, 09:32:26 AMThe outtakes box from a few years ago was a disappointment,

'The Lost Tapes'? That was fantastic!

No, nobody needs the singles album, but it's not going to stop me from buying it.

daf

SteveDave

You can now hear (in places) the out-takes and new stereo remixes of the first two songs off of SPLHCB.

My highlights- an previously unheard (by me) whoop (by Paul) after the first horn instrumental on the title song and With A Little Help From My Friends sounding like a different song without the singing. That piano is Brian Wilson-esque/ish.