Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 09:10:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recommend me head/earphones

Started by Sony Walkman Prophecies, April 07, 2017, 05:09:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sony Walkman Prophecies

Was looking for a pair in the £20-40 range. Something balanced (i.e. no 'party bass') and relatively hard-wearing.

Thanks Cabbers.

Chairman Bodog

Blumf

Quote from: Chairman Bodog on April 07, 2017, 05:13:35 PM
Sennheiser. Straight up.

^^^This^^^

But a pair of these for your namesake:

Ambient Sheep

There's a recent headphones thread here that may (or may not) help.

imitationleather

The very popular Trinity Hyperions are currently reduced from £35 to £20, which is a stone cold bargain. I know this because I fucking left mine in a train station last night and have had to buy a new pair.

olliebean

Quote from: imitationleather on April 08, 2017, 12:15:13 AM
The very popular Trinity Hyperions are currently reduced from £35 to £20, which is a stone cold bargain. I know this because I fucking left mine in a train station last night and have had to buy a new pair.

Ooh (yoink) - thanks for the heads-up.

gmoney

I got a pair of Trinity Hyperion's and the broke within 2 weeks, so bear that in mind.

fat_abbott

Thanks for the tip on those Hyperions. Wow. I had to chuck my ancient Sennheisers that I loved as they finally gave up, so took a chance on these. They sound so good, even just on shitty mp3s. Being a suspicious type I'm wondering what the catch is.

Also if you sign up to their newsletter you get a further 20% off. I'm getting a second pair for when the first set die.

olliebean

I think mine may have been stolen by the courier - haven't received them, although the tracking website says they were delivered yesterday.

<edit> Turns out they left it with my neighbour, without leaving anything to let me know that's what they'd done. <sigh>

studpuppet

£16 seems a bargain for the Trinity Hyperions (I used HEADFIMEMBERS01 as the code - no signup to the newsletter needed).

fat_abbott

I've just ordered 2 more sets, one for spare, one for daughter, mainly just to see if they arrived before Olliebean got his, and then I come back and he has spoiled my fun.

Cuntbeaks

RHA all the way, even their entry level 'phones sound great. Plus their no quibble 3 year guarantee is superb.

gabrielconroy

I seem to have lost both my pairs of earphones. These Trinity Hyperion jobbies look very nice indeed, although they seem to have gone back up to £35. It'd be painful to pay that knowing that only mere days before I could have got them for half the price. Was that definitely a limited offer or am I looking in the wrong place (their website and Amazon)?

Sony Walkman Prophecies

Bought the Soundmagic e10s. They're very detailed, dynamic, and don't seem to distort - even at high volumes. I do find them very trebly though. They seem to be calibrated for anything within the upper register (acoustic guitars, vocals, cymbals), and while that's all well and good, as someone who likes bass-driven, percussive music, they just don't do it for me. The snares and kicks just don't cut through the mix and, although technically inferior, I do find myself returning to my August blue-tooth headphones, and even my iPhone headphones, both of which I find more exciting to listen to. I suspect this is because both headphones have a bit of 'hump' around the lower mid end of the spectrum, which gives tracks more impact than the e10s. I dunno, I just find the e10s a bit too analytical. It's great hearing all the details that I missed before, but they don't make me enjoy listening to music. Definitely worth hanging onto for watching TV/film, but that's all for me.

fat_abbott

Quote from: gabrielconroy on April 19, 2017, 11:45:12 PM
I seem to have lost both my pairs of earphones. These Trinity Hyperion jobbies look very nice indeed, although they seem to have gone back up to £35. It'd be painful to pay that knowing that only mere days before I could have got them for half the price. Was that definitely a limited offer or am I looking in the wrong place (their website and Amazon)?

They have gone back up to the original price. Unlucky.

Sebastian Cobb

I've got a cheap (<£20) pair of Sennheisers that sound 'alright' but they're semi-closed cup and are a bit shit to wear for any length of time.

My work headphones are a light pair of Koss Porta Pros that look like they came with an '80s walkman. They were about £15 iirc but would be a bargain at twice the price. They've lasted long enough for the foam to disintegrate and need replacing.

It looks like they may have sold out now, but there was a time when you could get spare ex-concorde sennheisers hd25's for about £25.

As for buds I love my soundmagics, the mesh got all gunked up and I ended up knocking them out while cleaning them with a toothbrush and peroxide. Still work though.

LanceUppercut

I don't know if curry's still stock them but they sold some Goji over ear headphones by Tinchy Strider (I know). These were 120quid at first I bit when they went down to forty, and last time I went they were twenty five years quid.

Well made,  comfortable, sound great too, not 120quid good but a bargain at 25.

wasp_f15ting

RHA have really good customer service from a friends experience.

They replaced his headphones well outside of warranty because the cable broke.

Roy*Mallard

Shit Good Nose

Fuck Sennheiser at that end of the price spectrum - wildly inconsistent QC, plus they changed the house sound signature on the most popular CX series some years ago.  In fact the only Sennheiser in-ears I would recommend these days are their top of the range IE800s, which are absolutely stunning.  But, at £600, you're not even going to be demoing those.  They are not the company they once were.

The aforementioned RHA and SoundMagic E10 are what you want to be looking at (acknowledge you're not keen on the E10s) - excellent build and sound quality, reliable and comfortable without breaking the bank.

My Sennheiser CX160s have partly packed in today. One of the earphones has gone very quiet, though not totally dead. Is there any reason this might happen so I can repair them? It doesn't seem to be the jack which is reassuring as they went every three months on every Sony pair I had.

Is it worth going up a few quid? Got no objection to spending beyond £20ish as long as they don't break all the cunting time.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: drummersaredeaf on May 08, 2017, 12:37:29 PM
My Sennheiser CX160s have partly packed in today. One of the earphones has gone very quiet, though not totally dead. Is there any reason this might happen so I can repair them? It doesn't seem to be the jack which is reassuring as they went every three months on every Sony pair I had.

Is it worth going up a few quid? Got no objection to spending beyond £20ish as long as they don't break all the cunting time.

The simple answer is to not buy Sennheiser any more[nb]although, in addition to the IE800s I mentioned above, most of their cans are still pretty good to be fair[/nb].

RHA are pretty robust and their warranty and after-sales service is pretty unbeatable (they're known to regularly repair or replace outside of the warrant period if it can be demonstrated as a genuine fault).

All of Shure's in-ears are really well made, but you are starting to go up a few price points.

Monsters (including Beats) are pretty good, although they may not be to your taste sound wise.