Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 01:18:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Your breakfastl

Started by Jockice, April 10, 2017, 11:00:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: MuteBanana on May 19, 2017, 10:27:07 AM
I boiled 6 yesterday. I was through four of 'em before I noticed one had a "bad bit" running through the white. I know the yolks can go a bit off colour when boiling them but this looked something else. I also decided the yolk looked almost green.

Anyway decided to bin the rest today. Just stick to mushy peas on toast.

Was it a grey bit? That can happen sometimes if it gets a bit hot (it sometimes happens when I do shakshuka and the white is touching the side of the skillet.

Anyhow, next time you need to use up some eggs I'd recommend scrambled egg with a tablespoon of pataks curry paste mixed in.

MuteBanana

No it was blackish and looked almost slimy. Just wrong.

Sounds good. Might get some cheap large eggs from the offy for that. Had"curried" mushy peas on toast the other night. Turmeric, cinnamon, pepper, Marmite and Tabasco sauce. Not the most curry flavours but it was gorgeous.

Sebastian Cobb

I've just pulled the trigger on some Craster Kippers for tomorrow. Although it'll probably be for lunch by the time the postie turns up.

imitationleather

Once I cracked open an egg that was within it's expiry date and fucking hell. The white had turned black and it filled my entire flat with the smell of dreadful rotten eggs.

Couldn't eat eggs for a while after that and thinking about it still turns my stomach a bit. I wonder what had happened there.

I didn't eat the egg, by the way. I took the experience as a warning sign that it was probably unwise to. Call me a Nervous Nora if you like.

thenoise

Quote from: imitationleather on May 19, 2017, 04:50:47 PM
Once I cracked open an egg that was within it's expiry date and fucking hell. The white had turned black and it filled my entire flat with the smell of dreadful rotten eggs.

Couldn't eat eggs for a while after that and thinking about it still turns my stomach a bit. I wonder what had happened there.

I didn't eat the egg, by the way. I took the experience as a warning sign that it was probably unwise to. Call me a Nervous Nora if you like.

Probably had a crack in the shell you hadn't noticed.  Or it was just a bad egg.

The water/does it float trick should let you dispose of any rotten ones before you spoil the smell fo your bedsit for days and/or crack one into your food you have been cooking for an hour spoiling the lot.

I do find that keeping them in the fridge helps, I happily eat them for a week after the date on the box, and have never had any issues.

Jockice

Sugar Puffs (as with Marathons and Opal Fruits I refuse to call them anything else), a Ski strawberry mousse and the obligatory two pieces of cheese.

Mr Brightside

Quote from: Jockice on May 20, 2017, 11:02:11 AM
Sugar Puffs (as with Marathons and Opal Fruits I refuse to call them anything else), a Ski strawberry mousse and the obligatory two pieces of cheese.

What are Sugar Puffs called nowadays?

MuteBanana

Honey Monster Puffs because parents think honey sounds healthier than sugar.

First meal of the day is a homemade cold cure: 1/2 teaspoon Marmite, a knife's worth of English mustard, 1 garlic clove roughly chopped, generous shakes of turmeric, cinnamon and black pepper, plenty of honey. Just add hot water.

Jockice

Two Petits Filous yogs (one strawberry, one raspberry), a banana,  a Jordans Frusli bar and a bag of Seabrook cheese and onion crisps.

Sebastian Cobb

I wanted avo on toast but i'm all a bit new to this noise and I cut through the avodcado to find it was still not ripe so I bunged it in the microwave and it's slowly started to ripen but it's still wasn't ready so I've given it another bump and it's cooling. Fingers crossed.

MuteBanana

Three sausage sandwich with a hefty slice of butter*, ketchup, English mustard and black pepper.

*An entire block of butter needs to be eaten by the end of the month.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: MuteBanana on May 21, 2017, 01:35:55 PM
Three sausage sandwich with a hefty slice of butter*, ketchup, English mustard and black pepper.

*An entire block of butter needs to be eaten by the end of the month.

You could always cut some off, and keep it in the fridge as 'cooking butter'.

Failing that, a knob of butter in baked beans is lovely and you can put shitloads in mash

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on May 21, 2017, 04:10:38 PM
Failing that, a knob of butter in baked beans is lovely and you can put shitloads in mash

I remember Heston Blumenthal's ultimate spaghetti bolognese involved a bit of butter mixed into the sauce at the end. I can confirm that a knob of butter turns the most run of the mill shop bought bolognese sauce into a winner.

As for my breakfast, on weekdays it is usually.

A handful of unsalted cashews.
14 walnut halves.
A banana or two.
A giant mug of rooibos tea left to go tepid. (no milk or sugar)
A small handful of unsalted sunflower seeds.
An apple if there is one available.
If I can be arsed some Redy Brek or Weetabix with water instead of milk. (I'm off milk because I think it gives me bacne)

80% of the time that's what I'll have during the week. The other 20% I have either a couple of slices of white toast with butter and marmalade or nothing at all. Occasionally I can't be arsed with breakfast.

On weekends anything goes. Bacon and fried eggs with white toast, sausages. Cup 'o' builder's breakfast tea with almond milk and Tesco sweetener. If there's leftover pizza I'll bung that in the microwave, can't be bothered doing the frying pan thing. The diet goes to shit on the weekend.

Sebastian Cobb

Oh yeah you can make a quick pasta snack or slightly depressing meal by mixing butter, a spoonful of the pasta water and marmite or srirachia (BUT NOT BOTH).

MuteBanana

I'll definitely be adding butter to the stacks of value instant mash I've got.

Dex Sawash

Went to the strawberry patch* yesterday. Had gut-busting load of strawberries for breakfast today.

*not an euphemism

Jockice

A bowl of Jordans Original Crunch (with strawberries,  a strawberry Ski mousse, a satsuma and my two usual cheesy bits. Not a euphemism.

Bazooka

Today:

Smoothie made of frozen papaya and lychee(get bags of it in Lidle), water melon,a nectarine and a hole lime.
Coconut yogurt, raspberry yogurt.
Two feta and sweetcorn fritters with spring onion and chilli I made yesterday, really easy to make.
Bananna
Apple
Pear
Mixed nuts.

HappyTree

Twed

I had a crabstick sandwich. You can take the man out of Essex, but you can't... etc. etc.

Twed

Quote from: HappyTree on May 22, 2017, 09:08:47 PM
http://www.magiquiz.com/quiz/build-your-breakfast-and-well-tell-you-your-greatest-quality

I got told I am "family oriented". LOL.
I am 'ambitious'. They didn't even bother to call me 'ham-bitious'. I fucking hate this shitty wizard.

TrenterPercenter

Bazooks.

How do you make these feta and sweetcorn fritters?

thenoise

Quote from: MuteBanana on May 21, 2017, 01:35:55 PM
An entire block of butter needs to be eaten by the end of the month.

You can freeze butter btw.

Bazooka

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on May 22, 2017, 09:17:17 PM
Bazooks.

How do you make these feta and sweetcorn fritters?

Certainly sir/madam gather round, gather round

Ingredients:

1 x 340g tin of sweetcorn, drained
1 red chilli, deseeded or keep the seeds & chopped (I use 2 chilli's)
3 spring onions, finely chopped
75g feta, crumbled
75g self raising flour
1 egg
salt & pepper

Method:

Place sweetcorn, chilli, spring onion, feta, egg,flour & 50 ml water in a large bowl.
Season & mix together until it forms a batter
Heat oil in frying pan over medium heat.
Spoon small rounds of mixture into the frying pan.
Flip & brown on both sides.
Remove from pan & put on paper towels to drain off excess oil.
Serve fritters warm or cold.

Double up of the egg and flour if you want more.

MojoJojo

What do you do with the flour?

Bazooka

Quote from: MojoJojo on May 23, 2017, 12:26:31 PM
What do you do with the flour?

Have it for desert. I edited the post, mix everything into it in the bowl.

MuteBanana

Now that the weather has got warmer a hot breakfast isn't doing it for me.

Today: 4 chocolate Weetabix, 1 banana, 50g sultanas, 10g cocoa powder, cinnamon, 300ml milk. All mixed and mashed and stirred up into one lovely bowl of brown sludge. Delicious.

Bazooka

Protein drink, banana, smoothie(watermelon,1x kiwi,1x nectarine,1x flat peach, some grapes, 1 lime squeezed), three yogurts(banana,peach and strawberry with muesli and mixed nuts on top), will be followed with beef jerky. 

Norton Canes

Marmaladen Warburtons and a Value croissant.