Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 04:18:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Brighton summer meet?

Started by Vodka Margarine, April 12, 2017, 07:49:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

When?

Sat 17th June
0 (0%)
Sat 24th June
0 (0%)
Sat 1st July
0 (0%)
Sat 8th July
0 (0%)
Sat 15th July
0 (0%)
Sat 22nd July
0 (0%)
Sat 29th July
0 (0%)
Sat 5th Aug
0 (0%)
Sat 12th Aug
0 (0%)
Sat 19th Aug
0 (0%)
Sat 26th Aug
0 (0%)
Sat 2nd Sept
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Vodka Margarine

I couldn't help but notice the mild suggestion of one in another thread. I know it's only mid April but thought it might be best to get a discussion going now so we can 'flesh it out'.

May...? June...? July?

NoSleep

Brighton is a easy to get to for me as London (and easier for getting back). I don't know what the cost of a B&B is in Brighton but if we can decide a definite date early on then people can book them cheap if they want to come there from a distance. We did this for the Great Yarmouth meet (where we all met Waxwork Rene in the wax, so to speak) although Great Yarmouth is probably cheaper for such things anyway.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Vodka Margarine on April 12, 2017, 07:49:57 PM
I couldn't help but notice the mild suggestion of one in another thread.

Ha, yes, and I was definitely serious. As much as I ever know what the hell's going on employment-wise, I reckon pretty much any time is good for me.

jobotic

Siblings live in Brighton so I might be able to do this. Will depend on what's happening at home though so i won't get involved in any planning. [nb]how presumptous![/nb]

NoSleep

AllisonSays

I live in Brighton! But none of you can stay at my house, just to be clear.

Birdie

I'm in the UK in August- I think I could get to Brighton.

Icehaven

Do the 3 June then do facetime or Skype or whatever it is with us at the Brum one.

Vodka Margarine

Ha, I like the sound of that. Could do a mixed grill-off if we end up in a 'spoons.

NoSleep

Looks like there's two Wetherspoons that are central and convenient for the railway station:

The Bright Helm

The Post & Telegraph

Can anyone local give us the pros and cons of either?

Icehaven

I went to the one on a hill just up from the beach a few years ago when I was on holiday, and it was the most expensive Spoons I've ever been in, but still cheaper than anywhere else in Brighton. It was rammed with SPADs and journalists too as we accidentally went there at the same time as the Labour party conference. Also saw a woman nearly getting hit by a car as she ran across the street to tell a passing Ken Livingstone how great she thought he was.

Sgt. Duckie

I also live here. The Post and Telegraph is much better than the West Street Spoons. Anything on West Street is best avoided as it can get a bit aggressive down there of an evening.

NoSleep

Looks like it's The Post & Telegraph for us, then.

We Are Puppets

Me and Chrissiebrmc are interested; it's purely about the logistics of getting down there from t'North... I wish I'd never got the train to London a few years back, 'cos it meant I could never do it on the megabus again

Vodka Margarine

No competition when it comes to the 'spoons. It's not even a Sparks situation. Post and Telegraph all the way.

ZoyzaSorris

As a native Brightonian I should really do this. Whats the fascination with Wetherspoons? Spacious and cheap?
The idea of a CaB meet on West Street tickles me, an uncomfortable juxtaposition to be sure.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: ZoyzaSorris on April 14, 2017, 07:10:31 AMWhats the fascination with Wetherspoons? Spacious and cheap?

Basically, yes.

Johnny Caramel

Caramel's Balls?

Anyone?

Anyone at all?

Johnny Caramel

Vodka Margarine

*bump*

Probably time we started getting this sorted now. I've arbitrarily decided to focus on June, unless it's fantastically inconvenient for others. Saturdays traditionally seem to be the best day, so here's a poor man's poll. Vote....

Sat 3 June
Sat 10 June
Sat 17 June
Sat 24 June
Sat 1 July

The venue will more than likely be the Post and Telegraph (the least worst Brighton 'spoons) unless we're lucky with the weather, in which case - beach? Who knows.

Utter Shit

Oh so Utter Shit moves out of Brighton and suddenly there's a Brighton meet? Shameless scum bags.

Vodka Margarine

Don't tell me you've moved to Newcastle like some kind of fiend.

chrissiebrmc

Ray Travez and I would like to come if we can. June 3rd would be our preferred date.

Johnny Yesno

I think I can make any of those dates. Why the 'Spoons, though? Is it the price of a pint?

NoSleep

Probably floorspace as well. I know there's some other nice pubs in Brighton but some of them are a bit of a squeeze. Cheap and spacious is what we're looking for.

Johnny Yesno

The Black Lion and The Mesmerist are pretty large, as well as being pretty central and near the seafront. Nicer than the Spoons but pricier.

NoSleep

Johnny Yesno

Guess so. I've not been in the Post and Telegraph but I have been in the large West Street Spoons on a Saturday afternoon and been unable to get a seat.

Vodka Margarine

Yeah, value and space is the reasoning behind it, as with most other meets up and down the land. I'm not sure if they allow people to book tables but I'll give them try when we have a clearer idea of the date and number of people confirmed.

NoSleep

It's worth checking ahead. I know that people do book tables in Wetherspoon pubs because we've been turfed out of reserved areas at meets at the Penderel's Oak.