Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 12:05:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Better quality copies of TMWRNJ

Started by Alberon, April 12, 2017, 11:09:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alberon

The copies of Lee and Herring's This Morning With Richard Not Judy on that there internet aren't that good, and unfortunately there's no DVD in the pipeline. So, badgered into it by Madhair60, I've finally got round to something I've been meaning to get around to for ages. Which is making MKV files from my VHS copies. The first one I've done, which is Series 1 episode 2 for no good reason, I've also stuck up on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vp9L2OtMCtY

The quality isn't going to anywhere near as good as the master tapes, obviously, but it is somewhat better than what was around before. Once I have all of it converted to MKV I'll find some filesharing site to stick it on.

Rich Uncle Skeleton

Good stuff! Thank you for uploading, good excuse to give them all a watch again.

JoeyBananaduck

This is excellent. Thanks a lot, and hello.

Alberon

Second one (which is actually the first episode) is now up.

https://youtu.be/8UnT0fpX0DU

Slightly lower quality than the first as it is from a 2nd generation video copy. I was in the audience so had the thing set up on timer record on my video and then copied across to the tape I put them on. The others were just recorded directly to that tape. That's why this is in mono rather than stereo as I only had one stereo VCR.

Captain Z

Thanks! Shamefully I only got round to watching TMWRNJ for the first time last year, but I shall definitely give these a re-watch.

tubularnametag

Fair warning if you're doing these through YT, the Kinks music in the very last episode of series 2 normally gets the show blocked, so you may have to edit it or find other means (just remembering someone complaining about that with previous uploads)

Alberon

I've already had one notice from YouTube that the second episode[nb]but the first one I posted.[nb]This is getting confusing.[/nb][/nb] had copyrighted music in so adverts might pop-up over that section and profits from that would go to the rights holders.

The bit of music in question is the bit playing behind the Gnats footage of When Insects Attack.

So I might have to edit (or mute) on YouTube any bits that might get it blocked, but the MKV files, when I put them up, will be completely uncensored.

Shit Good Nose

Do the BBC still hold the rights to the show, or did they/Herring manage to scrape together enough funds to buy it?

I know the last few times I saw Herring he brought it up every single time and said "a DVD IS on the way, I promise", and the very last time I saw him he/they'd got enough money to buy the show but needed more to produce the DVD.  But that was two or three years ago.

ajsmith

Quote from: tubularnametag on April 13, 2017, 12:10:15 PM
Fair warning if you're doing these through YT, the Kinks music in the very last episode of series 2 normally gets the show blocked, so you may have to edit it or find other means (just remembering someone complaining about that with previous uploads)

What Kinks song is used and in what context? Don't remember that, and I'm a big fan so I thought I would have done if I'd seen it. Now wondering if the only versions of the last episode of series 2 I've seen are edited to remove that bit.

tubularnametag

It might not have been the Kinks, but I think it's the Trevor and Nathalie segment - it's been ages sine I watched, so it's all half remembered, but they did play in something that seems to always get a copyright claim in that last episode.

Brundle-Fly

It was mostly Richard Thomas's music or cover versions in the show but was the original Zager & Evans ' In The Year 2525 used for Nostradamus bit? I can't recall.

Will The Fall's publishers kick up a fuss about The Curious Orange's intro?

And Turning Japanese by The Vapors was definitely used for the theme tune to Angus Deayton's Authorised History Of Alternative Comedy (with Angus Deayton) in S2.  Oo, and I suspect Extra Final Scene (from S2 also) could be a minefield.

There will be a few original tracks dotted around both series. Tubthumping by Chumbawamba for one, off the top of my head.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on April 13, 2017, 12:22:22 PM
Do the BBC still hold the rights to the show, or did they/Herring manage to scrape together enough funds to buy it?

I know the last few times I saw Herring he brought it up every single time and said "a DVD IS on the way, I promise", and the very last time I saw him he/they'd got enough money to buy the show but needed more to produce the DVD.  But that was two or three years ago.

Herring has latterly been saying that the DVD of TMWRNJ will never happen, though I'm not entirely sure why:

QuoteWill there be a DVD of TMWRNJ?

We purchased Fist of Fun from the BBC and both series are now available from Go Faster Stripe. Alas for various reasons the negotiations to do TMWRNJ in the same way fell through and it is now not going to happen. But you can watch all the episodes on Youtube

From here - http://www.richardherring.com/faq/.

QuoteThe DVD of cult favourite This Morning With Richard Not Judy will probably never be released, star Richard Herring has announced.

He had been working on securing the rights to the 1990s BBC Two show he made with Stewart Lee. But last night he tweeted to his 153,000 followers that the planned release was off: 'The reasons are too complex/depressing to relate.

'I am as upset about it as you. But it's over. Let's look to the future and bury the past.

'I'm afraid there is no solution to this problem, folks, It's not happening and I doubt it ever will, Nothing you or I can do about it.'

Herring declined to go into any further detail.

From here - http://www.chortle.co.uk/news/2015/02/05/21789/lee_%26_herring_show_will_never_be_released.

There's been a thread about it on CaB as well - http://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,44176.0.html - some speculation that Stewart Lee put the kibosh on it as a Herring vanity project due to the rights being significantly more expensive than those of FoF.

Thanks for getting on this, Alberon.

acrow

i'll definitely grab these when available. thanks a lot for the effort.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: touchingcloth on April 13, 2017, 12:57:48 PM

Thanks.

Not sure I buy into the Stew speculation as he was also talking it up around the same time RH was, albeit it sounded like Rich was doing most or all of the work.

But heigh-ho - never actually been a huge fan of TMWRNJ, despite several attempts.  Was just curious really.

Replies From View

JamesTC

A damn shame it isn't available in high quality in any format. Even on the BBC Store. Especially since the only reason I paid so much for Fist of Fun Series 1 and 2 by getting them on release was to increase the chances of TMWRNJ which I consider far better.

Thanks very much for this Alberon. I look forward to downloading them all and watching through them again. Comparing the quality of the two current copies out there with the two you have put up are night and day.

madhair60

Edley

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on April 13, 2017, 01:04:43 PM
Not sure I buy into the Stew speculation as he was also talking it up around the same time RH was, albeit it sounded like Rich was doing most or all of the work.

From the man himself:

Quote from: a 1930s newspaper cartoon of Tarzan's faceSaying that it'll never be released would be slightly melodramatic, but at the moment I don't want to put the required money in. I've got a mortgage and kids and it seems like funding a vanity project.

There are various things that have to be done to raise money for it, like old live stuff that was going to be released. But I wasn't very happy with that, and there were other people that had performed in it who hadn't yet been asked whether they were happy about it. The BBC also wouldn't give us download rights, which is a big part of how you make your money back now. As the years go by, physical media sells less.

I wouldn't think it's over but it's not happening right now. Maybe the fact that even we won't buy it will drive the price down! So someone will be able to get it for a lot less now, if they want it.

But it hasn't been destroyed. What's good is that, because there was some interest in it, it's been moved out of the room destined for landfill. And it's all up on the internet, so that's good.

But I was sort of surprised that Rich wanted to spend the money on it, having just lost £30,000 in Edinburgh with Avalon, and about to have a kid. We would probably have made the money back in the end, because we did with the other one, but the production costs would be more because there's so much of it, about twenty hours. It's like I, Claudius or something. But it'll turn up eventually, like a dog returning to its own vomit (laughs).

http://www.mustardweb.org/stewartlee/#fist

Small Man Big Horse

QuoteI've got a mortgage and kids and it seems like funding a vanity project.

That's obviously completely fair enough, kids are ridiculously expensive things these days, but I'm amazed he's still got a mortgage considering the four seasons of Comedy Vehicle and the fact that he tours so much. Plus there's the books and live dvds, and all the money Christie brings in too.

Rich Uncle Skeleton

I know Stewart Lee doesn't do catchphrases but christ, "I've got kids and a mortgage"' has come fucking close this last year or so.

Alberon

Episodes 3 and 4 are now up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOsKpFdGi1A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nc0VR9woYbw

As for Lee and his mortgage I suppose it depends on how big his house is and where he lives. I wonder what he actually earns in a year?

marquis_de_sad

Quote from: Alberon on April 14, 2017, 01:19:04 PMAs for Lee and his mortgage I suppose it depends on how big his house is and where he lives. I wonder what he actually earns in a year?

It depends on whether you're talking about Stewart Lee the character or Stewart Lee the highly successful and wealthy comedian.

Pranet

I once got a proper ticking off on here for speculating on how much comedians earned. "The most distasteful thread I've read on this forum" or something like that.

I do wonder if there is a bit of the old school fear about it all going away with Lee, like people like Ken Dodd or Frankie Howard had. I'm not saying he is a tax dodger mind.

Rich Uncle Skeleton

Quote from: Alberon on April 14, 2017, 01:19:04 PM
Episodes 3 and 4 are now up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOsKpFdGi1A

Oh great! Episode 3 is one of my favourites. Old king Chris was hands down the best King Of The Show. His answer to what they drank in the old days before slush puppies is brilliant.

Huxwell

I re-watched the TMWRNJ RHLSTP yesterday. Gee, I forgot how awkward that was at times. Rich looks so sad in the pre and post video inserts.

Alberon

Episodes 5 and 6 are up

https://youtu.be/UGYWOYg2Rnw

https://youtu.be/ttAXsn_fpVw

Episode 6 has audio and video problems at the start due to damage on the VHS tape which I can't do anything about. They do settle down as the episode progresses.

DrGreggles

Thanks for these. I think I've bailed on previous TMWRNJ rewatches due to the crappy quality of the videos.

I'd forgotten how bloody nuts this show was.

Rich Uncle Skeleton

Quote from: Huxwell on April 16, 2017, 09:04:48 AM
I re-watched the TMWRNJ RHLSTP yesterday. Gee, I forgot how awkward that was at times. Rich looks so sad in the pre and post video inserts.

Yeah it's a pretty miserable watch. Wasn't there a really uncomfortable chunk removed from the interview too?

DrGreggles

Quote from: Rich Uncle Skeleton on April 17, 2017, 10:26:36 AM
Yeah it's a pretty miserable watch. Wasn't there a really uncomfortable chunk removed from the interview too?

I think Stew was criticising Avalon, who Rich is managed by.
To be fair, I think he was genuinely concerned about the hit that Rich had taken at that year's Fringe.

Huxwell

I thought a bootleg audio of that bit that was cut out would show up but I don't think it ever did.