Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 03:32:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Doctor Who - Series 10 (Part 2)

Started by Replies From View, April 15, 2017, 06:09:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jerzy Bondov

Yeah, dead good. Bill is great. Looking forward to the rest of the series.

Serge

OK, here's a completely mad thought, based on the trailer -
Spoiler alert
what if Capaldi does regenerate at the end of episode twelve, and they've signed up a MASSIVELY BIG NAME to play The Doctor for one episode at Christmas before he gets killed again after one episode to regenerate into whoever Chibnall wants? Makes no sense whatsoever - it'd be a waste of a regeneration, though they wouldn't have to worry about the repercussions of that for decades, and it would be an odd way for Moffat to bow out - but given that they bought John Hurt in for one episode, not entirely impossible. They could then go with: MICHAEL CAINE (or whoever) IS THE DOCTOR as the hook for the Chrsitmas episode.
[close]
Not likely, but I wouldn't put it past them.

kidsick5000

That was the best I've seen Capaldi. Spikey but not playing it as a grumpy old man. There's that Doctory spark. They've also worked out how to give him a few decent hero shots, rather than letting him just shoot him as any other character.

Pearl M was good too and good to see a return to chips. The show needed a grounding element and you can beat chips for that.

That said, what's the promise about not getting another companion?

Quote from: Serge on April 15, 2017, 09:05:49 PM
Spoiler alert
what if Capaldi does regenerate at the end of episode twelve, and they've signed up a MASSIVELY BIG NAME to play The Doctor for one episode at Christmas before he gets killed again after one episode to regenerate into whoever Chibnall wants? Makes no sense whatsoever - it'd be a waste of a regeneration, though they wouldn't have to worry about the repercussions of that for decades, and it would be an odd way for Moffat to bow out - but given that they bought John Hurt in for one episode, not entirely impossible. They could then go with: MICHAEL CAINE (or whoever) IS THE DOCTOR as the hook for the Chrsitmas episode.
[close]

That would be great.
Spoiler alert
"You're only meant to blow the bloody Davros!"
[close]

BritishHobo

Quote from: Serge on April 15, 2017, 09:05:49 PM
Spoiler alert
[close]

It does seem a Moffat-y thing to do to
Spoiler alert
slip in one more Doctor
[close]
. I could definitely see it.

biggytitbo

The plot was recycled Moffat, but it started tonally quite refreshingly low key and a bit spooky. It ended a mess that made no sense. Why were the Daleks even in this? Bill seems quite good so far, we'll see how it develops.

Small Man Big Horse

I really enjoyed it too, yeah there was the odd dodgy bit (as mentioned earlier, Matt Lucas's "I'd leave that for five minutes" joke was a poor one and I'd expect more from Moffat), but otherwise it was really likeable, the water monster was cool, Bill seems much much better than that first clip suggested, and just not having Clara in the show makes it 50% better than the previous few seasons have been. And I liked how richly lit and colourful it looked as well, and hope that it makes it more popular with the kids again.

Quote from: biggytitbo on April 15, 2017, 09:16:47 PM
Why were the Daleks even in this?

The Doctor presumed they'd be able to kill the water monster.

biggytitbo

What did he say, the fiercest fire in the universe or something? It's just a standard space laser they have, what's he on about? Crowbarred in for no reason at all! Mind you if that means we don't get them again in the rest of the series then good.

Deanjam

They've upgraded to the Fierce-Fire 5000.

Serge

Quote from: Talulah, really! on April 15, 2017, 08:47:01 PMBeethoven's Fifth wasn't it?

Boh. Of course.

Was there any significance to the Rembrandt self-portrait on his study wall?

Black Ship

Quote from: Deanjam on April 15, 2017, 08:38:10 PM
Couple of spoilery images from the coming soon bit.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C9egkJTXkAAj-JU.jpg

Spoiler alert
Didn't know Thom Yorke was in this series of Doctor Who?
[close]

Dusty Gozongas

Bill did well there holding that shit in when things got scary. 10/10

biggytitbo

That vault stuff is presumably going to be revisited later in the series? What's in there? Clearly it's the 13th Doctor -
Spoiler alert
Su Pollard
[close]

Catalogue Trousers

No, the next Doctor is going to be Matt Lucas. Like Cho-Je and the Watcher, he's the next embodiment hiding in plain sight. This is why Nardole is an anagram of Dr Alone.

Any way. This was great. Anyone who disagrees is wrong. Kudos to Murray for writing some decent blummen music for once, too.

mothman

To repeat what most have been saying... I enjoyed that.

It was proper scary at times - my 12yo kept saying she was finding it scary, and she screamed when the hand came out of the puddle in the quarry. Put her right off her sausage & mash, that did.

Plus, I like there was mystery. How long has the Doctor been at that Uni, and why? What's in the Vault? Who (heh heh) did he make that promise, presumably not to have more Companions, to? How does he know Bill's mother? Does he know he knows Bill's mother?I'm guessing he does - and that's why he got her, of all those who attend his lectures when they shouldn't be, in to quiz her about it. I'm not going to obsess too much about Nardole being initially in need of maintenance, then never show it again - it's another nice way of showing the passage of time: presumably he mentioned it to the Doctor and he gave him his once-a-decade service or whatever.

The "fiercest fire" line was maybe a but too metaphorical: it's obvious he meant, when you need to kill something, take it to the one race that know more about killing that anything else.

And I liked how Capaldi was playing it. Maybe a bit lower-key that he did initially. But also more assured - I loved the way he introduced the the TARDIS. A bit cocky, but proud too. It may be too little too late, posterity will probably always hold that his tenure maybe wasn't as good as it could have been, but he's still good to watch.

And I liked Bill. Her sexuality was actually handled in a pretty organic, natural way. She's not the first gay character they've ever had, and often when they have made out someone is gay it's felt heavy-handed and shoe-horned in Because Diversity.She had some good lines, and her question why the TARDIS has a name based on an English-language acronym was a favourite. I'm now thinking of some AIDS/SIDA-style alternatives...

The nusic was very different as well. I actually checked at the end to see who was doing it, surprised to see it's still Murray Gold.

Catalogue Trousers

Yes. So refreshing not to hear sub-Wallace And Gromit parpy brass crap whenever anything even vaguely funny happened or 'OMG isnt the Doctor so AWESOME' choral crud.

Natnar

Quote from: mothman on April 15, 2017, 10:07:59 PM
How does he know Bill's mother? Does he know he knows Bill's mother?

I think the implication was that The Doctor went back to take some pictures of Bill's mum after Bill had told him that she didn't have many pictures of her, hence the box of pictures that were suddenly unearthed in her house. I don't think The Doctor is interested in Bill because he knew her mum, it's the other way around.

Urinal Cake

it was decent. Bill was good as expected. The acting has never really been a problem. It's characterization and the plot. Clara was Moffat's Mary Sue.

Riz Ahmed would make a good doctor, though he might be busy chasing movies.

biggytitbo

The Sun seem to think Kris Marshal is the new Doctor and has already taken over. Interesting that Capaldi said he'd already filmed his regeneration even though he still has to go back to do the Christmas special. Moffat perhaps has some time wimey craziness to go out on.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: biggytitbo on April 15, 2017, 10:42:29 PM
The Sun seem to think Kris Marshal is the new Doctor and has already taken over. Interesting that Capaldi said he'd already filmed his regeneration even though he still has to go back to do the Christmas special. Moffat perhaps has some time wimey craziness to go out on.

Possibly, and I wouldn't be adverse to that, but they might've done the regeneration this early on (and on a closed set where no one involved has leaked the casting) so that they can drag out the reveal of who the next Doctor is for much much longer.

MuteBanana

Absolutely no to the Riz Ahmed suggestions.

I was disappointed Bill never brought up or even reacted really to the Doctor taking photos of her Mum. What is it she thought she saw then?

I watched a Youtube video suggest Tom Ellis of Lucifer fame could be the next Doctor. I think Kris Marshall though.

Catalogue Trousers

What she saw was basically confirmation that it was the Doc taking the photos. You see his face partially reflected in a mirror.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: MuteBanana on April 15, 2017, 10:50:21 PM
I watched a Youtube video suggest Tom Ellis of Lucifer fame could be the next Doctor. I think Kris Marshall though.

Lucifer's already been renewed for a third season so there's no way Ellis could do that and Who. And despite the bookies love for him (and hence The Sun and The Mail predicting he'll be the next Doctor) I think Marshall might be a bit too old already, he's 44 now and I have a feeling the beeb will go for someone younger and prettier.

MuteBanana

Quote from: Catalogue Trousers on April 15, 2017, 10:52:55 PM
What she saw was basically confirmation that it was the Doc taking the photos. You see his face partially reflected in a mirror.

So if she saw that why not freak out and say something? Like 'Are you my biological Dad?' or 'How do you know my mother?'

MuteBanana

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on April 15, 2017, 10:56:01 PM
Lucifer's already been renewed for a third season so there's no way Ellis could do that and Who. And despite the bookies love for him (and hence The Sun and The Mail predicting he'll be the next Doctor) I think Marshall might be a bit too old already, he's 44 now and I have a feeling the beeb will go for someone younger and prettier.

Ah didn't know that about Lucifer.

Marshall is quite boyish and youthful though.

Urinal Cake

mothman

Quote from: Natnar on April 15, 2017, 10:33:07 PM
I think the implication was that The Doctor went back to take some pictures of Bill's mum after Bill had told him that she didn't have many pictures of her, hence the box of pictures that were suddenly unearthed in her house. I don't think The Doctor is interested in Bill because he knew her mum, it's the other way around.

Ah, that makes sense, thanks.

Kelvin

Quote from: MuteBanana on April 15, 2017, 10:50:21 PM
I was disappointed Bill never brought up or even reacted really to the Doctor taking photos of her Mum. What is it she thought she saw then?

That's a really good point. I know it's going to come up later, but it really does feel like an odd thing not to address immediately in some way.

3D

The last person to attend a Peter Capaldi uni event unbidden was Mark Corrigan.

It was OK... I liked the "It travels all over the university?" line and the reveal of the TARDIS.

MuteBanana

Trying to imagine which pair of Peep Show characters would be best travelling with Capaldi's Who across the universe.

Mister Six

Moffat used to recycle his own writing - now he's recycling other people's. The chips/lectures stuff was straight out of the start of Rose, and the 'villain' was basically a reworking of the timeship from The Lodger.

But never mind - it was a decent ep, and if it were a first proper pilot it would be a great start. The 'promise' and the big ol' vault are both promising potential arc plots, and I liked that Moffat ditched his usual whiz-bang-don't-think-about-it nonsense for something a bit more measured in its pace. Effects were decent too, and I liked the look of the spooky alien planet in the year 23 million.

It wasn't quite as funny as I expected, although it still managed to get a couple of good laughs out of me and Mrs Six.

The only real downer was Nardole, who didn't really seem to serve much purpose other than to inject himself unnecessarily into moments that didn't need him. I generally like Matt Lucas and enjoyed the character previously, but I'm a bit concerned that he doesn't serve much actual purpose within the episodes themselves. Oddly enough, I'd rather like to get an episode about him and his planet, and what exactly he's doing with The Doctor - he seems more mysterious than the titular character at the minute.

EDIT: Bill is great by the way. Not a smarmy know-it-all but also not as thick as she seemed in the previews. And the actress is really great. Wish we'd had he found the past three years instead of Clara.