Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 05:56:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shameless

Started by Mini, April 17, 2017, 05:40:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mini

I'm currently re-watching Shameless (the original) before I start on the American remake, but I don't really fancy watching all 11 series again because it definitely goes downhill. So where should I cut and run? When Lip leaves? When Ian leaves? When Debbie leaves? Does anyone have any opinions or clue what I'm talking about?

Custard

Series 1 to 5, then run for the hills, as it gets very bad very quickly

Mini

Quote from: Shameless Custard on April 17, 2017, 06:50:13 PM
Series 1 to 5, then run for the hills, as it gets very bad very quickly

That seems sensible, thanks! If memory serves, by series 5 it's just starting to become The Mimi and Paddy Show but still good. After that not so much.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Mini on April 19, 2017, 11:42:36 PM
That seems sensible, thanks! If memory serves, by series 5 it's just starting to become The Mimi and Paddy Show but still good. After that not so much.

I'm just going through the list of episodes on wikipedia as my memory's shite and it seems I bailed around the start of season seven, but I don't think you'd miss anything if you just watched the first four seasons, the fifth isn't bad but it's not as strong as the others. And as Mr Custard says, it gets pretty horrendous from that point on. I've been reading some of the episode descriptions for the later seasons and they seem ridiculously naff, with a drug deal gone wrong or a murder in almost every other episode.

Mini

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on April 20, 2017, 12:40:53 AM
I'm just going through the list of episodes on wikipedia as my memory's shite and it seems I bailed around the start of season seven, but I don't think you'd miss anything if you just watched the first four seasons, the fifth isn't bad but it's not as strong as the others. And as Mr Custard says, it gets pretty horrendous from that point on. I've been reading some of the episode descriptions for the later seasons and they seem ridiculously naff, with a drug deal gone wrong or a murder in almost every other episode.

Admittedly I did enjoy the later series first time round, but yes, naff is the word. I wouldn't watch them again.

Also series 5 is 16 episodes long which seems excessive. Maybe I'll do 1-4, Lip's departure would make a nice cut-off point.

Noodle Lizard

Kev & Veronica leaving was pretty much the end of it, I reckon.  The McGuires going from being a truly terrifying (and fairly realistic) presence under the surface to a comic-relief chav family at the forefront of everything - it became really awful.

Gulftastic

Indeed, especially once the Father left. Entire unbearable episodes centered around the awful Mother and
Spoiler alert
her fucking idiot toy boy
[close]

Mini

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on April 20, 2017, 08:08:54 AM
Kev & Veronica leaving was pretty much the end of it, I reckon.  The McGuires going from being a truly terrifying (and fairly realistic) presence under the surface to a comic-relief chav family at the forefront of everything - it became really awful.

So series 3? Mind you, Shane Maguire is one of my favourite characters so I'll probably have to watch 4.

Black_Bart

I liked it when it was Rab C Nesbitt, then Paul Calf.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Mini on April 20, 2017, 10:06:08 AM
So series 3? Mind you, Shane Maguire is one of my favourite characters so I'll probably have to watch 4.

I remember 4 being tolerable enough, but I didn't have much respect for the show by the time that one was over.  There's this dreadful love story between the Maggie Gyllenhaal-esque girl (Karen?) and that Fit Maguire straight off Hollyoaks which absolutely stunk, but I can't remember if that started in series 4 or later on.

Also, as much as I like Norma, she was really much more effective in small doses.  Once they brought back her and the mum more permanently, it was shit.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

I think the absolute nadir of the program was seeing Mrs Doyle stark bollock naked, rutting angrily with Frank Gallagher. Nobody needed to see that, and it's tainted any future viewings of Father Ted forevermore.

Custard

Plus the two of them were apparently having a real life affair, as blokey tried to Super-Injunction it

Take that thought with you through the day

Hat FM

what happened to paddy maguire? think i stopped watching around series 5 or 6 due to immense boredom.

Puce Moment

This doesn't help you but I've just started watching the US version and I can tell already that it doesn't quite have the charm of those early UK episodes, but clearly is going to have great deal more longevity and quality control.

Gulftastic

Quote from: Hat FM on April 20, 2017, 04:13:40 PM
what happened to paddy maguire? think i stopped watching around series 5 or 6 due to immense boredom.

Rumours at the time of his leaving said that he could not stand the woman playing his wife, and that was a big part of his decision to leave.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Quote from: Gulftastic on April 20, 2017, 06:40:02 PM
Rumours at the time of his leaving said that he could not stand the woman playing his wife, and that was a big part of his decision to leave.

Doesn't surprise me. Apparently she's exactly the same in real life as the character, i.e belligerent, obnoxious and excessively Scouse.

Mini

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on April 20, 2017, 07:26:38 PM
Doesn't surprise me. Apparently she's exactly the same in real life as the character, i.e belligerent, obnoxious and excessively Scouse.

Then she went on Celebrity Big Brother with Coolio and someone off of the Sugababes.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Oof. Some rather grim photos there. It doesn't help that​ she seems to have rather a large head, or face, I dunno exactly.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Shameless was utter shite from the start, and I'd advise anyone reading this thread to give it a wide berth.

MuteBanana

Just watch until Kev and Veronica leave and then switch to the American version.

Dr Syntax Head

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on April 22, 2017, 07:53:35 AM
Shameless was utter shite from the start, and I'd advise anyone reading this thread to give it a wide berth.

Nah the first couple of seasons were good and better than watching Eastenders

Mini

I'm a few episodes into series 4 and it definitely no longer resembles a real council estate. The two-dimensional secondary comedy characters are becoming the main characters and Sheila just threw kitchen knives at Frank and they stuck in the door either side of his head. I think I'll cut my losses at the end of this series.

MuteBanana

Great. Get on the American version now. It does copy the original for a bit but soon finds its own way. I think the kids are much better, Kev and Veronica are a riot just like the originals. Anne Marie Duff, Emmy Rossum? Eh both good.

Jockice

MuteBanana

Quote from: Gulftastic on April 20, 2017, 06:40:02 PM

Just remembered that actor played the son of the dead Alan Partridge in KMKYWAP. The one who liked Baywatch and had a temper.

Mini

Now they've stolen thousands of scratch cards from the Maguires, who happen to live next door and are prone to cutting people's hands off. Not exactly a relatable problem.