Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 01:36:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Leftovers [Season 3]

Started by Ja'moke, April 18, 2017, 12:12:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ja'moke

Returned last night in America. Final season. I bloody love this show. And I'm glad HBO have given them chance to wrap things up despite the previous two seasons having shockingly low ratings.

First episode was typically ominous with plenty of intrigue. Killer soundtrack as always too.

Puce Moment

Really my favourite TV drama since, probably, The Wire. I fucking love it, and adore its ability to never, ever explain its own internal or external logic. The whole show is built on a kind of weird cognitive dissonance where we just accept extraordinary events and unexplained character motivation, rather like all the characters after the original event.

I really liked this season opener. The bonkers historical opening, normal life continuing, that fucking horrible bag over the head scene, and a completely disarming ending. I had assumed that the person with the doves was Kevin's Father.

amnesiac

Also one of my favourite ever long-form TV series. I just love how fucking BLEAK it is. I'm glad they managed to wangle the green light for a S3 because it's a very, very odd show indeed, more Netflix than even HBO.

Ja'moke

Even though it is BLEAK, I like how they've started dropping more humour into it. The Gary Busey and "paw" lines being stand outs this episode.

Puce Moment

I watched the final episode of the previous season just prior to watching this season 3 opener, and I have to say it is fucking brilliant. The moment when he realises he is back in the hotel and that music kicks back in is wonderfully timed.

I would say that although shows like Twin Peaks, The Sopranos and Breaking Bad really used sound well, for me The Leftovers is the show that really excels at sound designed that is weaved into the action of the drama.

Moribunderast

Normally I refuse to watch a season of a tv drama while it airs, preferring to binge once it's all done. The Leftovers, however, is so rich that I find it necessary to watch week-by-week with time to digest and think about it. It truly is a phenomenal show. The opening of season 3 was thrilling and spellbinding, much like how they began season 2. I love the recurring piano theme, also. Got goosebumps the moment it reared it's head toward the end of that opening sequence.

Ja'moke

Another fantastic episode. I need me a trampoline and some Wu Tang Clan!

Gulftastic

I marked out for the Perfect Strangers theme, then having Cousin Larry appear was even better!

Puce Moment

Fucking brilliant, as usual. Nothing much more to say other than to reiterate how much I love this. Grown up TV that is a real antidote to the constant barrage of stupid TV drama for the infantilised.

Ja'moke

Loved this shot from the latest episode...

Gulftastic

Matt and 'God' was an amazing scene. I felt like I was holding my breath through the whole thing.

hewantstolurkatad

2 episodes left, I think?

Last episode was probably the best of the season so far, basically Laurie going around giving everyone therapy sessions.

Find it very hard to imagine there being many shows like this with its production values and cast made again, it's evolved into such a weird thing. I'm glad it's ending before it gets kinda by-the-numbers (for a show that follows a pretty repetitive structure episode by episode, this would've been inevitable) but I'm gonna miss it.

I'll take an album of all those Dona Nobis Pacem variants in the soundtrack too, please.

kittens

just finished watching this. best show i ever seen. fucking effin wicked lads