Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 12:41:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Theresa May - Downing St. announcement at 11.15am

Started by Porter Dimi, April 18, 2017, 10:09:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Porter Dimi

EDIT: GENERAL ELECTION FEVER THREAD

Quincey

"It was a prank" giggles a cadaverous-looking May to the world's press.

Blinder Data

Hmmm. Have the Tories been scared into calling an election based on Labour's recent policy blitz? Apparently Lynton Crosby has been seen in and out of Tory HQ.

They said they wouldn't do a snap election and I don't think Theresa May would be flexible on something like that.

I reckon it's a military thing.

Paul Calf

Quote from: Quincey on April 18, 2017, 10:14:01 AM
"It was a prank" giggles a cadaverous-looking May to the world's press.

Does she have any other look?

Liz has carked it, I reckon.

Paul Calf

Beagle 2

Can't see it being a general erection. Hope it's not a military thing. Fingers crossed for a windsorcark.

Neville Chamberlain

Is she going to announce a new series of Happy Valley? That'd make my day, that would!

Wet Blanket

Stepping down due to ill health? She looks rough as fuck doesn't she?

MoonDust

"As a vicar's daughter, I feel it's my duty to say I hope you all had a wonderful Easter."

Biggest anti-climax ever.

Fabian Thomsett

Blinder Data

MoonDust

The Irish Times last week said that loads of ministers have finally realised how fucking stupid Brexit will be, and that it'll be nothing more than an "act of self harm".

Maybe she'll be calling off Brexit?

Sounds daft but I can't think what else it'll be.

A snap general election will have to involve the repeal of the Fixed Term Parliament Act. I mean she could still be announcing that, but it seems it'll be a lot of faff to do between now and 4th May.

It's not going to be a war thing. The most I can see on that front is sending Navy ships to Korea or Syria in support of the US, but not an actual war declaration.

I also don't see any reason why she'd be resigning, other than secret ill health.

Calling off Brexit seems the most likely.

mrpupkin

Everyone would go fucking mental if they called off Brexit

imitationleather

It surely cannot be calling off Brexit. There is no way it is calling off Brexit.

I'm going for her standing down.

touchingcloth

Be good if she just came out onto the steps of No 10 wearing a mariner's cap and clutching a jam kettle and went "remind you of anybody?!" before going back inside to have some chips or a wank or whatever.

Herbert Ashe

https://twitter.com/carlgardner/status/854263452872974336

QuoteIf you're the PM and you want an election under the FTPA, here's how you do it.

No repeal of the FTPA needed, apaprently.

3D

Quote from: Paul Calf on April 18, 2017, 10:19:19 AM
ps: She can't call an early election.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fixed-term_Parliaments_Act_2011

She can if Labour support it. The implications for Labour if they don't want an election are quite damning for Corbyn. With the SNP likely to lose a few seats by simple dint of them having so many that would also undermine the case for a second referendum in Scotland.

MoonDust

Quote from: mrpupkin on April 18, 2017, 10:31:26 AM
Everyone would go fucking mental if they called off Brexit

True, people will go mental, but when push comes to shove, what's the better option for any government; purposefully wrecking the economy or purposefully making voters angry? Their interests are and always will be in the interests of business and the health of the economy. As something as serious as Brexit, if indeed all the facts point to Brexit inflicting economic chaos on the UK, I'm sure they'll opt not to do that, even if it means pissing voters off.

Fabian Thomsett

"The Queen has died in Gibraltar. I was going to declare war but I've just resigned and joined The Alliance for Worker's Liberty. Ta Ta!"

Beagle 2

She int gonna call off Brexit.

Maybe she's got a new pair of shoes, like really smart ones, say reebok pumps?

MoonDust

Quote from: Fabian Thomsett on April 18, 2017, 10:35:50 AM
"The Queen has died in Gibraltar. I was going to declare war but I've just resigned and joined The Alliance for Worker's Liberty. Ta Ta!"

That makes another possibility. Has the Queen carked it? Would the PM announce that or will the news? I guess there's no formal protocol of who breaks the news of a monarch's death, especially since the last monarch died in 1952 and media has changed a hell of a lot since then. Maybe May was told and she was like "don't let the media know, I'll say it first."

imitationleather

I did think the Queen may have died but the PM announcing it isn't how it is done.

Beagle 2

Quote from: 3D on April 18, 2017, 10:35:17 AM
She can if Labour support it. The implications for Labour if they don't want an election are quite damning for Corbyn. With the SNP likely to lose a few seats by simple dint of them having so many that would also undermine the case for a second referendum in Scotland.

Hmm, that's interesting. Christ though, more politics at this stage. I'd like to think we'd come out of the other end with things a bit more simplified at least, but that is just not the way things go any more.

MoonDust

QuoteBuckingham Palace has confirmed that the Queen is currently resident at Windsor Castle, my colleague Matthew Taylor reports.

Fuck it.

Don't care what the announcement is now.

3D

Quote from: MoonDust on April 18, 2017, 10:28:40 AM
Calling off Brexit seems the most likely.

I suppose it would depend upon how many street riots she wanted.

Dead Queen, resignation through ill health and snap election all seem quite plausible.

Blinder Data

If she resigns because she's ill she will instantly go down in history as one of our greatest short-lived PMs according to the arse-licking media.

Who are the alternatives? Boris?!

It probably is an election, isn't it. The announcement better be worth all this febrile speculation at least.

---

Election then?

Quote from: https://twitter.com/hzeffman/status/854268954566701056No black prime ministerial seal on May's lectern. Usually a signal that PM is making a party political statement...

Wet Blanket

Queen's alive and well according to the Grauniad, and in residence should anyone want to suggest to her that an early election goes ahead.

BlodwynPig

Just heard

Spoiler alert
Michael Gove
[close]
has passed
Spoiler alert
Bruce Forsyth on the great elevator to the sky hell
[close]