Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 03:42:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Theresa May - Downing St. announcement at 11.15am

Started by Porter Dimi, April 18, 2017, 10:09:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MoonDust

Quote from: 3D on April 18, 2017, 10:42:14 AM
I suppose it would depend upon how many street riots she wanted.

Dead Queen, resignation through ill health and snap election all seem quite plausible.

Okay, maybe calling off Brexit isn't the most likely, but I certainly don't see it as being that far-fetched. Like I said, no government will willingly damage their economy, potentially even crash their economy, if they can help it. And if ministers have concluded that there's absolutely no way around wrecking our economy if we leave the EU, then why would the government go ahead with it? It'll be pure stupidity and not really make political sense.

Neville Chamberlain

QuoteBuckingham Palace has confirmed that the Queen is currently performing with The Residents at Windsor Castle, my colleague Matthew Taylor reports.

MoonDust

Hey, I just quoted that ^.

Christ, it's as frantic as a newsroom here.

BlodwynPig

Just heard

N. Korea have a launched
Spoiler alert
their version of Psy's Gagnam Style
[close]
to hit the UK tomorrow

buttgammon

As we've established, she can't be calling an election immediately due to FTPA but she might be about to ask parliament to vote for one (it would require a two-thirds majority).

We've seen the lectern wheeled out in the street more and more lately, and I wonder if it's just her abusing it for something trivial, despite the fact that it's almost become the new 'we interrupt this programme for a news report'.

BlodwynPig

just heard

May has reviewed the footage and declared that
Spoiler alert
Luca Brecel's alleged push-shot was not a push-
[close]
shot

BlodwynPig

Quote from: buttgammon on April 18, 2017, 10:46:37 AM
As we've established, she can't be calling an election immediately due to FTPA but she might be about to ask parliament to vote for one (it would require a two-thirds majority).

We've seen the lectern wheeled out in the street more and more lately, and I wonder if it's just her abusing it for something trivial, despite the fact that it's almost become the new 'we interrupt this programme for a news report'.

Boring. All this asking parliament to vote is dull as dishwater.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: buttgammon on April 18, 2017, 10:46:37 AM

A vote of no confidence can do it as well IIRC. So essentially she could whip her own party into voting that against her.

Beagle 2

Just hearing the Queen is to live stream a longplay of Resident Evil 7 Biohazard this afternoon.

Dr Rock

Quincey

Will she declare herself Dictator for Life and form an alliance with North Korea?

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Blinder Data on April 18, 2017, 10:17:58 AM
They said they wouldn't do a snap election and I don't think Theresa May would be flexible on something like that.

Yeah, she's got so much past form in 'not going back on her word' hasn't she?

MoonDust

I just don't see a general election being likely given how close the council elections are.

Like has been noted, she'll have to first repeal the FTPA, which although is possible, will take time. It'll have to be debated in Parliament, then debated in the Lords. All of this might overshoot the 4th May.

Obviously she doesn't have to have a general election on 4th May, but it'll seem a bit too silly to have campaigning for the council elections and then suddenly have to campaign for a general election at such short notice.

If she was going to announce the repeal of the FTPA so she can call an early election, she'd have either already done that a few months ago, or she'd wait until after 4th May to see how well the Tories fair in the local elections.

buttgammon

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on April 18, 2017, 10:48:46 AM
A vote of no confidence can do it as well IIRC. So essentially she could whip her own party into voting that against her.

Yes, that would be an interesting possibility. Has any government anywhere ever previously deliberately tried to lose a vote of no confidence? Even if they failed, they could use it as an argument against FTPA as a 'look what it made us do' thing.

Fabian Thomsett

" I regret to inform you that Coronation Street is ending. Forever."

Neville Chamberlain

Quote from: Fabian Thomsett on April 18, 2017, 10:52:10 AM
" I regret to inform you that Coronation Street is ending. Forever."

Oh gawd, it'll be like when Tony Blair stood outside No. 10 and announced the termination of Brookside. Dark days, dark days :-(

thraxx

It's going to be an announcement for a new 'snooper squad' policy.  It's exactly the type of thing they should be doing.

Dr Syntax Head

Will 6 Music get interrupted for announcement? I hope that if it does it'll be just as that XX song starts because I hate that song and they play it too much.

SteveDave

"London Bridge is down, and it's so lonely on a limb"

pancreas

If she calls (for) a snap election then Brexit will be reversed. The Lib Dems will be in the next coalition and it will be a condition of forming a government that there's a second ref.

Jerzy Bondov

If it's anything interesting, it'll be announcing plans for a snap election. Otherwise it'll be some boring shite. Mark my words.

Or she's seen a funny jpg on an email and wants us to see it

Quote from: pancreas on April 18, 2017, 10:57:09 AM
If she calls (for) a snap election then Brexit will be reversed. The Lib Dems will be in the next coalition and it will be a condition of forming a government that there's a second ref.
Dream on. It'll be increased Tory majority and we all know it.

3D

Quote from: MoonDust on April 18, 2017, 10:44:31 AM
Okay, maybe calling off Brexit isn't the most likely, but I certainly don't see it as being that far-fetched. Like I said, no government will willingly damage their economy, potentially even crash their economy, if they can help it. And if ministers have concluded that there's absolutely no way around wrecking our economy if we leave the EU, then why would the government go ahead with it? It'll be pure stupidity and not really make political sense.

The economic news doesn't really bear out those gloomy forecasts.

No Downing Street seal on the lectern, so likely party political. Can't be dead Queen surely, as the press would have a sniff of it and already be going into announcement from Buckingham Palace mode. We'll see if the screens go to black in about two minutes.

Ill health seems less likely and if you don't go to the country with a twenty percent lead in the polls when do you go?

batwings

jobotic

I am honoured to have offered the North as a nuke testing ground for President Trump, who is wonderful. In exchange he has agreed to by the NHS for one pound.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Dr Syntax Head on April 18, 2017, 10:56:31 AM
Will 6 Music get interrupted for announcement? I hope that if it does it'll be just as that XX song starts because I hate that song and they play it too much.

Dunno, apparently if you hear sabres of paradise on R1 then something serious like the queen dying has happened.

Dr Rock

She won't be calling for a snap election, I reckon. She's got the top job and doesn't want to risk losing it however good the odds are that she wouldn't.

Rich Uncle Skeleton

Wondered about The Queen, but that long article about what happens when she dies seems to suggest that'll be announced differently.

I had a weird dream a few days after i read it. David Cameron was still PM, appearing at a school somewhere and had the news whispered in his ear. He tried announcing it to the class but got the London Bridge line wrong repeatedly and everyone laughed at him. Kids, teachers, journalists, the lot.

3D

Quote from: pancreas on April 18, 2017, 10:57:09 AM

The LDs are still polling between 7% to 11% depending on which poll you choose.

3D

Quote from: Rich Uncle Skeleton on April 18, 2017, 11:01:23 AM
Wondered about The Queen, but that long article about what happens when she dies seems to suggest that'll be announced differently.

I had a weird dream the a few days after i read it, David Cameron was still PM, appearing at a school somewhere and had the news whispered in his ear. He tried announcing it to the class but got the London Bridge line wrong repeatedly and everyone laughed at him. Kids, teachers, journalists, the lot.

I went to sleep listening to Athletico Mince the other night and dreamt I was having a chat with Bob Mortimer and he was pissing on my shoes. True story.