Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 08:18:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Election 2017: MEDIA WATCH.

Started by Absorb the anus burn, April 20, 2017, 09:01:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Absorb the anus burn

A thread to call out the media on their lies, smears and disinformation in the run up to the June 08th vote.

+++++

ANTI-CORBYN BIAS (part one)

The media bias against Jeremy Corbyn since September 2015 has been shocking - 'trumping' anything that was used against Miliband and Brown.

Here are some links to help explain what has been happening.... Open the links and see what Corbyn and Labour have been dealing with. Forward the links to your friends and family - add the graphics to your social media feeds - print them if you like and take them with you when you go canvassing..... Lots more to come.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/jeremy-corbyn-media-bias-attacks-75-per-cent-three-quarters-fail-to-accurately-report-a7140681.html

http://www.lse.ac.uk/media@lse/research/pdf/JeremyCorbyn/Cobyn-Report-FINAL.pdf

http://www.mediareform.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/Corbynresearch.pdf

https://www.opendemocracy.net/uk/greg-philo/is-britains-media-biased-against-left

Quincey

Guardian trying to destablise Corbyn by overreacting to Yvette Fucking Cooper doing well at PMQs: https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/apr/19/yvette-cooper-pmqs-labour-mps-theresa-may

QuoteLabour MPs heaped praise on Yvette Cooper's performance at prime minister's questions on Wednesday, during which the former shadow home secretary attacked Theresa May for breaking her promise not to hold a snap general election.

The whirlwind of supportive comments from Labour colleagues will fuel speculation the MP is already laying the ground for a second leadership bid, given the prevailing feeling in the parliamentary party that Labour should choose a woman as its next leader if Jeremy Corbyn loses on 8 June.

"The prime minister said yesterday that she was calling a general election because parliament was blocking Brexit, but three-quarters of this parliament voted for article 50 and two-thirds of the Lords voted for article 50, so that's not true, is it?" Cooper said during the exchange.

"A month ago she told her official spokesman to rule out an election and that wasn't true either, was it? She wants us to believe that she is a woman of her word but isn't the truth that we cannot believe a single word she says?"

When Corbyn does well at PMQs the Guardian don't lick his arse in the way that Cooper's has been.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Quincey on April 20, 2017, 09:11:59 AM
Guardian trying to destablise Corbyn by overreacting to Yvette Fucking Cooper doing well at PMQs: https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/apr/19/yvette-cooper-pmqs-labour-mps-theresa-may

When Corbyn does well at PMQs the Guardian don't lick his arse in the way that Cooper's has been.

Essentially that is saying - we want Labour to lose, we then want a woman as leader and we don't care if she is ineffectual, and then we want to return to the normal politics of the last few decades with a subjugated opposition.

Quincey

Daily Mail gushing over May.

QL:

QuoteMost women will know the scene in the film When Harry Met Sally, in which Meg Ryan simulates physical pleasure. Whereupon an older broad on an adjoining table turns to the waiter and says huskily: 'I'll have what she's having.'

Without wishing to be indelicate about our Prime Minister, the same thought must have been racing through the minds of her political rivals this week as they watched her seize the agenda and announce the June 8 General Election.

Whatever Theresa May is on — ginseng tea, a new exercise regime or simply the adrenaline of executive command — it is doing her wonders.
With one bound she has confounded her enemies, electrified her supporters and left the Establishment open mouthed with astonishment.
Whatever Theresa May is on — ginseng tea, a new exercise regime or simply the adrenaline of executive command — it is doing her wonders   
Mrs May's manner and her political prospects have been transformed. In the Commons yesterday she threw back her head with delight, booted Jeremy Corbyn out of the ground and won a hefty vote of approval for her election plan.

She radiated purpose and confidence. It was almost as if a veil had been lifted — which, in terms of political strategy, it has. Just a few days ago, the narrowing horizon presented Mrs May with numerous problems. Now, thanks to her bold gambit, she has a chance to become a powerful PM with her own mandate.

If she can win the coming election with room to spare, she will be in a far better position to clinch a good deal for the whole country from the Brexit talks than if she had just tried to stagger on with a diminishing majority.

May radiates purpose and confidence. It was almost as if a veil had been lifted — which, in terms of political strategy, it has
Mrs May has given voters a scintillating choice to determine who is really in charge of this country: you, the people, or your parliamentary elite.

'The country is coming together, but Westminster is not,' she said on Tuesday after bounding out of the door of 10 Downing Street to announce she was going to the polls.
At this time of political upheaval, she suggested, naysayers were trying to block the national interest.
The Mail's front page yesterday called those gripers, not least in the unelected House of Lords, 'saboteurs' for their plots to frustrate a clean Brexit. The Left and its friends in the BBC threw up their hands in horror, suggesting it was anti-democratic to use such a word.
What rot! Sabotage is the game these people have been playing. They were trying to stymie the biggest national plebiscite ever held. The referendum was a non-parliamentary vote, yet parliamentarians took it upon themselves to frustrate its outcome.

Now Mrs May has called the bluff of the anti-Brexit caterwaulers — the Cleggs, Blairs, Heseltines and so forth — who for a year have wheedled and moaned and manoeuvred.
They wanted a fight? Very well, she's on for it. Roll your sleeves, gentlemen. The lady is ready for you and her fingernails are like razor blades.

Theresa May's great merit, as a former Remain supporter, has been to accept that Brexit really must mean Brexit. As opinion polls have repeatedly and increasingly shown, we want the Government to be allowed to get on with it.That will be a major theme of the coming election campaign, and it is likely to appeal not just to Leave voters but also to millions of patriotic former Remain supporters, who quite properly want their Government to be strong in coming negotiations with Brussels.
Then there is the character of the Prime Minister. Mrs May is not a natural radical. After her long stint at the Home Office she won a well-earned reputation for stolidity: Theresa the Cautious Brick.
The fact is that the Theresa May of recent months has looked increasingly comfortable in her own skin.
The hairdo has changed, with a power bob unveiled for her announcement on Tuesday. It's shorter, more modern, a great improvement on the style she wore at the start of the Coalition years.

The Daily Mail comment leavers lap it up. Jack Russell from Yorkshire says:

QuoteJust forget - all the "Labour Party" - "Conservative Party" .... endless and hopeless twaddle - that we have endured for hopeless decades. This is just a woman who is demanding the best for YOU - and YOUR COUNTRY ..... and she is hell-bent on a mission to deliver it to all of us. Get behind her - or get out of the way - because you'll be just become another unpatriotic - enemy to the rest of us...Count the - red arrows - and know your enemies.

Interesting how so many Daily Mail readers have got over May's broken promise to bring the level of net migration down to less than 100,000 - you'd have thought they'd be furious about that.

MoonDust

Quote from: Quincey on April 20, 2017, 09:41:53 AM
Most women will know the scene in the film When Harry Met Sally, in which Meg Ryan simulates physical pleasure. Whereupon an older broad on an adjoining table turns to the waiter and says huskily: 'I'll have what she's having.'

Without wishing to be indelicate about our Prime Minister...

Bit too fucking late for that.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: MoonDust on April 20, 2017, 09:43:25 AM
Bit too fucking late for that.

Sounds like that writer has been inhaling the foisty minge juice of her delicates to me.

biggytitbo

The big problem is, as always, the state broadcasting corporation. That's where most people get their news and opinion from and by far the biggest media influence when it comes to elections. And they are home to the most insidious establishment propoganda.

Dr Rock

Quote from: Yvette Cooper"The prime minister said yesterday that she was calling a general election because parliament was blocking Brexit, but three-quarters of this parliament voted for article 50 and two-thirds of the Lords voted for article 50, so that's not true, is it?" Cooper said during the exchange.

It's not really a knockout punch is it? There's several flaws in her point that immediately come to mind.

pancreas

Quote from: biggytitbo on April 20, 2017, 12:18:50 PM
The big problem is, as always, the state broadcasting corporation. That's where most people get their news and opinion from and by far the biggest media influence when it comes to elections. And they are home to the most insidious establishment propoganda.

I agree with this. It's when it gets into the business of labelling that it's at its worst. Hard Left in the Labour Party, but no Hard Right in the Conservatives. You create consensus through the back door.

Quote from: Dr Rock on April 20, 2017, 12:24:07 PM
It's not really a knockout punch is it? There's several flaws in her point that immediately come to mind.

No not really, but it was more the performance of it which was so impressive. You could almost see the knife sliding in. Seriously, May looked wounded.

greenman

Quote from: Quincey on April 20, 2017, 12:05:31 PM

Just mass deportation.

Again I would mention Andrew Neil on the daily politics just how, he's always been a pretty obvious Tory but childishly shouting down the idea that there could potentially be a difference between employers who pay well and those who don't was like listening to a 15 year old Liberterian, seriously BBC is this what its come to?

3D

Quote from: greenman on April 20, 2017, 01:01:11 PM
Just mass deportation.

Again I would mention Andrew Neil on the daily politics just how, he's always been a pretty obvious Tory but childishly shouting down the idea that there could potentially be a difference between employers who pay well and those who don't was like listening to a 15 year old Liberterian, seriously BBC is this what its come to?

Made me rather wonder why, if "quiet bat people" "wealth extractors" was such a simple concept why Jack Droney couldn't answer a single question about it. If it is Labour's desire to go after certain companies and individuals it shouldn't be beyond the pale to ask whom it will target.

Anyway, more moot than ever following Sturgeon's comments yesterday about potentially working with Labour should the need arise. You'd have thought they'd have learnt their lesson in 2015. It'll be a cold day in hell before the English vote to see Krankie roll up at Number 10 in a limo to be greeted by Corbyn. It would be as concerning to the average punter as seeing Hitler turn up to visit the new UK governor in 1941 would have been.

Labour should give every penny they will spend in the next fifty days to charity where it might do some good. A dream team of Corbyn, McDonnell and Abbott with Gerry Adams and Nicola Sturgeon chipping in too? Labour must be fucking drunk.

MoonDust

Er.. haven't Labour ruled out a pact with the SNP?

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Quincey on April 20, 2017, 12:05:31 PM

I thought my hyperbolic fake news stuff earlier was "out-there", but this?!

greenman

Quote from: 3D on April 20, 2017, 01:21:54 PMMade me rather wonder why, if "quiet bat people" "wealth extractors" was such a simple concept why Jack Droney couldn't answer a single question about it. If it is Labour's desire to go after certain companies and individuals it shouldn't be beyond the pale to ask whom it will target.

Only he did answer it several times pointing out that there can obviously be a difference between companies treatment of there workforces and indeed there wider contribution to society whilst Neil ranted over the top of him that no its impossible to do this like said 15 year old libertarian/Tory boy. That such a simplistic and wantonly dishonest style of debate can come from a major BBC presenter doesn't really inspire confidence in impartiality.

Dr Rock

'All Mrs May plans, with our support, is to establish her mandate to press on with Brexit (backed by 52%)'

No matter how many times you say it, 52% always sounds a lot like 'about half.' Which is why Mrs May's plans, with the DM's support, to drive out anyone in the other 48% from parliament doesn't seem right.

Quincey

Quote3D: "It'll be a cold day in hell before the English vote to see Krankie roll up at Number 10 in a limo to be greeted by Corbyn. It would be as concerning to the average punter as seeing Hitler turn up to visit the new UK governor in 1941 would have been.

Why? How many people in England do you think care about Scotland, Scottish independence or Sturgeon? The only people who seem that bothered are those on the right who complain about how much public funding Scotland gets yet don't want Scotland to be independent."

MoonDust

What's more shocking is the insinuation that Sturgeon is as bad as Hitler, and that the DM believes the "average punter" thinks that. If they want to go all Godwin's law then you could say Theresa May holding hands with Trump is as concerning as Neville Chamberlain's "I have with me a piece of paper".

Quincey

Quote from: MoonDust on April 20, 2017, 01:55:45 PM
What's more shocking is the insinuation that Sturgeon is as bad as Hitler, and that the DM believes the "average punter" thinks that. If they want to go all Godwin's law then you could say Theresa May holding hands with Trump is as concerning as Neville Chamberlain's "I have with me a piece of paper".

Sorry, that was my fault, I quoted it badly. It wasn't the Daily Mail who said that, it was 3D.

MoonDust

So it was. Now I look the fool.

Still, probably a DM journo out there thinking the same thing.

Blue Jam

Yesterday Cunty Hopkins referred to Nicola Sturgeon as "The Dwarf From The North". Is it just me, or does anyone else always hear that phrase in the voice of Stewart Lee doing his Richard The Hamster Hammond[nb]HE'S NOT A REAL HAMSTER[/nb] impersonation?

Quote"JEREMY CLARKSON": Blah blah the Scottish.
"RICHARD HAMMOND": AHAHAHAHAHAHA THE SCOTTISH AHAHAHA IMAGING BEING SCOTTISH AND NOT BEING ENGLISH HAHAHAHA GYPSIES HA

imitationleather

When I read "The Dwarf from the North" it took me ages to work out who she was on about. Is Sturgeon famously short or something? Never heard that before.

Blue Jam

Quote from: imitationleather on April 20, 2017, 04:30:56 PM
When I read "The Dwarf from the North" it took me ages to work out who she was on about. Is Sturgeon famously short or something? Never heard that before.

A quick Google tells me The Sturge is 163cm tall- that's 1cm shorter than me, and I'm bog-standard average height. "The North" is a bit of a weird one as well, it sounds like she's being demonised for coming from Oop North, ie, t'North of England, rather than from Scotchland.

Despite these facts I have noticed "The Dwarf From The North" being used more often in the press- I didn't realise who that nickname referred to for a while either, and this is probably because it doesn't really work. It doesn't rhyme either, unless you're one of those thick cunts who pronounces "thick" as "fick".

I hope the whole of t'North of England and all of Scotchland beyond take offence at being demonised this way and keep the Tories out in protest.

imitationleather

Yeah that also confused me. Since when is Scotland "The North"? Everyone knows it's Gateshead to Berwick.

Sal Vicuso

It looks as though the Tory party line is "chaos" or "coalition chaos" - seen about half a dozen soundbites so far today from May and others with words to that effect

greenman

The "chaos" of having to be accountable to anyone during a period of massively important political choices rather than having a mandate based on pretty much fuck all detail so far.

MoonDust

Labour, Lib Dems, Greens, all offering messages of hope for their election campaigns.

Conversatives on the other hand offering a message of no hope unless you vote Tory.

Surely a contender for someone who'll be in office for 5 more years should be hopeful, not cynical. I mean I know this is a British election, but come on!