Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:27:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Have you ever shaken hands with or met your comedy hero ?

Started by armful, April 20, 2017, 05:08:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

armful

I just read this article on chortle about a man who shook hands with Bill Hicks before seeing him live

http://www.chortle.co.uk/correspondents/2017/04/18/36203/the_day_i_met_bill_hicks..._then_saw_his_insane_show

This got me thinking have any of you guys managed to meet or indeed shake hands with any of your comedy hero's?

Jerry Sadowitz is probably my favourite   stand up comedian of all time and about ten years ago I did manage to shake his hand.
Although Sadowitz is a comedy legend, after his show he still mans his own merchandise stand. So  the  third time I saw him live I decided to  break my rule of not buying merchandise ( I am very tight ) and buy one of his DVDS to  get the chance to  meet him.

I was young and excitable, waiting in line I was thinking of all the things I could say to make an impact and spark up a conversation with him. When I finally found myself stood in front of Jerry I put my hand out to him and with a big smile I said "loved your show ".  He gave me a bemused look thanked me and shook my hand (surprisingly he had a weak handshake).  I brought a DVD and asked if he could sign it which he said he would, as I was giving him the name to make it out to, he cut me off mid sentence and said "I don't make anything personal "(Although he was recently selling personalised shirts on his website) he scrawled his signature on my DVD case and sent me away. I wasn't too disappointed with my brief encounter as I had seen his show so knew what to expect, that was until a year later.

The next year I took my cousin to see Sadowitz as he had recently been getting into live magic so I thought he would like Jerry's show.  Luckily this was one of Jerry's magic heavy shows and my cousin was in heaven, after the show my Cuz decided to hit the merchandise stand.  My cousin was the last person Jerry had to serve that day, when he told Jerry he loved the magic, Jerry's eyes lit up. They had in in-depth pleasant conversation about magic for about ten minutes, I stood by like a gooseberry completely ignored.  After the chat my Cuz pointed out what a pleasant man Jerry was, I had flashbacks to my cold rejection of a personalised signature the year before  and said "yeah he is great".

So do you guys have any tales of brushes with comedy genius you would like to share?

Sebastian Cobb

I got Stewart Lee to sign my cast (broken ankle) when I saw him about 8 years ago (he was doing signings of tickets, dvd's et al, I didn't just boorishly demand he did it). In hindsight I bet he hated that.

Sydward Lartle

Spike Milligan looked deathly ill and about a hundred years old[nb]In reality, he was seventy-seven[/nb] when I attended one of his book signings in the mid-nineties. Although he was signing copies of one of his According To... books (he did several of these - the Bible, Treasure Island and Black Beauty among them), I'd turned up with a copy of the first Q Annual and asked him to sign that. He gave me a beady look and said 'Are you Jewish?', presumably because I wasn't buying his new book and Jews are tight, ha ha. As it turns out, I do have Jewish heritage so I simply said 'Only around Christmas'. He loved that, signed the book and said 'Shall I put 'shalom'? That's Jewish, isn't it?" I told him a signature would be fine. His crisp response? 'Please your fucking self then'. In short, he was everything I wanted him to be.

I met Tim Brooke-Taylor and Graeme Garden on their 2007 Goodies-minus-Oddie stage tour, both were absolute gentlemen and patiently answered all my nerdy twat questions. I still have my signed souvenir booklet framed on my living room wall.

armful

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on April 20, 2017, 05:21:17 PM
I got Stewart Lee to sign my cast (broken ankle) when I saw him about 8 years ago (he was doing signings of tickets, dvd's et al, I didn't just boorishly demand he did it). In hindsight I bet he hated that.

but did you keep the cast :-)

armful

Quote from: Sydward Lartle on April 20, 2017, 05:34:32 PM
Spike Milligan looked deathly ill and about a hundred years old[nb]In reality, he was seventy-seven[/nb] when I attended one of his book signings in the mid-nineties. Although he was signing copies of one of his According To... books (he did several of these - the Bible, Treasure Island and Black Beauty among them), I'd turned up with a copy of the first Q Annual and asked him to sign that. He gave me a beady look and said 'Are you Jewish?', presumably because I wasn't buying his new book and Jews are tight, ha ha. As it turns out, I do have Jewish heritage so I simply said 'Only around Christmas'. He loved that, signed the book and said 'Shall I put 'shalom'? That's Jewish, isn't it?" I told him a signature would be fine. His crisp response? 'Please your fucking self then'. In short, he was everything I wanted him to be.

I met Tim Brooke-Taylor and Graeme Garden on their 2007 Goodies-minus-Oddie stage tour, both were absolute gentlemen and patiently answered all my nerdy twat questions. I still have my signed souvenir booklet framed on my living room wall.

Cool story  about Spike, I had read he could  be quite Prickly when meeting people, understandable with all the issues he had.

I always imagined Tim Brooke-Taylor to be a pleasant guy. I once  read an interview which  he was discussing the Pythons doing the Yorkshire Men  sketch live and not giving him royalties ( he had helped develop the sketch  in At Last the 1948 show) He was just joking about it and didn't seem that bothered at all.

Sal Vicuso

I was stood next to Jerry Sadowitz at the urinal before his show in Brighton some years ago. I was going to try for a shake but he seemed to manage well enough on his own

neveragain

Made a burbling fool of myself in front of Chris Morris at the Nottingham screening of Four Lions, and a similar fool in front of Michael Palin at a book-signing. Both men were patient and pleasant, although I suspect Palin assumed I was disabled. Morris just thought me a tit.

Had a lovely chat with Mark Gatiss back in the League's heyday. Again at a book signing, and of all the Gents he was the only one who could be bothered to be friendly near closing time (possibly Jeremy Dyson was but nobody was looking at him).

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: armful on April 20, 2017, 05:47:14 PM
but did you keep the cast :-)

No, but they let me keep the crutches because I'm the sort of wally that goes to get their cast cut off without remembering to bring their left shoe.

Sydward Lartle

Quote from: armful on April 20, 2017, 05:59:14 PM
I always imagined Tim Brooke-Taylor to be a pleasant guy. I once  read an interview which  he was discussing the Pythons doing the Yorkshire Men  sketch live and not giving him royalties ( he had helped develop the sketch  in At Last the 1948 show) He was just joking about it and didn't seem that bothered at all.

He wrote the Four Yorkshiremen sketch with Marty Feldman, which is why they get on-screen credits at the end of the Hollywood Bowl film.

Glebe

Having a bit of a brain fart, but I'm sure I went to two Palin book signings. Incredibly nice, as expected.

Jockice

I stood next to Jerry Sadowitz in a pub at the Edinburgh Festival once but didn't have the nerve to speak to him. The only comedian i can remember shaking hands with is Phill Jupitas in his Porky The Poet/Go Discs press officer days. Lovely guy. But not my comedy hero.

Duckula

Got to hang out at the bar and meet Scott Aukerman and Paul F Tompkins after the CBB show in Manchester last year - managed to appear like a normal person despite being more excited than possible inside.

Also met Gregg Turkington at the Fringe a couple of years back who was just lovely.

Puce Moment

Chris Morris in 2005, Leeds Train Station. He was friendly but guarded. I said how much I loved Blue Jam and he smiled knowingly, as if he could see into my soul that I had chosen something that people don't necessarily mention in order to present fan credentials. He said he was there to meet friends, which he probably was, but I found out later that he was there to do research for Four Lions.

Also, Mark Thomas in, I think about 1995 or so. He was lovely.

Brundle-Fly

I worked in stage doors and theatre bars many moons ago and consequently shook hands with loads of old comedy heroes but the one who made me think, "fuck me I'm shaking his hand" was of all people, Bernard Bresslaw. He was by no means the most talented or famous comedian I'd met but easily the most surreal. Fucking Bernie! Upsidaisi! Bungit Din! Sockett! Gort from Krull!

A loveable old big lug, you'll be pleased to know.

Oh, scratch that, I met Stephen Lewis ( he was dressed as Blakey, don't ask) while having a smoke in the carpark of the Mermaid theatre in 2000.

armful

Quote from: Sydward Lartle on April 20, 2017, 06:21:42 PM
He wrote the Four Yorkshiremen sketch with Marty Feldman, which is why they get on-screen credits at the end of the Hollywood Bowl film.

So they wrote it. Feildman is great in that Original  sketch.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Jockice on April 20, 2017, 06:27:54 PM
I stood next to Jerry Sadowitz in a pub at the Edinburgh Festival once but didn't have the nerve to speak to him. The only comedian i can remember shaking hands with is Phill Jupitas in his Porky The Poet/Go Discs press officer days. Lovely guy. But not my comedy hero.

Sadowitz is supposedly cripplingly shy off stage.

armful

Quote from: Puce Moment on April 20, 2017, 06:36:23 PM
Chris Morris in 2005, Leeds Train Station. He was friendly but guarded. I said how much I loved Blue Jam and he smiled knowingly, as if he could see into my soul that I had chosen something that people don't necessarily mention in order to present fan credentials. He said he was there to meet friends, which he probably was, but I found out later that he was there to do research for Four Lions.

Also, Mark Thomas in, I think about 1995 or so. He was lovely.

I would not  have the balls to approach  Morris I just know I would make a dick of myself

armful

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on April 20, 2017, 07:16:15 PM
Sadowitz is supposedly cripplingly shy off stage.

When I met him I put his limited interaction down to shyness  ( In truth  I know he was thinking get out of my face you geeky fan boy) Like I said he was nice enough  with my cousin the year after. You might just have to  catch  him in the right mood.

Danger Man

Shook hands with Stewart Lee who, if he had known who I was on here, would probably have punched me.

armful

Quote from: Danger Man on April 20, 2017, 07:37:24 PM
Shook hands with Stewart Lee who, if he had known who I was on here, would probably have punched me.

How come ?

I'm new here  and intrigued with the back  story

Danger Man

I've said fruity things about him on here.

The one about how he sells his tickets managed to get a "If you don't like how I sell my tickets then don't come to the show" on his webpage.

But that's all water under the bridge now.

Mr Banlon

Small Man Big Horse

Not heroes, but I admire the following a lot:

Brett Gelman - When he did some 20 minute spots over here last year. Really lovely to chat too, laughed at my desperate attempt to get Twin Peaks info out of him, couldn't have asked for more.

Eddie Pepitone - After a gig at the Soho Theatre. All kinds of lovely and was happy to chat, Mrs SMBH loves him and went a second time where he was equally as friendly.

David Cross - Really warm and amiable, indeed I was surprised by just how friendly he was.

David Wain - Who was with Cross at the time. Seemed quite shy and was far quieter than Cross, but happy to have a photo taken with me.

Stewart Lee - In a pissy mood as he'd just done 20 minutes at a venue he really didn't like (and was previously unaware that it wasn't seated. Indeed he almost pulled out of the gig but did it in the end), and a little bit dismissive, but considering the circumstances I can't blame him.

Chris Barrie - At a small sci-fi convention where I'd paid a tenner for a signed autograph so he had to be nice to me. And he was, despite my rambling away. Which was nice.

Josie Long - I drunkenly tried to chat her up without realising that she was dating Matthew Crosby. Who was standing next to her at the time. Both were very friendly and sweet despite my idiocy.

armful

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on April 20, 2017, 07:55:17 PM
Not heroes, but I admire the following a lot:

Brett Gelman - When he did some 20 minute spots over here last year. Really lovely to chat too, laughed at my desperate attempt to get Twin Peaks info out of him, couldn't have asked for more.

Eddie Pepitone - After a gig at the Soho Theatre. All kinds of lovely and was happy to chat, Mrs SMBH loves him and went a second time where he was equally as friendly.

David Cross - Really warm and amiable, indeed I was surprised by just how friendly he was.

David Wain - Who was with Cross at the time. Seemed quite shy and was far quieter than Cross, but happy to have a photo taken with me.

Stewart Lee - In a pissy mood as he'd just done 20 minutes at a venue he really didn't like (and was previously unaware that it wasn't seated. Indeed he almost pulled out of the gig but did it in the end), and a little bit dismissive, but considering the circumstances I can't blame him.

Chris Barrie - At a small sci-fi convention where I'd paid a tenner for a signed autograph so he had to be nice to me. And he was, despite my rambling away. Which was nice.

Josie Long - I drunkenly tried to chat her up without realising that she was dating Matthew Crosby. Who was standing next to her at the time. Both were very friendly and sweet despite my idiocy.

Chris Barrie falls into hero category  for me. Ten pounds for the company of that comedy acting legend seems a bargain

kittens

got a pic with stewart lee once
i forget what i said to him but it can't have been any good

Beagle 2

I've never had the nerve. I was late for a showing of Four Lions at the Barbican and yer Morris was stood by the door in an otherwise empty corridor. We made eye contact and I just sort of gasped a bit and filed past him.

Most recently I was in a pub with lots of pictures of comedians on the wall. My mate pointed to a corner and said "is that Aisling Bea?", so I wandered over, squinted at the photo on the wall that didn't look like Aisling Bea and said "is what Aisling Bea?", at which point I realised I'd just said it directly into the face of actual Aisling Bea. She was very nice and funny about it but I literally recoiled and ran away out of embarrassment.

FRIEND OF THE STARS.

Skip Bittman

Bob Odenkirk. One of the nicest fellas in this frequently hideous business. Humored me for an afternoon of silly questions in his offices, festooned with Italian posters for Godard and Woody Allen films. Cheered me up and gave splendid advice. Introduced me to new comedy. Bantered about Partridge and Iannucci. Recorded 25 some-odd pages of voiceover on the spur of the moment; then laughed in my face when I tried to mumble about payment. "I'm not going to take your money."

If anybody deserves success, it's that guy.

Quote from: Skip Bittman on April 20, 2017, 08:46:47 PM
Bob Odenkirk. One of the nicest fellas in this frequently hideous business. Humored me for an afternoon of silly questions in his offices, festooned with Italian posters for Godard and Woody Allen films. Cheered me up and gave splendid advice. Introduced me to new comedy. Bantered about Partridge and Iannucci. Recorded 25 some-odd pages of voiceover on the spur of the moment; then laughed in my face when I tried to mumble about payment. "I'm not going to take your money."

If anybody deserves success, it's that guy.

Bloody hell. That's a cracker. He's a hero of mine too. So happy to hear he's as pleasant as he comes across in interviews.

PlasticTom

Greg Proops at a book signing in Manchester a year or two ago. I made him a mix cd of songs by women, which I cringe slightly about now, but he was very complimentary (he singled out Syreeta, Betty Davis and Lesley Gore as good choices). He signed the book "Thank you for your generosity" and was completely charming.
I had a chat with his wife Jennifer too, who was lovely and told me about a good Ohio Players documentary.

non capisco

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on April 20, 2017, 07:55:17 PM

He used to be in The Star and Garter pub in Soho quite a bit, presumably when he was over here filming Todd Margaret. As you say, seems like a really nice fella, perfectly happy for me to barge my way into his evening and bend his ear about Mr. Show.

I've told this on here probably more than once before but I'm happy to trot it out again because it's a great memory. I saw Benedict Wong outside a pub about ten years ago and had to tell him how much I loved 15 Stories High. He was incredibly chuffed and said he had such a good time filming it but was seemingly under the impression that literally no-one had ever seen it bar the people that worked on it. We ended up having a few drinks and shouting "COME CLEAN YER HANDS ON ME COAT!" into the night together.

I've spoken to Palin as well, my brain shorted out when I came out of work and saw him bustling down the street and I went "HIYAAAA!" like he was my uncle or something and he was nice enough to stop for a bit even though he'd evidently been in a rush before. He's a really nice bloke, that's my hot take on Michael Palin.