Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 10:11:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Have you ever shaken hands with or met your comedy hero ?

Started by armful, April 20, 2017, 05:08:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cuellar

Told a drunk Richard Herring that a girl had put a piece of paper in his jacket pocket in the Underbelly beer garden(? Does it even have one? No idea) in Edinburgh in about 2004/5. I was also drunk.

He's not my comedy hero necessarily, nor was it a 'meeting' as such. I just had to get it off my chest.

I never found out who the girl was, or what the piece of paper said.

I've had many opportunities to say hello to Stewart Lee. Most recently in Paddington station, he was just milling about waiting for a train, as was I. And I'd just seen his Content Provider show a week or so ago, so I had a good 'in'. Didn't have the guts, though. Didn't have the guts.

DrGreggles

Bumped into Rik Mayall buying fruit on a market stall when he was on one of the Bottom tours.
Despite being in my mid-20s, I uttered "Hi Rik, I'm a huge fan." in a voice that sounded akin to someone going through puberty.
He turned, said "And with good reason!" and then did a big Rik Mayall grin.

I honestly don't think the encounter could have gone any better.

Jockice

Quote from: DrGreggles on April 20, 2017, 09:53:29 PM
Bumped into Rik Mayall buying fruit on a market stall when he was on one of the Bottom tours.
Despite being in my mid-20s, I uttered "Hi Rik, I'm a huge fan." in a voice that sounded akin to someone going through puberty.

I'm not much of a Mayall fan myself but that's lovely.

Glebe

Quote from: DrGreggles on April 20, 2017, 09:53:29 PMI uttered "Hi Rik, I'm a huge fan." in a voice that sounded akin to someone going through puberty.

Excellent, can't imagine a better response!

*tears up over the late Rik M*

Mr Banlon

Not me, and not my comedy hero, but when my missus was a kid she saw Arthur Mullard sitting on a bench in Clissold Park.
Her mate egged her on to go and see if it was him. She went up and asked, "Scuse me mister, are you Arthur Mullard ?"
He replied, "Yus my dear."
I used to think that was quite a sweet little anecdote from Mrs B's eastend childhood. Then I found out Mullard was a right fucking wrong 'un.
Saying that, if Arthur would have tried any funny business, Mrs B would have probably stabbed him with an afro-pick.

Serge

I've never met Stewart Lee but can confirm that he is a precious arsehole and one day I might tell that story on here. But not now.

I met Gregg Turkington when he performed as Neil Hamburger at Rough Trade, and he was as pleasant and affable as you'd imagine. Other than that, most encounters I've had have been across the counter (with me behind the till.)

Peter Serafinowicz has to go to the top of the table as nicest famous person I've ever met.

Lenny Henry was also very pleasant, and sang along to the David Bowie CD I was playing in the shop at the time, so as far as I'm concerned, he's great. Though a friend of mine who worked in another branch of the shop I was working in at the time (and who pointed Lenworth in the direction of our branch when he couldn't find the book he was after) got a better story. Lenny was buying a pile of books and asked if there was any discount, and my friend, a huge Thin Lizzy fan, said, "Because you did a sketch with my hero, Phil Lynott, I'll do it for you." Lenny said, "Phil-O...." and proceeded to recount a 20-year old sketch from memory.

Paul Whitehouse always seemed very guarded and quite curt, which I put down to people endlessly shouting catchphrases at him.

Julian Barrett always seemed slightly stoned and for a long while, actually seemed to be joined at the hip to Noel Fielding. And, I think I've mentioned it on here before, at the height of the Mighty Boosh's fame, Michael 'Naboo' Fielding came into the branch of Fopp I was working at and asked for a job.

Vic Reeves was nice enough. And Fred Aylward aka Les used to come into Rough Trade quite a lot.

Mark Thomas was a nice guy, and once asked for an obscure post rock album that we couldn't track down.

I have never met my actual comedy hero, Sean Lock, though a friend of mine often used to spot him eating a fry up in a particular East London cafe.

Mr Banlon

I saw Sean Lock crossing TCR by Centre Point a few years back. He was muttering to himself and looked well pissed off. I decided against striking up a convo.
edt : Ben Wong story already told. Jealous

non capisco

Quote from: Mr Banlon on April 20, 2017, 10:31:37 PM
I know someone on CaB once bumped into Benny Wong and had a drink with him. They ended up shouting "COME AND CLEAN YOUR HANDS ON ME COAT !" into the Soho night.
Fuck, I hope that's a true story.

Haha, it is a true story and I trotted it out yet again on page 1 of this thread! I can also tell the Patrick Stewart one again on the slim chance no-one's read it on here before.

Sydward Lartle

Quote from: Serge on April 20, 2017, 10:23:08 PM
I've never met Stewart Lee but can confirm that he is a precious arsehole and one day I might tell that story on here.

Stuff like this is like a red rag to a bull to me. Probably because I don't find Stewart Lee remotely funny and it baffles me as to how he ever got a viable career as a stand-up, but I seem to be in the minority there. But do tell, all the same.

Harry Hill was unbelievably, out of his way nice. Friend of a friend who works in comedy has said similar.
Daniel Kitson was really nice the couple of times I've spoken to him.
Tim Key is as awkward as you'd expect from his work.

Olarrio

Everyone has had a lovely interaction with Michael Palin. But not everyone has been flashed a smile as warm as the roast chestnuts given to him at a book signing on a chilly winter's day.

Mr Faineant

I met Kitson at the Union Hall in Brooklyn after his impotent fury show. I'd flown up from Florida for one night just to see him, so I was exceptionally giddy. The venue was very small, and had a small curtained off area next to the stage, that served as a sort of make-shift back stage thing. Anyway, as I walked out I peeked my head behind the curtain and there he was, sat on a chair. So I said something, he responded, so I barged in bumbling on about something incoherent. I think I said that I'd only heard bootlegs before, never seen him live, then panicked that he'd think I had bootlegged that show, so proceeded to pat myself down to show that I hadn't in fact. All very awkward an embarrassing. Anyway, he was very sweet and friendly, a very pleasant interaction (not for him).

Noodle Lizard

I've been lucky enough to meet a fair few of the living/active ones.  I've had a drink with Doug Stanhope, hung about with Gregg Turkington and Tim Heidecker on a few occasions, been featured in one of Brody Stevens' Periscopes, talked briefly about magic with Jerry Sadowitz, received relationship advice from Bill Burr and unintentionally told Armando Iannucci his McTaggart speech was boring.

Conversely to other experiences in this thread, Turkington and Heidecker were the only ones in that list who seemed a bit standoffish to me unless you were one of "the cool kids".  But that might be because I always met them among friends/colleagues rather than at their shows or whatever.  Everyone else is lovely as you'd want, even Sadowitz once you break through.

__steve__

Edit: turns out my comedy connection was a pervert. Move on.

__steve__

Shakes head in embarrassment now he has Google'd stuff.

Facking dirty cant

armful

Quote from: DrGreggles on April 20, 2017, 09:53:29 PM

That's ace . I always regret not seeing Rik in anything live , I just assumed he would be around forever

madhair60

I met Stewart Lee three time.

1) Talked about Viz

2) Talked about [banned troll]

3) Got cross with me when I asked about TV Comedian

Not a hero but my band went on just before Tony Law at a uni summer ball thing in Roehampton about 4 years ago. He went on for about 20 minutes and bombed beyond belief; performing fo an indifferent and silent crowd of uni lads and lasses. Was a bit of a weird choice for that kind of thing. He seemed completely unphased and had a beer with us when he came off, telling us he had a gig in London that evening. I guess just popping to Roehampton to do an albeit disastrous gig and be handed a few hundred quid of an afternoon isn't bad. Anyway he was a ridiculously nice guy, very down to Earth and more enthusiastic about the bands future than any of its members

mobias

During the festival up here in Edinburgh you see so many comedians about. Stewart Lee seems to be absolutely everywhere all the time as far as I can tell. A few years back he must have been staying in a flat near where I used to live because saw him pretty much everyday wandering around. He absolutely does not strike me as someone who wants people to go up to speak to him. I don't think I'd ever go up to randomly speak to any comedic heroes unless I had something of value to say, and I can't imagine I ever would really. 

There's quite an odd psychology comes into play whenever you meet someone famous. You become weirdly self conscious. Its difficult to analyse whats going on. Through work I occasionally meet a few famous faces and whenever I do I've noted how almost hyper aware I become of what I say. Making relaxed conversation as if they were a total stranger almost becomes impossible for some reason.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: mobias on April 21, 2017, 09:55:13 AM
Making relaxed conversation as if they were a total stranger almost becomes impossible for some reason.

So imagine what it must be like for the comedy hero/ famous person? They get routinely asked for selfies, handshakes and if they are less than anything but completely gracious or just having a grumpy off day, it can get reported on social media immediately afterwards and they have to atone for it forever. The worst that can happen to the total stranger is that they've been slightly let down by somebody they've had this pre-conception of. 

Tony Slattery famously got assaulted for this exchange.

The actor was walking home when this bloke leaving a shop called out from the other side of the high street.

Bloke: "Oi! You're that wanker off the telly!"

Slattery: "Yes, and you're that cunt from Woolworths".

Slattery said he got decked there and then.

mobias

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on April 21, 2017, 11:07:47 AM
So imagine what it must be like for the comedy hero/ famous person? They get routinely asked for selfies, handshakes and if they are less than anything but completely gracious or just having a grumpy off day, it can get reported on social media immediately afterwards and they have to atone for it forever.

Yeah thats why I don't take at face value stories of someone being a total cunt. Unless the stories are consistently the same. Get anyone on a bad day and they'll be cuntish.

Brundle-Fly

I knew this person who was always telling me how rude certain celebrities are when he's met them but the truth is, this person was one of the rudest people I had ever met. I always wanted to hear the other side of the story; especially the one where he gatecrashed a backstage party and told the band's lead singer they were "a bit workmanlike tonight" while drinking their rider.

armful

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on April 21, 2017, 11:07:47 AM
So imagine what it must be like for the comedy hero/ famous person? They get routinely asked for selfies, handshakes and if they are less than anything but completely gracious or just having a grumpy off day, it can get reported on social media immediately afterwards and they have to atone for it forever. The worst that can happen to the total stranger is that they've been slightly let down by somebody they've had this pre-conception of. 

Tony Slattery famously got assaulted for this exchange.

The actor was walking home when this bloke leaving a shop called out from the other side of the high street.

Bloke: "Oi! You're that wanker off the telly!"

Slattery: "Yes, and you're that cunt from Woolworths".

Slattery said he got decked there and then.

This is true. I recall reading about how Oliver Reed was glassed because somebody noticed him from his Hammer Horror Films and banter got out of control. So being well known has its downsides. Mind you I would take the odd Glass to the face to avoid the 9-5 grind

Another well  known Comic I met during my open spot  days, although not a hero   (Frankie Boyle)  I did and open Spot at the stand Glasgow, I went backstage to get my coat and it was just Boyle and I in the room. I panicked and told him "I have never seen your stuff but my sister loves you" He laughed about it and we had a quick chat, he seemed a nice guy. He then did a twenty minute set and the room loved him. He was probably feeding off the energy of our pre gig chat

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: armful on April 21, 2017, 12:05:32 PM
Another well  known Comic I met during my open spot  days, although not a hero   (Frankie Boyle)  I did and open Spot at the stand Glasgow, I went backstage to get my coat and it was just Boyle and I in the room. I panicked and told him "I have never seen your stuff but my sister loves you" He laughed about it and we had a quick chat, he seemed a nice guy. He then did a twenty minute set and the room loved him. He was probably feeding off the energy of our pre gig chat

A mate lives in the centre of Glasgow and Boyle (as well as Limmy) can frequently be seen living their daily lives.  My mate now knows Limmy enough to have a drink with him when they see each other, and he has seen and chatted to Boyle several times.  I'm not a fan of Boyle at all, but my mate (and everyone else who has met him) echoes what you said about him being a nice guy.

Me and another mate once shared a couple of pre-gig pints with Bill Bailey and his mate (no one famous) in the bar of The Hen and Chicken in Bristol.  This was post appearances on Des O'Connor and the Bloomsbury Theatre show, but pre Is It Bill Bailey?.  Very very very down to earth and pretty much the same as his stage persona (although, at that time, he was still quite heavy on the weed and was fairly high when we met him).  He was only just starting to make a national name for himself, so most people in the bar didn't recognise him (and anyone familiar with the Hen will know what a small venue it is).  Saw him again performing the same show (although, as he still did a lot of improv back then, there was very little repetition) in Bath a couple of days later (another tiny venue - The Egg) and at the end he just walked out with the rest of the audience and was surprised by his parents who had brought both of his (very) elderly grandparents to the show.  He was quite emotional about that and it turned into a little family reunion, which further exemplified his nice guy status.

And, I've mentioned this one on CaB several times, not a hero of mine at all (never been a fan), the same mate (who is a massive fan) dragged me along to see Rob Newman in a small pub in Bristol.  Unbeknown to either of us at the time, it was during his god-awful poetry period.  The pub wasn't full to begin with, but as his set went on more and more people walked out, until it got to the point where it was just us two, a few others, and some regulars who weren't in there for Newman anyway.  Far from sharing a pint with my mate's hero, we actually bought Newman some drinks because we felt quite sorry for him - after all, only a few years previous he was filling arenas with David Baddiel.  Anyway, he was a thoroughly nice chap and just accepted that people didn't really want to see that, they wanted to see him do "that's you, that is".  But whenever the subject did drift towards MWE or Baddiel, he abruptly moved the conversation on and clearly didn't want to talk about either.  But he sat with us (or, rather, we sat with him) for a couple of hours chatting.  In that entire time, only one couple approached him for an autograph.  Everyone else either ignored him, or had no idea who he was (he had short hair, hadn't shaved for a while and was dressed quite shabbily).

Brundle-Fly

I've got a mate off the telly who regularly gets approached when we are out together. We're sitting in a pub and somebody will come up and say "Sorry to interrupt, I expect you get this all the time but I just wanted to say I'm an admirer of your work."  My mate gets into a friendly chat and the fan relaxes.  Very occasionally these niceties expand into a lengthy dialogue; rounds of drinks are bought. This conviviality sometimes continues into the evening. Everybody is on a level playing field. Not even talking about TV anymore.

At the end of the night we all shake hands and then this always happens. "Is it OK to take a selfie with you?"
Not all three of us, of course. No biggy, but my mate says it feels such a shame. The pecking order has been resumed.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on April 21, 2017, 01:08:00 PM
No biggy, but my mate says it feels such a shame. The pecking order has been resumed.

But you're quite happy cos your mate is Bernard Manning.

Brundle-Fly

Puce Moment

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on April 21, 2017, 01:08:00 PM
I've got a mate off the telly who regularly gets approached when we are out together. We're sitting in a pub and somebody will come up and say "Sorry to interrupt, I expect you get this all the time but I just wanted to say I'm an admirer of your work."  My mate gets into a friendly chat and the fan relaxes.  Very occasionally these niceties expand into a lengthy dialogue; rounds of drinks are bought. This conviviality sometimes continues into the evening. Everybody is on a level playing field. Not even talking about TV anymore.

At the end of the night we all shake hands and then this always happens. "Is it OK to take a selfie with you?"
Not all three of us, of course. No biggy, but my mate says it feels such a shame. The pecking order has been resumed.

I've had similar experiences with a friend of mine (a British film director) and it is fascinating to watch the interactions. Mainly, you see how awkward people are, and how they want to blurt pre-prepared things out. A photo seems to be the standard way to finish the discourse.

I went up to Steve Davies in a hotel bar at the World Championships in Sheffield a couple of years ago and I was very conscious that he was there with a mate and I didn't want to ignore him, so I tried to bring him into the conversation. But we were talking about krautrock and Davies' radio show and the mate just went "No idea, but he's delighted to talk about that because I know fuck-all about it".

TheManOne

Mr Morris, probably alongside many CABbers at the premier of Four Lions in Bradford. I said "Thank you for everything" and left. Any more would've been greedy given the line of people and, frankly, redundant. He said "No. Thank you." What a nice man.