Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,584,352
  • Total Topics: 106,754
  • Online Today: 1,132
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 05:02:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

'Scarred For Life, Volume One: The 1970s'

Started by Serge, April 20, 2017, 10:07:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Catalogue Trousers

A long shot, Serge, but might it be one of Nigel Blundell's The World's Greatest series of books published by Octopus Books during the mid-1980s?

Here's one called The World's Greatest Mysteries - maybe it might ring a bell or two...

EDIT NEW PAGE BOO made you jump

Serge

I was thinking of those - I had a few of them myself, they were the hardy staples of remainder shops for a long time! I might ask him, see if it fits.

Got my copy of this. Astounding just from a quick flick-through. Plus, I remember exactly the "shit-scared-what-the-hell-is-going-on-here-ness" of first seeing Worzel Gummidge. Although that doesn't compare to the shit-scared-what-the-hell-is-going-on-here-ness of seeing TWO Hulks in the episode "The First". I remember freaking out about that, and making the parents switch over to another channel, quickly. Which, thankfully, sent me to my first episode of "Never the Twain"

scarred

Hi, if anyone wants to head over to iPlayer radio we were just on Radio Tees on Bob Fischer's show from 2pm to 3pm. It seemed to go really well and I hope anyone who listened to it was entertained by our ramblings.

scarred

Here's a link to the interview we did yesterday, we start about 5 minutes in.

http://tinyurl.com/lmfaloe

scarred

Here's a link to photo of an article that appeared in The Crack, an arts magazine from the North East of England, this week

article

(I couldn't get the photo to post directly for some reason!)

Brundle-Fly

Radcliffe & Maconie have been discussing scary kids tv/ books of the past throughout their 6Music show today. Scarred, you should Tweet/email them about your book.

Norton Canes

I presume this gets a mention in volume one?

It was my one-stop shop for getting the shit scared out of me when I was a kid.

scarred

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on May 31, 2017, 03:14:40 PM
Radcliffe & Maconie have been discussing scary kids tv/ books of the past throughout their 6Music show today. Scarred, you should Tweet/email them about your book.

Done! Though rather cheekily using my dog's Twitter!

scarred

Quote from: Norton Canes on May 31, 2017, 03:29:41 PM

I believe Ste wrote about it! I never had the book myself, I suspect over-protective parenting and sensitive child!

Quote from: Norton Canes on May 31, 2017, 03:29:41 PM

Armada Ghost Stories were quite good, too. 

scarred

Here's a link to an article in The Independent this week.

http://tinyurl.com/ybz5wnx6

scarred

Some great stuff in Misty. Also (and I'm not being paid, sadly, to say this) checkout the Network sale - there are some fantastic bargains to be had on TV shows featured in the book.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Phil_A on May 04, 2017, 04:50:49 PM
I've just remembered how terrified I used to be of the Doomlord photostrips in the 80s Eagle. the grainy black and white photography combined with all the dubious goings on perpetrated by the titular Doomlord as he inveigled his way into a suburban household seemed to me as a youngster to be the apex of terror.

Unfortunately, time has not been kind to these attempts to replicate the classic Italian photostory style (likewise when Nemesis The Warlock had a short-lived excursion into Fumetti Land). Doomlord's alien garb resembled someone's mum's dressing gown, and his terrifying skeletal visage was a rubber mask from a joke shop, while the other characters are clearly friends and family of Fleetway employees pantomiming for all they're worth.

Shut your dirty mouth, Doomlord is amazing! The first series at the very least is filled with a great deal of macabre humour, and given the obvious low budget and limitations of the cast I think it's an impressive beast. The second and third series are patchier, and once it became a drawn comic with Doomlord's rubbish son Enok it all fell apart, but before that I'd argue it was a huge amount of fun.

Quote from: studpuppet on June 22, 2017, 04:03:13 PM
Seemed appropriate to post this here:

http://readcomiconline.to/Comic/Misty

I love that site, discovered it about two years ago and it's saved me a ridiculous amount of money, and it's got a superb archive as well, filled with oddities like the complete run of 'Mazing Man.

The Doomlord strip in new Eagle followed a curious trajectory. He started off as would-be conqueror, then got replaced by another of his species who became a sort of environmental campaigner.

Glebe

Quote from: Phoenix Lazarus on June 25, 2017, 09:02:25 AM
The Doomlord strip in new Eagle followed a curious trajectory. He started off as would-be conqueror, then got replaced by another of his species who became a sort of environmental campaigner.

Really?! The photostrip was gone by the time I got into Eagle, didn't know the 'cartoon' Doomlord was not the original guy.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Glebe on June 25, 2017, 09:22:08 AM
Really?! The photostrip was gone by the time I got into Eagle, didn't know the 'cartoon' Doomlord was not the original guy.

It's all true, if you fancy reading the first Doomlord photostrip series you can download it here: http://www113.zippyshare.com/v/DZN4sRMH/file.html

Glebe

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on June 25, 2017, 02:57:29 PM
It's all true, if you fancy reading the first Doomlord photostrip series you can download it here: http://www113.zippyshare.com/v/DZN4sRMH/file.html

Cheers SMBH. Doomlord has always been a force for good to me, and so I do so with some trepidation.

studpuppet

Quote from: Phoenix Lazarus on June 25, 2017, 09:02:25 AM

I'm going to have to go back and re-read them now. I won a runners-up prize of a Cricketer's Who's Who from issue 2 or 3. True dat.

Glebe

Most probably mentioned before, but who remembers the Weetabix 'Scary Stickers'? Someone had the red bug with teeth one (see below) as their avatar awhile ago, fucking terrifying.

Quote from: scarred on May 19, 2017, 12:56:29 PM
Here's a link to the interview we did yesterday, we start about 5 minutes in.

http://tinyurl.com/lmfaloe

I enjoyed listening to that. It was a pleasant surprise to hear an interviewer with good knowledge of the subject under discussion!

scarred

Quote from: Lazy Gondolier on July 06, 2017, 06:33:11 PM
I enjoyed listening to that. It was a pleasant surprise to hear an interviewer with good knowledge of the subject under discussion!

Bob's really on the ball, he'd done a lot of research for a brilliant article that he just had published in the Fortean Times. The thing I enjoyed about the interview is that we talked constantly for the hour. During all those pieces of music we were still talking, he'd tell us what he would be asking next and we'd chat about it. During the Worzel piece of music Ste said how much of a "prick tease" Aunt Sally was and we had a good laugh about that before deciding that we couldn't really say that on air!

studpuppet

Careful. That 'prick tease' was nearly my mother! My dad started dating her in the late fifties when she was just a dancer; they were on a bus together one day and passed a billboard for Dairy Box chocolates with her face on it - I don't think she'd even told him about it! She went onwards and upwards very quickly after that and left him behind.

Phil_A

Quote from: Glebe on July 06, 2017, 12:05:11 PM
Most probably mentioned before, but who remembers the Weetabix 'Scary Stickers'? Someone had the red bug with teeth one (see below) as their avatar awhile ago, fucking terrifying.

I suspect a lot of people my age would probably recognise the red bug thing from the cover of the Psygnosis game Baal. They were using a lot of Roger Dean art back then, so I don't know if that was one of his.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: studpuppet on July 08, 2017, 10:12:34 AM
Careful. That 'prick tease' was nearly my mother! My dad started dating her in the late fifties when she was just a dancer...

Obligatory: Did he ever mention anything about glass coffee tables?

Glebe

Quote from: Phil_A on July 08, 2017, 11:09:28 AMI suspect a lot of people my age would probably recognise the red bug thing from the cover of the Psygnosis game Baal. They were using a lot of Roger Dean art back then, so I don't know if that was one of his.

It's Melvyn Grant, apparently.

I didn't notice until I read the comments for that Collector story, that the comic shop owner would appear to be Hugh Jelly from Julian Clary's Sticky Moments.

Serge

Heh, yeah, I used to love 'The Collector'. I was disappointed when I got older to find that John Fowles' book of the same name had no connection to the strip at all.