Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:34:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

'Scarred For Life, Volume One: The 1970s'

Started by Serge, April 20, 2017, 10:07:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crabwalk

This animated version of 'The Legend of Sleepy Hollow' is terrifying even by Picture Box standards. One for the '80s sequel?

https://youtu.be/xEMc-NilY-Q

scarred

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on April 27, 2017, 10:19:34 PM

But Vol:1 is a triumph*, well done.

Thank you. I know that Ste has checked out this thread too since I messaged him about it earlier and I can say that he is as delighted as I am that it has been so well received.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Crabwalk on April 27, 2017, 10:20:23 PM
This animated version of 'The Legend of Sleepy Hollow' is terrifying even by Picture Box standards. One for the '80s sequel?

It's the music, half the time in these 70s U.S. shows. God, I would cut off Ichabod's head myself for that Sleepy Hollow score.

Reminds me of this glorious theme and incidental music
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rjIm4mcw3w

kidsick5000

Quote from: Crabwalk on April 27, 2017, 10:20:23 PM

"Can you present in the style of an Le Carre interrogation?"

How quaint that it's from an era before pumpkin carving was well-known in the UK

Sydward Lartle

I wonder how many kids bricked it when this happened in the Goodies...

scarred

Quote from: Sydward Lartle on April 27, 2017, 10:52:46 PM
I wonder how many kids bricked it when this happened in the Goodies...

I loved that. And kitten kong. If the Goodies had been in (apart from a brief mention relating to Mrs Desiree Carthorse) we would have put in the South African episode.

Sydward Lartle

The BBC only showed the South Africa episode the once. They really didn't like it. Although its heart is in the right place and Philip Madoc is fantastic in it, hearing words like nignog, sambo, jigaboo and so on feels all out of place with the Goodies' universe. Another episode of theirs that was a bit jarring was Black and White Beauty. Bad enough that most of it is effectively cruelty to animals (something that gets my back up at the best of times) played for laughs, Tim deciding to call the horse 'n**ger'... no mate, not having that.

scarred

Quote from: Sydward Lartle on April 27, 2017, 11:05:52 PM
The BBC only showed the South Africa episode the once. They really didn't like it. Although its heart is in the right place and Philip Madoc is fantastic in it, hearing words like nignog, sambo, jigaboo and so on feels all out of place with the Goodies' universe. Another episode of theirs that was a bit jarring was Black and White Beauty. Bad enough that most of it is effectively cruelty to animals (something that gets my back up at the best of times) played for laughs, Tim deciding to call the horse 'n**ger'... no mate, not having that.

Maybe The Goodies should have had a full article after all. Tbh, the episodes I can genuinely remember watching at the time are the ecky thump one and the beanstalk one.

Sydward Lartle

Brundle-Fly

The Goodies things that freaked me out as little kid at the time: (Sydward, you're going to have to help me out here where these eps came from).

The lads are living in a sub-zero environment, so cold that the flames of a fire have frozen and Tim's hands have been immediately encased in ice after he puts them in a sink?

An advert slogan for a breakfast cereal, Harvest Moon? "Eat Harvest Moon or we'll break your fingers."

Bill squeezing his testicles with a giant pair of pliers?

The sing song Bellamy????

Christ, I loved that show. The only time I have genuinely 'pissed myself' was seeing The Movies episode on telly in 1975. I was nine though. But don't think I have ever laughed that much since. Watched it recently, still fantastic.

Sydward Lartle

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on April 27, 2017, 11:32:46 PM
The lads are living in a sub-zero environment, so cold that the flames of a fire have frozen and Tim's hands have been immediately encased in ice after he puts them in a sink?

Winter Olympics. Not one of the better episodes but has its moments. Peter Jones is the special guest.

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on April 27, 2017, 11:32:46 PMAn advert slogan for a breakfast cereal, Harvest Moon? "Eat Harvest Moon or we'll break your fingers."

It Might as Well Be String, where they start an advertising agency. It was a perfume by the way - 'Harvest Moon, the scent that lingers. Buy some or I'll break your fingers'.

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on April 27, 2017, 11:32:46 PMBill squeezing his testicles with a giant pair of pliers?

Punky Business, during Bill's slapstick version of the old musical number I'm in Love for the Very First Time.

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on April 27, 2017, 11:32:46 PMThe sing song Bellamy?

Animals from the final BBC series, where they dress up as giant rabbits for a spoof Watership Down ending.

The Movies is one of the episodes available to buy and watch online from the BBC Store, it's also on the Network DVD set At Last A Second Helping.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Sydward Lartle on April 27, 2017, 11:38:25 PM
Winter Olympics. Not one of the better episodes but has its moments. Peter Jones is the special guest.

It Might as Well Be String, where they start an advertising agency. It was a perfume by the way - 'Harvest Moon, the scent that lingers. Buy some or I'll break your fingers'.

Punky Business, during Bill's slapstick version of the old musical number I'm in Love for the Very First Time.

Animals from the final BBC series, where they dress up as giant rabbits for a spoof Watership Down ending.

The Movies is one of the episodes available to buy and watch online from the BBC Store, it's also on the Network DVD set At Last A Second Helping.

Cheers. Need to see them again. Had an old VHS collection of a few eps, At Last? from over ten years ago but what's the best DVD collection to get now? 

Sydward Lartle

Any of the three Network 2-disc sets will do just fine.

The Goodies At Last has Tower of London, Kitten Kong, Gender Education, Saturday Night Grease, Kung Fu Kapers, the Goodies and the Beanstalk, Lighthouse Keeping Loonies and Earthanasia.

At Last A Second Helping has the Movies, South Africa, Come Dancing, Radio Goodies, Punky Business, Bunfight at the OK Tearooms, Scoutrageous and the End.

At Last Back For More Again has Goodies Rule OK, Cecily, the Music Lovers, the New Office, 2001 and a Bit, Royal Command, Camelot and It Might as Well Be String.

Rumour has it there are more episodes in the pipeline!

Brundle-Fly

I've seen an ITV one in Poundland recently. I just remember them as a bit dire. Only a pound though.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: Sydward Lartle on April 27, 2017, 11:54:31 PMRumour has it there are more episodes in the pipeline!

Hopefully including Hype Pressure, arguably my favourite!

scarred

We have a fairly substantial list of 80s tv shows, films etc to cover but do you have any suggestions that maybe we haven't thought of?

Glebe

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on April 28, 2017, 12:17:20 AMI've seen an ITV one in Poundland recently. I just remember them as a bit dire. Only a pound though.

That's the ultimate CaB post.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: scarred on April 28, 2017, 07:15:26 AM
We have a fairly substantial list of 80s tv shows, films etc to cover but do you have any suggestions that maybe we haven't thought of?

I think the eighties was when the word "gross" came into its own, possibly kick-started by Mel Cebulash's books, Vol 2 1980. It was the era 'pimples' were now called 'zits'.

Some 80s gross highlights off the top of my head.

And the daddy of them all, Grossberger!*

*Bloody hell, I just learnt today that the Grossberger actor (Erland Van Lidth De Jeude) died seven years later after making Stir Crazy (1980), age 34 of heart failure.

scarred

Great suggestions, thank you. Personally I found the cabbage patch dolls creepy enough never mind the garbage pail kids. Adam Bomb fits right into our nuclear paranoia themes though.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: scarred on April 28, 2017, 01:55:39 PM
Great suggestions, thank you. Personally I found the cabbage patch dolls creepy enough never mind the garbage pail kids. Adam Bomb fits right into our nuclear paranoia themes though.

The nuclear explosion in the opening credits of Not The Nine O'clock News used to shit me up. What was their gag? Paraphrasing here

"Ronald Reagan is a good Christian leader, he will bring us closer to our creator."

Brrrr.

scarred

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on April 28, 2017, 02:14:27 PM
The nuclear explosion in the opening credits of Not The Nine O'clock News used to shit me up. What was their gag? Paraphrasing here

"Ronald Reagan is a good Christian leader, he will bring us closer to our creator."

Brrrr.

I was listening to their song 'All Out Superpower Confrontation' the other night: "If I had a bomb and a plane to drop it from. I'd drop it on you world leaders. I've had it up to here with your verbal diarrhoea, you power crazy bleeders'

Norton Canes

In a similar vein: Spitting Image's 'Every Bomb You Make'

For obvious reasons I remember the setting sun as being a nuclear explosion.

studpuppet

Quote from: scarred on April 28, 2017, 02:51:29 PM
I was listening to their song 'All Out Superpower Confrontation' the other night: "If I had a bomb and a plane to drop it from. I'd drop it on you world leaders. I've had it up to here with your verbal diarrhoea, you power crazy bleeders'

"Jimmy Carter must've known; that's why he stayed at home."

scarred

If anyone wants to hear my dulcet tones (or lack of) then Ste Brotherstone and I are interviewd on Radio Merseyside at 7:25am next Tuesday morning. Yes it's early and yes it's Merseyside but you should be able to get it on iPlayer in the UK.

kngen

Ordered (and discount code cushions the blow of postage to the US, so cheers dmillburn)

On the subject of things that scared the shit out of us, here's my personal slice of existential terror-inducing nostalgia that some sadist thought would be appropriate to use as the titles of a fucking Television for Schools programme

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: kngen on April 28, 2017, 06:15:30 PM
Ordered (and discount code cushions the blow of postage to the US, so cheers dmillburn)

On the subject of things that scared the shit out of us, here's my personal slice of existential terror-inducing nostalgia that some sadist thought would be appropriate to use as the titles of a fucking Television for Schools programme

WTF?

Brundle-Fly

Not trying to muscle in on your glory but here's another possible one for the eighties book. Advertising seemed to really embrace the London spiv/ geezer trend of that decade with the popularity of Minder, Only Fools..., EastEnders, the bands, Madness, The Pirahnas, Bad Manners.

We enjoyed the cheeky chirpy Do-It-All, Kwik-Fit, Birdseye Steak Grills (we hope it's chips, its chips) ads. Not forgetting Lorraine Chase's Campari commercials (1979?), the really irksome Hofmeister Bear, the Toshiba commercial where confusingly Ian Dury raps to Alexei Sayle's Ullo John Got A New Motor and Heineken's piss-take of Pygmalion "The wart-ah in Majwakah!"

The Weetabix skinheads campaign has to be the oddest attempt to encourage kids to maintain their daily roughage intake by employing what looks like some NF thugs to threaten the viewer into submission. Not to tar all skinheads with that particular brush but these barley extract bastards seem very dodgy. They even take umbrage with "airy fairy' cereals. Note the very subtle gay hand gesture the head Weetabix does at this point in the first commercial. They hate those homosexual Frosties and don't get them started on Co-Co Pops. I'm trying to spot a couple of the voices: Bob Hoskins? Chas Smash? Phil Daniels?

Somebody has uploaded all of them into this clip and if you watch it to the bitter end, it's fascinating how the brand transforms them into break dancing casuals, Eighties pop kids, ravers and eventually ghosthunters and warriors until they actually look like middle-aged dads going to watch their sons' play football at some local comprehensive in Braintree. Perhaps this whole campaign was the main influence on Shane Meadows' This Is England series?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEV46ca55jQ

And somebody has mashed it up with a 4 Skins Oi number.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3Lv0iKhaTs

Enjoy it, if you know whats good for you. Okaay?

Sydward Lartle

Sydward Lartle

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on April 28, 2017, 12:17:20 AM
I've seen an ITV one in Poundland recently. I just remember them as a bit dire. Only a pound though.

I got rid of my copy of the LWT series. Some brilliant extras on it, such as the Goodies on Shang-a-Lang and Get it Together, but the programmes themselves aren't up to much. I think it's been fairly well documented that Bill and Graeme took the ITV shilling to pay for their divorces, only to find that LWT didn't really have the technical expertise necessary to make programmes to the same standard (and on the same budget) as Auntie Beeb.

scarred

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on April 28, 2017, 07:19:21 PM
Not trying to muscle in on your glory but here's another possible one for the eighties book. Advertising seemed to really embrace the London spiv/ geezer trend of that decade with the popularity of Minder, Only Fools..., EastEnders, the bands, Madness, The Pirahnas, Bad Manners.

The geezer/spiv thing is already on my radar (Prospects too) as a possible angle, the lighter side of unemployment to contrast against the bleak as anything Boys from the Blackstuff. The Weetabix idea is a great one. Feel free to keep the suggestions rolling in, the to do list is a work in progress. As always I appreciate all feedback

BTW: here's a short and sweet review from today's Irish News:

http://www.irishnews.com/arts/2017/04/28/news/cult-movie-scarred-for-life-a-reminder-of-the-weird-side-of-70s-pop-culture-1008578/

Pleased with that.