Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 12:14:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

HIGNFY new series=last chance to retain credibility

Started by KennyMonster, April 21, 2017, 01:14:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

olliebean

Why did Hislop get booed for alluding to the Tory election fraud scandal?

Quincey

He also got booed when he had a go at Lord Rothermere. Perhaps the studio audience just want criticism of Corbyn and fat politicians.

Rocket Surgery

Jesus. I've defended this show previously but that was fucking agonising.

Maybe[nb]definitely[/nb] I was just in the wrong mood going into it, but that episode pissed me off in a multitude of different ways.

MattD

Good to see Hislop questioning the BBC's lack of Tory scrutiny.

Hopefully the paranoid folk on the left will stop slandering him as a Tory now. Although he will now incur the wrath of all paranoid right wingers who will label him a communist now.

Mr Banlon

Quote from: Quincey on April 29, 2017, 12:38:14 AM
He also got booed when he had a go at Lord Rothermere. Perhaps the studio audience just want criticism of Corbyn and fat politicians.
There was also a moan/groan from some of the audience when he made a comment about Trump not winning the popular vote.

kidsick5000

Quote from: olliebean on April 28, 2017, 11:55:22 PM
Why did Hislop get booed for alluding to the Tory election fraud scandal?

It's a worldwide issue. Say something that sounds controversial and audiences have been pavlov dogged into making some noise to indicate it's close to the bone.

I doubt half could tell you who Rothermere was. But it sounds edgy.

Stephen Colbert was questioning what his crowd were cheering for the other day.
Bill Maher has been getting visibly pissed off with his audiences reflex responses.

You could even say 'I'm Glad Hitler died' and you'd get an ooh.

Audiences are conditioned to give only so many responses.

Rich Uncle Skeleton

Going to wait for the extended version as usual (can't be arsed watching it twice) but what I've read elsewhere about last night's episode hasn't been good.

I honestly expected the first episode to be pure shit after reading this thread but it could have been worse. At least the Tory election scandal got mentioned and if Hislop's actually forcing them into the conversation for a second week running then good on him I guess!

Quincey

Watched the latest one. So anti Corbyn and anti Labour, let the Tories off so lightly. Quite funny in places though, not sure I liked all the HAHA does she had dementia.

Quincey

Also the usual Haha Jacob Rees Mogg is old fashioned joke.

Stonefish

What's wrong with the new titles? They seemed pretty much the same type of thing from what I remember.

Rocket Surgery

Pretty solid episode this week, in my worthless opinion. Maybe down to particularly low expectations after last time, maybe down to some especially ridiculous news this week, maybe a fortuitous instance of all the guest panelists being on form and Merton being vaguely awake at the same time.

Maybe I'm just in less of a foul mood than I was last week. Point being, I actually laughed a few times and that's all I was really hoping for.

Quincey

It was quite good this week as you say and actually had a pop at the Tories a couple of times.

mobias

Friday's was the first of this series that I've enjoyed. Josh Widdecombe even made me laugh, for the first time ever I think. Wow.....

neardark

Quote from: mobias on May 14, 2017, 03:37:50 PM
Friday's was the first of this series that I've enjoyed. Josh Widdecombe even made me laugh, for the first time ever I think. Wow.....

Yeah I laughed at his Apprentice thing and the thing about putting the corden around the horse thing

Bronzy

Josh Widdecombe is living proof that anyone who is even slightly humorous can be on TV, if promoted and pushed enough.

kidsick5000

Quote from: Bronzy on May 14, 2017, 05:15:12 PM
Josh Widdecombe is living proof that anyone who is even slightly humorous can be on TV, if promoted and pushed enough.

Part of the list of people who aren't amazing stand-up comedians, don't really have that killer bit, but they can talk well and know how to exclaim "What's that about!?!" at the right time.

Bronzy

Quote from: kidsick5000 on May 14, 2017, 05:35:44 PM
Part of the list of people who aren't amazing stand-up comedians, don't really have that killer bit, but they can talk well and know how to exclaim "What's that about!?!" at the right time.

Widdecombe's delivery really grates on me. I actually think his material isn't that shit, if a better comedian such as Frankie Boyle performed similar material, I would probably say it was decent. I just cannot stand his voice and his faux-indignation, it's so poor that it's almost unwatchable for me.

I think that's the difference between an okay comedian and a good or great comedian, good or great comedians can take often average material and make it funny, whereas okay comedians are just... Okay.

kidsick5000

Quote from: Bronzy on May 14, 2017, 06:28:13 PM
Widdecombe's delivery really grates on me. I actually think his material isn't that shit, if a better comedian such as Frankie Boyle performed similar material, I would probably say it was decent. I just cannot stand his voice and his faux-indignation, it's so poor that it's almost unwatchable for me.

I find him similar to comedians like Michael Mcintyre - the ones who build a routine about the supposed stupidity of some device or behaviour of staff - when they're the one's who don't get it.
"...and somehow you're expected to know which way the door opens when it doesn't even have a handle. Gaaah"

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: lankyguy95 on April 21, 2017, 07:51:45 PM
Wow, anyone else seen this? A clip from the pilot version with John Lloyd.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qD0DOmrVfZY

Who on earth thought it would be a good idea to have Paul Merton on the left side of the TV screen and Hislop on the right? Thank god sanity prevailed at Hat Trick to rectify this folly before it went to transmission.

Bronzy

Quote from: kidsick5000 on May 14, 2017, 07:44:15 PM
I find him similar to comedians like Michael Mcintyre - the ones who build a routine about the supposed stupidity of some device or behaviour of staff - when they're the one's who don't get it.
"...and somehow you're expected to know which way the door opens when it doesn't even have a handle. Gaaah"

It must be awful being them, everything they touch seems to break or fuck up or assault them.

Shame.

kidsick5000

Quote from: Bronzy on May 14, 2017, 08:12:16 PM
It must be awful being them, everything they touch seems to break or fuck up or assault them.

Shame.

Well, they seem to get quite good careers out of it. The difficult part must be trying to find things to willfully not understand the basics of.

They're related in some way to the people who get things wrong in infomercials. The ones never able to open a jar without throwing the contents over the kitchen, or slice a tomato with it flying to the wall.
Situations nobody finds themselves in because normal people don't make a fuss of getting things to work for them.

Bronzy

Quote from: kidsick5000 on May 14, 2017, 08:59:31 PM
Well, they seem to get quite good careers out of it. The difficult part must be trying to find things to willfully not understand the basics of.

They're related in some way to the people who get things wrong in infomercials. The ones never able to open a jar without throwing the contents over the kitchen, or slice a tomato with it flying to the wall.
Situations nobody finds themselves in because normal people don't make a fuss of getting things to work for them.

"Isn't it annoying when you go to grab the remote off the table and you end up knocking over the bowl of wotsits next to it? Eh? Eh?"

Bingo Fury

The jokes certainly seemed to have a higher hit-rate than usual. Is Harewood just a really good presenter, or did the HIGNFY gag-writers decide to make more of an effort this week, do you reckon?

neardark

That was shit. Always seems to have the atmosphere of a funeral whenever Frankie Boyle hosts it.

Mini

I was at the recording. Surprised they even managed to cobble together 30 minutes.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: neardark on May 19, 2017, 10:41:45 PM
That was shit. Always seems to have the atmosphere of a funeral whenever Frankie Boyle hosts it.

Don't understand why he hosts it. They don't like him, he doesn't like them.

DrGreggles

Maybe he's trying to bring it down from within.

JoeyBananaduck

Quote from: Mini on May 20, 2017, 12:05:39 AM
I was at the recording. Surprised they even managed to cobble together 30 minutes.

Just how overdubbed was the audience reaction then? Every other 'gag' seemed to get about 8 seconds of guffaws with every third or so being followed by rapturous applause.

kidsick5000

I think Frankie Boyle has a lovely turn of phrase every so often.
"As if the colour grey didn't care if you lived or died"

The first half wasn't bad but the second felt like the aftermath of an argument that happened while you were out of the room.

DrGreggles

I like Frankie Boyle when he's being funny - and he bloody can be.
Less so when he's trying to be Sadowitz.