Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:53:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

HIGNFY new series=last chance to retain credibility

Started by KennyMonster, April 21, 2017, 01:14:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thenoise

Quote from: kidsick5000 on May 14, 2017, 08:59:31 PM
Well, they seem to get quite good careers out of it. The difficult part must be trying to find things to willfully not understand the basics of.
Especially as they become multi millionaires and less and less in touch with the way normal people live their lives.  A bit like when pop stars start writing songs about touring and dodging paparazzi all the time instead of teenage love affairs and rejection.

Rich Uncle Skeleton

Quote from: Stonefish on May 06, 2017, 04:10:21 PM
What's wrong with the new titles? They seemed pretty much the same type of thing from what I remember.

They look like some BBC Three show, I miss the drawn cartoons, this just looks terrible. They've changed very little about the show over the years, why try and lure people in with a completely different looking opening credits?

Quincey

So many actual stories about the election ignored to have a quiz about what Theresa May says she likes. The only actual story about the election covered was May posing next to a Bartleby's with not many supporters.

And that ancient newsreaders in the same colour tops clip.

Cloud

I like it and "I'm not an SJW but..." - using the "trans fats" joke?  Jeeesus.

bobloblaw

Merton in today's Radio Times:

"I remember Paul McCartney saying they worked hard to make every album different and that ethic is one I've taken up [on HIGNFY]. Nobody says I look tired or bored in it."

So there you go. Every series, he's working hard to make it different, with no sign of slouching.

Quincey

How will they cover Manchester?

I imagine the guest host will give us an earnest talk and a couple of facts showing how Manchester people stand up to terrorists.

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: bobloblaw on May 23, 2017, 12:46:35 PM
Nobody says I look tired or bored in it.

That's got to be sarcasm, surely?

Quote from: Quincey on May 23, 2017, 03:16:23 PM
How will they cover Manchester?

I imagine the guest host will give us an earnest talk and a couple of facts showing how Manchester people stand up to terrorists.

It's Ed Balls, isn't it?

Bronzy

I always mishear the word "Aleppo" as "Calippo", so whenever they mention Aleppo getting the shit bombed out of it (I'm paraphrasing) on the news, I end up desperately wanting an ice lolly.

I don't even like Calippos that much, more of a Twister man myself.

Bronzy

Bronzy

I've just realised that I've made a mistake.

The Aleppo post was meant for the Manchester bombing thread, if anyone is wondering why the fuck I've started going on about Syria and ice lollies when no one was talking about either of those things.

yesitsme

I got the feeling from Friday's that everyone was shit scared of yer Boyles of this world.  Panel and audience seemed desperate to be seen laughing at his jokes so he didn't pull them up.

Have to admit I quite like Giles, he's a good raconteur and terrific bullshitter.  Boyle shutting him down was a bit rude.

Is that what I'm unhappy about?  HIGNFY being a bit rude to a d-list, minor TV apearee most famous for wearing jumpers and sitting next to a cloth rat (insert Nick Owen gag here)?

Oh aye, whatserface the other week?  Think she wore that top the last time she was on.  I'm all in favour of there being more women on dull panel-go-round shows but c'mon girls.  Sharpen up that wardrobe!

Nobody accuses Paul Merton of wearing the same clothes do they?

*on the subject of GMTV do you think Anne and Nick ever got it on?  I've never thought about it but now I can't stop.  Anne was a bit of alright in her prime.

thenoise

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on May 23, 2017, 08:15:26 PM
That's got to be sarcasm, surely?
Hard to tell with Merton.  Angus Deayton's description of them being last ones in the bar together slapping each other on the back and saying how great the show was never seemed particularly true to his on screen image either.

I admired him for dropping out of the show when he felt it had become tired and stuck in a rut (series 11).  It did make me appreciate his presence as his replacements were all shite (Eddie Izzard's surreal nonsense in particular didn't work at all in the context of the show).  Now, I guess he is older and it's a steady income, a job's a job, and he can do whatever the hell he wants with the rest of his time (host silent comedy festivals and documentaries, do boring travel documentaries so the BBC picks up his holiday bills, etc.)

yesitsme

Christ that was poor on Friday.

Hislop doing the 'stiff upper lip' bit towards ISIS who probably gave up watching years ago thus missing his glib comments about the Manchester bombing, Janet St Porter and her fucking voice and opinions on fuck all - you know what annoys me about her?  Apart from everything that is?

Y'know when the Sir Jimmy Savile MBE, KVBE, OBE, ALL THAT, story broke?  She came on and said how she'd 'heard' rumours but couldn't do anything because she was a meek and mild female in this cock filled leviathon?  My fucking arse she couldn't say anything - she's been spouting off about anything, anyone and everything all her life. Why keep schtum on this?  Get her to fuck.

So she was on, I can't remember who was the guest or if Merton spoke though as I became mesmerised by Ed Balls ineptitude to read the autocue without dragging his finger across the bottom of it.

Jesus Fuck - this guy was running the country was he?  Nae wunner we're in such a mess.

Edit.  Thinking about yer Angus Deyton.  Has anyone spent as much time in the TV wilderness for such a small, almost 'industry standard' offence?  I know he crops up doing his one joke here and there but he used to be all over the show doing his one joke didn't he?

Mini

Quote from: yesitsme on May 30, 2017, 03:40:46 PM
Edit.  Thinking about yer Angus Deyton.  Has anyone spent as much time in the TV wilderness for such a small, almost 'industry standard' offence?  I know he crops up doing his one joke here and there but he used to be all over the show doing his one joke didn't he?

"So no change there then."

yesitsme

Quote from: Mini on May 31, 2017, 10:17:25 AM

That's the fellow! 

Was he once a contender for the BBC Voice of Brains Title?  I think he must have been.  Now look at him, stood in a kitchen, cramming vol au vents down his gullet like there's no tomorrow.  He's one step up from a tramp rifling the bins outside Greggs.

Steven

I remember noticing in college this was his standard punchline every show so made note of it to a friend, he then got annoyed with me as he proceeded to go home and watch HIGNFY with his family and bet them Deayton would say it, he didn't.

It reminded me of that Big Train don't pass other people's opinions off as your own sketch.

Mini

Victor Lewis-Smith pointed it out I think. I'm not sure if Deayton actually said it every episode, but you can hear it so clearly in his smug voice that he might as well have done.

QuoteIt reminded me of that Big Train don't pass other people's opinions off as your own sketch.

That reminds me of this Armando Iannucci sketch.

petril

mippy

They let Richard Bacon back on t'telly, and he was a children's presenter ffs.

yesitsme

Quote from: mippy on June 01, 2017, 10:28:40 PM
They let Richard Bacon back on t'telly, and he was a children's presenter ffs.

I will give Bacon credit for a couple of things.

I saw him hosting some music fesitval thing and Geri Halliwell was going all bantz with some fly-by-night, two-bit, shitehawks about dogs or summat.  Bacon went 'Put a sock in it Geri, you're on telly here - no one is interested' or words to that effect.  Shut her right down.

I was on his short lived quiz show 19Keys (he hosts a lot of shows that only have one series if you've noticed) and he was pretty affable and had a lovely suit on.  If I won the lottery that's what I'd go for.

And he has managed to keep his foot on the pedal despite being held up as the poster boy of bad behaviour.  If you'd beamed down from Mars you might be forgiven for thinking he was burying corpses in the Blue Peter Garden but fair play to the lad he seems to have done ok.

At least he might be able to follow the autocue which doesn't seem to be a consideration on HIGNFY these days.

JoeyBananaduck

Quote from: yesitsme on May 30, 2017, 03:40:46 PM
Christ that was poor on Friday.

Hislop doing the 'stiff upper lip' bit towards ISIS who probably gave up watching years ago thus missing his glib comments about the Manchester bombing, Janet St Porter and her fucking voice and opinions on fuck all - you know what annoys me about her?  Apart from everything that is?

Y'know when the Sir Jimmy Savile MBE, KVBE, OBE, ALL THAT, story broke?  She came on and said how she'd 'heard' rumours but couldn't do anything because she was a meek and mild female in this cock filled leviathon?  My fucking arse she couldn't say anything - she's been spouting off about anything, anyone and everything all her life. Why keep schtum on this?  Get her to fuck.

So she was on, I can't remember who was the guest or if Merton spoke though as I became mesmerised by Ed Balls ineptitude to read the autocue without dragging his finger across the bottom of it.

Jesus Fuck - this guy was running the country was he?  Nae wunner we're in such a mess.

Fancy hearing my Janet Street-Porter story? She lives quite near us and once had a bunch of books sent over to the local library - the letter attached mentioning that she'd been in and 'found the selection predictably poor'. They were largely a bunch of academics related tomes that had clearly been given as gifts a few years ago and never been read. Anyway, don't look a gift horse in the mouth (chortle) etc., on the shelves they went.

2 weeks later at the library in rocks Janet Street-Porter. "I never got a bloody thank you".

pigamus

My God but V C-M looked gorgeous last night. As soon as I saw her I made a noise like an abandoned puppy locked in a flooded cellar.

notjosh

I managed about 10 minutes this week, all of which seemed to be along the lines of...

"And who can tell me what the funny thing was that happened?"

"Was it this funny thing?"

"Well, let's have a look."

VIDEO OF FUNNY THING HAPPENING

"Yes, it was that funny thing. But what was the funny thing that happened next...?"

It's basically just 5 people reading out the last week in twitter isn't it?

MOLLOY

He did have recognisable tropes and lines but he was also funny and a very good writer. The rot on HIGNFY pretty much coincided with them getting rid of him. Standard of writing went waaaaaay down.

JoeyBananaduck

Agreed with notjosh - Twitter has completely eradicated the need for HIGNFY. Within 20 minutes of every incident all the jokes have been made (usually in a more concise and creative way), so who's waiting for Friday so they can hear it from a squinting Ian Hislop?

DrGreggles

Quote from: MOLLOY on June 04, 2017, 06:59:05 PM
He did have recognisable tropes and lines but he was also funny and a very good writer. The rot on HIGNFY pretty much coincided with them getting rid of him. Standard of writing went waaaaaay down.

I think it was in decline well before then.
For a lot of the 90s it was 'must see'.

yesitsme

It could just be us that have grown out of HIGNFY.  Since it burst on the scene with its hilarious sideways glances at the week's news there's been billions of light hearted panel shows all taking sideways glances at things.

The only people to have benefited from this peripherally viewed take on life are politicians who can come on, stick it out for 1/2 an hour and josh along with the panel - ho ho, yes we are all bent bastards aren't we! And Jimmy, Phil, Sandy, Paul, Stephen, Rory and the Russells who all take a straight down the middle glance at their pay packet.

Me?  I've always been a cynical fuck.

JoeyBananaduck

Quote from: yesitsme on June 05, 2017, 01:17:57 PM
It could just be us that have grown out of HIGNFY.  Since it burst on the scene with its hilarious sideways glances at the week's news there's been billions of light hearted panel shows all taking sideways glances at things.

The only people to have benefited from this peripherally viewed take on life are politicians who can come on, stick it out for 1/2 an hour and josh along with the panel - ho ho, yes we are all bent bastards aren't we! And Jimmy, Phil, Sandy, Paul, Stephen, Rory and the Russells who all take a straight down the middle glance at their pay packet.

Me?  I've always been a cynical fuck.

Yeah but it doesn't attract a new audience either. None of these newly politically motivated 20-somethings have any interest in picking this rotten old fruit up off the ground. Nor should they, they've got their own shit.

jake thunder

Just noticed how broad Ross Noble is. Very wide. Not fat wide. Just wide.