Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 12:08:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Cannon and Ball

Started by Sydward Lartle, April 22, 2017, 07:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sydward Lartle

Tommy Cannon with a 'tache looks like Charles Bronson with a skinhead. Bobby without a 'tache looks like a sad lion.

EDIT BOOM! New page. You really 'aaaate me Tommeh!

JoeyBananaduck

Dare I ask, have any of the L&L enthusiasts here stumped up for a copy of Syd's Christian themed comedy tome 'A Little (see, that's his name that is. Good eh?) Heavenly Humour'?

Sydward Lartle

Quote from: JoeyBananaduck on April 24, 2017, 08:53:37 AM
Dare I ask, have any of the L&L enthusiasts here stumped up for a copy of Syd's Christian themed comedy tome 'A Little (see, that's his name that is. Good eh?) Heavenly Humour'?

I'll get around to it, but if it's anything like the Winebibber, Syd can stuff it up his arse and fuck off while he's doing it.

Then there's this little number...

Billy Graham with red braces. Rock on, Jesus!

Black_Bart

A mix of Abbott & Costello & Martin & Lewis, for the british working class.

Gulftastic

Watched them as a kid, but never really loved them. In 1986 went to see them doing panto in Bradford, and Bobby Ball was hilarious. I remember nearly crying with laughter. Always had a soft spot for him since then.

Tommy Cannon always seemed a bit sinister to me. The sort of chap who'd try and shag your other half whilst you were in hospital.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Gulftastic on April 24, 2017, 04:47:38 PM
Bobby Ball was hilarious. I remember nearly crying with laughter. Always had a soft spot for him since then.

I reckon out of Little and Large and Cannon and Ball, Bobby Ball was the one who had something that could be described as talent. A bit of stage presence. A smidge of razzamatazz. To hear someone with a straight face saying Syd Little had more talent than anyone on Earth, let alone Bobby Ball, is quite shocking. The one thing I thought CaB agreed on was the utter lack of talent in Supersonic Syd Little.

Some people just have to be different.

Glebe

Quote from: Gulftastic on April 24, 2017, 04:47:38 PMTommy Cannon always seemed a bit sinister to me.

Security guard with a dark past.

And I do mean MURDER.[nb]Just kidding, Tommy![/nb]

Sydward Lartle

Quote from: checkoutgirl on April 24, 2017, 04:54:50 PM
To hear someone with a straight face saying Syd Little had more talent than anyone on Earth, let alone Bobby Ball, is quite shocking.

B...b...but Syd played the guitar! That's enough, isn't it?

No, you're quite right.

Keebleman

The thing is, Little and Large seemed to exceed the success due to them by about 1000%, whereas I always felt Cannon and Ball were somewhat unfilfilled.  If they'd had better material and been more willing to leave their comfort zone they could have developed their talents, both solo and as a pair, in really interesting directions.  They had the potential for it, Ball especially.

This sketch hints a little at what they could have achieved.  It also shows that, at this stage in their career at least, there was a genuine warmth between them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fy7yXy9Yyco

Sydward Lartle

I thought the spontaneous corpsing and shared laughter when one of Bobby's braces snapped off was funnier than the 'completed' sketch which followed it, which just provided more of the same old 'I'm gonna nut 'im Tommeh' comedian-as-attack-dog bollocks.

yesitsme

For me the Christian thing seems totally cynical and calculated.  I bet the charisma vacuum that is Tommy Cannon believes in NOTHING and Bobby would rob you blind if you left him alone for thirty seconds.

Despite my initial keeness on the little one with the 'tache who went 'Rock on Tommy!' I think all that faux-corpsing got boring pretty quick.  I'd watch 'em if they were on but I wouldn't enjoy it.

Don't know how it was for those of you who grew up outside Granadaland but they did a few adverts.  I'm not sure if they did 'Walk Tall at Tommy Ball's' although I think Stuart Hall might have but I certainly remember them (rightly or wrongly) hawking carpets.

Sydward Lartle

I remember them doing adverts for Safestyle but that's about it.

Something I drew for the 'MS Paint celebrities' thread...

Sydward Lartle

Quote from: yesitsme on April 25, 2017, 10:43:15 AM
Bobby would rob you blind if you left him alone for thirty seconds.

I know someone who works in a hotel in Lytham (Blackpool's relatively upmarket little brother) and she grew up in the world of yer Dawsons, yer Grumbleweeds, yer Doddys and the rest of them knockin' 'em dead at the end of the three piers. Naturally I asked her about Little and Large, and she pretty much confirmed what I found out from the hour or so I spent in their company back in the nineties - Syd is pretty much the world's nicest man (albeit decidedly low on talent / charisma / stagecraft), Eddie's alright in small doses, though he may conceivably have mellowed a bit since his heart troubles. I asked her about Cannon and Ball, and she described Tomm-eh as 'a human void', which wasn't too bad, but when I mentioned Bobb-eh - Jesus Christ, the gloves were off. The phrase 'horrible little shit' barely seems adequate. What can you say about a man even Jim Davidson hated the sight of?

DrunkCountry

C&B were on Celebrtity Antiques Roadtrip t'other day.

QuoteLegendary comedy duo Tommy Cannon and Bobby Ball hit the antiques trail. Hilarity ensues as they shop around North Yorkshire, and the competition hits fever pitch as they converge on the auction in Harrogate.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b06qbchx

wosl

Quote from: DrunkCountry on April 25, 2017, 04:30:15 PM
Quote from: BBC blurbHilarity ensues

The phrase that sets your teeth into a rictus clamp.

Quote from: wosl on April 25, 2017, 04:39:47 PM

The phrase that sets your teeth into a rictus clamp.

One of those cliches like 'titters and mirth a-plenty' on a kids' comic cover.

Sydward Lartle

Someone sent me a couple of Cannon and Ball badges for Christmas as an 'ironic' present. They were in the bin on Boxing Day morning. I'm surprised it took me that long to throw the fucking things away.

DrGreggles

Quote from: Sydward Lartle on April 25, 2017, 04:00:17 PM
I remember them doing adverts for Safestyle but that's about it.

Something I drew for the 'MS Paint celebrities' thread...

Ross Kemp and the drummer from FGTH?

Sydward Lartle

Pedro Gill's ears must be burning right now.

Awful thing, that tinnitus.

royce coolidge

I sat through boys in blue,my only real memory is that Suzanne Dannielle made me feel very strange tinglings in my 11 year old knackers.God what a woman !
I always thought Tommy was a little like Ted Rogers,a very thin layer of "showbiz" masking a murderous rage.

Sydward Lartle

Bernard Manning on the Boys in Blue - "I hope their next film's a comedy!"

You can watch the whole film here.

DrGreggles

Sydward Lartle

Keebleman

Quote from: Sydward Lartle on April 25, 2017, 09:07:11 PM

You can watch the whole film here.

Directed by Val 'Quatermass Experiment, Day the Earth Caught Fire, When Dinosaurs Ruled the Earth, Confessions of a Window Cleaner' Guest though.

Glebe

You can picture Tommy mowing his lawn and popping to the bookies. Then going to the pub and having a game of darts. And doing a bit of golf on the weekend. In a sensible jumper with a nice watch.

Meanwhile, Bobby is secretly murdering children and burying them on the heath.

Sydward Lartle

I seem to remember a recent(ish) magazine interview with Bobby Ball where he listed his favourite film as Dead Man Walking, which is the story of a convicted murderer seeking forgiveness before he's executed.

No smoke without fire...

Glebe

Quote from: Sydward Lartle on April 26, 2017, 10:55:35 AMI seem to remember a recent(ish) magazine interview with Bobby Ball where he listed his favourite film as Dead Man's Shoes

Wasn't "The Boys in Blue" effectively a remake of the 1930s Will Hay comedy, "Ask A Policeman"?  Which Val Guest had also worked on.

JoeyBananaduck

Glebe

Weirdly, another Hammer stalwart, Peter Sasdy, directed both Adrian Mole series in the '80s.