Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 10:36:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The fantasy remake/ sequel/ prequel wishlist thread

Started by Brundle-Fly, April 22, 2017, 10:22:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brundle-Fly

Thread idea prompted by spotting this boxset in Sainsbury today, the clumsily titled straight-to-DVD sequel, We Still Steal The Old Way (2017) to the ludicrous, amoral Cockney gangster caper, We Still Kill The Old Way (2014) 

Putting this aside, are there any films that you would love to see remade or be followed up with a sequel/ prequel that have not been offered that distinction yet?

Come on, let's get all our ideas ripped off by the culturally bankrupt movie industry.

REMAKE:

I would kill to see the classic but dog-eared Hammer flick The Devil Rides Out (1968) remade with the League Of Gents boys on board.

SEQUEL:

Close Encounters Of The Third Kind (1977)

Roy Neary (Richard Dreyfuss) returns to Earth after spending four decades with extra-terrestrials. He is dismissed by NASA who claim the events of 1977 never occurred.

What is the 4th kind?

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

As I think I've said a few times over the years on here, John Carpenter's Prince of Darkness is a big steaming pile of squandered potential. A remake that was actually good would fantastic.

mothman

Ooh, yeah, PoD would be a good one for sequel and/or remake. Keeping with the Carpenter theme, I'd love to see a sequel to Ghost of Mars, which for all it's... it's, you know, is a real favourite of mine. In fact, while we're at it, let's also all agree we could stand to see more Snake Plissken?

Glebe

It'll probably be shit, but I'm looking forward with fanboy enthusiasm to Gremlins 3.

Dr Syntax Head

The Mad Max reboot with the beautiful Tom Hardy got me well hard. I cannot wait for a sequel to that but only if George Miller is making it. And Tom Hardy is in it.

I see Locke as a slow Mad Max

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

mothman

Sal Vicuso

Obviously it's very unlikely, but I'd love to see Gibson reprise the role, or even better take over directing duties from Miller at some point. For all his unpleasant character flaws the boy knows how to direct an action scene

AliasTheCat

I'm of the opinion that the ideal films to remake are the ones where a good idea wasn't done justice originally.
I've always felt that in Caligula there was a good film struggling to get out, and I'd love to see a version of it as it might have been. Get Malcolm McDowell to play Tiberius, maybe Paul Bettany as Caligula and you're away.
Also, Highlander's a fun, schlocky film but it's surely worth remaking and playing around with the idea a little more.

greenman

Quote from: Sal Vicuso on April 23, 2017, 10:13:29 AM
Obviously it's very unlikely, but I'd love to see Gibson reprise the role, or even better take over directing duties from Miller at some point. For all his unpleasant character flaws the boy knows how to direct an action scene

With someone else scripting year I could see that working well if Miller doesn't want to carry on, Apocalypto is basically Mad Max on foot.

momatt

I would like to see Tron 3 please.
Boards of Canada are doing the soundtrack.
Not sure who I'd like to direct.  James Mangold maybe?

Bazooka

Quote from: Dr Syntax Head on April 23, 2017, 12:25:21 AM
The Mad Max reboot with the beautiful Tom Hardy got me well hard. I cannot wait for a sequel to that but only if George Miller is making it. And Tom Hardy is in it.

I see Locke as a slow Mad Max

The above for me too, but with Ainsley Harriott as Max.

Quote from: Sal Vicuso on April 23, 2017, 10:13:29 AM

Yeah I'd like to see Mel back as a grizzled Old Man Max. I know he's said and done hateful things in his personal life but I don't really give a shit what actors get up to when they're not acting.

Replies From View

I've always thought that the direct-to-video second sequel Honey We Shrunk Ourselves didn't do justice to the idea of the at-home scientist accidentally shrinking himself and his wife, before breaking the bad news to her.

So a remake of that would be hugely welcome.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Replies From View on May 02, 2017, 06:38:42 PM
I've always thought that the direct-to-video second sequel Honey We Shrunk Ourselves didn't do justice to the idea of the at-home scientist accidentally shrinking himself and his wife, before breaking the bad news to her.

So a remake of that would be hugely welcome.

Talking of which, there was a remake of The Incredible Shrinking Man (1957) in the pipeline four years ago that never materialised. It was going to be an Eddie Murphy vehicle though. Shame they always have to make this conceit a comedic idea though. There is of course, the aforementioned Honey I...franchise but also the forgettable sci-fi com, The Incredible Shrinking Woman (1981).  I always wanted the original movie to have an extra twenty minutes tacked on at the end
Spoiler alert
when he becomes the size of an atom
[close]

momatt

Go watch Ant-man, you'll love it! 
Spoiler alert
It has atoms in it.
[close]

greenman

Quote from: momatt on May 02, 2017, 11:28:18 AM
I would like to see Tron 3 please.
Boards of Canada are doing the soundtrack.
Not sure who I'd like to direct.  James Mangold maybe?

Honestly felt the second one was very watchable and ended up catching the 3D backlash when people woke up from the Avatar sugar rush.

TheWoodenSpoon

The Dungeonmaster (also known as Ragewar) needs a remake. Because the original was a big pile of shit, but one with an alright idea for a Saturday afternoon timewaster.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg_DULUakg0

I mean look at it. This is the sort of gubbins which should be remade. Stop taking good movies and making them shit; take shit movies and make them good!

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: momatt on May 03, 2017, 09:24:03 AM
Go watch Ant-man, you'll love it! 
Spoiler alert
It has atoms in it.
[close]

I bought the 3D version on spec from CEX. It's been sitting there on the shelf waiting for a Sunday afternoon viewing opportunity for months now. This will have to be remedied soon.

momatt

I helped that I wasn't expecting much, but it's a really fun film.  Plus it has Gregg Turkington in it.

Ignore Tim's review:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgoanR8BAMA

SteveDave

An American remake of "Withnail And I" starring Owen Wilson and Vince Vaughan with Kelsey Grammar as Uncle Monty.

Gulftastic

The remake of 'Barbarella' that was rumoured around 25 years ago. It was going to star Sherilyn Fenn, then in her Twin Peaks prime.

SteveDave

The Fly but now with a Brundle-Fly where you can't see where the suit all joins together.

Howj Begg

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on April 22, 2017, 10:22:50 PM

Mr Holland's Opus is crying out to be remade with Megan Fox in the title role. Maybe a few fight scenes too. A subplot where Mr Holland has to retrieve his opus from the hideout of a gang of meth-dealers.

AsparagusTrevor

Quote from: SteveDave on May 05, 2017, 03:18:19 PMThe Fly but now with a Brundle-Fly where you can't see where the suit all joins together.
That's just his.. fly.. erm, segments.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: SteveDave on May 05, 2017, 03:18:19 PM
The Fly but now with a Brundle-Fly where you can't see where the suit all joins together.

Avril Lavigne

I would like a Jumanji movie set inside the game (I know there's one currently in production) but expanding upon the weird dark Stephen King style tone that occasionally cropped up in the 1995 movie, in which the boardgame is not that far removed from the dimensional tear in The Mist, basically functioning as a portal to a dimension of nothing but pure nightmares.

momatt

I think it's about time they made a sequel to Spartacus.