Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 01:10:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Silicon Valley season 4

Started by up_the_hampipe, April 24, 2017, 05:53:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

up_the_hampipe

Returned on HBO last night. Good to have it back, even though I can't really remember what happened at the end of season 3. Anyway, just a heads up. Enjoy!

Small Man Big Horse

I thought it was a pretty strong episode and was pleased that nothing went terribly wrong for them or it wasn't too cringeworthy. Lovely to see Bighead just hanging about with the gang again, whilst Russ Hanneman's sweariness and Jared's puppy-esque reaction to
Spoiler alert
Richard leaving
[close]
was very funny stuff.

phantom_power

It is such a strong ensemble that they can enliven what is basically a scene-setting episode. Gillfoyle barely needs to even speak to get a laugh, and the little glimpses into Jared's past life is really sold by the actor

up_the_hampipe

Russ Hanneman is one of my favourite comedy characters at the moment. But I'm an easy laugh when it comes to someone who can't help being vulgar in all situations.

"Let's fuck this right in the pussy"

phantom_power

The kicker to that scene was "Oh fuck, I got him kicked out of this fucking place. I'm at the wrong fucking school" and Richard's warning that he was going to peel out when he drove off

amnesiac

Who doesn't want a 10% increase in resolution
EVERYONE DOESN'T WANT IT

Welcome back Silicon Valley I love you! My fave bit apart from that was GB sending his gimp on 20 x round trips to Shanghai. Worth it!

BeardFaceMan

Jared's "I was just babysitting my friend Gloria's great granddaughter" line killed me. He's such a good character and Zach Woods just nails it every time. This show has a pretty amazing cast.

Timothy

Spoiler alert
Gavin, the plane and the promotion
[close]
and the whole bit with Russ were hilarious.

I wish this was released as a season on HBO instead of each week an episode. I can't wait!

momatt

This episode was rarely laugh-out-loud for me, but I totally agree on the strength of the characters and actors.  They can just sit about taking the piss out of each other and it's funny.  They're like old friends, all idiots and dickheads, but great fun to hang out with anyway.

Also - DJ Shadow feat. Nas in the credits!  Love this tune lots.  They always have great hip hop tunes at the end.
https://soundcloud.com/massappealrecs/dj-shadow-systematic-feat-nas

Really liked the joke where Richard thought everyone was going to follow him as he was talking - and then the slight call back when he came in through the back door as they where waiting to confront him in a row at the front entrance.

It's probably my favourite current running comedy. The cast is excellent. Just hope the change in dynamic and split of teams means we don't fall into the same routine of the last couple of series - looks like they have finally got over the fuck ups and now success! Oh another fuck up.

momatt

True, there's been far too many things fucking up and going wrong for these guys, almost every episode.
It'd be just as funny and a nice change if they become mega-successful and rich, but with all the problems associated with that.

amnesiac

SO good to have Big Head / Little Bear back in the fold and not a peripheral character. Why is he still reading the Wired edition with him on it!

I've got a huge soft spot for Gavin Belson, I sometimes feel like him, that I'm surrounded by idiots and incompetency.

I'm not entirely sold on the plausibility of the decentralised network using mobile phones but I'm sure they did their homework.

Noodle Lizard

Something about Belson making his lackey do that horrible flight 5 more times to prove such a petty point (and his lackey's willingness to do so) had me hooting.

I aspire to be more like Jared.

up_the_hampipe

Oh man, some of that gave me anxiety. Great episode. The "Pied Piper" name has finally paid off. I'm sure they didn't intend that from the start, but it's great that they got there. It's a shame Dinesh as douchebag CEO didn't last longer.

A shame to see Dinesh's new-found sense of self-respect and leadership torpedoed so soon. I thought he looked smart in his little blazer, bless him.

Anyway, another great episode. The final scene in particular - I don't know if it was the brilliantly-timed editing or what - had me in stitches.

McQ

This episode had so many great lines and character moments, but the topper for me was Jared's attempt to maintain bifurcation through guy talk. "Hey, Richard! Have you seen the new Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Edition? The cover model has the most lovely, enigmatic facial expression."

Quote from: clingfilm portent on May 01, 2017, 07:56:04 PM

Anyway, another great episode. The final scene in particular - I don't know if it was the brilliantly-timed editing or what - had me in stitches.

You're right, that was a fawlty towers- 'hotel inspectors' level cut at the end there. Absolutely amazed how this show can keep hitting the reset button unexpectedly and it still not feel contrived or overused. Looking forward to seeing where they go from here especially as I was excepting
Spoiler alert
the dinesh being CEO storyline to last more than one episode!
[close]

maett

Such a fantastically written and acted show, it must be as I have very little knowledge or interest in business, law, coding or tech companies, but is top of my list to watch every week.

Timothy

Great episode. That ending was amazing.

Has some of the best simmering anger exploding into sweary rage moments of any programme.

phantom_power

Quote from: clingfilm portent on May 01, 2017, 07:56:04 PM
A shame to see Dinesh's new-found sense of self-respect and leadership torpedoed so soon. I thought he looked smart in his little blazer, bless him.

For me it was the list of names (to paraphrase) "Tiffany, Rachel, Amber, Lauren, Jessica, Dave" followed by "Who would say that the new terms of service screen made them feel nervous?"

That ending had me full on guffawing when watching at home alone, which doesn't happen often.

The gormless, sheepishness of the actor was something. I wonder if they even told him he was playing a 'predator'.

Slightly annoying to see them go back to 'they fuck up' formula again. Presume the whole gang get behind Richards big internet idea. Guessing the end game will be Jing Jang will have a billion dollar idea eventually.

hewantstolurkatad

Quote from: funtimefrankie on May 02, 2017, 10:55:39 AM
That ending had me full on guffawing when watching at home alone, which doesn't happen often.

The gormless, sheepishness of the actor was something. I wonder if they even told him he was playing a 'predator'.

Slightly annoying to see them go back to 'they fuck up' formula again. Presume the whole gang get behind Richards big internet idea. Guessing the end game will be Jing Jang will have a billion dollar idea eventually.
I'd say more than slightly however I'm interested in the fact that they've really pulled the legs out of the obvious season structure of "new idea at end of last season grows only to absolutely fall apart at the end of the season".

Guessing the end game will be Jing Jang will have a billion dollar idea eventually.

Spoiler alert
Octopus.
[close]

Squink

So great. A couple of favourite things from this episode: "hards-on" and "well, first of all, everyone reads the terms of service..."

TheManOne

Quote from: McQ on May 01, 2017, 08:18:31 PM
"Hey, Richard! Have you seen the new Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Edition? The cover model has the most lovely, enigmatic facial expression."

Wonderful.

momatt

That was a great episode, full of jokes and memorable lines after a slightly slow season-opener.

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on May 01, 2017, 07:51:19 PM
It's a shame Dinesh as douchebag CEO didn't last longer.
Yes, I really liked how unexpectedly fantastic he was at it.  A few more episodes would have been nice.

Slightly annoying to see them go back to 'they fuck up' formula again.
I'm getting a bit annoyed by this too.  Not enough to ruin a fantastic show, but it's getting a little too silly now.  They seem to be churning though ideas and projects far too quickly!

BeardFaceMan

See, the 'fucking up' formula doesn't bother really bother me, they're trying to create a brand new multi billion company that will revolutionize tech, from scratch, so I'd actually be really disappointed if they didn't suffer a load of setbacks and just got what they wanted straight away. Giving characters what they want too early is usually a good way to kill the comedy so I'm all for the setbacks, and of course more setbacks mean more episodes which can only be good with a cast and crew like this show has. Even though they keep suffering setbacks the show has yet to stagnate, the plot keeps moving forward, they're not repeating themselves yet so I'm ok with it.

notjosh

Quote from: momatt on May 03, 2017, 09:32:48 AM
I'm getting a bit annoyed by this too.  Not enough to ruin a fantastic show, but it's getting a little too silly now.  They seem to be churning though ideas and projects far too quickly!

I'm getting a bit annoyed by this Delboy character. He seems to be churning through business ideas and defective products far too quickly. It's getting a little too silly now!

Just being facetious really. I do like it when the series arc has a bit more momentum behind it, bit I also like the fact that you never quite know when an enterprise is going to fail - sort of like you never know who is going to die in Game of Thrones. The aborted Skunk Works plan was a great example of that. Hope this series ends on a success though.

amnesiac

I really get the impression that Richard's decentralised network will prove successful just by the way it was played down. Also where's the female characters this year?

Jing Jang is my new favourite peripheral; a total pain in the arse non-enigmatic non-geek stereotype. I love the way he gets under Erlich's skin.

I'm so pleased that non-techies love this show, it probably wouldn't have survived without you guys.