Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:01:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Times you've just gone "mate" - cinema edition

Started by madhair60, April 25, 2017, 11:24:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr Syntax Head

Mad Max Fury Road. I went 'MATE' because it was both really fucking stupid[nb]Max strapped to the car in a sandstorm, it would have flayed the entirety of his skin from his body in seconds[/nb]but also massively 'MATE' in a fucking hell that is one cool car chase way. It's the double 'MATE'

New page That's mine!

mothman

Quote from: icehaven on April 25, 2017, 04:05:06 PM
Was it Skyline? I can't stand it when people talk in the cinema, drives me mad even if the film's crap, but I was more than happy when half the audience seemed to be openly mocking this one, it was far more entertaining than the film, which was a mate-fest from about 10 minutes in.

God, no. Did anyone go see that in the cinema?! It might have been the tidal-wave kite-surfing scene in Die Another Day. Or indeed any other part of Die Another Day.

phantom_power

Quote from: thenoise on April 25, 2017, 01:09:17 PM
Star Wars: Attach of the Clones - several times, but especially 'My goodness you've grown' / 'So have you ... grown more beautiful that is' (vomits)

All that stuff about sand being rough and her being smooth as well. He may as well have been wearing a fucking fedora

Icehaven

Quote from: mothman on April 25, 2017, 05:31:50 PM
God, no. Did anyone go see that in the cinema?

Me, the friends I was visiting in Leeds who made me go, and quite a few other Leeds residents as it was a fairly busy showing. Definitely descended into open mockery towards the end though, and no one seemed to mind at all, first and sadly only time I've ever been a willing party to openly collusive cinema etiquette mutiny, YEAH!! Mate. 

zomgmouse

Ex Machina.

"I know you know what the Turing Test is but I'm gonna tell you anyway."

Mate.

greenman

Surely "mate" would be more appropriate to a Legend Gary like individual scroffing at some kind of drama for fear of revealing any emotional reaction to it?

Povidone

Oooh just remembered the ending to Silent House: an Argentinian horror film that manages just about passable until the final shot which renders the entire film maaaaaaaate

Kane Jones

the tidal-wave kite-surfing scene in Die Another Day.

Christ yes. That's one of the biggest 'mate' moments in any film ever. I think I literally cringed myself up into my own anus during that scene.

BlodwynPig

God, no. Did anyone go see that in the cinema?! It might have been the tidal-wave kite-surfing scene in Die Another Day. Or indeed any other part of Die Another Day.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Povidone on April 26, 2017, 06:30:11 AM
Oooh just remembered the ending to Silent House: an Argentinian horror film that manages just about passable until the final shot which renders the entire film maaaaaaaate

Uruguayan?

Povidone

Possibly...didnt check before posting and damned if I'm going to now. It was shite, that's what's important to remember here.

studpuppet

All of A View To A Kill. There's a brilliant two hour episode of 'How Did This Get Made?' that is just Americans saying "mate" lots of times without actually saying it. Everything from inventing snowboarding, to the butterfly dance scene (this takes 30mins to disect by itself), and the phrase "fuck sub".

http://nerdist.com/james-bonding-026-a-view-to-a-kill-live-with-how-did-this-get-made/

Mini

Quote from: Povidone on April 26, 2017, 06:30:11 AM

And the ending to Switchblade Romance.

Mate.

Kane Jones

Quote from: studpuppet on April 26, 2017, 09:55:09 AM
All of A View To A Kill. There's a brilliant two hour episode of 'How Did This Get Made?' that is just Americans saying "mate" lots of times without actually saying it. Everything from inventing snowboarding, to the butterfly dance scene (this takes 30mins to disect by itself), and the phrase "fuck sub".

http://nerdist.com/james-bonding-026-a-view-to-a-kill-live-with-how-did-this-get-made/

And yet it's Biggytitbo's favourite Bond film. I'm still certain his love for it can only be because it was the first Bond film his Daddy took him to see at the cinema as it's absolute fucking dreck apart from Christopher Walken and the score/theme song.

Mr Banlon

I saw Freejack at the cinema. Is was pretty 'mate !' from start to finish.

Sebastian Cobb

The die hard 4 bit where they send a car flying into a helicopter.

studpuppet

Quote from: Kane Jones on April 26, 2017, 10:09:29 AM
I'm still certain his love for it can only be because it was the first Bond film his Daddy took him to see at the cinema

Yep - try an disavow me of the opinion that The Spy Who Loves Me doesn't have the best plot, villains, gadgets, cars, quips or stunts, and see where it gets you.

Maurice Yeatman

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on April 25, 2017, 05:10:43 PM
The fact that it's a rip-off of Poltergeist was iffy, but I went with it.

Talking of which, the end of Poltergeist II https://youtu.be/Yp2w2XxXKD4?t=1m4s

Watched Julia's Eyes the other day - great film, but "the universe in her eyes" zoom at the end...

Maurice Yeatman

And any time someone staring at a screen says "Enhance!".

Phil_A

Lucy. Ends with the main character
Spoiler alert
getting so much brain power she travels back in time and becomes the genesis of all humankind
[close]
. MATE.
Monster A Go-Go. "Suddenly, there was no monster!" Oh, mate.
The Last Broadcast. The man making the film
Spoiler alert
investigating the murders is also the murderer somehow, even though we're watching a documentary about him trying to solve the murders.
[close]
MAAAAAAAAAAAAAATE.

Gulftastic

Hannibal Lector, super-genius and one of the most dangerous people in the world is coming to town. Let's lock him in a big cage in the middle of a deserted library and have a couple of fat old coppers to guard him. Mate.

MoonDust

My mum went to the cinema to watch Hellraiser back when it was first released, and she says pretty much everyone in the cinema laughed at the "Jesus wept!" line.

I guess that was a "mate" moment.

Van Dammage

Quote from: Mini on April 26, 2017, 10:03:06 AM
And the ending to Switchblade Romance.

Mate.

It was perfectly good Dean Koontz rip off until that point

Quote from: Phil_A on April 26, 2017, 11:07:38 AM

The Last Broadcast. The man making the film
Spoiler alert
investigating the murders is also the murderer somehow, even though we're watching a documentary about him trying to solve the murders.
[close]
MAAAAAAAAAAAAAATE.

The most annoying thing about that part was that it changed into a proper film style. So fucking shite. I was really enjoying it up until that point.

The end of mediocre 90s teen horror romp Cherry Falls. Mate.

The end of Shutter Island. Mate.

The entirety of Wild Hogs. Well, I switched it off before the end, but Mate.

Van Helsing in retrospect seems like a film that had "Mate" as its basic founding idea, like they added all the monster movie shit afterwards.

sprocket

Or pretty much any time Legolas featured in the Hobbit trilogy.

Small Man Big Horse

Every time James McAvoy is on screen in Split.